Chapter 6

Fate-given clues

 

“So~,” Luhan happily opened up a conversation one day. “Watyugonnado?” he asked with a smile as he rolled his chair across the floor.

“What do you mean, ‘gonnado?” Yixing asked, copying the same happy tone Luhan had.

“Like how do you plan on confessing?”

“I’m not going to confess anything, hyung.”

“Oh, then did you tell him already?”

“No.”

“Yixing-hyung plans to just rot in the corner and watch Yifan-hyung enjoy his life with his girl,” Chen explained as he too pushed his chair towards Yixing’s desk.

“How patriotic…” Luhan said as he slightly rolled his eyes and looked at Yixing. “Seriously?”

“I don’t see what’s wrong with it,” Yixing deadpanned as he continued to browse through the Polaroid pictures scattered on his desk.

“You do know it’s overrated?”

“That doesn’t mean I can’t do it.”

“Oh cmon!” Chen exclaimed. “Haven’t you watched the dramas, hyung? Playing the silent lover while watching your love-of-your-life get married to another is like the biggest mistake!”

“Yeah!” Luhan agreed. “You’ll end up with all the sad, crying scenes and, at the end of the day, you’ll be inside your room looking at a wall completely covered by pictures of Yifan.”

“I do NOT have pictures of Yifan!” Yixing defended himself quickly.

“Yixing, you know what we mean…”

Sighing to calm his mind, Yixing tried to focus back on what he’s doing. “Can we not talk about this?”

“It’s the first time we’re talking about this since you admitted to us last week!”

“And considering that we received two punches from Yifan-hyung, a detailed insight should at least be given to us!” Chen added.

“I only got punched once,” Luhan commented softly.

“What?! Why?!”

“Sehun saw Yifan right after the first punch…”

“Unfair!” the youngest said before punching Luhan on the arm. “Now we’re even.”

“That hurt!” the oldest said as he rubbed his arm.

“I think my chances are small…” Yixing suddenly said, silencing the squabbling of the two. “No, in fact, I think there are no chances at all.”

“Explain,” Luhan said as they sat back down.

“Yifan and I… we’re best friends. That’ll always be how he’ll look at me, and that should only be the way how I look at him.”

“Have you not seen how you two interact??! You look like a couple as much as Sehun and Luhan-hyung do.”

“Yifan… there’s no chance of him having the same feelings that I have. Besides, I don’t think he’d ever consider dating a guy.”

“That’s too stupid a reason to give up,” Luhan commented.

“Still, I think it’s best to just pretend I didn’t realize my feelings,” Yixing continued. “Besides, I’m pretty sure that what I feel isn’t that strong anyways. I probably just blew it out-of-proportion and am just being caught in the moment… After some time, I’m sure I’ll look at him as nothing more as a friend again,” he said before smiling to the two. It was a gesture to show that he can handle the situation, but it also somehow showed a bit of confusion and vagueness in his emotion.

“But I know you, Yixing; you’re the type that embraces what you feel…”

“But it’s different this time. It’s Yifan! Cmon, it’s the stupid guy who I have to put up with everyday!” Yixing said in a very loud tone as if he’s releasing tension.

“KNOCK KNOCK!” someone said as he entered the room.

“IS IT REALLY YOUR HOBBY TO POP OUT ALL OF A SUDDEN?!!” Chen shouted at their visitor.

“What are you shouting at me for?” Yifan asked as he walked in together with Chanyeol.

“Because you seriously have the worst and most annoying timing in the world!”

“Are you really this loud 24-7?” Chanyeol asked.

“No, I’m a monk when I get home,” Chen replied as he rolled his eyes in frustration and sarcasm.

“Cool. Anyways, the boss asked for you and Luhan-hyung. I think they want the two of you to help out with the upcoming company ad or something.”

“Hey,” Yifan greeted as he stood closer to Yixing’s desk. “Have you eaten lunch?”

“No, not yet…”

“Great! Then while those two meet the boss, you can come with us and -“

“No, wait. Actually, I also need to talk to the boss,” Yixing lied. “I have a few concerns regarding the past shoots I’ve done…”

“Oh… is that so?”

“Yeah, so I guess I’ll see you later?” the younger said before catching Luhan and Chen by the door.

 

 

It was Yixing’s determination that led most of his decisions when it came to Yifan. If he plans to rid every bit of romantic emotion he had for Yifan, he thought that initiative should come from him. Every time Yifan spends time inside their office (which he had been doing ever since), Yixing would pretend that he’s too busy doing stuff. Every time Yifan would talk to him at the apartment, Yixing would opt to cut conversations short. He wanted to subtly avoid being with Yifan, avoid without Yifan knowing that he’s putting distance between the two of them. Just enough space, Yixing thought. Just the right amount of space for his feelings to fade away and return to the friend-friend relationship he once believed he had.

Yixing was thankful that he had Chen and Luhan in the office; it made it near impossible to be alone with Yifan. Yixing was also thankful that he thought of a good lie to avoid the Thursday dates for a while. He thinks that being in such a situation with Yifan would only mess up his feelings more. And he was also thankful that Yifan’s job involved a handful of weekend work and night shoots; these limited the times he was alone with Yifan in their apartment.

Things seem to be falling in the right place, if you ask Yixing.

However, he didn’t exactly know that fate has a few things planned out.

 

“I still don’t know why I’m here…” Yixing complained for the third time during a drive to the province. He was seated at the front passenger seat and had his legs curled up.

“Because it’ll be sad to leave you all alone while the rest of us go on this vacation,” Luhan, who was sitting at the middle back seat of the car, said.

“It’s not a vacation; it’s work,” Chen, who sat right of Luhan, corrected.

“Good enough; for as long as we get to see this amazing view and feel the unpolluted air. Besides, it’s refreshing to see you guys wearing summer wear. Much more comfortable than the usual stuff we wear in the office.”

“You sure seem to be having a great time even though Sehun isn’t here…” Yifan, who was the one driving, commented.

“Why? Am I not allowed to enjoy myself whenever Sehun isn’t with me?” Luhan asked confidently.

“Well, I guess that reasoning can be applied to both parties…” Yifan said with an evil smirk.

“What do you mean?” the other asked with squinted eyes.

“Isn’t he on a shoot today as well, hyung?” Chanyeol, who sat left of Luhan, asked.

“Yeah,” Luhan and Yifan chorused.

“But you do know that it’s a couple concept?” the Yifan added.

“Pfft. I’m not that stupid,” Luhan snorted. “He’s done that a few times now; work is work, nothing more.”

“Oh? So you don’t happen to know who he’s shooting with?”

“Some random girl perhaps…?”

“OH RIGHT!” Chanyeol suddenly exclaimed. “Haha! Sehun’s sure to be having his time right now…”

“And why is that?” Luhan asked.

“She’s a model that he’d done a lot of shoots with,” Chanyeol explained. “While Sehun once told her that she’s really pretty, the girl went all I’ve-already-fallen-in-love-with-you crazy on him.” He added as he laughed. “She even confessed to Sehun a couple of times.”

“So what, it’s not like things are going to happen during that shoot which only lasts for a few hours…”

“Yeah. Aside from holding hands and, possibly, hugging to match the couple concept.”

“Not feeling too apathetic now eh?” Yifan teased as he saw a bit of alarm in Luhan’s face.

“No. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“Your face says otherwise.”

“It does not!” Luhan said as he opened his bag and reached for his phone. “Excuse me, I… need to make a call…” he said before everyone laughed out loud.

 

The five of them were on their way to a photo shoot for their company’s summer spread. And as expected, Yifan was one of the main models for the shoot. Chanyeol would also be featured while Chen and Luhan were asked to help with the write-up and the clothes, respectively. Yixing was the only one that isn’t there for work; the company felt that Yixing had too much workload recently so it opted to go with the other photographers. However, Chen and Luhan saw this as a good opportunity to relax and a good chance for Yixing and Yifan to get closer. So after a few pushing and a couple of dragging and packing a couple of Yixing’s clothes, Yixing ended up on the front seat of the car.

 

The setting for the shoot was a resort. “At least I can enjoy myself,” Yixing thought. By the time they reached the place, people were already setting up and a few photographers and models were already preparing themselves.

But rather than exploring the resort by himself, Yixing ended up following his friends to every site they had to shoot. He just didn’t know anybody else from the company and he felt weird wandering alone. So Yixing ended up playing and standing idly wherever Yifan had a shoot and wherever Luhan was styling a model. At least he had Chen with him who was only observing the site for his write-up.

 

The first place they were in was by the pool.

“Cmon Yifan, let’s see a more natural smile,” a photographer asked.

“Hey hyung, isn’t this place great?” Chen asked Yixing as they stood at the other side of the pool.

“It is. I’m glad I went with you.”

“Yeah… Air as cold and clean as this can never be felt in the city…”

“It’s great…” Yixing said as he stretched his arms and yawned. It took him a minute of stretching to take in the breeze and feel the gentle touch of sunlight. “OH!” he exclaimed as he suddenly remembered that he was holding an ice cream cone.

“What?”

“My ice cream fell…” Yixing said as he saw his now-empty cone and the blob of vanilla ice cream on the floor.

“Seriously, you’re like a child…” Chen commented.

“Great shot! Let’s move on!” the photographer shouted from the far end of the pool.

 

The second place was inside the building. Yifan, Chanyeol, and a few other models were shooting a somewhat happy summer meal with friends.

“Let’s see everyone smile for real now, enjoy! Enjoy!” the photographer said.

“Here hyung,” Chen said as he offered Yixing with a plate full of food.

“What is it?” the older asked.

“I snatched some from the set,” the younger said with a proud smile.

“You know there’s a lot more by the pool…”

“Yeah. But the food used in the shoot somehow looked more appetizing.”

“It looks the same to me…”

“Anyways, try the pork.”

“Hmm? This?” Yixing asked as he took a spoonful.

“Yeah. It tastes awesome!”

“Really?” the older asked as he ate and chewed the food for about five times before spitting it back on the food. “IT’S SPICY!!”

“Heh~” Chen smiled devilishly.

“YAH!” Yixing shouted as he grabbed the cup Chen was holding a gulped down the content. It would’ve been great if the cup had water in it, but that wasn’t exactly the case as Yixing soon found out as he stuck his tongue out and fake-gagged.

And just like that, Chen ended up laughing loudly as he ran away from Yixing.

“YAHH!!” Yixing shouted as he followed the younger.

“Just like that! Great!” the photographer continued to comment on the shoot.

 

The last shoot the five of them had to attend was to be done on a room at the resort’s 2nd floor. Well, it was just actually a solo shot of Yifan but since Yifan was the one to be driving, the other four had no choice but to wait. The concept was to capture the scenic view as Yifan was lost in deep thought looking at it.

“Just think of good things. Like a life with your future wife or something…” the photographer requested.

“What are you guys hiding behind your backs?” Luhan asked the other three who slowly approached him. The four of them were standing in the yard, supposedly relaxing as Luhan thought.

“Nooothing…” Chanyeol chimed.

“I don’t believe you,” the older said as he began to step back.

“Where are you going, hyung?” Chen asked with a smile.

“I know that look, Chen. Whatever you’re planning, you better stop it.”

“But we’re not planning anything…”

“Yeah right…” Luhan asked before hitting a chair and tripping a bit.

“NOW! ATTACK!” Chanyeol suddenly shouted. The three of them revealed water guns from their backs and began to open fire on Luhan who was now shouting and running away from them.

“YAH! STOP IT! YAHHH! I’m your hyung!” the oldest of the four shouted. However, the three of them were too immersed in drenching Luhan to listen what he had to say.

“YAAAH!” Luhan shouted before he saw a garden hose on the ground.

“Oh crap…” Chen said as he saw what Luhan saw.

“Retreat! Retreat!!” Chanyeol announced as he understood what would happen.

“Why?! Why?!” Yixing asked as he watched the two run away. “Why are you guys leaving alrea-“ he managed to say before he was violently sprayed by Luhan. “AHHHH!!!” he shouted as Luhan continued to aim the hose at him, water strongly gushing out. “TRUCE! TRUCE!!” the younger offered as he threw his water gun far away.

“NO SUCH THING!!!” Luhan shouted.

“Perfect!” the photographer said, signaling the end of the shoot.

 

 

“I ended up getting drenched more than anyone…” Yixing said as he dried his hair with a towel inside the car.

“You guys deserve it,” Luhan snorted as he too supported damp hair.

“But it was fun!” Chanyeol said.

“You guys are like kids. You should’ve all dried yourselves first before getting on my car,” Yifan commented.

“Well, at least we changed before boarding,” Chen said.

“You guys should’ve packed me more clothes,” Yixing said as he was the only one wearing a sleeveless shirt. In Luhan’s defense, he didn’t exactly foresee the water battle when he was grabbing random shirts in Yixing’s cabinet.

 

A few minutes in to the drive, Chanyeol and Chen were too busy singing along to the songs being played on radio. Luhan was busy messaging Sehun, asking if his photo shoot was over and if he is now on his way home or if he is with someone in particular.

“--choo.” Yixing sneezed as he tried to cover his mouth with a towel.

“Aren’t you too old to get a cold from this?” Yifan asked.

“I just sneezed. It’s not like I’ve been sneezing since we left the resort,” Yixing explained.

“You’re like a baby…” Yifan commented before he removed his scarf. “Here.”

“Huh?” the younger asked as he stared at the cloth.

“Put it on. I don’t want you spreading your virus on my car and in our apartment.”

“Oh… Thanks, I guess?” Yixing said as he wrapped his neck with the scarf. “It’s warm…” he said softly. “Really warm…”

 

And just like that, they wrapped a fun experience. But for some, it wasn’t exactly a vacation that “took their minds of things”.

 

 

 

 

------------------------
A/N: Pfft. I just want to strangle Yixing for trying to avoid his feelings. HAHA. anyways, I wonder where these events would lead? Haha. hmmm...
thank you for following this fic. And sorry that I won’t be able to reply individually…-.-  But i'm very very thankful for the kind comments!
btw, it’s a bit funny how the comments start to look like a forum or something. ^^