Chapter 3

Fate-given clues

 

Thursday; four days before Valentines.


It was one of the few times when Yixing and Yifan decided to order take-out and eat at their apartment. They’ve done it a few times now - the usual reason being that the place they want to eat in is packed with people. However, they also ordered take-out when Yixing was feeling down after the break-up with his previous relationship and when Yixing was facing a career slump.

 

But today, in particular, Yifan was the one who suggested eating in their apartment. They ordered food at this restaurant near their office building and drove home immediately.

 

“Hey Xing,” Yifan asked as they were seating at their table. “Can I ask you a question?”

“You already did,” Yixing answered with a teasing smile.

“Then can I ask you another two questions?”

“You already did…” the younger said before realizing. “Oh, fine. Ask,” he added before mouthing a “tsk”.

“What do you think about ‘love’?” the older asked, stuttering a bit because of embarrassment.

“Wow,” Yixing said before pausing. “What an unexpected question for someone like you…”

“Hey. I’m being serious here.”

“So am I.”

“Just answer it.”

“Hmmm,” the younger said before taking another spoonful of his food. “I think ‘love’ is something you are not prepared for but you welcome it nonetheless…”

After a few seconds of thinking, Yifan added: “But when do you think you should welcome it? Like, from whom should I welcome it?”

“I think you’re the only person that can know whom to receive it from…”

Then Yifan was silently eating his meal. He was hoping that he could get a concrete answer from Yixing; something that can help him determine that his current relationship is something that can last. But, as always, Yixing’s somewhat philosophical answer didn’t help a bit. “How am I supposed to know?” he thought.

“Wow, hyung,” Yixing said as he observed the other. “It’s rare to see you think that deep...”

“Shut up.”

“But seriously, what’s bothering you?”

“It’s just that…” Yifan began. He knew that if there is someone he can tell about his thoughts, it was Yixing. Chanyeol would be a good choice too but it’s hard to find a good timing to talk to a serious Chanyeol. “It’s just that I’m thinking to take her seriously, you know? Like, I think I should try to make this relationship actually work…”

“And by that, you mean?” Yixing asked, not fully understanding.

“I mean go steady, have years with her, live with her, have a family?”

“Oh,” the younger managed to say after realizing and before staying silent.

“She’s a great girl, honestly. She’s funny and kind and caring… I think she’s a good choice to form a stable life with…” Yifan said, seemingly convincing himself.

“She is,” Yixing replied with eyes focused on his meal.

“And I think that we’re both in the right age to start thinking about going steady…”

“Yeah, you both are.”

“Yes. And it wouldn’t be much of a trouble because we both understand a model’s life.”

“Yeah, that’s a great thing too.”

“Great!” Yifan exclaimed as he clapped his hands once. “I’m glad I talked to you, Xing. I feel like I’m making the right decision.”

“Decision??” the younger said as he looked at the other.

“Yeah. I’ll come clean to her this Valentines, give her a present, confess, and then do my best for this relationship.”

“Oh… You… you bought something for her?”

“Yup. A necklace, and it wasn’t cheap, you know, but hey, it’s all good since I’m now investing for this relationship…”

“I… I see…”

“It was a nice talk, Xing,” Yifan said happily as he stood up and walked towards the younger. “Thanks, bro.” he added as he ruffled Yixing’s hair. “I’m done eating. I’ll go to bed first, okay?”

“Okay, sure…” Yixing mumbled as he looked at his meal. Suddenly, his take-out didn’t seem to be as appetizing as before.

 

 

What ruined his mood during dinner was the only thing in Yixing’s mind as he was trying to sleep that night. “A stable one, huh?” he thought.

Somehow, Yixing was sure that Yifan is the type that would be single in his entire life; that he would be stuck with a free-soul Yifan until they grow old - something that he didn’t mind, honestly. His mind was kind of set on meeting a new girlfriend of Yifan every other month. But tonight’s conversation somehow ruined that expectation.

“I guess he really wants to take this seriously…”

Yixing is one of the people that knew why Yifan was never serious with his girls. One, Yifan seldom initiates the conversations, the girl was always the first one to call or message him. Two, Yifan cancels planned dates even on the last minute when he doesn’t feel like going anymore. And three, Yifan never bought presents; he paid for the meals when they eat out, but he never bought something for a girl. But this time, Yifan bought her a present - a Valentines gift even. It was perhaps this that assured Yixing that Yifan was indeed taking this one relationship differently.

“But what is it to me? I mean, it’s great that he’s finally taking something serious…” he whispered.

Yixing didn’t know why. It’s not like he should have any say in Yifan’s life nor is it that Yifan should just remain his friend forever. But somehow, he just felt something crumble when Yifan talked to him a while ago. Would anything change? Would he see less of his friend now?

“I guess it just took me by surprise,” he thought as a conclusion. “I’m being silly. We’ll still be close even if he has a girlfriend… or a wife…”

However, the last thought somehow caused another something to crumble in Yixing - something that he has yet to know but decided that he doesn’t intend to find out and he drifted to sleep.

 

 

The following day, Yixing decided to talk to his two best friends - something that he regretted immediately as Luhan started shouting.

“You’re jealous!!!” Luhan exclaimed as the three of them were walking in the corridor of their office.

“I AM NOT!” Yixing countered.

“You’re blushing!!!!” Chen shouted.

“THAT’S NOT TRUE!”

Then the two stared intently at Yixing, seemingly examining him. “You seem to be jealous…”

“I… am not, Why would I be? I’m his friend, not his lover…”

But somehow, that statement made the smiles on Luhan’s and Chen’s face wider. “So that’s it, huh?” Chen asked.

“Wha-what?” Yixing asked as he avoided the eyes of the two.

“You want to be his lover, huh?” Luhan teased.

“I DO NOT!!”

“You’re blushing!!!” the oldest shouted before grabbing Chen’s hand.

“YIXING’S JEALOUS!!” the two shouted as they spun around and jumped.

“Shut up! That’s not true! Stop making assumptions,” Yixing said as he tried to calm the other two. “Keep quiet! People can hear you!”

“And why do you care if people heard, hyung?” Chen asked.

“He cares because it’s true!” Luhan teased and the two began jumping again.

“Seriously… I should’ve known that this would happen…” Yixing mumbled as he massaged his head and walked away.

But Luhan and Chen followed him, well, hopped after him.

“So, when are you gonna confess?” Luhan asked.

“Wha-?? I will not!”

“So you’re going to keep your love a secret?” Chen asked.

“My WHAT? There IS nothing to be kept a secret.”

“So you’re going to confess?”

“No.”

“Then you’ll just not tell him?”

“Ye- No… wait, what? I have no feelings for -“

“But Yixing, it’s not good to keep your love a secret. Trust me, hyung knows.”

“I am not keeping anything a secret because there isn’t anything to be a secret!” Yixing stated as he stomped further away from the two.

“He’s definitely guilty,” Chen whispered.

“My Xing-Xing is in love…” Luhan smiled.

“I AM FOUR STEPS AWAY FROM YOU; I can hear you!”

“Hear what?” Yifan, who suddenly entered the corridor, asked.

“Oh, hi Yifan…” Luhan and Chen said at the same time, both supporting smirks.

“Gaaaahhh-” Yixing grumbled as he walked away.

“What’s that about?” Yifan asked the two, pointing at the annoyed Yixing making his way to their office.

“I don’t know, you tell me,” Chen said.

“He seems angry…” Sehun said as he and Chanyeol was able to catch up.

“Sehunnie!!” Luhan shouted as he walked towards the others.

“Hey, baby…” the younger said as he took the other for a hug.

“Eww,” Chen and Chanyeol said.

“What’s the matter with Xing?” Yifan asked again, as he seemed to be the only one still focused on the event before.

“It’s…” Chen said as he rubbed his neck. He knew that this is something that he should not interfere, something that needs to be taken care of by the two involved. “Hyung, it’s…” he said, looking at Luhan, hoping to have the other answer instead.

“Our Yixing just needs to decide on something. We gave suggestions, but he didn’t like them,” Luhan explained.

“And this ‘something’ is?” Yifan asked.

“Try asking him yourself later… But for now, let’s go eat! I suddenly feel very happy.” Luhan announced as he dragged Sehun to the office’s canteen.

 

 

Much to Yixing’s annoyance, the “talk” with his best friends continued until that night in their chat.

Yixing:                  I’m telling you guys, it’s impossible for me to have feelings for him.

Chen:                    Why?

Luhan:                  Yeah, why? Give us a good reason.

Yixing:                  Cuz I’m his best friend and roommate.

Chen:                    These do not seem to be a very reliable reason, hyung…

Yixing:                  But it’s true. It’s just impossible

Luhan:                  Xing, listen to me… It’s not like we’re telling you that you ARE in love with Yifan…

Yixing:                  But you both just did! You even shouted earlier!!! Did he hear by the way?

Chen:                    He didn’t.

Luhan:                  Xing, listen. You may be right in saying that you are not in love with him, but…

Yixing:                  But?

Luhan:                  What we’re telling you know is to think about it… You know, because from what we know, it is still possible to happen…

Yixing:                  But hyung, it’s not possible… I don’t think of him as… I don’t…

Chen:                    Just try to think about it, hyung…  Because honestly, I doubt what you’re saying.

Yixing:                  But I really am just his friend. I think of nothing beyond that…

Chen:                    But as his friend, you should’ve been happy if he wants to go stable with his girlfriend.

Yixing:                  I AM HAPPY FOR HIM.

Chen:                    That’s not what you seemed to be telling us earlier.

Yixing:                  I did say that!!!

Chen:                    Yeah. Half-heartedly.

Luhan:                  Yixing, just think about it, okay? If you still think we’re wrong, then we’ll stop teasing you.

Yixing:                  Good.

Luhan:                  But if we’re right, promise you’ll tell us honestly, okay? We won’t do anything, we promise. We just want to be of help if possible.

Yixing:                  But…

Luhan:                  Promise us!

Yixing:                  Fine.

But… I don’t know how to think about it… It’s weird trying to think that way about him… I mean, he IS Yifan. The Yifan that always date girls as if he was just changing clothes; he who does not know how to take care of a relationship; the Yifan that does not know how to joke so I always force myself to laugh; the Yifan that always tease me whenever I forget something; the Yifan that always poke my dimples; the annoying Yifan that keeps complaining after waiting for me every Thursday.

Luhan:                  ^this

                                Is the reason why we doubt your feelings.

Yixing:                  What?!

Chen:                    You always talk about him, hyung. You always say “Yifan this…” even when we’re not talking about him.

Yixing:                  I DO NOT! And we’re talking about him now, that’s why I said those stuff.

Chen:                    Okay, fine.

                                I have a suggestion!

Yixing:                  For?

Chen:                    To help you think things through.

Yixing:                  And that is?

Chen:                    Hug him.

Yixing:                  What?!

Luhan:                  <3

Chen:                    I’m serious. Hug him. If during that hug, you feel nothing and your heart doesn’t go wild, then there is a high chance that you really have no feelings for him.

Yixing:                  You can’t be serious.

Luhan:                  I think it’s worth a try.

Yixing:                  But a hug????

Chen:                    What’s wrong?! It’s just a hug. You’ve hugged each other before.

Yixing:                  Yeah, but not while thinking if I’m in love with him!

Chen:                    Just go for it. You’ll get your answer even before hugging him, actually. If you feel anxious, scared, and nervous with the thought of hugging him, then we may be right about your feelings…

Yixing:                  But…

 

“Hey Xing,” Yifan called out suddenly.

Yixing was surprised to see Yifan’s head peeking at his slightly opened door. The fact that he was in the middle of a “whether I am in love with Yifan” talk almost made Yixing scream in shock, and the fact that his computer was back-facing the door didn’t help at all.

As soon as Yixing realized that Yifan could see the screen, he quickly stood up and hugged the monitor in an attempt to hide the conversation.

“Ye- yes? Why?” Yixing asked, stammering.

“Is… is anything wrong?” Yifan asked, noticing the panic in the other.

“No, nothing. Why? Why did you call me?” the younger asked, trying to compose himself.

“Oh,” the older said as he opened the door and took a step inside. “I just wanted to ask if you’re okay, you know. You seemed to be angry earlier? And Luhan said that you needed to think about stuff…”

“Oh that,” Yixing said. “I’m okay now, we were just playing around earlier,” he said faking a laugh.

“You sure?”

“Yeah. It’s nothing, really.”

“But Luhan said that I should ask you about it…? I can help, you know. It’s the least I can do after you helped me out yesterday…”

“Yesterday?”

“Yeah, the whole ‘going stable with my girlfriend’ thing.”

“Oh… that,” the younger said as he looked at the floor.

“Talk to me! I’ll try to help!”

“No, hyung. It’s okay, really… Actually, I’m kind-of tired so I want to sleep now…”

“Sure?”

“Yes, please…” Yixing mumbled as he continued to avoid looking at the other.

“O--kay then? Good night,” Yifan said as he reached for the door,

“Good night,” Yixing greeted back before Yifan walked out of his room.

 

As soon as Yifan left, Yixing was finally able to stop hugging his computer’s monitor.

“The whole ‘going stable with my girlfriend’ thing, huh?” he thought. “Was I really just denying my feelings all this time?”

“But as his friend, you should’ve been happy if he wants to go stable with his girlfriend” Yixing remembered Chen saying during their chat.

“But I am happy for him…” he seemingly convinced himself for the tenth time that day. “I am happy… right?” he thought before deciding to deal with everything this weekend.

 

 

----------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys, a slightly bright chapter before all the mushiness. ^^ Thank you for subscribing and commenting!!!!! <3