Youngjae

The real world

The week had gone by without any major incidents. Zelo had to deal with a few outbursts from Jongup but nothing compared to their first meeting. Having to be chaperoned by police everywhere he went was getting a little tiring but given that the press was still sleeping outside his hotel he understood why it was necessary.

Yongguk had been the one to him most of the time but every now and then a different police officer would show up in his place. It had been explained to him by the other officers that Yongguk’s father had been working his case until he retired from the force so Yongguk felt responsible for Zelo’s care but he still couldn’t be around all the time. The teen had seen Himchan a couple of times for check ups and to talk things through but things still hadn’t really set in for him. He had been informed that his uncle would be appearing in court soon to be charged for kidnapping but everyone he’d asked had refused to tell him any more than that. He wanted to see his uncle but every time he asked Yongguk the man would just throw some excuse his way or change the subject so he’d have to figure that out another day.

 

It was the day that Zelo would meet the person that had inherited the company his father had started. Zelo had been told they owned a chain of restaurants and some other smaller businesses but nothing that had caught his attention. Yongguk came to pick him up, Zelo saw his car outside and made his way out to the rear carpark where the press couldn’t see him leave. He got in the car and buckled up, giving Yongguk a small smile.

“Hey” he noticed the suit Yongguk was wearing today seemed different from the ones he normally wore, most noticeably because he was actually wearing a suit rather than trousers and a white shirt. It was black and well fitted, tie and all. The older man smiled at Zelo and started driving.

“Have you given any thoughts to what type of apartment you’d like to stay in?” Zelo shook his head, feeling a little guilty that he hadn’t looked through the real estate magazines that Yongguk had given him before.

“I don’t need much, as long as it has a bed and a kitchen I’ll be fine.” The older man nodded a little and they spoke a little more about what kind of things might be suitable, Yongguk talking for the most part and Zelo humming and nodding in agreement until they arrived at the company’s head office.

Yongguk lead the way in, Zelo following quietly as they walked through the building, up a few flights of stairs to where Youngjae’s office was. There was a receptionist by the doors who stood up to greet Yongguk,shaking his hand and speaking quietly before she disappeared into the office, reappearing after a moment to let Yongguk and Zelo inside.

Zelo looked around the office, it was large and well decorated with painting and slow family photos as well as certificates and decorative ornaments. Behind an expensive looking desk sat a man who looked far too young to run a business. He gestured to the seats in front of the desk with a welcoming smile.

“Please, take a seat. I've been looking forward to meeting you Zelo.” the teen was a little surprised to not be called Junhong again but it was a nice change to not have to correct someone. He and Yongguk sat down and Zelo gave a polite smile. Since it was clear the teen didn't know what to say Yongguk spoke first.  

“Thank you for taking the time to meet with us Youngjae, I understand you're quite busy.”

“It's no trouble.” he looked at Zelo, smiling still “we've sorted everything out financially and you'll be receiving a monthly allowance from the company's account but all living arrangements will be separate from that. I have an apartment ready for you that's near the school but if you have something else in mind we can organise it without too much trouble.” Zelo shook his head a little

“Whatever you have sorted will be fine.” he wasn't really fussed about where he would be living and if a place had been sorted already he was happy to be out of the hotel. Youngjae seemed happy with his response and put a piece of paper with an address on it and a key card on the desk, pushing it towards Zelo which he took.

“Yongguk would you mind if I spoke to Zelo alone for a moment?” the older man shook his head and stood up to leave.

“I'll be just outside if you need me.” he spoke to Zelo before leaving. Once he was gone Youngjae stood up and moved to sit beside Zelo, speaking softer and more casually now.

“Your parents would be so happy happy to have you sat here Zelo. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you're happy and comfortable. If you ever want to talk about them please don't hesitate to ask me.” he picked up one of several pictures from his desk and gave it to Zelo, it was a man and a woman stood in a garden, the woman was pregnant and both were smiling brightly. “This is the only picture of the three of you together and I'm sure they'd want you to have it.” Zelo looked at the picture, he wasn't sure what to feel. He didn't know these people. They were strangers to him and he didn't understand why Youngjae would think these people would want him to have a picture of them. Frowning slightly he put the picture back on Youngjae’s desk.

“Thank you but I think this picture is fine where it is.” Youngjae looked confused but didn't push it, unable to image what Zelo was going through.

“Well like I said, if you ever have any questions about them please come to me. I'll always make time to see you.” he gave Zelo a business card that had his personal number written on the back of it. Zelo wasn’t sure what to make of the situation but he nodded and put the card in his pocket. Youngjae leant back in his chair a little before speaking again, it was clear he didn’t really know what to make of the situation either.

“I don’t want to burden you Zelo but I need to ask a favour.” Zelo couldn’t think of anything he’d be able to help this guy with so he stayed quiet, waiting for him to explain. “Well, the thing is your reappearance has put this company in the spotlight with the press, to be honest it’s put me in a rather difficult position. Where I inherited this company from your father there have been rumours of my involvement in your kidnapping that I would like to lay to rest but to do that I need to you address the press with me. To give a statement if you would, just to let them know we’re doing everything we can to help you here.” Zelo nodded slowly, as much as the idea of being near the press again shook him up he didn’t think Youngjae seemed like the kind of person that would stage a kidnapping for a job.

“When would this happen?”

“With your agreement we can have a conference organised for tomorrow afternoon, that gives you the rest of today and tomorrow morning to get set up in your new apartment and think about what you’re going to say. I have a list of questions that are most likely to be asked.” He stood up and went to the other side of his desk again, getting a sheet of paper with the questions on out of a draw and handing it to Zelo. The teen took it and folded it, sticking it in his pocket to look at later.

“That’s fine.”

“Should I have a car come for you?” Zelo shook his head.

“Yongguk will sort something out for me.” Youngjae nodded and gave another warm smile.

“Alright then, I’ll let him know the time and place. And like I said please don’t hesitate to come to me if you have any questions about your parents or if you just want to talk.” Zelo stood up, making sure he had all the bits Youngjae had given him before speaking again.

“Thank you.” He left the room quickly, going to the hallway he looked around for Yongguk. He couldn’t see him but the receptionist noticed him and spoke up.

“I’m sorry the detective got called back to the station. We have a car ready to take you to your apartment though.” She stood up and lead Zelo to a parking lot underneath the building where an expensive looking black company car was waiting for him. Before getting in he spoke to the receptionist.

“What about my stuff at the hotel and at my uncle’s house?”

“The stuff at your hotel will be arriving at the apartment later today. As for the things at your old house I’m not sure but the authorities should have dealt with that.” he nodded and thanked her then got into the car, the driver didn’t say anything so neither did he as they drove to the apartment that would be his.