Chapter 14

Wolf and A Beauty [HIATUS]

It was already lunch time. The boys, together with Sojin headed to the canteen at the first floor. The students lined up at the buffet station. Fried Chicken was on today's menu and Kai was the happiest person as of the moment.

Everyone's reaction about Sojin was still the same. Most of them were anxious about her. Sure, she was very pretty. But the fact that she's really close with EXO made everybody curious on how special she was.

Luhan who was lining up in front of Sojin saw how awkward she still was when she's out with the public.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's just that...many people are staring at me." She said as she tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Well, it's because you're new here. It's normal, Sojin. Loosen up and just be yourself. It's just lunch time." He tried to lift up her mood. He was quite effective because she inhaled and exhaled deeply then put up a smile.

"There you go." Luhan sweetly smiled. "Just be yourself, Sojin-ah. I'm sure everybody will like you."

"You think so?" One thing Sojin can't change is the fact that she always has to make everybody like her. Her parents trained her to be likable. From there, she developed an urge that she should make people like her.

No one knows if it's a good thing or not. But for Sojin, she thinks of it as a positive motivation for her to make more friends. As long as she's being true to herself and not harming anyone on her way, there's nothing bad about being likable at all.

"Sojin, I don 't think so." He placed his hands in her shoulder. "I know so."

She smiled. Luhan surely knows how to make a woman smile. "Thank you."

Everybody had a good time eating their lunch. Maybe because Sojin was there. The whole day ended fast. She did not have a hard time catching up because her teachers before were actually teaching her advance lessons. Instead of catching up, she knew the lessons even before the teachers would discuss them. Now, it was time for them to go home.

"Wait. Why are we walking towards the other side?" She asked when she noticed they were not taking the same path home.

"We're having dinner at EXO-M's house." Sehun explained.

"Your house?" She asked Xiumin.

"Duh." Kai said weakly but everyone heard it.

Ugh. Every EXO member facepalmed themselves. They knew Kai always had this attitude. But with Sojin, he was more sarcastic and blunt than ever.

"I wasn't talking to you." She scowled. Kai just turned his head to the other direction and completely ignored her.

Sojin too, just ignored him and went back to Xiumin.

"Yeah. Our house is actually the other way around from EXO-K's house. They're on the east side of the town while we're on the west side." Xiumin explained.

"It's really unfair for us." Tao pouted. "They're just 5 minutes away from school while we have to get up earlier because we have to walk for 20 minutes." He continued.

"Why would you walk? You could just ride a taxi on the way to school." She cluelessly suggested.

Her suggestion earned a laugh from the boys.

"Waeyo? Did I say something funny?" She asked innocently.

D.O was the one to stop his laughter first and explained to Sojin. "Yeah, right. Taxi. This is a town up in a mountain, Sojin. Do you really think there would be taxis in here?" He asked, earning more laughs from the crowd. He also went back to laughing.

"Oh, right." She nodded in embarrassment. "Town up in the mountain. No taxis. I get it now." She shook her head and facepalmed herself. How stupid. She thought.

She then felt an arm wrapped around her shoulders. "Aigoo. Our Sojinnie is so cute." Sehun said and tapped her head. He did this twice for today now.

Sojin laughed it off. She forgot this wasn't a city like Seoul. But, she didn't miss out when Sehun called her, Sojinnie. It was just too mushy.

"Please. Don't call me Sojinnie. It's too..........eww." She said.

"Ew?" He asked. He thought Sojinnie was a cute name to call her.

"EWWW!" The guys replied for her in unison and ended up in laughter.

The maknae has this tendency to be sweet and mushy around his hyungs. When Sojin came, he showed his soft side more often. They all liked it. Ever since Jaehoon died, it was hard for them to come up with jokes, laugh around, and be sweet towards each other like real brothers. Good thing she came.

Chen, Chanyeol and D.O were the ones cooking for dinner. Sehun and Tao were also in the kitchen. But they were just pestering around and ate whatever food they saw.

EXO-M's house was just as big as EXO-K's. Actually, the structure was just similar. The same number of bedrooms, same arrangement of rooms and same area size.
Everybody went to the dining area as soon as Chanyeol announced that  dinner was ready.

Sojin sat between Baekhyun and Kris. "Seems like you guys are used to eating at each other's houses. You both have a spacious dining area that could fit all of you guys." She said, amused.

"Yeah. We really intended to have a big dining area since we hang out at either of the houses a lot." Chen said.

"But most of the time, they'd go to our place." Baekhyun pointed out.

"It's because you guys have more food in store than us." Xiumin spat out. For him, it was all about the food.

"Thanks to Suho hyung, of course. He always does groceries on his own." Chanyeol giggled.

"Speaking of groceries, where do you guys get your money? I mean, you're full-time students with being a wolf as a sideline. You don't have a job to support yourselves." She stated.

"We get money from Jihye's father." Tao coolly said.

"Ahhh. Jihye's father....Wha--" She accidentally choked on her saliva. (A/N (Author's Note): Omg I remembered Tao choking on his saliva hahaha)

"Are you okay?" Baekhyun patted her back softly. Sojin nodded and tried to regained her composure.

"Wait, Jihye's dad? Is one of you dating her?" She asked.

First of all, how could they be close to Jihye's family? Was she a wolf too? Second, Jihye was somehow mean to Sojin. She came to a realization that Jihye might be dating one of them for her to talk about Sojin like that. Lastly, why would Jihye's father support their financial needs? These were the questions in Sojin's mind.

The guys all shifted their gaze to Kris who was oblivious of what was happening. From the moment he heard Jihye's name, he ignored what everyone was saying.

"Why are you looking at Kris?" Sojin curiously asked.

"Oh my gosh, you are dating her!" She pointed at Kris causing him to yelp in surprise.

"What?" He furrowed his thick eyebrows."Who's dating who?"

"You are. You're with Jihye. Maybe that's why she doesn't like me." Sojin asked herself. She kinda blames herself because she thinks that she's being too close to Kris and Jihye was just jealous.

"Are you kidding me? No, I'm not dating her!" He said firmly.

*cough* *cough*

The boys faked their coughs. Of course, they knew that he used to date her. But, they broke up before this school year started.

"Okay, fine. We used to date. But, we're over now. So, can we just change the topic?" Kris suggested as he took a sip of water. He didn't really like bringing up the past. He suddenly remembered why and how they broke up. And damn, it was not good.

"Oh, alright." Sojin said. "So, what's with this whole EXO-K and EXO-M? Why do call yourselves like that?" She asked trying to lift up everyone's mood, especially Kris.

"K and M actually stands for our villages. EXO-K is in Kyungsan Village and we're at Myungbok Village." Luhan explained.

"Well, that made sense." She nodded. "Who came up with the name? And why EXO?" Surely, she had lots of questions.

"It was Jaehoon samcheon (uncle) who came up with it." Tao said. "He and our mentor decided to call us EXO because we were like a new planet, new hope for the people of Jiri-san. The land protectors as I would prefer." Xiumin continued.

"Wow, that's so deep, I cannot reach it." She said with an exaggerated expression. She can't believe her Jaehoon appa came up with that kind of name. She actually liked it but she can't help but giggle about the meaning of their name.

"Don't you dare laugh at our name." Sehun warned her playfully. Yeah, it was kind of funny at first but he came to like the name as they lived with it.

"Fine, I'll stop." And she did.

"That's enough. We better finish dinner before it gets too dark. We don't wanna be late." Suho reminded them.

"Where are you going?" She asked. It looked like the guys had a party to attend to.

"We have this friday night patrol schedule." Chanyeol said.

"Huh? What's that?" She asked.

"It's a wolf thing." Chanyeol replied, making quotation marks in the air.

"Oh, right. Wolf thing." She slowly nodded. She understands she can't come with them since she was not a wolf.

"Don't worry. We cannot leave you here alone. Luhan hyung said he'd stay home to accompany you." Lay said.

"That's very nice of you. But I don't wanna bother you if this patrol thing is very important. It's okay." She said to Luhan.

"No. I insist." He smiled.

"Uh, okay. Thank you." She smiled back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The guys already left, Luhan and Sojin were the only ones in the house right now.

Luhan was a nice guy but Sojin was still awkward with him because it was her first time being alone with one of them for a long span of time.

"I'm just gonna be at the rooftop if you need me." Luhan said as soon as they finished washing the dishes. He felt Sojin was awkward with him so he gave her some space.

"Oh, okay." She nodded.

He left her at the kitchen. Sojin, didn't know what she's supposed to do now. So, she just followed him.

"Well, that was fast. Do you need anything?" Luhan asked as soon as he saw her head pop out of the opening. He was sitting on a mat placed in the center.

"Not really. I just like someone to talk to." She said.

"Well, I'm here. Come, sit beside me." He tapped the space beside him.

She walked towards him and sat down. "So, you like it here, huh?" Referring to the environment of the rooftop.

The cold night breeze was blowing through their faces. The moon was shining brightly. They could perfectly see the roofs of their neighbors.

"Yeah, I like it here. It's.....peaceful." He smiled.

"It's nice in here. Hoped EXO-K had a rooftop too." She chuckled.

"Well, EXO-M really liked rooftops. And Kris hyung loves the galaxy. He comes up here before he goes to sleep." He said. Kris was the type who likes being alone at times just to stare at the galaxy.

"Tell me more about yourself Luhan. I wanna get to know you better." She said as she faced him.

"Are you sure? My life is a bit drastic." He turned to her.

She nodded and smiled like a child waiting for her mother to tell her a story.

Luhan faced forward and took a deep breath before narrating his story.

"Five years ago, I was still in the orphanage at China. My parents died when I was six. At a young age, I was already aware that we weren't normal humans. But, I didn't want to change into a wolf. I refused to phase out."

"Phase out?" She anxiously asked.

"Phasing out is shifting from the human form to being a wolf for the very first time. It's a very hard thing for us to do. One has to be guided well to be able to successfully phase out. It requires a lot of effort and emotion."

"Why didn't you want to phase out then?"

"Because my parents died in a war. A war against the vampires. I thought that leaving the wolf life would mean a better and normal life for me. I already lost my parents, I don't wanna lose my life." He sighed.

"So, what pushed you to finally shift into a wolf?" She asked, totally absorbed in his story.

"Her." Luhan said as memories flashed back in his mind.

~~~~~flashback~~~~~

Luhan spent the night in the orphanage's park together with the girl he cherished the most, Yi Shuan. Both of the, were happily chatting while enjoying the swings.

"Thank you for this day, Luhan. This was the happiest birthday I've ever spent." Yi Shuan thanked him. The moment she woke up, Luhan has been giving her nothing but surprises. From the roses on her bedside drawer to the handmade bracelet then the dinner they had at the park. He worked hard at the orphanage and did extra chores so the orphanage owner would lend him some money. He was one sweet guy.

"It was my pleasure making you happy today." He smiled at her. It was no secret that they both liked each other. It was a very cute and passionate puppy love. Yi Shuan was the first person who made friends with the cold Luhan when he entered the orphanage. It was no joke to lose your parents in a just a single moment. It was very traumatic for the little boy.

"Do you think we'd still be adopted, Luhan?" She asked as she hung her head low. Yi Shuan was afraid that she might end up alone. Her mother had left her in a basket at the orphanage's door. When they told her the reason why she was at the orphanage, she developed a fear of being abandoned.

Luhan stood up and knelt in front of her. He shook her knees and she face him. "Yi Shuan, even if we don't get adopted, we still have each other, okay? We'll help each other out. We'll be okay." Luhan squeezed her hands softly, earning a smile for her.

"Promise?" She held out her finger for a pinky swear. Luhan intertwined his pinky with hers. "I promise."

They were stuck at that position, staring and admiring each other's faces.

"AAAAHHHH!" *BANG* (A/N: It's a gunshot sound, okay? :D)

Luhan amd Yi Shuan were startled when they heard someone screaming followed by a gunshot.

What was that? They both thought as they worriedly stood up.

Soon enough they heard a lot of screaming inside the orphanage. The children were crying as continuous gunshots were heard.

"Luhan, I'm scared." She was literally shaking as she grabbed Luhan by his shirt.

"Let's go!" Luhad said and dragged Yi Shuan behind the tree near them. He was still holding her hand and he could feel how scared she was.

The door opened and heavy footsteps were heard and so was a clicking sound. The children both gulped in terror.

"I swear I saw two children out here." The guy said to himself. "Come out now, you kids! We don't wanna play hide and seek now, do we?" He laughed scarily, like a villain in a movie.

Luhan and Yi Shuan both held their breaths, not letting a single sound to be heard. But, there was something that betrayed them. The moon. The very bright full moon.

The man saw their shadows and walked quietly behind them. When they thought the man was away, he surprised them. "There you are!"

"AAAAHHHHH!" She screamed, surprised by the big fat ugly man in front of her. But her scream was no match for the man's strength as he dragged her with him. Luhan chased them but another guy held him back and trapped him inside his arms.

"Let go of her!" Luhan shouted at the big guy. He faced the little boy together with a crying Yi Shuan in his arms. "Or what little boy?" He cockily asked.

Surely, he was trying to piss Luhan and it was working. The guy grabbed Yi Shuan's chin and looked at her face. "I bet this pretty lady also have pretty organs. But, I prefer you banging some millionaires, sweety." He told her.

At that moment, Luhan exactly knew who they were. They were one of those syndicates who kidnap children to sell their organs to the black market or sell girls as slaves. The thought of it made him very angry.

"Let go of her, you jerk!" The poor boy tried to escape from the man grabbing him. But, what could a poor little skinny boy do against a very strong guy? Nothing.

"Stop it, kid! Do you want me to put this bullet inside her head?" The guy placed his gun towards her head.

Luhan froze and stared at her. Yi Shuan was damp with her own tears. She was very afraid and was disappointed that she can't do anything as of the moment.

"Stupid kid." The guy scoffed. 

Out of a sudden, Yi Shuan stepped on the man's foot. "Luhan, run!" She shouted as she was fighting with the guy while holding unto the gun.

Luhan elbowed the groin of the guy and pushed him away.

*BANG*

The gunshot made Luhan's heart tremble. Whose body did that bullet go to? He slowly turned and saw a dead body on the floor. Blood flowing out from its chest.

Yi Shuan. He cried inside. He felt his heart tore into pieces.

Luhan just stood there, dumbfounded.

"Poor little princess." The fat guy shook his head. "You, take the boy to the van!" He ordered his comrade who was rolling around the ground, caressing his groin.

"Aish!" The fat man got annoyed when the other guy couldn't even get up. So, he walked towards the boy.

He was just angry awhile ago but now, Luhan was melancholic, broken and most of all, ferocious as a wild beast that's ready to kill.

The man grabbed him but was shocked when he couldn't pull the little boy away. Luhan turned to him and the man saw how mad he was. He also saw how his eye color changed from brown to cold metal blue.

Out of nowhere, Luhan shifted into a wolf and grabbed the guy to throw him away to death. Some goons also came but were just beaten away by the angry wolf. Luhan didn't even mind what he was doing. He killed every single man that tried to kill him. When he was done, he looked up at the full moon and howled. A very sad one.

Luhan changed back to human form and approached the girl's dead body.

"Yi Shuan." He softly said as he grabbed her hand, not able to control his tears from flowing. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He apologized and kissed her hand a couple of times. He was just kneeling there, beside her until the cops came.

Luhan was taken to the hospital because he had bruises and so were the other kids who had injuries. While others we're taken to the police station until they could find another orphanage to take them in.

A guy approached him. "Little boy, I know you what you did there." The guy noticed that the boy was in a daze. Like he wasn't paying attention to anything. "Listen, I'm just like you. I need you to come with me, okay? We need to hide our identity from everybody. I'll help you, little one." The guy offered.

Luhan, who was out of his mind just nodded and followed the guy. He never really trusted strangers but he felt something when he talked with the guy. It was like an unexplainable bond.

They reached to a room where there was a boy who was lying on the bed with bandages around his shoulder.

"He's one of us." The guy said.

Luhan looked at the unconscious Kris on the bed.

He was unable to feel anything as of the moment except for one thing. Regret.

~~~~~end of flashback~~~~~

"I always blamed myself for that. If only I phased out earlier, she would not have died. It was all my fault. If only I wasn't weak and useless, I could have protected her." A tear fell from his eye. His memory of that tragic moment still pains him. "I swear I'll never be that weak again."

Sojin just stared at him. She felt guilty as to how she would describe her life as miserable when Luhan suffered more than she did. She wanted to comfort him but didn't know what to say.

"Sorry for asking." Sojin said as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Don't be sorry. It's all in the past." He said. Luhan wanted to forget the past. He wanted to forget how useless he was. But Yi Shuan will always have a special place in his heart.

Both of them were just quiet and stared at the view in front of them for a moment.

"Is it okay for me to sing, Sojin?" He asked.

"Sure. I'd love to hear your voice." She closed her eyes to focus on his voice.

Baby don’t cry, tonight dang hei ye zai ci liang qi lai
Baby don’t cry, tonight jiu dang zuo mei fa sheng guo yi yang
Ni yong yuan dou bu hui hua cheng xiang pao mo yi yang
Nan dao ni bu zhi dao ma
So baby don’t cry, cry wo de ai shou hu ni bu fen kai

It was the song Yi Shuan used to sing to him.

Yi Shuan, I'm sorry. Luhan looked up at the sky as if he was talking to her.


I wasn't supposed to update because I wanted to let you all focus on EXO's Overdose. But then the MV just made me want to update this story!

 

Guys, let's all apreciate the beauty of Kim Jongin.

Oh, and by the way and I am editing all my chapters tomorrow and the day after it. I'll fix all the typos! (And maybe change some stuff. Of course, I'll tell you all when I changed something!)

 

This chapter is actually composed of 3700+ words. WOW! My longest update so far. Usually it's just 2000+ words. Daebak! Hahahaha!

 

I'm not gonna force you guys to comment now because you really don't =((((( So, yeah. I hope you like it!