Hugs

How I Met Your Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

                  Seunghyun’s eyes fluttered towards the ceiling as he took a deep breath.  He didn’t know that telling his children about his story with their mother would be so difficult.  He tried to think of what to say next.

                  “The next part I’m going to tell you is going to revolve around the time I realized that I had to have your mother,” Seunghyun finally said, “I knew that she was going to be a big part of my life.”

                  Vick asked, “Did you two kiss again?  Daddy, didn’t mommy have a boyfriend?  It sounds like you were stealing her away.”

                  “Didn’t you say that stealing was bad?” Hana questioned with a raised brow.

                  “I haven’t even revealed the part of the story yet!” Seunghyun sighed.

                  His children were just as inquisitive and instigating as their mother.  He narrowed his eyes at his twins as they pretended to zip their mouths and throw the zipper away.  A wide smile then appeared on Seunghyun’s face as he took a deep breath.

                  “I knew I had to have her because in the part that I’m about to tell you, I hugged her for the first time,” Seunghyun grinned like a fool.

                  “How did you know she was going to be the one with a hug?” Vick asked in confusion.

                  Seunghyun answered, “That was the first time she was in my embrace.  That night was the first time I felt her heartbeat.  And I knew that it was beating for me.”

                  “So we know who we’re going to be in love with just by feeling a heartbeat?” Vick clarified.

                  “It’s hard to explain,” Seunghyun admitted, “Vick, you’ll understand when you find the right girl when you grow older—but that doesn’t apply for you, Hana.  You’re not allowed to date until you finish college.  And I want you to get a PhD in whatever you want to do.”

                  Hana huffed out a breath of air as she crossed her arms against her chest.  Vick nodded in agreement as he smiled victoriously over his sister.

                  “Now, let me continue,” Seunghyun stated.

_______________________________

 

                  Yoona remained silent as she joined the girls in the breakfast table.  She was eating the soup that Sunny had prepared with a metal spoon as she blankly stared at the bowl in front of her.  She had to admit it was delicious, but she wasn’t in the mood to admire the taste.  She gave Sunny an approving smile and then went back to spacing out.

                  The toll that the problem Nana had given her was great; she couldn’t sleep because of how problematic Nana was being towards her.  Was she in her right mind to even think that Yoona would be okay with it all?  Hyun Joong was Yoona’s first love.  Nana couldn’t expect her to get over him so quickly.

                  “I have some news,” Sooyoung grinned.

                  Like always, she was the first one to finish her bowl of soup, and she was already reaching for a second serving.

                  Sooyoung continued, “I went home to a very nice surprise.  Everyone was out, and I thought that I was going to be home alone.  When I went home, I saw a delivery boy holding the most beautiful bouquet of flowers that I had ever set my eyes on.  He handed it to me, and left without a trace.  I opened the card, and it said that it was from Kang Daesung!  Do you guys think he likes me?  This is a dream come true.  I’ve had the biggest crush on him since we debuted!”

                  Tiffany’s eyes suddenly widened.  Sooyoung didn’t know that those flowers were meant for Tiffany.   Tiffany didn’t know whether she should break Sooyoung’s hopes or just let it slide.  She bit her lip nervously as everyone continued to watch Sooyoung try to contain her excitement.

                  “He’s just so handsome!” Sooyoung grinned, “Should I go visit him?

                  “Uh, are you sure that those flowers were for you?” Tiffany nervously asked.

                  Sooyoung stared at Tiffany and then gave an entertained grin.

                  Sooyoung sighed, “Fany ah, are you jealous that a very handsome man delivered flowers to me?”

                  Tiffany scoffed at that idea.  Daesung was the most arrogant and egotistical man that she had ever met.  Sure, he did have a right to be arrogant.  He did own the biggest hotel chain in Asia, but Tiffany believed that he didn’t have to flaunt it every single chance he had.

                  “Please,” Tiffany rolled her eyes, “Kang Daesung is a player.  Sure, he’s rich and influential, but he just abuses his power to get women and more money.”

                  Sooyoung shook her head, “Well, I think he’s different.”

___________________________

                  Yoona had a busy day ahead of her.  After she finished her breakfast, her manager picked her up because she was supposed to be a speaker to her old high school.  When she was a sophomore in high school, she transferred to a private all-girls school along with Seohyun and Sooyoung because her management wanted them to attend a school that was flexible with their schedules.

                  She looked out the car window to see a bunch of girls waving at her.  She had a little smile on her face as she waved back at them.  Seeing them reminded her of her innocent, carefree days. 

                  “Yoona, be careful with what you say to these girls.  You better not say anything embarrassing!” the manager warned.

                  She rolled her eyes, “Of course, oppa.”

                  “And don’t forget that you have that birthday event that you have to go to.  Choi Misook openly stated that she was expecting you.  Seunghyun sshi bringing you as his date is probably one of the biggest things that happened to your career.  Do you know how much good publicity this is?” her manager said excitedly.

~~~~~~~

                  Yoona had been speaking for the past fifteen minutes, and as she looked out the crowd of teenage girls, she saw admiration towards her.  It was still surprising that she was one of them years ago.  Just like them, she was full of hopes and dreams. 

                  She stood tall in front of the podium as she continued to speak into the microphone.  The public expected her to be strong, and even if she wasn’t at the moment, she needed to play it off.  She hated disappointing her fans, so she thought keeping up a front was what she should do.

                  “…I was once in your place, and I still remember my high school days.  Everything goes by so quickly,” Yoona spoke softly, “Make sure to cherish all the moments and work hard to strive for your goals.  Thank you so much for having me here.”

                  Within moments after her speech, she had said goodbye to the crowd of girls.  Like always, she signed a few autographs and took pictures with the principal and a few teachers.  Because she had to use the restroom, her manager agreed to meet her in the car.  Class was already back in session for the teenage girls, so she figured that she wouldn’t have any trouble with the fans.

                  As she walked down the hall she used to see every single day, she heard a distinct sound.  It wasn’t her heels clacking against the gray tiles, but it was the sound of a spray paint can in action.  She followed the sound and soon enough, she saw a rebel.

                  Unlike the other girls, she wasn’t wearing her uniform appropriately.  Instead of wearing heels like the others, she wore combat boots.  Her backpack seemed more tomboyish, and her hair was not in pretty curls like the other girls.  With a can of spray paint in her hand, she began to spread her graffiti against a row of lockers.  It was obvious she was a protestor; Yoona already knew she was because she was out spray painting the lockers when she should have been in class.

                  “Hi,” Yoona finally talked.

                  The girl looked behind her to see Yoona there with a smile on her face.  The girl simply shrugged and continued on with her act.  It was as if she didn’t care that one of the most sought out women in Korea was in her presence.

                  “You know that you’re spelling ‘’ wrong, right?” Yoona asked with caution.

                  The teenage girl was writing ‘school ’ on the lockers, but she misspelled the second word by spelling it as ‘sux’.

                  “Yeah, I know,” the girl smiled, “I’m fluent in English.  I had been taking damn English classes since I was 5.  I just spelled it wrong to annoy the faculty members in the English department.  Are you going to tell on me, Im Yoona?  Did you know that you’re all what this school boasts about?  You, Seohyun, and Sooyoung are the stars of this campus, and it’s ironic because you three don’t even go here anymore.”

                  Yoona nodded, “I will not tell.”

                  “You know what’s wrong with this school?  Everything is uniformed.  There is no opportunity for a bit of originality.  I heard rumors that years ago, there was a student here that broke all the rules.  She stole the cheerleader’s budget money and transferred it to the chess club and the academic decathlon team via computer hacking.  Those two clubs finally had money to go into a competition and the two clubs won.  She was always in trouble for refusing to wear the uniform, and she always argued with the bad teachers.  To top that, I heard that she pulled off the ultimate prank by dying all of the popular girls’ hair neon green on the last day of school because those popular girls picked on a bunch of nerds.  That’s what the school needs,” the girl stated with passion, “She was like the Robin Hood of this school.  If someone was like that in our school now, it would be a little easier to deal with these fake es every single day.”

                  Yoona cleared and smiled at the girl.  It was nice to see that there was someone that was different from the others.  Yoona was beginning to wonder what happened to all the originality in the school.

                  “Can I ask you what your name is?” Yoona asked.

                  “It’s Sulli,” she said.

                  Yoona pressed her lips together, “Sulli, if you’re going to spray paint the lockers, you should spray paint the ones at the center of the hall.  When I went here, the fake, annoying girls bribed for their lockers to be in the center because that was where the air conditioning vents were positioned.  I guess it gave them that ‘wind blowing through their hair’ look.”

                  “I never thought of that,” Sulli admitted.

                  Yoona simply nodded at her and then began to walk away.  She saw Sulli walk towards the center of the row of lockers. 

                  “Sulli ah,” Yoona called out.

                  Sulli halted in her tracks, and the two ladies turned around to make eye contact with each other.  Yoona realized that Sulli was very beautiful.  Her eyes were large and pure.  Her skin was flawless, and even though she had a look of determination, Yoona also saw a look that wanted love and attention.

                  “Just for the record, it wasn’t neon green.  It was olive green,” Yoona chuckled, “I wanted the popular girls to have the color of peace on their hair.”

                  Yoona waved goodbye and walked out of the building.  At that moment, Sulli’s jaw dropped in amazement and admiration for Im Yoona.

                 

~~~~~~~

                  For the first time that day, Yoona had a smile on her face.  She was having lunch with Siwon after he invited her to an Italian restaurant that he wanted to try.  During the past few days, Yoona and Siwon had gotten pretty close.  Text messages were exchanged, and for once, Yoona felt as if she could finally rely on someone out of SNSD.

                  Yoona let out a laugh as Siwon continued to tell her about a story that he had with a patient. 

                  “The man was claiming that I gave him an STD,” Siwon chuckled, “He wouldn’t believe me that he had contracted gonorrhea from an extramarital affair that he had.  He thought gonorrhea was something that he could catch from open exposure from the hospital.”

                  “Wow, that’s crazy!” Yoona giggled, “He must have felt stupid once he found out that it was only transmitted ually.”

                  Siwon nodded, “Yeah, he did feel stupid.  His wife was very angry though.  When he told her that I gave him gonorrhea, she thought he was gay and started to slap him in his hospital bed.”

                  Yoona’s phone gently vibrated, and she fished it out from her purse.  They had just finished eating their lunch, and at that moment, she had received a text message from Seunghyun.  She read the message quickly and smiled politely at Siwon.

       

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter