You're a genius!

The real world

“Yongguk hyung, we’re going for a drink want to come along?” Shaking his head at Daehyun the older man held up the files he was holding to show him he was busy. Rather than walking away Daehyun walked to the older man’s desk and gave the files a quick scan himself. “I thought you’d finished all this paper work.” Pointing to the files he was actually looking through Yongguk half smiled at the newbie.

“I am done with those, it’s this one I’m working on.” Leaning over the older man Daehyun looked over the papers and frowned in confusion.

“These are from that Choi Junghong case, they called off that search sir.”

“Junhong. And like I said before, and like my father said before me, I’m not giving up till the kid is found.” Seeing the serious look on the older man’s face Daehyun looked at the files again and sighed a little.

“Maybe some fresh eyes on the case could help?” Blinking at the boy Yongguk almost laughed, half the force thought he was crazy for still looking all assuming he was searching for a bag of bones after so long, and here was a kid not a month in service offering to help.

“Knock yourself out kid. I’m gunna go get a coffee.”

 

 

Walking back into his office Yongguk was surprised to see Daehyun still sat there, reading through all of his notes and looking over the evidence frowning. Taking his seat again Yongguk looked over to the younger boy, almost hopeful.

“Is this all there is?” rolling his eyes at the boy Yongguk pulled the files away from him and started packing them away.

“Go have your drink kid.” Yongguk stood up to leave but was quickly blocked by Daehyun who suddenly looked angry.

“Do you think he’s alive? Some guys told me you just look over those notes to punish yourself for not finding him. Do you really think he’s alive?” Looking at the boy’s face Yongguk nodded calmly.

“I know this kid is alive. Somewhere.”

“Then let’s find him.” Without asking his senior for permission Daehyun walked back into the man’s office and got the files out again, looking over them he started asking questions about the case and, admiring his passion, Yongguk sat back down and answered diligently.

*

-Two weeks later-

“Daehyun you’re a genius!” Looking at the map pinned up on his office wall Yongguk stared in wonder at the circled area, there was nothing but a small house in the middle of several large fields all owned by the same man, a man who’s age and description matched that of the man people have claimed to see on the day of the kidnapping and a man who had basically dropped off the face of the planet on that same day. The pair quickly told their senior of the news and, a little hesitantly, the man agreed to let the two check it out.

They took Yongguk’s car, Daehyun was in his police uniform while Yongguk was wearing his work suit, they both had pistols in their holsters as Yongguk flipped on his siren and sped through the traffic to get to their destination.

 

Yongguk turned the siren off as they entered the disserted fields, cruising along the road that lead to the house so he didn’t attract any attention and risk the kidnapper getting away with Junhong. As he pulled over Daehyun jumped out of the car and waited for instructions from the older boy.

Walking towards the house Yongguk knocked heavily on the door twice and waited, after waiting ten minutes for a response he knocked again, louder this time. “Go round the back.” Daehyun jogged away and knocking a third time Yongguk shouted through the door, “This is the police, open up!” Frustration boiling over the man knocked a fourth time and shouted louder, “Police, I’m coming in.” As soon as the words were out of his mouth Yongguk took a step back to give himself enough leverage to kick the front door in. Gun ready the man slowly made his way through the house to the back door. Opening it he let Daehyun inside and together they made their way upstairs. The hallway split off in two directions and pointing Daehyun to the left Yongguk took the right. The first door he opened was an empty bathroom so moving along he tried to open the second door. It was locked from the outside so unbolting the door Yongguk stepped into the room. The room looked clear so lowering his gun Yongguk stepped more into the room, looking around it seemed to be a normal bedroom. In the silence the man heard something in the far corner and slowly walking forwards so the bed wasn’t blocking his view he froze, eyes landing on a tall looking, skinny, blonde teen. The boy was shaking, his eyes wide and unblinking as Yongguk stared, amazed, at him.