The Camping Trip

The Wild Boy

Kyungsoo rubbed his eyes groggily as he trudged down the driveway. once he got into the car he sprawled his body over the backseat.

"Kyungsoo dear, put your seat belt on." His mother called form the driver's seat.Too tired to even sit up properly he ignored her and closed his eyes, hoping to get some more rest.

 

Kyungsoo wasn't usually like this, he was actually quite a sweet boy. but since his mum had woken him up at such an ungodly hour just ot go camping, he was anything but sweet. Kyungsoo was awaken once again from his rest by a bumpy road that jolted him off his seat. he  sat up and looked out the window, only to find nothing but trees.

 

"Mum, where are we?" He mumbled, still a bit tired.

"Welcome to our camping destination!!" She cheered.

"WHAT?!! You never said that we were going to be sleeping in the jungle for our long weekend!" He snapped with a hint of attitude in his tone.

Kyungsoo didn't want to sleep ion the ground. He was known for having a mild case of OCD, so you'd see why the thought of camping in general made him cringe.

 

"It's not a jungle, Soo. it's a rainforest. Well i think it is anyway." Kyungsoo was getting annoyed. How could she not know whether or not they were going to be sleeping in a jungle or a rainforest? Not that they were much different to each other to begin with. He couldn't blame her though, after his father was taken away his mother had been trying to bond with him to fill in the empty reserved space in Kyungsoo's heart where his dad used to be.

"Don't worry about wild animals, people camp here all the time so it shouldn't be a problem." Her voice broke Kyungsoo's train of thought. "We're here!" She announced.

 

Kyungsoo grunted as he dragged his bags to a clearing they had spotted. He started to regret packing so many things, especially his manga collection that his mum got for him. By the time Kyungsoo reached the clearing, his mum had already put up the two tents.

"Come on slow poke! go look for some firewood while i start the dinner."

"Dinner?" Kyungsoo wondered out loud.

"Yes, dinner. Now hurry up before it gets dark." Kyungsoo looked up towards the sky and noticed that the sun was indeed starting to set, meaning that they spen the whole day getting there.

 

When Kyungsoo had collected the firewood and brought it back to the camp he saw his mum staring at the pile of sticks with a  confused expression on his face. Oh that's right, none of them knew how to make a campfire.

"Uh...Why don't you go for a walk or something while I cook?" His mother asked in embaressment.

 

Kyungsoo nodded in agreement, as he didn't want her to feel anymroe embaressed. He wandered around the "jungle" untill he heard a rustling from behind him, making him freeze on the spot. He quickly spun around but saw nothing and kept walking. Another rustle was heard and Kyungsoo could feel his nerves acting up so he decided to make his way back to the campfire.

 

His gaze fell onto the uncontrolable flickering flames of the "campfire".

"Is dinner ready yet?" Kyungsoo asked, not taking his eyes off the flame.

"Not yet dear, go inside and rest, I'll call you out when it's done." His mum smiled. Kyungsoo just shrugged and made his way into his tent. He was reading a manga to distract him from the feeling of being watched, but he brushed the thought of as he was safe inside his tent. Before he knew it, his eyelids were closing by themselves and he was sleeping like a baby.

 

Kyungsoo stirred in his sleep. Droplets of sweat were running down the side of his face as he could hear muffled cries in the background. He jolted into a sitting position when his nostrils were filled with the smell of something burning. He emerges from his tent to find the clearing set ablaze and no trace of his mother...