Chapter 7

Fate-given clues

Indulgence. Just a bit of indulgence wouldn’t hurt.
This is what entered Yixing’s mind as they went home that night. “It wouldn’t hurt, right? It’s not like what I’m feeling is a bad thing…” It’s not like he was harming Yifan’s relationship, he thought. It’s not like he was doing anything that would hurt Yifan.

By all means, it was true. No matter what Yixing would do, the only thing he’s messing with is his feelings. So he just had to learn how to control.

Just the right amount of indulgence; not too much as to lead him to hope for something more. “There will always be a limit as to what I can think and feel,” Yixing thought. It made perfect sense; it’s not like he had to learn how to live a life without Yifan. Rather, he had to learn how to live a life with Yifan without his deeper feelings. So then it was up to Yixing to control whatever it is he had in his heart.

But then again, fate would continue to believe that every bit of indulgence has a tiny splash of happiness - something that one cannot really control.

 

“Hyuuungg~~” Yixing whined as he laid beside a sleeping Yifan the following morning. “Hyung, I’m boooored…”

“Mmmm?” was the only response Yifan can give. He was still dominated by sleep, completely covered by his comforter and hugging every pillow.

“Hyungg…” he called again. “Get up already…”

“Why... you… too early… quiet… get out… my bed…” the older mumbled.

“It’s 9 am, hyung. (achoo) Let’s go somewhere, I’m bored.” Yixing said as he forcibly stole the circle pillow Yifan had under his head, earning a louder protest from the other.

“Why are you here??” Yifan asked, a bit more awake.

“Let’s go somewhere. (achoo)”

“I’m still sleepy. Let’s go later.”

“But I’m (achoo) bored now.”

“Will you stop sneezing on my bed?” Yifan said as he finally turned around to face the intruder of his bed.

“Sorry, just got a bit of cold…”Yixing said as he sniffed a bit.

“Apparently, you are not old enough to not get sick from that…”

“You (achoo) try getting drenched then,” the younger said as he tossed and caught the pillow upward.

“Stop spreading your germs in my room.”

“Then get up now so (achoo) we can leave.”

“Did you eat breakfast already?” Yifan asked as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

“Nope.”

“Have you made anything for breakfast?”

“Nope.”

“You should’ve at least cooked one before forcing be to get up.”

“What am I, your maid?”

“Nope,” he yawned. “You’re my housekeeper.”

“Mean…”

“Go cook me a meal, servant.”

“No. (achoo) You cook breakfast.”

“Oh, are you ordering me around? If it’s like that, then I won’t go anywhere with you.” Yifan blackmailed.

“Oh no, I’m just asking you very nicely…” Yixing smiled. “Hyung, will you please cook breakfast for us? (achoo)”

“No.”

“I’m going to blow my nose on your blanket,” the younger returned a threat.

“You wouldn’t -“ Yifan managed to say before Yixing inhaled loudly and held the comforter closer to his nose. “FINE! I’LL COOK!” he exclaimed as he grumbled his way off his bed.

“Hehe,” Yixing laughed triumphantly. “Hyung, I want to eat rice…” he added as they were by the door.

“A sandwich is the only thing I’m making.”

“But I want rice…” the younger pouted.

“Make your own if you’re --“ Yifan managed to say before he saw Yixing rushing back to his bed, seemingly to grab his blanket again. “FINE! RICE IT IS!”

This time, a louder laugh of victory was heard from Yixing.

“Seriously, sometimes I think I’m living with a ten-year-old.”

 

“I think we need to buy groceries soon…” Yifan said as he opened their refrigerator and kitchen cabinets. “Where are the pans…?”

“It’s obvious how seldom you enter the kitchen to cook, hyung,” Yixing said while he had his arms and head on top of the counter table.

“We’ve just been eating out a lot lately… Even you haven’t noticed that we’re low on supplies.”

“That’s true… (achoo)”

“Hey, are you sure you don’t need to drink medicine or something?”Yifan said as he saw Yixing, who was now watching him, barely supporting his head with his thin arms.

“It’s just a cold,” Yixing replied. “I won’t die because of it.”

“Was just asking. You don’t have the strongest body, you know.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Sure? Your eyes and cheeks tell otherwise…”

“I’ll be better when I get some fresh air and sun. It’s just -“ Yixing managed to say before he felt Yifan’s hand on his forehead, seemingly checking his temperature.

“Yah. How is this ‘a little cold’?” Yifan, who had his right palm on Yixing’s forehead and the left on his, said. “You have a temperature.”

“Just… a bit, I… guess?” the younger said as his eyes stared at the counter, feeling a bit embarrassed by the unexpected touch.

“That’s it, you’re staying home today. Home and warm soup.” Yifan said as he raised Yixing’s head and looked at his eyes.

“Wha- what?” the other said. If it weren’t for his condition, the slight red spot on his cheeks would definitely be a blush.

“I’m looking at your eyes. They look so watery…”

“Cold… Remember?”

“Will you stop looking everywhere?” the older said as Yixing’s eyes were avoiding contact. Yixing was looking to the right, to the left, at the ceiling, at the table, anywhere but Yifan’s eyes.

“Wha… what-are you? A doctor now?”

“Stop fidgeting!” Yifan said as he flicked Yixing’s forehead lightly.

Then that was it. Yixing’s heart seemed to have stopped beating.

Eye contact. If this happened a few months back, Yixing would just be annoyed at Yifan’s persistence to play doctor. But it didn’t happen then. It happened now; when Yixing is in the middle of struggling to neutralize his feelings.

It wasn’t helping. Yixing found himself staring at Yifan’s eyes. He has gentle eyes, Yixing thought. Despite having strong facial features, Yifan’s eyes are gentle - soft and caring.

(achoo)

It was one time that Yixing was thankful of his cold. At least, for this time, he was able to snap back.

“You’re staying home. I’ll make you some soup.” Yifan said firmly.

“But I want to go ouuut~” Yixing pouted. “I just need some sun.”

“No,” the other said with a glare.

“So much for gentle eyes,” Yixing thought as he rolled his eyes.

“I’ll cook, you go back to sleep.”

“Fine,” Yixing knew he wouldn’t win this time around. So as Yifan opened the refrigerator, Yixing got up and slowly walked back to his room. He didn’t really mind though, he did want to sleep again (but he wanted to go out more). And having time to recover from what happened would be great, he thought. Yifan’s eyes were the last thing on Yixing’s mind as he lay on his bed and slowly fell asleep.

 

“Xing…” Yifan gently called from beside Yixing’s bed. He was holding a small bowl of soup and a glass of water.

“Mmm?” Yixing wasn’t really a deep sleeper.

“Soup! You need to eat.”

“Mmm,” the younger said as he sat up and glanced at the wall clock of his room. An hour has passed since he fell asleep. “What kind of soup gets cooked after an hour?”

“The best one,” the older replied with snort. “Besides, I went out for a while to buy something.”

“Cake?” Yixing smiled as he received the bowl of soup and placed it on his bed.

“No, medicine.”

“Tsk.”

“Start eating. I’ll go get my food so we can both eat here,” Yifan said before he walked out of the room.

The soup taste okay, Yixing thought. Much better than what he would expect from Yifan at least. But he didn’t really like soup; it made him feel like a really sick person. “Medicine would have been enough; he could have at least brought me something nicer.”

“Now that’s just unfair,” Yixing said as he saw Yifan entering his room. The older was holding a plate with scrambled eggs, bread, and a tiny slice of cake at the side.

“I’m not sick,” Yifan shrugged as he approached the bed.

“And I’m not seriously ill.”

“You’re not getting cake, this is mine. Eat your soup,” he said as he sat on the floor, with back resting against the bed.

“Cruel. You don’t even like cake!”

“I decided to start eating now.”

“You sure know how to annoy people, hyung…”

“Does the soup taste alright?” Yifan asked, disregarding the protests from the other.

“Huh? Oh, yeah… thanks, I guess? It’s the perfect food for the sick,” Yixing laughed.

“Stop complaining. It’s your fault for getting sick after playing with water. You’re like a child.”

“Pfft. Fine, I get it.”

The room became silent for a while. Yifan was busy making sandwiches out of the bread and eggs while Yixing was spoon-by-spoon slowly eating his soup. A good ten-minute period has passed and the only things that can be heard were the utensils they used and Yixing’s occasional sneezing.

“Hey Xing,” Yifan called suddenly.

“Mmm?”

“You should… learn how to take care of yourself more.”

“But I do take care of myself! I’m just not too used with cold water suddenly showering me…”

“Then you should’ve not played with it in the first place.”

“Fiiiine. I get it, father.” Yixing sighed in defeat. “I’m done eating!!” he announced.

Yifan then glanced at the bowl to check if Yixing did eat everything. Yixing did.

“And you were complaining earlier.”

Yixing stuck his tongue out before he grabbed the small bottle of medicine on his bedside table. He took one tablet and placed it in his mouth before drinking water.

“I’ll do the dishes,” Yifan said as soon as Yixing finished.

“Thanks, hyung.”

“Here.”

“YEY!” Yixing exclaimed as Yifan gave his plate to Yixing. The small slice of cake was still there.

“Ten-year old.” Yifan snorted as he collected the utensils and went out of the room.

 

True enough, the warm soup proved to be effective. With a few more hours of sleep, Yixing was able to feel better. He was even able to work the following day. Of course, that came after mounds of protests from Yifan. But Yixing decided that he had seen enough of the caring Yifan. He always knew that Yifan was thoughtful but being stuck in the apartment with his current fluctuating feelings, the circumstances now were on an entirely different level.

“He was just being thoughtful as a friend. Get your act together, Yixing. Stop thinking of things you shouldn’t,” he thought to himself.

 

Indulgence. Just a bit of indulgence wouldn’t hurt.
But it may turn out to be that fate was right. There is a tiny amount of bliss in every bit of indulgence, no matter how you see it.

 

 

 

It was Thursday the following week when Yixing finally had another shoot. After finishing the pictures from his previous shoots, the company finally gave him another project. Well, Yixing was one of the better photographers in the company so he should be used as often as possible.

It was just an evaluation shoot - something that the company does to all new model recruits to see which concept they fit best and which concept that model should avoid. It takes less time than an actual shoot because they only need a couple of shots per concept. And the pictures do not really need to look great.

“Hi!” Yixing greeted the model happily as he entered the small studio and saw the new model waiting for him. “First off, let me welcome you to the company.”

“Oh! Thank you, sir. I’m glad that the company took me in,” the model greeted back.

“Oh, please don’t call me ‘sir’. I’m pretty sure we’re almost the same age. Calling me that would only make us feel awkward,” Yixing smiled.

“O-okay then…”

“Great! I’m Yixing. I’ll be your photographer for your evaluation shoot.”

“Hi! My name is Suho. I hope I can find a lot of new friends here.”

“Well, you’re welcome to hang out with us; my friends and I are of your age.”

“I’ll take your word for it!” Suho replied with a smile.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------- 
A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for updating so slow, I’m trying to make the most out of my crappy writing ability. I’m hoping that I won’t disappoint you guys so I’m thinking and re-thinking before I write a new chapter. -.-
anyways, to those wishing for Yifan’s side of the story… the time will come, little grasshoppers. The time will come…  ^^