Chapter 8: Aim

MY WAITING PLACE

 


"W...Where is she?

 

....Where is my daughter...?"

 

Sooyoung’s dad already arrived at the hospital, flustered, shocked and crying. The other seven girls approached the man which for them is also like their dad. They knew how more painful it is for a father to learn what happened to his only daughter. He’s in the middle of a board meeting when he heard the news; he immediately called the meeting off and rushed his way to the hospital. He remembered the manager calling him and struggling to give the news.

 

Mr. Choi is gasping for breath and looked helplessly to the friends of his daughter.

 

“What..what happened. Why did this happen?!” 

 

Seohyun walked closely to him, her hand covering to resist breaking down to the old man. Mr. Choi held his hand over her shoulder.

 

“We don’t know uncle. She..she’s just been shot. It happened so fast..”

 

Mr. Choi closed his eyes and manages to be somehow calm “What did the doctor said?”

 

“She’s in critical condition sir..She lost a lot of blood and needs transfusion..they are also performing the surgery now to remove the bullet in her back. Sir, they’re trying their best to save her. We know they can..” Taeyeon said. She’s always the best one to explain this kind of situation to anyone and anytime.

 

Sooyoung’s dad slowly nodded and they made the man sit on the waiting bench. Their manager is out to control the sea of media personnel swarming the area and trying his best to answer their questions. After a moment, the police came in the hospital. Aside from checking the victim’s condition, they were there for something more important. Mr. Choi saw them walking swiftly to him and the girls.

 

“Good evening..I’m inspector Won Bin.” The inspector showed his badge as a formality.

 

“We’re here to investigate further about what happened and relay to you the initial report.. we might ask you to come to the station after..well..you know, this is over and she’s already safe.”

 

 “What do we have here inspector.."

 

The inspector sat beside the old man, remembering exactly what they came to be aware of. After all, they already had the woman who shot the actress in possession, being held inside the police station for further interrogation. They also studied the cctvs and the actual event cameras which involuntarily recorded the incident as well. Sooyoung's dad, on the other hand, is trying his best to control his emotion. Being the lone parent who raised his beloved child, he should be stronger for her at this given point in time. He is thinking real hard as to why this would happen to her and at the same time who did it. The arrival of the police made his hands tremble. Is he fully ready to know what happened?

 

the young inspector cleared his throat and calmly faced the old man "Obviously Mr. Choi, you're daughter is not the real aim of the gunpoint."

 

He scan the place and looked at the remaining models one by one until he fixed his eyes on a girl who has copper hair and very barbie-like.

 

"We took a thorough study of all the cameras around the event hall..Everything seems to be clear..

..that the woman's real target...

 

 

..is her."

 

Mr. Choi followed the inspector's eyes and looked at the girl he just identified as the real target. Mr. Choi gasped as he knew this person very well. That person is her daughter's best friend.

 

"..Jessica. "

 

-------------

 

Jessica felt like a knife just stabbed her heart. So that's the reason Sooyoung pushed her to the floor. She don't know exactly what happened as she was just looking forward the ramp and focusing deeply to not to trip. Everything happens so fast. She just realized Sooyoung pushed her away that it made her fall on the floor and she heared an explosion, a gunfire...then Sooyoung's body fell on her as well.

Jessica's mind went blank by what the inspector had just revealed. Of course she has a hint about it but she had denied it ever since the seven of them rushed towards the hospital.

 

No..Sooyoung can't risk her life just because of me.

 

Yuri went to Jessica and supported her body. She know this girl's about to break down. The truth is harsh but it is necessary to be uncovered and that's what just happened to Jessica.

 

"So.. it should be me.." Jessica slowly said.

 

She looked at the door of the emergency room. It's tightly closed. Sooyoung is in there..fighting for her life.

 

..all because of her. It should be her in there.

 

Jessica felt her shoulders rise up and she let out a supressed cry. She can't even support her own body anymore. It feels her soul already left her body. All the other girls went to her. Even the inspector and Sooyoung's dad. Mr. Choi held her hand and looked straightly to her weeping eyes.

 

"Jessica..look at me.." Mr. Choi said. "look at me...."

 

Jessica raised her head and searched for Sooyoung's dad's face. She can barely see him but she violently nodded. She's sobbing and weeping loudly now.

 

"Be strong child..It's not your fault okay..? 

 

Mr. Choi spoke and his voice is unknowningly shaky

 

"Be strong.. for our Sooyoung."

 

----------

 

Mr. Choi decided to talk to the inspector at the other side of the hospital where the other girls can't hear them.

 

"I'm sorry earlier Mr. Choi.."

 

"No.. it's okay. It's your job to find out what happened... and to tell us the truth behind it.." Mr. Choi replied to the young inspector who seem to regret telling the fact to Jessica and to the rest of them blankly.

 

"The woman.. what's her motive inspector?"

 

There is a long silence between them. Inspector Wonbin ran his hand on his hair and sighed.

 

"Mr. Choi.. the woman is a troubled one.. She just wished the other girl dead." He's referring to Jessica. It's good that the girl is not around to hear this.  "We are asking her questions but she just keep on cursing the girl dead.."

 

Mr. Choi frowned by imagining how troubled the woman was. Clearly, she's crazy for doing that publicly, with all of the people inside the event hall. Sooyoung's dad continue to wait for something more important that will follow the policeman's statement..He noticed that he's breathing heavily and faster than normal.

 

"We identified her as Anna Kim.. an American Korean. We checked all the records pertaining to her identity. We discovered that she just came from L.A."

 

Mr. Choi nodded.

 

"The flight to Seoul she boarded was just three days ago. It seems that her only purpose here is to.... do that to Ms. Jessica."

 

The inspector kinda hesitated on saying the latter part but he nonetheless continued.

 

"We are still checking for the other related facts supporting the investigation. What we came to know by now is that the woman is the mother of a Kim Joon Ho, who killed himself by firing a gun on his head which happened in his apartment in L.A about a year and a half ago."

 

Mr. Choi felt his mouth partly opened. He seems to not discount the fact that Jessica may be somewhere in that equation. The inspector then noticed that Mr. Choi is slowly coping up with the string of the crime logic.

 

"Who is Kim Joon Ho.. that's still what we need to find out..

 

and how he is related to Jessica and all that happened in the event hall.."

 

Inspector Wonbin cleared his throat once again and looked at Mr. Choi's confused eyes. 

 

"I do apolgize Mr. Choi.. but we really need to ask Ms. Jessica about this..."

 

The old man just nodded while looking away.

 

-------------

 

Mr. Choi went back to the waiting benches near the emergency room. He looks at the friends of his daughter one by one. Yuri.. Hyoyeon.. Sunny.. Taeyeon.. Seohyun.. Tiffany...

...and Jessica.

Out of the seven, Jessica is the closest to Sooyoung and undeniably the dearest. He understand that Sooyoung must've done that to save Jessica but he can't seem to accept the fact that his daughter's life is hanging by a thread all because of a yet unknown reason. His daughter does not clearly deserve it. On the other hand, he didn't have a heart to blame Jessica.

 

He walked the inspector out of the hospital, telling him that he'll make Jessica appear at the police station only when she's finally calm and ready. The inspector just nodded and bid him goodbye.

 

Sooyoung's dad sighed before approaching the young ladies who keep waiting for the doctor to come out and tell them something good. They are expecting nothing but good news. Upon approaching them, all except Jessica look at the old man.

 

"Hey.. won't some of you need to go home already?" Mr. Choi asked, trying to be calm and still full of energy.

 

"We wanted to know first if Sooyoung's gonna be fine.." Sunny replied

 

Mr. Choi weakly smiled. He knew how these girls love his daughter. He now looks at Jessica who seems to be tired of crying. Yuri is holding her hand while sitting on the bench. He knew that what had been just revealed is the most difficult for Jessica to take. The kid is like her daughter and he knew that the girl's character well-- she may be tough looking but she is really soft inside. He knew it very well due to his daughter's stories about her best friend.

Mr. Choi weakly looked at all of them. Their faces seem so tired and they look helpless while sitting on the long waiting area bench. Judging the time, It must be past dinnertime.

 

"Did you guys already eat or something... ?"

 

Most of them shook their heads.

 

"I guess all of you are hungry...I'll buy something to eat first.. just real quick. If the doctor comes out when I'm not yet here.. just call me okay?"

 

Taeyeon stands up "Should we do that instead? We'll go out and buy something..the pantry isn't so far from here.."

 

Mr. Choi waved his hand. "No..it's okay. I'll buy you something to drink and eat. It should be okay to eat in here..is it?"

 

Taeyeon looked around and replied "We guess so.."

 

"Then I'll go ahead and buy something..okay."

 

The girls just weakly nodded. They cannot deny that all of them never ate even a single cracker since the start of the fashion event. Food and drinks are not allowed backstage since all the dresses and accessories were stored in there. Only Sooyoung was brave enough to sneak in a bag of potato chips.

 

Mr. Choi sighed. "If there's something that my daughter always tell you..I presume that would be not to let yourselves starve.." He then weakly laughed.

 

He knew how Sooyoung's eating habits influenced the rest of the girls. He remembered his daughter one day told him that she and her friends always binge on food and he laughed by thinking how these girls can't gain weight despite of their eating habits. He is every now and then worried of his daughter's skininess but nonetheless he felt at peace because he knew her daughter would never skip a meal.

 

All of the seven girls weakly smiled by the old man's remark but the surge of sadness again surfaces and they can't help but to look away from Mr. Choi when they knew the man's smile faded the same way as theirs.

 

"I'll go back. just call me if something happened..okay?"

 

The girls bowed to Mr. Choi. The old man is about to go ahead and walk away when he hesitantly turned back and look intently at Jessica.

 

"Jessica.. "

 

Jessica straightened up and looked at Sooyoung's dad. All the other girls are patiently waiting for what the man is about to say.. The old man smiled and slightly pressed his left hand on his nape.

 

"Uh... can you go with me and help me?"

 

At that moment, the remaining seven girls knew what Mr. Choi's real aim is and that is to talk to Jessica alone.

 


 

I'm sorry if all that this chapter has is the hospital scene. A lot of questions come in, ringing...right?

 

...

Inspector Wonbin. Meh. I just thought of this name out of the blue. I find it funny. :)