Chapter 1

Fate-given clues

 

“Hey guys, what do you say we grab dinner today?” Chen asked his two friends one afternoon.

“Since when are you the one that initiates our dates?” Yixing responded.

“Can’t a friend ask his two friends out randomly??” the younger answered.

“I can’t go today!” Luhan said while he was putting the last set of clothes on the rack.

“And what would be your reason?” Chen looked at him, disappointment clear on his face.

“I already made plans.”

“Oh c’mon, you can postpone your date to some other time…”

“We’ve already reserved a table at the restaurant, Chen-chen.”

“Don’t you ‘Chen-chen’ me while you’re bailing out on our date,” the youngest of the three glared.

“Leave him alone, Chen. They’ve just been together for three weeks; they’re still in the always-in-your-face stage.” Yixing reasoned. “Besides, today isn’t good for me as well…” he added as he cleaned the lenses of his camera.

“Oh. And what’s YOUR reason???” Chen asked as he crossed his arms and raised his eyebrow.

“It’s Thursday,” the older answered simply.

“Oh… right. It IS Thursday.” Luhan repeated.

“Tsk.” Chen said as he understood why. “Seriously hyung, shouldn’t this whatever-you-call-it-thing with Mister Model stop any time soon?”

“Why would he end it? He’s happy with Mister Model.” Luhan said.

“Cuz it’s clearly not just a simple ‘hang-out with my roommate’ kind of thing anymore.”

“Then all the more he should continue it, right?”

“No. Relationships with models are really complicated and aren’t really very healthy…”

“Heeyyy, Sehun’s a model and -“

“Your case is different, hyung.”

“Thank you for saying that.”

“Your case is more like dating a part-time model slash full-time elementary student.”

“Heeeeyyy. He isn’t THAT young!”

“Stop it, guys.” Yixing said, laughing. “The two of you are too noisy, really. And also, I thought we we’re already clear about that? Nothing’s going on between us, okay? We’re just really hanging out. He even has a girlfriend.”

The other two would lie if they would say that they were completely convinced by Yixing’s statement, but they knew better than to continue to press on the matter.

“Fine, let’s just have dinner next time.” Chen sighed as he picked up his bag. “I’m going ahead!”

“Hey, wait up!” Luhan shouted as he caught up with the youngest. “I’ll leave now as well, I’m already late for dinner.”

“Ugh. I swear you guys were a lot more fun when you were both single!”

“Hey! I still am--“ Yixing managed to begin before being cut off by his two friends’ loud byes.

 

Bickering with his two closest friends is a common event for Yixing. It’s not that they really can’t stand each other, and it’s not as if any hatred is created from the constant arguing. The three of them just happened to be that close with each other that bickering became part of their conversations. Yixing didn’t mind though, talks became livelier that way.

The three of them are working for a magazine company: Yixing is a photographer, Luhan is a stylist, and Chen is a writer. They’ve been part of the company for about two years now - ever since they graduated. Their respective jobs pay well and they get to be with each other, which they suppose is a plus.

 

“HEY YIFAN!!” Luhan greeted loudly as soon as he saw the other standing near the entrance of their office building.

Yifan is one of the models discovered by the company, hence had been nurtured by it. A lot of magazines produced by the company had him on the cover. Yifan was also present in every public appearance of the company. He also had few ads and a couple of commercials. He wasn’t that big of a star yet, but he was getting there.

On the other hand, Yifan didn’t really care much about getting famous. He just kept modeling because he needed money to keep living. The perks, if he would say, would perhaps that he can date and meet a lot of other models and, he guesses, the people in the company are nice to work with as well.

And among those in the company, Yifan knew exactly who the only person that would greet him that loudly is. He responded with a nod and waited for the two people to approach him.

“Hey Mister I-honestly-think-I’m-still-too-hot-to-be-a-model.” Chen greeted.

Laughing a bit, “Hi Chen… Hi Luhan.” Yifan greeted the two.

“Awww. How cute!” Luhan exclaimed all of a sudden.

“Thanks, Luhan. But I actually prefer the word ‘handsome’…” Yifan said with a smirk.

“Not you! I don’t even think you’re attractive.”

“Well that could be a problem, after being a model and all…”

“Reality hurts.” Luhan deadpanned. “I was talking about your necklace.”

“Hmm? What about it?”

“Oh. Yeah.” Chen said as he looked at the necklace himself.

“What about it?” Yifan asked again, feeling a bit weird because the two were staring intently on the accessory hanging on his neck.

“Couple necklace?” Chen asked.

“Huh?” Yifan responded.

“Yixing has a similar one, but of different color.” Luhan said.

“Oh! Yeah. We’ve noticed that before.” Yifan said.

“Did you guys buy it together or something?” Chen asked.

“No. We actually had this necklace even before we became roommates. We were surprised as well when we found out.”

“Coincidence. Funny.” Chen said.

“Well, I really need to go now.” Luhan said. “Yixing will be down in a while; he’s just cleaning up his stuff and all…”

“As always…” Yifan murmured. “Oh! By the way, Luhan, Sehun said he’ll just wait for you at the restaurant since you’re being late and all.“

“I know!” Luhan cut him off. “Sehunnie messaged me earlier,” he said while flashing that smug smile of his whenever he talks about his lover.

“Eewww. Smug face.” Chen remarked and made face.

“Seriously, Chen-chen, you need to get hooked-up. It’ll stop you from snapping at people.” Luhan said.

“I do not snap at people!” the younger did snap.

“I’m telling you, it’ll probably make you friendlier…”

“Fine. Are there any other elementary students that want an older boyfriend? Sehun’s classmates, perhaps?” Chen asked with an evil grin.

Instead of replying, Luhan just gave him his signature “I’m-going-to-strangle-you-to-death” look. Chen, from years of experience, knew how to respond to that - by walking away.

“Well, I’m going home!” Chen said as he turned back and waved goodbye.

 

Twenty minutes after Chen and Luhan left, Yifan was still leaning on the building’s wall, playing a random game on his phone. The surroundings had gotten darker since Yifan stood there, but he guesses longer nights are common these days. There were also a lot more people walking on the streets, some on their way home and some on their way to the malls or to the restaurants, Yifan couldn’t care less.

A few people every now and then would notice him and he would smile at them, perhaps take a picture or two - but it’s nothing that Yifan isn’t used to.

“Hey, sorry I’m late…” someone suddenly said from his side.

“It’s okay. It’s not like you were ever not late.” Yifan responded.

“You make it sound like I’m a very bad person.”

“Well, aren’t you? I’ve already given out twelve signatures while waiting for you. Twelve; and that’s a record!”

“I said I was sorry, okay. I would’ve come down earlier if my mind cooperated with me. I went back to the office twice because I kept forgetting things I needed to bring home… And the elevator was really slow; you know how it is when it’s this time of day.”

Yixing tried his best to reason out or, at least, lighten Yifan’s mood. However, Yixing was just greeted back by a laughing Yifan.

“And why are you laughing?” Yixing deadpanned.

“I said it was okay, Xing.” Yifan tried to control his laughter. “You don’t have to explain yourself as if you’re being trialed.”

“You’re one weird person.”

“A good-looking one.”

“Self-hypnosis, that’s healthy.”

“Ha. Ha. Funny.”

This time Yixing was the one laughing. “Anyway, where do you want to eat today?” the younger asked.

“Anywhere, actually. I’m just really hungry after waiting for someone here out in the cold…” Yifan said.

“I GET IT! IT’S MY TREAT, OKAY?” Yixing gave up.

“Nice!”

“Let’s just go eat.”

 

The reason why Yixing and Yifan met was pure coincidence. Yixing just happened to be looking for a nice apartment to stay in and Yifan just happened to be looking for someone to split the rent with. Yifan was the one that referred Yixing to the company. After knowing that Yixing is a photographer and does a few part-time things here and there, Yifan thought it would be better if Yixing is under a company.

 

Soon enough, the two of them found themselves sitting in a pizza restaurant.

“The pastas here are really good; you should definitely bring your girlfriend here once,” Yixing stated as he browsed the menu he was holding.

“I think have though. But I’m not sure, none on the menu rings a bell,” the other replied.

“You should pay more attention to your girlfriend, Yifan. She’s actually a nice person.”

“And since when do you care about who I date?”

“I always do. Why? Because they are people that enter our apartment. I think I should at least know if they have a criminal history, don’t you think?” the younger laughed.

“I don’t date murderers, if that makes you feel safer.”

“It does.”

Yifan was about to flick a piece of bread towards Yixing if they weren’t interrupted suddenly.

“Are you ready to order, sir?” the waitress asked.

“Wait, I haven’t decided yet…” Yixing mumbled as he flipped through the menu again.

“We’ll need five more minutes, sorry.” Yifan told the waitress.

“That’s not a problem, sir,” the girl said. “Oh and if you have a girlfriend and would decide to bring her here, sir, I would like you to know that we’re having a special offer for the week since it’s Valentines season.”

“Oh? And the offer would be?”

“Well, you would have to order a specific set but you’ll receive a complimentary cake,” she explained.

“Sounds nice,” Yifan responded. “So Xing, what do you say? Shall we get one?” he asked the other with a smile.

“What?!” Yixing snapped from reading the menu.

“The couple special. Shall we get one for us?” the older’s smile widened because Yixing’s surprised and lost expression was priceless.

“What?!” Yixing repeated.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’,” Yifan said. “We’ll have one, please,” he told the waitress as he handed her the menu.

“For… for the two of you?” the girl asked surprised.

“Yes. Is there a problem?”

“No… no… none at all, sir,” she said as she excused herself.

“What are you doing?” Yixing said as soon as the waitress was out of sight.

“It’s free cake!” the other defended. “And you were taking so long to order…”

“Are you crazy?” the younger asked in a hurried tone. “People may recognize you. The company’s actually looking out for your image.”

“So?”

“So, they might think you’re… that we’re…” Yixing explained roughly as his hands pointed to the two of them. “It can harm your career.”

“Don’t be silly. People would just think that we’re another one of those that abuses special offers like this. It’s just a good coincidence that we ate here while they have that offer.”

“Coincidence. Right.” Yixing said, not entirely buying the reasoning. “How can you be so sure?!”

“I just am. And besides, what they think about me doesn’t concern me.”

“That shouldn’t be the case if you’re planning to build a public image.”

“Relax, Xing. Trust me; it won’t be a big deal.” Yifan laughed out. “Jeez, why are you freaking out because of such small things?”

Sighing in defeat, Yixing just lowered his head. “Your girlfriend is going to dislike me more if she found out about this.”

“She already does. We were supposed to watch a movie tonight.”

“You’re hopeless.”

“And hungry.” Yifan added.

“I feel like she’s going to murder me through her eyes again,” the younger said as he rested his chin on the table. “She’s scary like that, you know?”

“Well, you better enjoy your last meal then.” the other joked.

Rolling his eyes, Yixing couldn’t help but drop the topic. “That free cake better be all mine.”

“You know I don’t like cakes, Xing.”

 

If you would ask either of them, it just became a habit. The two of them always spend Thursdays together - mostly eating at a random restaurant, walking around malls, going to events, anything actually, anything that would fall on a Thursday. They’ve been doing that since they became roommates. It was initially a way to just get close to the person you’re living with, but here they are, two years after, still doing it. Perhaps it was a way for them to avoid home-cooked food once a week, or perhaps just a way to escape other people. Nonetheless, for them, it was just a good time out with a friend. 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------
A/N: Hey guys. Here we go! a new fic! ^^
Please understand that the chapters are written on a whim, so they aren't edited. Please excuse mistakes in grammar and such. THANKS! >.< I hope you guys enjoy this fic!