Chapter 2

Fate-given clues

 

It was Sunday that week when Chen finally got the date he wanted with his friends.

                “Hey, mall on Sunday. You guys free?” Yixing messaged the two a day before.

                “LET’S WATCH A MOVIE!” the youngest of them replied happily.

                “Sure! You guys can help me pick a Valentines gift as well.” Luhan replied.

And so the three of them have already spent thirty minutes entering and exiting stores that sell couple stuff. It may not be the “date” Chen wanted, but at least they were together, he thought.

“You haven’t thought about what to give him, have you?” Yixing asked the oldest as they entered another store - the sixth one, Yixing counted.

“You guessed…?” Luhan smiled in reply.

“Yeah. The fact that you pick up everything and put them back was helpful.”

“I just don’t know what he’ll like, you know? One month is too short to know what he prefers…”

“But hyung, haven’t you guys known each other longer?” Chen asked as he examined a random shirt hanging on the rack.

“Yeah… but during that time, I didn’t really think we would become like this, you know? I kept avoiding him then…”

“Oh, right. You were even barely at the office before the two of you got together,” the youngest remembered.

“Yeah!” Yixing added. “Remember, hyung was like: ‘I can’t go out! I don’t want to see him. Make him go away from our company!’” he said with in an exaggerated tone, causing the two to laugh.

“Funny,” Luhan deadpanned, ignoring the controlled laughs of his two younger friends. “So, what do you think of these?” he asked as he examined a few shirts displayed, raising them for the other two to see.

 

 

 

“Hey man!” Yifan heard someone call him.

                It may be Sunday, but it doesn’t mean that Yifan is sure that he doesn’t have work. Today, in particular, he was in another photo shoot for a magazine or a catalog, he doesn’t really remember or care to remember; for him, it meant just another day he couldn’t sleep in. But at least he was with two of his friends for this shoot - that made it less troublesome and stressful, Yifan thinks.

“Are we being called back already?” Yifan asked.

“No, not yet,” Chanyeol replied. “Why are you in such a hurry to work?” the younger laughed.

“I just want to get this over with. Honestly, I should be sleeping now.”

“Working on weekends ain’t that bad…”

Instead of replying, Yifan just took another sip of his coffee and watched the other sit and continue to talk.

“So I asked the stylists to give me a different suit cuz grey suits don’t really go well with me but they were like: ‘the three of you need to be in grey’ but I was like: ‘can’t we just be all in black?’ and then they just ignored me, how rude of them. Can you believe that? I was actually making a suggestion that could help the output to look nicer…”

“Grey’s fine, honestly.”

“Says someone that doesn’t have a problem with clothes…”

“Can’t do anything about that. You’re just unlucky that you aren’t as good-looking as me.”

“Pfft,” Chanyeol just rolled his eyes in response. “So anyways, how are things with Miss Cover Girl?” he smirked.

“We’re turning two months next week.”

“Wow! That’s a record! Beats your previous one month and two weeks relationship with that girl from that one agency…”

“I guess…” Yifan shook.

“So…” the younger smiled.

“So?”

“How many times did you get some lovin’ already?”

“I plan to start counting this Valentines…”

“What?!” obviously the reply took Chanyeol by surprise. “You haven’t slept with her yet?! You ARE Yifan, right?!”

“Stop shouting, stupid!” Yifan flicked the other’s forehead. “I plan to take this one carefully…”

“What? Why? Don’t you always sleep with your girl within the first week??”

“What are you guys talking about??” Sehun suddenly popped in the middle of them.

“Nothing minors should be concerned about.” Yifan replied.

“I’m not a minor! How many times should I tell you that? Just because I’m still in my last year of college doesn’t mean our ages are THAT far…” Sehun explained as he sat beside Yifan.

“I agree. You even look older than me.” Chanyeol commented.

Making a face of hurt, Sehun moved back as he placed a hand on his chest. “That hurt, hyung.”

“It’s true.”

“It’s not,” the youngest said as he took a sip of Yifan coffee, which the older didn’t mind. “So, what are you guys talking about?”

“Hyung’s lack of life,” Chanyeol answered.

“I do not lack anything,” the oldest replied.

“But aren’t you dating that girl… whatever her name is…” Sehun said as he tried to recall the name of the girl.

“He is, but he still ain’t gettin some,” Chanyeol said.

“Why? Is it because of her? Is she not that appetizing?”

“I doubt. She’s too hot to ignore, honestly.”

“Then is it because of hyung? Does he not want it?” Sehun said as he took another sip of coffee.

“How can he not want it? It’s probably because he knows he isn’t good enough to please her…”

“That could be it…”

“Guys,” Yifan said firmly with his arms crossed. “I’m right here.”

“If you think you aren’t good enough, hyung, you can search the net for some tips…” the youngest continued, ignoring the bit of annoyed tone Yifan had.

“Yeah, there are a lot of sites that -“ Chanyeol added before being cut off.

“Kids, it’s not about that.” Yifan said.

“Then?” the two chorused.

Knowing that he couldn’t escape the curiosity of the two, Yifan sighed before answering. “It’s just that… I’m hoping she’s a special case, you know?”

“Wow,” Sehun said, resting his back on the chair. “I didn’t take you for a romantic, hyung.”

“Same here,” Chanyeol added.

“Why?” Yifan asked Sehun. “Are you the only one allowed to have a proper relationship?”

“It’s not that,” the youngest said. “Just, considering how many people you’ve been with, I didn’t think you were looking for anything serious soon…”

“Well, I’m not particularly looking for it, but I’m not exactly avoiding it as well. Just going with what there is…”

“I hope you have a ‘happily ever after’ then,” Chanyeol teased as he saw the coordinators call them back in. “Time for work!” he announced as he stood up.

“A ‘happily ever after’ huh?” Yifan mumbled to himself as he followed the other two models back in the studio.

 

At some point, Yifan would have to agree with Sehun. Considering the number of people he dated and slept with, a stable relationship seems to be out of the ordinary. But what he said was true, it wasn’t that he was avoiding something serious, he just felt that he needed to do a bit of research and comparison before embracing a true relationship. He felt that it was something he had to do - meet people, have fun, and evaluate his feelings for a while. What he was looking for was something that can prove that a life with that person can be stable. He wanted a proof or a hint that a relationship with this person would last longer than a month. He just wanted something that would keep him on returning to that person every time; he was looking for a feeling that would make him not care if he keeps on seeing that person every day. However, up until now, he has yet to see that clue. He does hope though that this current relationship would be different.

 

 

 

“For the last time, hyung, that neck pillow is fine,” Chen sighed for the fourth time as Luhan kept asking them if the pillow would do well as a Valentines gift.

“But wouldn’t it be a bit too simple…?” Luhan examined the pillow he was holding.

“It’s fine, hyung.” Chen said. “Hyung, tell hyung that it’s fine,” he told Yixing.

“It’ll be a good gift, Luhan-hyung,” Yixing said as he was pinching a pillow in front of him.

“Are you guys sure??” the oldest doesn’t seem to be entirely convinced.

“YES!” Chen answered a bit loudly.

“If you want,” Yixing said. “You can just give him that AND chocolates,” he suggested.

“That’s brilliant!!” Luhan smiled assured for the first time today.

“Thank god,” Chen rolled his eyes.

“Okay, let me pay for this first and then we can go buy chocolates.”

“And then movie??” Chen asked as he wondered where “watching a movie” fell on their list of things-to-do that day.

“Yes, and then movie,” Luhan answered.

“Hyung wait,” Yixing shouted as he followed Luhan to the counter. “I want to buy this pillow as well…” he said, holding a circular pillow that had a smiley on both sides - one smiling and one frowning. It was cute, he thought ever since he saw that when they entered the store.

 

Luhan was the first one to pay. He made sure that the price tag was removed - by asking four times just because asking once didn’t settle his paranoia. He had the neck pillow in a big paper bag, tied by a white ribbon, as well so that he no longer needs to wrap it himself.

By the time Yixing was at the counter, he had already the exact amount of money out; ready to pay.

“Oh sir, I’m sorry but this pillow can only be bought by pairs…”the staff said.

“But I only need one…” Yixing tried to reason.

“Sorry sir, but it’s part of the promo. You can’t buy it individually, I’m sorry,” the girl apologized sincerely.

“Just buy two if you really want it, Yixing,” Luhan suggested from his side.

Yixing sighed because he didn’t really need two, but he wanted to buy that pillow as well. He thought his room needed some things to make it livelier. Up until now, his room was mostly stuff for work: camera lenses, stuff to clean his camera, and photos. The only things not work-related were perhaps his guitar and keyboard that he plays once in a while when he has nothing to do.

“Fine,” he thought as he agreed to buy the pair of pillows and took out his wallet to get more bills.

 

The friends’ trip to the mall didn’t stop there, much to Chen’s annoyance. The movie tickets they managed to buy was for the show two hours from the time they bought it - the previous screening had just started when they were waiting in line. Chen wanted to catch it, but Luhan and Yixing refused, saying they want to start the movie properly and it wasn’t like they were in a hurry anyway.

The two hours of waiting became another two hours of buying random things. Clothes, accessories, and a few CDs since the three of them really like music. By the time they entered the cinema, all of them had purchased at least thrice. Even Chen didn’t seem to buy the extra hours of shopping.

 

 

 

When Yifan went home that night, he managed to catch Yixing opening a few paper bags that were placed on top of their dining table.

“Oh,” Yifan said. “You went out?”

A bit surprised by the sudden greeting, Yixing turned his head towards his roommate. “Oh, hyung you’re back.” He greeted. “And yeah; we helped Luhan-hyung buy a Valentines gift.”

“Seems like you did more than just ‘help’…” the older said eyeing the number of paper bags as soon as he approached the table.

“Yeah,” Yixing laughed. “It’s kind of hard not to buy something for myself…”

“Well did you have fun shopping?”

“I did,” the younger smiled - his famous dimple smile that the female employees at their company find really cute and irresistible. “But I spent more than I was prepared to…” he pouted.

“At least you bought stuff for yourself…” Yifan said as he continued to watch a happy Yixing taking out his purchases.

“Oh, hyung!” Yixing suddenly exclaimed.

“Hmm?” Yifan snapped back.

“Do you want a pillow?” the younger asked as he took out one circular pillow for the bags.

“Pillow?”

“Yeah. I wanted to buy one for myself but,” he said as he took out another. “Turns out they only sell it by pairs so I had no choice but to get two. I don’t really need two; it’ll make my bed less roomy.”

“Well, if you’re sure you want to give it to me…” Yifan said as he reached out for one pillow.

“Yes, please. It’s funny actually, a lot of the things I bought were only sold in pairs… probably because it was Valentines…” the younger mumbled on as he continued to unpack. “I also got a new shirt, a cup, and a paper weight. The shirt and cup were for pairs so Chen and I decided to get one each. Seriously, all those promos robbed me today. Even this box of chocolate had to be bought by two’s!” Yixing said as he took out the box - a bit smaller than the one Luhan bought for Sehun.

“You seem to have enjoyed yourself today…” Yifan just laughed at the other.

“Here, want some?” Yixing offered after he opened the box of chocolate.

“Thanks,” the older said as he grabbed two pieces. “And thank you for the pillow. I’m going to sleep now, modeling and looking good is tiring…” he added before he started to walk towards his room.

“You’re so full of yourself, hyung.”

“Models should have confidence.”

“Don’t worry, you got that one down.”

Laughing, Yifan just waved back. “Make sure to clean up. Good night.”

“Good night. And of course I’ll clean up; I’m not the messy one in this apartment…” Yixing managed to say before hearing Yifan’s door shut close.

 

 

 

It was when he was on his bed, playing with his new pillow, that Yifan managed to think about what he, Sehun, and Chanyeol were talking about earlier. He was tired after a day’s work, but he just can’t sleep that easily tonight. So he found himself juggling the pillow, throwing it to the roof and catching it.

He wonders why he thought of going stable this time. Perhaps, he thought, that he just wants something that won’t change in his life. He’d always been the one that doesn’t take things too seriously; he was one of those that think that everything is bound to change anyway. Just like modeling, he thought; after you model for a brand or for a company, it’s not like you’ll always be part of that company. You’re just tied to them for as long as the contract would state or for as long as your poster is displayed on their store. “Maybe that’s why,” he thought, convincing himself that it is the reason why he’s thinking about going steady now.

“Are you the only one allowed to have a proper relationship?” he remembered asking Sehun.

“I think a proper relationship wouldn’t hurt…” he said before he failed to catch his new pillow which ends up falling on his face. And then it hit him.

“Oh! I haven’t bought a gift for her this Valentines yet…” he whispered. “I’ll buy one tomorrow, I don’t have anything to do anyway…” he thought to himself before setting himself to sleep.

That night, he slept on his side, embracing a circle pillow which coincidentally had the frowning side showing.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys! I just want to thank you for the kind comments! I’ll try to do my best for this fic, I promise! ^^ Keep on the comments coming and subscribe! Teehee (shameless promoting). But for now, here’s the second chapter, hope you enjoy it!  >.<