Chapter 11

Fate-given clues

 

The following day was the day for the usual shoot for the company’s portfolio. Much like what Yixing did to Suho during his first day, the company makes it a point to update its portfolio of models. The company says that it’s a great help if they can see how the models currently look - are they maintaining their body and are they taking care of their face?

For this year, Yixing was the photographer assigned - it was one of the projects that he hogged.

“Hey, you alright?” Luhan asked, noticing the bit of grogginess of Yixing.

“I’m fine. My head just hurts a bit.”

“Well, you shouldn’t have drunk yesterday if you have a project today,” the older scolded.

“It wasn’t exactly in my plan.”

“Hey! It’s not my fault!” Chen defended himself as he felt the other two looking at him. “Hyung only had three glasses and he’s like that. And, for the record, I told him to stop drinking after he finished his first glass. He wouldn’t listen.”

“I didn’t know Yixing-hyung can’t handle alcohol…” Sehun noted.

“He can’t. He’ll turn red and get dizzy after finishing a glass,” Chanyeol said.

“Well, he does look like a person like that…”

“Look like what?!” Yixing asked. “I look fine, thank you very much.”

The others just laughed at him and continued with what they were doing. “Let’s start now, shall we?” Yixing announced as he finished adjusting his camera. “Sehunnie, you first...” he called.

The shoot was going smoothly. Since no styling was done and no fancy clothes, the photos were taken as soon as a model comes in. The project was for the whole day, and the models can come by anytime to get their picture taken. But luckily for Yixing, most of the models came early.

 

The craziest shoot would probably be Chanyeol’s. The usual shoot was a close-up done with the model sitting down and a few full-body shots. But, of course, Chanyeol was too hyper for that. His full-body shots were animated, to say the least. He even stood on the chair, saying that it would give a good angle.

“Chanyeol, it’s hard enough for me to take your picture while you’re standing normally on the ground.” But Yixing didn’t really mind, it was always fun working with his friends. And it’s not like the shoot was strictly a serious concept. So every now and then, Luhan and Chen would also pose in front of the camera. When there were no new models coming in, they would just play around and do random poses.

 

The longest shoot would be Suho’s. He stepped up after most of the models on the list finished theirs. He was saying that he would want to observe first and learn from the others, being new to the company and all. But what prolonged the shoot was not Suho’s inexperience; it was Yixing’s constant teasing of the newbie.

“Your smile here looks weird…” Yixing joked as he examined his camera.

“But it’s how I normally smile,” Suho said.

“Then you normally smile weirdly. And your eyes look distorted.”

“They do not,” the other said as he touched and felt his eyes.

“What kind of pose is that? Are you really a model?” Yixing began laughing. Actually, he already got the shots during the first few clicks.

“But I’m confident with this pose!”

“Try a new one.”

“How?”

“Do a cute pose… (suppressed laughter)”

“…like this?” Suho said as he put air in his cheeks and posed like a pre-schooler, causing Yixing to burst out. “Stop bullying me!” he shouted.

“It looks nice though…”

“Yeah, right.”

“But..,”

“WHAT?!” Suho fondly exclaimed as he shifted from foot to foot.

“Your height… can you be any shorter?” Yixing managed to say before laughing loudly.

“Now that’s just low…” Suho frowned and glared at the photographer who was now on his knees laughing.

 

 

There was only one model left after Suho and Yixing almost forgot about this model. Yifan. Apparently, Yixing didn’t think this out too much; he forgot that Yifan was indeed a model of the company and that meant he needed to take a picture of him. But even before he could mentally scold himself, Yifan already entered the room.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” Yifan said simply, a bit coldly in fact.

“It’s fine. It’s still early actually,” Yixing replied weakly, feeling a bit anxious.

“So do we start immediately?”

“Sure, go ahead and sit over there.”

Yifan appeared hostile as he walked to the chair and sat down.

Yixing, on the other hand, wasn’t too sure what he was thinking but he knew he had to finish this as fast as possible. So he just positioned his camera and prepared to begin the shoot. Through the camera lenses, Yixing got the first real look on Yifan after weeks of avoiding. It was a bit nostalgic, if you would ask Yixing. Though he technically sees that face every day, he hasn’t really looked that straightly at Yifan especially after the whole episode. Biting his lips softly to snap him back to reality, Yixing cleared his throat and looked for a good angle.

“Shouldn’t you, you know, smile a bit?” Yixing noted after noticing that Yifan was coming across fumingly. “You look angry.”

But Yifan kept a straight face and his eyes glared through the camera directly at Yixing. “Where were you last night?!”

And suddenly, the events earlier flashed through Yixing’s mind.

 

Yixing woke up to a somewhat familiar scent and soft bed. “It’s warm,” he thought without opening his eyes. He was covered by a nice soft blanket up to his shoulders. The environment was peaceful and the sunlight was shining on him gently from the window. And without knowing it, Yixing smiled weakly, liking the serene of the morning he woke up to.

Well, that was until he felt a sudden pain in his head that caused him to flinch. Headache. Hangover. And just like that, the events of last night flashed in Yixing’s mind: Chen, the stall, going home, sending off Chen, coffee… “Ya! Yixing!” he remembers someone calling his name before he passed out. From what he can recall, the person’s figure looked very familiar. Is this even his bed? Is he even home? Who was that person? Did he really know that person? The sudden surge of questions caused him to bolt up awake.

“YIFAN?!” Yixing suddenly called out, randomly. “Why did I call out Yifan?” He examined the bright room: the bed, the side table, and the curtains. It definitely wasn’t his. “This isn’t my room…” he thought as his eyes wandered the things in the room. The first thing that caught his eye was the keyboard placed on top of the study table. It was the same brand as his but a bit more expensive, he noted. The next thing that caught his eye was the small bookshelf completely filled. Yup, it definitely wasn’t his.

“Oh, you’re awake,” Yixing heard someone speak from the door.

“Suho?” he asked.

“Are you feeling okay? Does anything hurt?” Suho asked as he approached the bed and sat on the edge.

“I… you… how?” the other stuttered.

“You don’t remember? You must’ve been really drunk…”

“I… can’t handle alcohol well.”

“Then you shouldn’t have drank,” Suho said with a laugh. “Last night, when I was driving home after I finished a shoot, I saw you walking - a bit weirdly in fact. I thought someone beat you up or something…”

Yixing was silent, trying to remember the last things that happened yesterday.

“So I pulled over and went towards you. And, haha, you weren’t beat up; you were drunk. But then you fainted as soon as I called you.”

“I didn’t faint. I… fell asleep…?” the other weakly defended.

“Yeah. Okay,” Suho laughed again. “So I thought about where I should take you. I didn’t know where you lived; I only know that you’re from that district. So I just brought you home… and here you are!”

“I’m sorry to be a bother… I didn’t mean to… It won’t happen again.”

“It’s fine; I don’t mind. But actually, I did want to call Yifan but I didn’t have his number…”

“Why? You don’t need to call him…” Yixing said softly.

“Well, since he’s your roommate and all…”

“He doesn’t need to know everything about me. I doubt he even realized I wasn’t home last night,” he thought but he just simple said: “Thank you, you know, for letting me sleep here.”

“I couldn’t really let you sleep on the streets, right?”

“As payment, let me at least cook you breakfast!” Yixing smiled.

“Sounds great! But we have to hurry; we have that company photo thing this morning…”

“Oh! I forgot!” he exclaimed before he hurried off the bed.

 

What Yixing regretted that morning was the fact that he called out for Yifan. It was a stupid move, he thought. He hated the meanings that it could imply. Was he expecting Yifan? Was he hoping that Yifan found him? He hated that it came involuntarily.

 

 

Meanwhile, the others waited outside for Yixing to finish up. As far as they know, Yifan was the last model for the day. They wanted to go somewhere and eat, but Suho was especially waiting for Yixing.

“You slept with Yixing?!” Luhan exclaimed as they were preparing for the shoot.

“No! Not like that! He slept in my room,” Suho explained.

“He slept on your bed?!” Chen exclaimed louder.

“He was drunk!”

“WHAT?!” the two chorused.

“Nothing like that! No! It’s not what you think. He passed out and I just let him sleep in my apartment because I didn’t know where he lived. End of story; I swear!” Suho was in panic.

“Weren’t you with him?” Luhan asked Chen.

“I was. I even took him home. But he just stayed on the stairs, saying that he’ll go up earlier,” Chen said. “I guess he didn’t really go up…?”

“He said he wanted to buy coffee to wake himself up,” Suho said.

“Oh, so you were the one that messaged me?” Chen asked.

“Yeah… I guess I kinda forgot to say it was me…”

 

 

“Last night, where were you?” Yifan repeated the question because Yixing remained silent.

“Slept over,” the younger replied weakly, hoping that a simple answer would end the conversation.

“Why? You suddenly didn’t feel like staying at our apartment?”

“I drank a bit, okay. So I couldn’t make it home.”

“You were drinking?! Alone?!” Yifan asked a bit louder this time.

“I was with Chen. And can you please not talk like this. I’m not a ten-year old!”

“So you slept at Chen’s?”

“No.”

“Answer my question!”

“I slept at Suho’s apartment, okay? It’s not that big of a deal. Can we please just get on with the shoot?” Yixing felt annoyed. He was angry at being interrogated like some brat who stole candy. He can do whatever he wants. He was also annoyed at how officious Yifan sounded. And since when does Yifan care? As far as Yixing knows, the two of them were having a smooth non-interfering relationship for the past weeks.

“You didn’t even bother telling your roommate about this?”

“Why should I?”

“And since when did you and Suho become close?”

“I can be close with anyone. Stop acting like this.” Yixing was angry but he was trying to compose himself because they were, in fact, still in a public place.

“So you and Suho are close enough to be sleeping over each other’s place while drunk?”

“Yes, why should you care?!” the younger snapped. “So what if we’re close friends?!”

“Well apparently you two are. The two of you were even playing around like children earlier!” Yifan blurted out.

“What?” Yixing sighed in annoyance.

The tension was interrupted by Suho suddenly entering the room. “Hey Yixing! The other say we should go eat somewhere and… -“ he managed to say before noticing the apprehension between the two.

“I’m sorry. Let’s continue this shoot some other time,” Yixing said as he calmed himself and walked to the table to grab his bag.

“What’s wrong?” Suho asked as he approached Yixing by the table. His gaze was shifting between Yixing who looked very exhausted and Yifan who was still sitting at the chair, eyes burning a hole on the ground.

“Nothing; it’s fine. Where are the others?” Yixing replied.

“At the lobby.”

“Let’s go. Let me just put my camera away.”

“Okay?” Suho replied. “Does your head still hurt? I told you that you shouldn’t have forced yourself out of bed earlier…”

That was the last line heard before a loud opening and closing of the room’s door was heard. Yifan left.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------
A/N: Woot! Haha. Okay first of all, >.< the comments. haha. Honestly, the whole camera and strap thing kind of unfolded on its own… I just really went with it. But I liked how it pasted the story.
On to this chapter! Hohoho. Haha. that’s all I’m saying. You guys know what’s coming next, right? Grasshopper team, you know right, right? XD the next chapters will be dedicated for that.

Keep on commenting! I’ll see you guys again in the next chapter! (sends boxes of hearts to all of you, but bonus boxes for those who were here since the first chapter. I know you )