His First Reflex

How to be a Good Wife 101 (discontinued)

Weeks passed by and the topic of the first business party was like a taboo to the both of them.

Chanyeol was often busy with his duties as the new CEO of the hotel. He often left the house without breakfast and came home past midnight after she was already asleep. Haera felt the loneliness really creep in on her when she was busy in the garden and looked across the street to see an old couple sitting together in their lawn.

Today Haera was keen on making him stay. She woke up at dusk to prepare a heartfelt breakfast for her husband. 

 

She tiptoed down the corridor and peeped into the room only to see Chanyeol fixing the sleeves of his dress shirt. He look up and noticed her through the mirror.

"Oh? you're up? Why didn't you wake me up as well?"

"I woke up early to make you breakfast." she admitted as wringed her hands behind her back. "You'll eat with me today, won't you?"

"Haera I-"

"We haven't had a proper breakfast together since Paris..." Chanyeol sighed when he realised the amount of effort she had put in to prepare breakfast for him. He didn't like the idea that she had to eat by herself as well for the past few weeks.

"Alright. I'll be down in a few."

**

Haera bit her lip as she watched her husband eat hurriedly. Chanyeol looked up when he noticed that she had stopped eating.

"Something wrong?" he asked and for a moment, she contemplated on whether to tell him the truth or not.

"Uh, I- uh...."

"The truth please." he put down his utensils and folded his arms and leaned back into his chair.

"Um...ok the truth is," she started as she chewed on the inside of her cheek. "Truth is, I have nothing to do at home. The housekeepers clean the whole house before we even wake up, and the dishes are always easy with the dishwasher. The laundry is always hung up in the morning and gardening isn't even a chore." Chanyeol chuckled and walked over to Haera who stood up the moment he did. He put both hands on her shoulders and stared into her eyes.

"What are you? My maid? I don't expect you to do the chores. You're my wife. You're just supposed to cook. We have housekeepers for a reason. They keep the house clean. So you just sit back and relax."

"But I can't sit back and relax all day." she frowned. Chanyeol closed his eyes in thought and his eyes brightened at an idea. 

"I'll give a call to my sister! Wait here."

 

Chanyeol left after he called his sister and gave Haera a light hug before he walked out the door. She frowned when she realised that he just ditched her even though she told him about her problem. She felt unjust. She didn't go to the Wife Academy for nothing. She learnt how to be a good wife and was their best graduate, yet here she was, sitting on the couch staring blankly at the lighted tv screen. He could've at least left her a ball of yarn or something.

She huffed as she watched the so called comedians on tv do body gags, which she thought were a little too exaggerated. The moment she flipped the channel, the doorbell rang. Could Chanyeol have forgotten something? Haera opened the door only to be greeted by her sister-in-law and nephew.

"Oh? Unnie what are you..."

"Auntie!" Hansoo greeted for the first time as he bowed. 

"Yah, what are you doing just standing there? My brother called for an SOS didn't he?"

"SOS? What for?"

"He was telling me it was really important to keep you company. Aish, I don't understand why Chanyeol never lets you do any housework." she rolled her eyes at the thought of her brother's protectiveness over Haera and pulled her by the wrist.

"Go get ready. You, me and Hansoo are going shopping."

"Shopping?"

"Yes, shopping. Now go dress nicely."

 

The three soon found themselves in the mall shortly after that. 

"Hansoo, you go follow auntie Haera around, I'm going to go look around for my clothes." 

"Ah, Yura unnie! You're leaving me with Hansoo?"

"Well duh, he doesn't enjoy watching me pick clothes. It might be different if he watches you pick your clothes. Go try some out. I'll be back soon. We can pay together then." she said as she nudged her son towards Haera.

"Ah, yes..." Haera awkwardly put her arm around Hansoo's shoulder and brought him along the aisles.

"So...Hansoo? What would you like to buy? Auntie will pay for you."

"Auntie." he started as he peered up at Haera. "Umma said we're picking your clothes today. I have other days to pick my toys. But today, umma said it's a must that we make you happy. So you must be happy no matter what okay, auntie?"

Even though Haera never personally talked to Hansoo before or after the wedding, her heart melted at the way he put others before himself. No matter how much he hated shopping for ladies' clothes.

"Okay then. It would make auntie really happy if Hansoo could help auntie pick some clothes." Haera smiled as she bent down in front of Hansoo. He pursed his lips but nodded anyway and walked ahead. He stopped after some browsing and pointed to a few dresses on the racks. 

"Auntie looks nice in dresses. Like at the wedding." Hansoo held a thumbs up and took her wrist to pick the dresses.

"Okay then Hansoo, auntie will go try these on. You wait outside and tell me if its nice, okay?" Hansoo hummed in agreement and sat cross-legged on the floor as he his portable playstation.

 

"Okay Hansoo, how about this?" Haera asked as she came out in a black mini-dress with daisies on them. Hansoo glanced up and nodded. Haera pouted and went back in to change into a different dress and each time she came out, she would get the same reaction from Hansoo. A glance, and a nod. This boy was difficult to impress. 

Haera straightened her baby pink dress as she looked into the mirror. It was strapless and had a shallow v-neck. It hugged her waist before flaring out into a loose flow of material.

"Auntie? You done? Umma's walking over." Hansoo asked boredly from outside.

"Y-yeah. I'm coming out." Haera stepped into the black heels Yura had forced her to wear and walked out of the dressing room.

"How about this one, Hansoo?" He distractedly nodded before glancing up. The 5-year old did a double take and his jaw immediately dropped.

"Waaaaah! Auntie!"

"Haera, are you done with your- wow..." Yura scanned her from head to toe and shook her head in disbelief.

"You're even prettier than I am, sis-in-law." she complimented. Haera turned a shade darker than her dress and bowed her head. Yura shook her head and wagged her finger at the dress.

"We're getting this dress, but it won't be enough to charm your husband. The moment he sees your new look, he's never leave you alone ever again! Let's go! I have a huge makeover for you- not that you needed it but, makeovers are always fun!"

**

Haera looked at herself through the mirror and what greeted her was a girl with jet-black shoulder length hair. Her fringe fell over to one side and the rest of her straightway cut hair framed her face perfectly.

"WAHHHH! Who are you and what have you done to my sis-in-law!?" Yura screamed and grabbed a fistful of Haera's hair; examining it.

"More beautiful than you originally were, if you ask me." Yura smiled and held her handphone up as Haera stood up for the chair. 

"Hansoo!! Go stand next to auntie! I'm going to take a picture." Hansoo ran towards his aunt and slipped his tiny hand into hers. He smiled up at her and held up a thumbs up sign.

"Omo. So pretty! Let's go surprise my brother at his workplace, shall we?" Yura said with raised eyebrows.

 

On the way over to his office, Haera and Yura chatted lightly. Haera noticed that the past few weeks, both siblings had gotten over the death of their father. She hadn't had the chance to visit her mother-in-law and since she was curious about it, she decided to ask.

"So how has Mother-in-Law been the past few weeks?"

"Umma's been fine. Better I guess. Sometimes she gets lonely when I'm working at my part-time job but otherwise, she's been surprisingly calm. You should come over sometime, help umma, keep Hansoo company." Haera brightened at the older girl's suggestion. 

"I'll come over tomorrow then. It's not like Chanyeol let's me do anything in the house other than cooking. At least I would be able to do something at your house." 

Yura, being the more filial daughter she is, chose to stay with her parents even after marriage. Haera heard from Chanyeol that she had gotten married at a young age and she was now a divorcee. Haera glanced to the back seat where Hansoo had momentarily fallen asleep and smiled to herself.

"Okay, we're here." Yura said as she finished reversing. Haera stepped out of the car and brushed down the imaginary creases on the dress. She forgot the reason why she was at her husband's workplace in the first place. Yura confidently strutted into the main building as Haera fell behind, walking with Hansoo, who was groggy after his short nap. 

"We're here to see Park Chanyeol sajangnim. He isn't busy I assume."

"Well.... he's-"

"He isn't in a meeting right?"

"No he isn't Ms Park."

"Great, don't tell him we're coming up." Yura smiled as she dragged Haera with her towards the lift. 

"Unnie, is this even-"

"Shh. Of course it's allowed. He's my brother. They don't dare go against us. You as well, considering you're Chanyeol's wife." she flicked her hair over her shoulder and Haera realised that Yura was slightly more vain and self-absobed compared to Chanyeol. Not that she minded though, it was actually quite amusing to watch Yura. She was so confident and had a sharp tongue.

Totally the opposite of Haera.

They arrived on the 21st floor of the building where Chanyeol's office was and Yura offered her hand to Haera; seeing how the younger felt nervous.

"Don't be scared, he's your husband. Here." she said as she passed Haera a bag of food. 

"I bought this along the way as an excuse. So just say that you're here to deliver food, okay. Go!" she pushed Haera onto the door and the latter practically crashed into it. Haera regained her balance and knocked the door softly. She heard laughter behind the door before a familiar deep voice.

"Come in."

She drew in a deep breath as she turned around for last minute encouragement.

"Auntie, hwaiting! We'll be waiting outside." Hansoo grinned. Haera nodded her head at both of them and opened the door. Immediately, six heads turned her way. 

"WAH!! sis-in-law is that you??? You look hot!" Xiumin whistled as she came in through the door. She put a hand to her chest and bowed in greeting. She heard a smacking sound before she looked up and Xiumin was holding a hand to his cheek. 

"Sis-in-law, what are you doing here?" Kai asked as his eyes roamed down her figure. She blushed and held out the bag.

"W-we were at the mall. And...and I thought Chanyeol would be hungry." Everybody in the room went green with envy as they hooted at the couple. Chanyeol stood up and covered her body with his as he took the bag from her and randomly tossed it to one of the boys behind him. His warm hands touched her cold forearms and she flinched at the sudden warmth.

"Aren't you cold in this?"

"I-I am..."

"Yura asked you to wear this didn't she?" he smiled as he rubbed her arms to warm them up. Haera blushed a deep shade of red and looked down shyly to cover her burning cheeks.

"Hyung stop flirting!!"

"Oh shut up, Sehun."

Haera looked up to meet his penetrating gaze as he reached out to curl a strand of hair behind her ear for her. 

"You look really pretty." he smiled as he pulled her closer by the waist. "But let me be the only one to see you in this next time. The others don't deserve looking at you." she gulped as she nodded as looked away from his burning eyes. 

"Yah get a room already." Baekhyun and Luhan said at the same time.

"Maybe you guys should leave so that I can have some privacy with my wife."

"Hell no. Thanks for the free food sis-in-law." Xiumin smiled as he chomped on the roasted chicken wing. 

"They're eating your food, shall I get you some more?" she asked quietly as she pressed her palms against Chanyeol's chest. He was shielding her from the eyes of his friends. Haera adored him for it.

"Nah, seeing you here was worth it. Come visit more often. Bring home cooked food too, I like your cooking. Now go, I bet my sister is dying of boredom out there." he grinned down at her. Haera smiled back up at him and straightened his coat. He released her from his grip a she pulled away and reached out a hand for him to take.

"I'll see you tonight." He said as he tightly grasped her hand.

"Hyung kiss her before she leaves."

"Yah Kim Jongin."

"Do it! You need to make it a habit." Kai chuckled mischeviously.

"Kiss her! kiss her! kiss her!" they broke out into a chant and Chanyeol laughed nervously. As if by reflex, he suddenly pulled Haera closer, making her gasp. He pecked her cheek and smiled at her. Her mind went blank as she heard the boys cheer.

"That was weak but her reaction was cute so we'll let you off the hook." Luhan laughed. Chanyeol shook his head and led her over to the door. 

"I'm sorry. You looked really pretty I just-"

"You don't have to apologise." she said as she looked down at her feet. "It was a nice feeling." 

"See you at home?" Chanyeol asked as he leaned against the doorframe. She nodded and smiled.

"Come home early." he nodded and watched as his sister popped out of nowhere to ruin the moment. She winked at Chanyeol and dragged Haera away from him.  

He smiled to himself when he thought about how shy she was. That was something he needed to overcome in order to become closer to his wife.