Chapter 14

Fate-given clues

 

When Yifan woke up, there were only two things he had in mind: going to the office and talking to Yixing. Well, actually it was only one; the first one was just something he needed to do the second one. He quickly got up, took a shower, and changed clothes. Cleaning the mess Chanyeol and Sehun made and eating breakfast would have to wait.

Before he left the apartment, he made sure that he wore the bracelet. It was something he knew that would help him later so he kept of checking his right wrist if he had it on. When Yifan reached his car, he ended up going back because he forgot his keys.

He reached the office in just under twenty minutes; it normally takes forty, how he managed to cut half the time is beyond him. He’s just happy that he made it there alive and quickly. The first place he checked was, of course, Yixing’s office room. The room he shared with Chen and Luhan.

“Yixing!” Yifan shouted as soon as he reached the door. “YIXING!” he called louder as he opened it.

“GOD FREA-IN Fuuu!” Chen bolted in surprise, causing him to spill a bit of coffee from the mug he was holding.

“Yixing?! Where’s Xing?”

“What are you doing so early in the morning?! Stop shouting and scaring people!”

“Xing? Have you seen Xing?” Yifan asked, not minding the small coffee stain in Chen’s shirt.

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him yet,” the younger answered. “Look at what you did. You - “ he managed to say before he noticed that the person he was talking to wasn’t there anymore.

“Oh don’t worry about me. Luckily, I didn’t make sure that the water was boiling when I made this coffee…” Chen murmured to himself in full sarcasm.

 

If Yixing wasn’t in the office, where could he be? Yifan mentally listed the possible places. The manager’s office. The studio. The other studio. The other other studio. The canteen? The last place was somewhat the most reasonable one, Yifan thought. As he sprinted towards the canteen, he saw Luhan pushing a rack of clothes. Well, he assumed it was Luhan because the amount of clothes was covering the person. But only two people in the company have that hair color hence, he quickly ran towards him.

“Yah!” he called as he placed his foot on the rack. “Yah!” he called again as he pulled it away to see the person’s face.

“Oh! Oh! What’s happening?!” Luhan exclaimed, scared of why the rack is moving on its own.

“Yah, Luhan,” the taller one said.

“Oh Yifan, hi! Check out my magical rack!”

“Don’t be stupid so early in the morning. Yixing, where’s Yixing?”

“Yixing?”

“Yeah, the one that slept in your apartment last night.”

“Oh, he won’t be coming in today. He said he wanted to roam around for a while…” Luhan said as he examined the clothes and the rack.

“Roam around where?”

“He didn’t tell me. Why?”

“I need to talk to him.”

“Well, he said he’ll go home to your apartment later… so… you could wait?”

“I need to talk to him now.”

“Why are you rushing? It wouldn’t hurt to wait a few more hours before you confess…” the shorter one said with a smirk.

“I… not…how… you? Sehun?”

“Chanyeol’s the only one that needs things to be explained before he can figure things out… but anyways, you should just give Yixing time; at least the rest of the day. You’re not the only one that needs some time for himself, you know.”

 

 

With that Yifan calmed down. He guesses the rest of the afternoon wouldn’t be too long. Besides, he hadn’t exactly figured out yet what to say when he meets Yixing. Was he supposed to say sorry first? Confess first? Should he just abruptly hug him? What will Yixing’s reactions be?

The continuous train of thought somehow led Yifan to the canteen. Perhaps it’s because he hadn’t eaten breakfast, but he ended up ordering food and looking for a place to sit. There were a couple of familiar faces, but Yifan’s eyes managed to see one person whom he had business with.

“Hey, mind if I join?” he asked as he sat down without waiting for an answer.

“Su-sure,” Suho answered as he looked up. “Yifan, hi. Morning!”

“Yeah, morning.”

“I haven’t seen you much around… Being one of the ace models is that rough?”

“Not really. Just a few more jobs.”

“Sounds fun.”

“You would know when you experience it,” he snorted.

“Guess so.”

Both of them knew that there was a conversation that needed to happen, but neither of them knew how to smoothly open it. They spent at least three more minutes in silence, waiting.

“So,” Suho coughed out. “I’ve been hanging around with the others lately…”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed.” Yifan replied with a weak smile.

“You’re the only one in the group I haven’t gone out with alone…”

“Sorry… I… was busy?”

“That so? I was thinking that you hate me or something.”

“Why would I hate you?” the taller one defended immediately.

“I think we both know why,” Suho replied with a smile.

That smile, Yifan thought. It’s the same as the ones Luhan, Chen, and Sehun use whenever they talk about Yixing. It’s a smile that tells Yifan that he’s the stupid one for learning about it last.

“Does everybody know about this? And no one bothered to tell me??” Yifan sighed in admittance.

“Well, I think it was pretty obvious.”

“So I’ve been told.”

“Haha! I didn’t think you were the clueless, apathetic type.”

“I’m not… usually… in most cases… in other cases,” Yifan stuttered, causing the other to laugh out.

“You’re beginning to act like him to! The two of you suit each other, I approve!”

“Approve? But you, what about you?”

“Me?”

“Don’t you like him? As in like him like him?”

“No! Why would you think that?”

“But the teasing…  the (irritating) smiles between you…”

“Are the same as the ones I do with the others, well except for Chanyeol. I somehow end up smiling like him whenever I’m around him.”

“But you even took care of him when he was drunk.”

“Yeah. The same thing I would do if you were the one I found drunk on the streets.”

“I… you… sure?” Yifan didn’t know why he ran out of words. It’s just that he was completely sure that Suho felt something for Yixing. It was undeniably there, the connection. He would know; he couldn’t take it out of his mind: the scenes during the photo shoot.

“Yifan, I think you were imagining things. I’ve never acted differently towards Yixing. You were just probably getting annoyed that someone else was acting close with him.”

“Is, is that so?”

“Hahaha! How were you clueless when you felt jealous?? I’m pretty sure you got jealous with Chen and Luhan as well!!”

“Shut up. I was not. I did not,” Yifan glared as he took a bite of his food and remained silent for a while. There were, in fact, a few instances when Yifan got annoyed at how Chen and Luhan would play with Yixing, especially when the two of them target Yixing’s ticklish neck. But Yifan would never admit that, especially to Suho now. “Jealous” was not the word, he chose to believe.

“Is this what you wanted to talk about?” Suho asked.

“Yeah. Actually.”

“Well, you have the answer.”

“Thanks, I needed that,” Yifan said as he stood up.

“You owe me dinner. Let’s hang out some time.”

“That’ll be great.”

 

 

 

When the apartment’s elevator reached Yifan’s floor, he was snapped back to reality. He was in panic; he didn’t have time to think through what he would say. His heart was beating so fast and his palms were sweating. He felt at ease earlier, deciding that the words will eventually or automatically come out. But as he walked on the hallway, he contemplates thinking so. He thinks that he should at least write some things down. But apparently he had no luxury for that as he opened the door to see Yixing by the dinner table.

Yifan was in a daze as he slowly walked in, eyes fixed on Yixing who seem to have noticed Yifan enter. “You… you’re here…?” he said as soon as he was by the table.

“Yeah… I live here…” the younger answered without looking at the other.

“You ate?”

“I have some left, would you like some?”

“Su-sure,” Yifan replied as he slowly sat down on a chair right-facing the kitchen. He was mentally choking himself. “This is why you should’ve made notes, Yifan.”

Yixing came back after a minute with a plate in hand. He never looked at Yifan; his gaze was fixed downward. Yifan, on the other hand, was mentally blank. He didn’t know what to say, or if he did know what to say, he didn’t know how.

 

Minutes passed by in silence. Yixing was by the sink, cleaning a couple of pans and plates; Yifan was quietly eating.

Yixing felt a bit suffocated because of the atmosphere but he knew he wasn’t the one to complain. He was the one who chose to come home tonight.

“Yixing… Xing… I…” he heard Yifan say from the table. “About last time…”

“You didn’t tell me,” Yixing replied plainly.

“Huh?” Yifan was surprised by the sudden statement. “Tell you what?”

“That you guys broke up,” the younger said. “I heard from the others. They told me, not you. Why didn’t you tell me?”

Yixing’s mind was full of thoughts ever since he heard from Luhan what happened. Yixing blamed himself. He didn’t know why, but he felt that if he did some things differently, Yifan would’ve continued to live happily with his girlfriend. He even thought that he should’ve just moved out so that the two could’ve live with each other. Yixing hated himself even more. He knew how much Yifan valued that relationship. And he somehow felt responsible for breaking it or at least not helping to make sure that it lasts.

Earlier that day he tried to call Yifan’s girlfriend to talk to her, but she wouldn’t pick up. He thinks that he could at least try getting the two back together, it’s the least he could do for Yifan, his friend.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Yixing repeated the question, his head bowed low towards the running faucet.

“It isn’t really important now…” he heard Yifan say.

“What do you mean ‘not important’? You guys were perfect! You should’ve told me, I could’ve helped the two of you work it out. I could’ve done something. You could still be happy with her right now…” Yixing said, eyes slowly tearing.

“I told you, it doesn’t matter anymore.”

“I’ll help you. I’ll try calling her again; I can talk to her. It’s obvious that the two of you really love each other… you just have to realize that.” Yixing kept talking with his back facing Yifan, his eyes fixed on the flowing water, and his mind forcing himself to stay composed.

“Yixing…”

“It must’ve hurt… that’s probably why you were so angry that day. I’m sorry, I didn’t know. I even shouted at you.”

“Xing.”

“Don’t worry, you guys will get back together,” the younger encouraged. He was annoyed at himself. Here he was, crying over his stupid feelings for Yifan while Yifan lost someone he intended to spend his life with. Yixing’s stupid feelings. His stupid feelings. Yixing hated himself more for feeling that way.

“Yixing,” Yifan called for the third time from the table.

“Mm?” Yixing replied after breathing in slowly.

“I bought a new clock. Do you like it?”

Yixing slowly looked up at the wall where the clock was placed. “It’s… it’s the same as always. It isn’t  - “ Yixing managed to say before he heard a quick creak of the chair. And before he felt two arms hugging him securely from behind.

“ - a…new… clock…?” Yixing finished his sentence in a trance. What was Yifan doing? Why was Yifan’s arm so warm? Why does Yifan’s body feel so warm? It was something he wanted… he used to desire for so long. But why now? Is this some sort of a joke? If it was, Yixing knows he’ll regret it later on if does not move away immediately. But before he could nudge away, he heard Yifan speak.

“I… heard from Chen and Luhan that there were never such a game and punishment…”

It was then when Yixing’s heart beat loudly. Yifan wasn’t supposed to know. His stupid feelings; Yifan was not supposed to find out. He was just supposed to quietly and eventually forget those feelings. But now, everything is ruined. Their friendship, the one he tried so hard to protect, could end. And it is the last thing Yixing would ever want to happen.

“I’m sorry,” Yixing almost cried out. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want it to happen. I didn’t want to feel this way… I’m sorry, I’ll… I’ll keep on trying. I’ll try harder to forget, to remove these feelings… I’m sorry, I’ll forget…” he cried. “I promise things will go back to normal. I promise that things will be back before I felt this way…”

Yixing’s tears flowed down. He couldn’t even see the sink properly. He was crying silently but he was constantly taking deep breaths. When the tears reached his chin, he raised his left hand to wipe them away. He didn’t want the tears to reach Yifan’s arms. And so Yixing quickly tried to wipe the tears from his eyes.

As soon as his vision wasn’t blurred, his eyes trailed down to see Yifan’s arms. Yifan was still holding him - hugging him. Yifan did not let go. But Yixing’s attention was soon caught by the accessory around Yifan’s right wrist. “That… that bracelet…” he said.

“Yixing…” Yifan spoke softly. “I’m sorry… I hurt you, didn’t I? I made you cry…”

Yixing was silent.

“She wasn’t important. I thought she was, but I was wrong,” he tightened his hug. “I was wrong. I was stupid, wasn’t I? Everybody else could tell. Everyone else knew. But I didn’t… there were so many clues. Signs that I ignored because I was too caught up thinking that what I was chasing after was love. But I ended up passing by it; I ended up ignoring you…”

“…Yifan, what… - “ Yixing’s mind was having a hard time understanding.

“I’m sorry, for not realizing how I feel earlier. If I did, you would not have cried. I would’ve seen you smile more. We… both… could’ve been happy earlier.”

“The bracelet’s yours…” the younger whispered.

“No,” Yifan answered firmly. “The bracelets are ours…”

With that, Yixing’s tears were no longer forced back. If reality was playing tricks with him now, he didn’t mind. Those words, those sentences were the things he threw the hope of ever hearing. They were all part of his fantasy that he kept trying to forget. For weeks; how hard had he been trying to not think that Yifan would ever say those words. But now, tonight, he heard them. Yifan definitely said those words while hugging him. It was real. It was no longer a thought inside his mind. It was no longer a what-if. It was no longer something he wanted to avoid. Rather, it was now something he will hold from now on.

“Xing… stop crying…” Yifan said gently as he turned the other around and hugged him tighter.

“I’m sorry,” Yixing let out a laugh. “Let me cry just this time…” he said as he rested his head on Yifan’s chest.

“Will you forgive me? For being stupid?” Yifan asked.

“I…”

“I promise you,” the taller one said. “I won’t let you cry again. I’ll stop being stupid…”

“love…”

“But you promise me that things won’t go back to before.”

“you,” Yixing managed to complete his sentence; a sentence that Yifan heard clearly. Yifan slowly raised Yixing’s head. The younger’s eyes were still teary, but most of the tears were now on Yifan’s shirt.

Yifan smiled softly. “I don’t want you to forget…” he said before he leaned down.

 

The moment their lips met felt like they solved a big jigsaw puzzle. Every bit and piece was in place; everything was where it should be. It was a moment when the picture was complete; a moment that the two of them wanted; a moment both of them knew that they would remember from now on - just like what fate had planned.

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

A/N:  something missing? Look forward to the last chapter, which is next. XD I have a couple of cards left to play. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter though… I’m sorry. I tried my best. T.T this is as far as my creativity allows…