xii

Together

 

 

So Eun placed a pill on top of a tissue paper, that was placed on the coffee table, alongside with a glass of warm water. Ara took it gratefully and swallowed the pill. Junho sat next to Ara with his arms crossed. 

It turns out that Ara was having a fever and she refused to seek for professional medical help. So Eun couldn't tolerate watching a sick friend without doing anything helpful, thus she offered a fever pill that she stored at home. 

"I would like to talk you," Ara said to So Eun after she felt better. "Alone."

Junho nodded as if he understood that it was the cue for him to leave. "I will be outside," he said. 

Once he went out, Ara told So Eun to sit down. 

"I had a fight with parents just now," Ara started. "They want me to go to Julliard in New York."

"What?" So Eun asked in bewilderment. Why would Ara be mad at her parents for that?

"I know, I know. I should be lucky and all to be able to go to that famous school, but I don't want to. I am not prepared to leave here," she said. "You know my parents. They are scary and cold-hearted. They didn't raise me, my grandmother did. When she passed away when I was seven, I had to move in to my parents' house. My parents aren't the ideal parents a seven years old girl should have."

"They have always been deciding my life for me," she continued. "Even coming to Chung-Ang to pursue acting is their plan. Becoming an actress is never my plan. But I went with it anyway, knowing that I couldn't win. But, I cannot stand it anymore. I am not a kid. I don't need them controlling my life. They don't even care that I am sick."

"So, now, I want you to play my role for the opening night," Ara said.

"What?" So Eun was in shock again. Opening night is the most important night of all. It is when all the stage play critics, head of departments, the boss of Chung-Ang and press medias are present among the audience. What in the world is Ara doing? So Eun reached for Ara's forehead. "You still have high fever, don't you?" 

Ara laughed. "No, I am being serious, So Eun. I want you to play it. You are an excellent actress and it's a waste if that talent is not put into use. Plus, I am sure the public is bored of seeing me anyway," she said.

"B-but..."

"No buts," Ara said firmly. "I'll talk to Miss Jo about it. I am sure she will agree." She stood up from the couch. She walked towards the door and stopped midway.

"Oh, how is it going with Junho? To see both of you together even at this hour is very suspicious," Ara teased. So Eun could only blush.

Ara smirked and held So Eun's shoulder. "Jokes aside, I am glad to have you as my friend."

"Should I go with you? You know to talk to your parents?" So Eun asked quickly.

"Thanks, but no thanks," Ara said. "They are my parents, not yours. And, they won't kick me out. If not, it will news all over town."

 


 

Ara walked towards her expensive car that was parked on the far end of the entrance. While Junho parked right in front of the entrance. So Eun stood there, watching Ara get into her car. 

"I'll follow her, you know, to make sure she reach home safe and sound," Junho said with his window rolled down. 

So Eun turned to look at him. "Thanks," she said. He knew she was worried about Ara. It's amazing how he can read So Eun so easily. 

"Ah, about you asking me out..." So Eun started.

"Don't worry about it. You don't have to give me an answer right away. I am sure you have a lot on your plate right now," Junho said with a smile.

So Eun smiled back. Then, as Ara drove past Junho, he rolled back up his window and drove away. So Eun stood there, watching as both of their cars disappear to the other road. 

For some reason, she felt like everything is falling into place. She is going to play the lead role that she had been dreaming for a year. She is definitely say yes to Junho when the time is right. And she finally felt that she gotten much closer Ara, but she would love to help Ara as much as she can to stand up to her parents. 

She sighed and walked back into building. Now, she waits for the opening night. 

 


 

After an entire day of last minute rehearsal, So Eun found herself standing behind the curtain wearing the costume Ara wore during the countless rehearsals So Eun had watched from the audience seat. She could hear the excited audience and that sound alone made her nervous.

She is playing the lead role. She is not going to let anyone down, especially Ara who gave her this chance.

Speaking of Ara, she didn't show up for classes for days, but she showed up for the last minute rehearsal. She helped So Eun out with the lines and even helped modified the costume for her, since So Eun am not as tall as Ara, the dress was a bit long.

And because So Eun was so busy with the play, she hardly had the time to speak to Junho. She couldn't wait to let him know how she felt, but she knew he would understand how important this play meant to her.

"Junho's here. In the audience," Taecyeon whispered into her ears. She felt her cheeks warmed up, which only made Taecyeon chuckled. Taecyeon is playing the male lead, and So Eun has a kiss scene with him. Just the thought of Junho watching it is embarassing.

"Break a leg, So Eun," Taecyeon said before walking to his position. 

 


 

The play was a success. At least that was what Junho thought, but he was sure his assumption wasn't far off the truth. At the end of the play, the audience gave a standing ovation. His friends loved it, and so did Junho himself. He was glad that So Eun was finally able to reach her dream. 

Sunye and her husband were there too. Sunye clapped and cheered so hard that she almost cried. It was as if she watched her own daughter receiving a gold medal. To Junho, it was rather a funny sight, but he was proud of So Eun nonetheless.

Ara and her parents were in the first row. Ara might look happy for So Eun, but her parents, not so much. Her parents left early after bidding farewell to Chung-Ang's chief. 

Then before he knew it, he was invited for an after party in Ara's apartment. Her own apartment. His friends were invited as well, and so were the cast members. Once he arrived at the venue, he almost regret coming. It was so crowded even though Ara's place is huge. But Junho stayed anyway. He needed to look for So Eun. 

After much effort, he still couldn't spot her. He decided to take a break by joining his friends who were sipping drinks by the corner. 

"Looks like they are playing '7 Minutes In Heaven'," Wooyoung said after listening to Ara announcing something through the crowd. Junho rolled his eyes. He didn't know this Ara anymore. What happened to her classy image? Now, she is trying to make people play such a game. 

"There are three girls personally chosen by me in three closets each!" Ara shouted across the room. The boys crowd around her, trying to listen or perhaps catch the girl they like in the closet.

Junho didn't pay much attention to Ara's announcement until a certain name was called. 

"Our star tonight, Kim So Eun!" Ara announced. 

Junho stopped breathing. 

"Kim So Eun," Taecyeon repeated. "Wow, looks like the crowd is getting excited."

Junho left his friends without any words and walked towards Ara. She had a smug face. 

"Why is So Eun playing this game?" he questioned. Isn't she afraid of any random guy taking advantage of her?

"I forced her to play," Ara simply replied.

"I thought you are her friend," Junho said.

"I am," Ara replied. Then she leaned closer to Junho. "If you are so worried about her, why don't you play? We will see how much fate the both of you have."

Junho gulped. "Fine, I will play," he decided. The crowd cheered for him as Ara pushed him forward. There are three closets in Ara's place. He would need to find one and enter. What if he didn't find So Eun? 

He took a deep breath.

I'll find you.

 


 

 

 

 

Oh? :)

A quick update, so I apologize for any mistakes.

I have this habit of not checking my work before publishing lol