Chapter 12

Fate-given clues

 

When Yifan walked out of the studio, he didn’t exactly think of where he should go. He remembers talking to Sehun and declining to eat with them. He remembers not greeting anyone he walked passed by. And he remembers almost breaking his car door when he closed it after entering the car.

It was early afternoon - a time when Yifan as usually pre-occupied with work or with a noisy Chanyeol or an always-questioning Sehun. But none of those were happening today. He could go home right away, but the thought of sitting at the apartment alone was somehow too sad of a scene for him. Bar? Too early; besides, Yifan isn’t really the type that enjoys drinking. Mall? Restaurant? Staying on the road? Yifan eventually settled for going to the grocery to buy things for the apartment. It wasn’t the best of the options, but at least it’s a simple thing to do to keep his mind busy. Besides, he remembers earlier this morning that they already ran out of sugar. He even drank his coffee bare. How long has it been since they bought necessities for the apartment? Too long, Yifan guesses.

 

But much to Yifan’s dismay, the shopping trip only killed two hours. And he already dragged time. He even went to buy facial creams and other lotions - this took about forty minutes. The sixty minutes were spent strolling among the aisles and debating the difference between sugar brands because it all looks the same to him. The remaining twenty minutes were spent at the cashier. He ended up buying chips, milk, coke, oil, coffee, and chips - necessities, if you ask him.

 

He ended up in the apartment by 6:45; at least he killed a bit of time. The grocery bags were left unattended at the kitchen. He was lying on the couch, playing with his “toss coin pillow” or so what he liked to call it. It was the circular pillow that he received from Yixing before. Yifan somehow ended up calling it a coin because he was tossing it around occasionally, making it a game to see which face would show up. He wasn’t exactly thinking of anything, rather he couldn’t think of anything because before his mind could begin its thought process, someone was enthusiastically knocking at the door.

“Great, company!” Yifan exclaimed as he got up. “Great, a distraction!” he thought. He knew it wasn’t Yixing because if it was, he’d enter using his own keys.

“Okay, I’m not that desperate to be distracted…” he mumbled as he opened the door to see who the distraction was. The grinning face and the apathetic face that greeted him was enough for him to turn back around without greeting.

“What? Did you say something?” Chanyeol asked.

“The least you could do was say ‘hi’…” Sehun commented as the two of them entered the room.

“Sorry, I was too ecstatic seeing the two of you,” Yifan deadpanned.

“Thought so,” Chanyeol said.

Yifan went back to his couch and resumed what he was doing earlier while the other two were at the kitchen. They were emptying the grocery bags and opened up a couple of chips and cans of coke.

“I’m glad that the two of you are already making yourselves at home…” the oldest commented as he saw the two sit down on the floor near him - food on hand.

“We figured you’re not the type to accommodate your guests, so might as well do things ourselves,” Sehun said.

“OH! Wait, wait, let me just make myself a glass of juice before we get started!” Chanyeol remembered as he stood up. He was trying to stay out of carbonated drinks, saying they make him extra bouncy, so he settles for juices and iced teas with a lot of sugar.

“Get started on what?” Yifan asked but Sehun didn’t answer.

“Hyung! You’re out of sugar!” Yifan heard Chanyeol shout from the kitchen as he mentally flicked himself. How could he forget getting the item he initially made the grocery trip for? Well, at least he had another thing he could do.

Sehun kept silent until Chanyeol went back to his spot on the floor. By that time, Yifan was carefully watching them and trying to read what they were thinking. But Sehun was too stoically eating and Chanyeol was too giddily drinking his juice.

“Okay, so…” Chanyeol began. “Hyung, why didn’t you tell us?”

“Tell you what?”

“We met her when we went to eat this afternoon,” Sehun added.

“Who?”

“That’s cruel, hyung. I thought we were close enough to tell each other these stuff!”

“Tell what?”

“Well, I don’t really care if you don’t tell us but Chanyeol-hyung here said it’s vital that we listen to you.”

“It is! This is one of those times that we need to be here for Yifan-hyung. It is a time when he needs to let it all out: cry, get angry, and hate himself. And then we’re supposed to say: ‘It’ll be alright’ and ‘It’s not your fault’. But honestly, I’m only here to see hyung cry,” Chanyeol explained, happily ending it. “I’m quite curious how he looks like when he cries,” he added with an excited smile.

“And why would I cry? And what are you two even talking about?!” Yifan asked as he sat up.

“Your girlfriend! You guys broke up, right?!” Chanyeol answered.

“Oh that. Uh, yeah… some time ago.”

“So…?”

“It didn’t work out…?”

“That’s it?!” Chanyeol exclaimed. “Where are the boo-hoo’s and the ‘I-don’t-know-what-to-do’s’??”

“Hyung, you watch too much drama series…”

“It’s not really something to be sad about,” Yifan commented.

 

The apartment unit was well-decorated. It was a lot fancier than Yifan remembered; there was more furniture than the last time he was there, he guesses. A new couch? A different kitchen table? He couldn’t really put his hand on what’s new.

It was later that Thursday; the Thursday when a beautiful model entered their company’s building, looking for Yifan. That day when dozens of people felt very envious of how beautiful their relationship was; how lucky they were to have each other.

“Let’s break up,” the slender, long-haired girl told Yifan as soon as they reached the living room.

“That’s it? As easy as that?” Yifan asked, showing no sign of surprise or anger.

“Well, let’s spare the drama. Besides, we both felt where everything was going.”

“For the record, I didn’t have those feeling all these times.”

“Me too, for the earlier parts that is. But I really did appreciate everything. The time, and all those stuff, and the gifts…” the girl said with a smile.

“I figured you would love the gifts,” Yifan commented with a hint of sarcasm.

“Of course, they carry, uhm, meaning?”

“So that’s why you wear that bracelet a lot?”

“Yeah, this one carries a very very deep meaning…”

“Yet you failed to notice that I haven’t been wearing mine.”

“You haven’t?”

“Yeah. So that’s why I’m gonna need yours back.”

“What? Why? Did you throw yours? Sold it?”

“I lost it. So I need a new one.”

“The hell is this?” the girl said as she took off the bracelet. “You’re the first guy to ever ask a present back from me. Some kind of cheap bastard?” she hissed.

“Not really, but as you say, this bracelet carries a very very deep meaning.” Yifan answered plainly.

“You should’ve just looked for yours.”

“Somebody else found it and I decided that it’s better for that person to have that one. I can just get yours when you decided to stop playing games with me - which was today.”

“Games? I’m pretty sure I don’t know what you’re talking about, sweetie…” she said in an extra snappy tone.

“I’m sure you do,” he said as he turned back to make his way to the door. “How many were there? A new one every month?”

“Hey! For the record, I’m not the only one who wasn’t loyal in this relationship!”

Yifan closed the door firmly as he got out. “I know…” he muttered to himself.

 

“Well, this is boring…” Chanyeol said as he continued to eat his chips. “We get all these food and all we get is a ‘It didn’t work out’…” Yifan didn’t tell the two what happened.

“What? Did you think it’ll be like watching a movie or something?” Sehun asked.

“Sorry to disappoint you,” Yifan said with a laugh as he grabbed Sehun’s bag of chips and began eating.

“What happened though, hyung?” Sehun asked. “Did you finally get to realize something~?” he added.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You don’t?” the youngest repeated with a smirk. “Well, let’s move on to another topic, shall we? Hey, Chanyeol-hyung!”

“Huh?” the other answered.

“I’m kind of curious… since when did Yixing-hyung and Suho-hyung become so close?” Sehun knew he hit a mark when he saw Yifan hold that bag of chips tighter.

“I don’t know. They’ve been like that since Yixing-hyung introduced Suho-hyung to us…”

“Is that so?” the younger asked, smirk getting wider as he saw Yifan’s expression darken even more.

“I guess they just got along really well right off the bat.”

“Talking about people behind their backs? Kind-of college don’t you think?” Yifan commented. He thinks that topic and that name should be banned from this apartment… for forever.

“We’re not saying anything bad about them,” Sehun replied with which Yifan responded with a glare.

But the youngest continued to satisfy himself. “But they look great together, don’t they hyung?”

“Together as in together-together?” Chanyeol asked.

“Yeah. They look like they -“

“OKAY! I admit it, okay? Happy?!” Yifan shouted annoyed at Sehun, but the latter’s smile just became wider if that was possible.

“What? Admit what?” Chanyeol asked, surprised.

“I knew it…” the youngest mentally patted his successful shoulders. “So when did you realize?”

“I hate you.”

“I know you do. Answer the question.”

“There’s something you two know that I don’t. And I want to know it,” Chanyeol made an annoyed quizzing face at the two.

“You sure you wanna know it, hyung? It isn’t really the brightest thing Yifan-hyung had made…”

“All the more!!”

“Sehun, I swear if you don’t wipe that smirk out of your face, I’m doing it for you.”

“But most photographers love my smirk; and I love how they compliment it. But enough about me; what about you and YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER? What do YOU love about each other…?” Sehun teased, pushing boundaries, as he stood up and ran towards the door.

Yifan ended up chasing Sehun out the door, only stopping by the doorway because he couldn’t chase Sehun all the way to the elevator without shoes. When he turned back, he saw Chanyeol putting on his own shoes.

“Hey! I know nothing!” the younger said, hands in the air. “Well, not for now… maybe in an hour I will…”

That last sentence was enough reason for Yifan to kick Chanyeol from behind out his apartment. The corridor was eventually filled with a mixture of laughter from the two.

 

It hasn’t even been an hour since he welcomed his guests, but now he has this huge headache and an urge to punch two souls out of their bodies tomorrow.

Yifan tried to calm himself down as he sat on dining table.

“Leave it to Sehun…” he mumbled. Yes, if anyone knows which spot to hit, it would be Sehun. The youngest was the only one he consulted this thing with before. Well, not directly, but Sehun was sharp enough to get what Yifan was thinking about that time.

 

Yifan remembers telling Yixing what he heard from Sehun that time.

“Then you were probably doing all the right things. It must feel like everything is in place…” Yixing said.

“Yes. But you know, when I was drinking with Sehun the other night,” Yifan began. “He told me that sometimes, just sometimes, it isn’t really about doing the right things. It was, rather, doing the things that you really want. If you do that, everything would just eventually fall in the right place. More or less, that’s what he says…”

It was actually more of a “less” rather than a “more”. The conversation then had a bit more information.

                “Hey Sehun, when you and Luhan got together… how did it feel?”

                “What do you mean ‘how did it feel’?”

                “I dunno, like, did you feel everything that you were doing were the right things to do?”

                “We never know what the right thing to do is.”

                “Then how did you feel?”

“Scared. It’s the first time I ever had a relationship with a guy. I thought about how other people would see us when we go out, how you guys would react if you knew, and what my family would say if they found out. But then I decided that I don’t really care about those as much.”

“What made you not care?”

“Sometimes, hyung, sometimes, it isn’t really about doing the right things. It’s rather about doing the things that you really want…”

“Wow… my little brother grew up a lot.”

“And you grew dumber.”

“What?”

“This is about Yixing-hyung, isn’t it?”

“I- I… I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Sure you do.”

“I’m pretty sure I know what I don’t know.”

“Suit yourself. But you know…” Sehun said softly. Yifan listened. “If you just do what you want, things would just eventually fall in the right place. That’s what happened to me.”

“That’s so corny.”

“I learned from Chanyeol-hyung and his dramas. Sue me.”

One question kept ringing in Yifan’s ears once he was left alone, again. “So when did you realize?” he remembers Sehun asking a while ago.

 

It was about time he answered that question.

 

---------------------------------------
A/N: Kris’ PoV will continue on to the next chapter! J by the way, do you guys remember the bracelet? And who found it? You do? Well done. Well done. LOL XD I hope this chapter answers some of your questions.