Chapter 10: First day, First night

MY WAITING PLACE

 

 


 

The old man and Jessica walk silently on the Hospital hallway, making their way to the hospital pantry. The day has almost passed and at this moment, only few nurses and hospital personnel were walking with them, unnoticing the presence of what looks like a dad and daughter tandem walking with depressed hearts and unknowingly blaming themselves for what happened to the girl they both cared for so much.

The man patted Jessica’s head and continues to walk the same pace as hers. Sooyoung's dad knew the burning feeling in Jessica's chest and he knows that what he said is not enough to shake it away. Nonetheless, he's still hoping that he can get Jessica to participate in finding out the truth about what really happened.

Jessica bit her lip, trying not to shed a tear again.

 

“Uncle.. I’m sorry.”

 

She braved her way out to tell the man how she wanted to say since earlier. Saying sorry is always the hardest thing to say, much more for a person who can no longer bear the guilt.  For Jessica.. that's something that she tried her best to dig inside her and tell the old man. She knew that it will not help the situation and she can't help but to be sorry for Soo's dad, Sooyoung's unconscious body lying on the hospital operating bed

and for everything else that follows which she knew will just begin to reveal.

They finally approached the entrance of the pantry and as expected, few people are present and they are just going on with their lives, not minding the seemingly tired model-actress with swollen eyes and an old good looking ahjussi who looks like a CEO of a certain conglomerate in Korea who just arrived. They ordered a large amount of food, to go, and make their way on one of the pantry tables while waiting for it to arrived.

Jessica sat hesitantly, facing the man. He sat down as well and weakly smiled to Jessica. Jessica looked down.

 

“If you feel that I’m blaming you for what happened, No, I don’t..

....so stop blaming your self..Sooyoung won’t like it if you’re like that. You understand, Jessica?"

 

Jessica slowly looked at Mr. Choi, she nodded.

 

"You and Sooyoung grew up really fast..." Mr. Choi said, slightly laughing.

 

Mr. Choi pictured two young girls being together, through thick and thin, almost all throughout their lives. This girl in front of her has always been her daughter's  energy pill. Almost every story has Jessica in it and he knows how the two girls are very important to each other.

 

"Sooyoung is a very stubborn girl! I don't know what makes you withstand her stubbornness... "

 

Jessica just intently looks at the man. She partly smiled. For her, Sooyoung's dad is unlike any other dads.. he's warm, very expressive and sweet. He raised Sooyoung alone since his wife passed away when Sooyoung's just two years old and despite his busy schedule, he didn't fail to check on his daughter and even welcomed another 7 beautiful "daughters". Jessica is among them.

 

"I guess you did a great job being her best friend and making our Sooyoung smile everyday..."

 

Both Jessica and sooyoung's dad did not fail to notice how the old man's voice cracked at the last part of what he's saying. He quickly glanced away and Jessica just saw the man quickly wiped his tears.

 

"Uncle.."

 

The old man breathed in and another set of tears fell down from his eyes. At this moment, he didn't spend the effort of wiping it away. There's no point to it.

 

"I know this is very much to ask.. but please.. I know you're worth the save.. so please be strong for her.."

 

Jessica felt her lips parted and she tried to speak but nothing comes out. The man they knew to be very strong and reliable is breaking down in front of her.

 

I'm worth the save..

 

Jessica really thinks that Sooyoung is the perfect replica of this old man's character. She felt she's talking to Sooyoung herself. Once again she cried.

 

"I'm sorry to be weak until this moment uncle. I promise..." Jessica replied after taking a while, crying.

 

"I promise..I'll be strong. I know as much as you wanted her saved..you wanted to clear things out and know what happened. I want to know it as well. and whatever happens.. I assure you I'll do my best. For Sooyoung."

 

Jessica held the man's trembling hand, and make the man see her "encouraged" face. He knows the man is asking her to participate in the investigation and this man is relying to her. Whatever happens, she'll face this. That's the least thing she can do for Sooyoung.

 

I'm worth the save.

 

Sooyoung's dad nodded and felt relieved. "Thank you Jessica."

 


 

Despite the happy aura oustide, Sooyoung chose to sleep early. The "visitors" are still having fun outside, playing music and drinking. The night lights are well lit and illuminated the beauty of the beach house and the whole island. Despite Yoona's encouragement to go out and join the other people, Sooyoung went to her room and call it a day.

She lies on the soft bed. It's been almost a day already since she woke up in this so-called paradise. Everything flew in so fast. How a stranger come to meet her and be her guide, how this seemingly perfectly made world is out of her own desire and imagination and how she is lying in a hospital bed oustide this world,  fighting for her life after being badly shot on the back. Sooyoung don't know if this is just a dream and she'll wake up soon enough. She was never unsure of everything until this moment. She has no idea what will happen nor she know if she'll still live.

 

Earlier, Yoona told her what exactly is happening in the outside world. How her dad managed to know about what happened and how he arrived at the hospital. How the girls cried by knowing what her condition is. How Jessica cried so hard for knowing she's the reason why this happened to her. Everything is falling out of place. She's just not ready for this.

 

She stared at the ceiling for quite long and she can’t manage to find sleep. She manages to let out a faint smile.

 

She somehow felt funny.. her being in here and trying to sleep.

 

Sleeping while I’m sleeping soundly in the other world is ridiculous! What am I suppose to dream about in here then? Sooyoung thought. She imagined that when she sleeps, can she attempt to go back to her life? Like wake-up in the hospital and finally see her dad’s face and also meet her friends?

 

Maybe. Maybe she should try.. but weird is that she can’t really sleep right now. Furthermore, she realized that if she attempted and failed eventually, it will just make her a whole lot sadder. It won’t do better. Sooyoung sighed. She finally switched her position and turned to her left side. She hugged the huge pillow and buried her face in it.

 

In a split second, she burst out crying. She can’t control the emotion reeking out from the inside. Everything is blurry but her mind is uncontrollably playing the memories of her life, her friends, her dad, Jessica.. everything and everyone she left behind.

 

I’m here, but why? I’m here but I feel so lonely….I want to go back and live…

 

Her soundless cry turned into loud sobs. Her dad would die inside if he learned what happened to her. Sooyoung loves her dad more than any man in this world and she knew in turn that she’s her dad’s priceless gem. She can’t take to see him cry and be lonely. Her mind shifted to Jessica..Taeyeon, Seohyun..Tiffany, Yuri.. the others.. She badly wants to tell them she’s alright. Her life revolved with these girls. They grew up and learned things about life together.

 

Being in this paradise alone is painful after all..

 

Sooyoung hugged the pillow tightly than ever as if the pillow is the life she wanted to seize back.

-----

 

Yoona is leaning on the table inside her own room, her chin resting on the palm of her left hand. Unlike Sooyoung’s, her room is simple and half the size of the visitor’s room. It only has a study table with a chair, a queen bed and a bathroom. But just like Sooyoung’s room, it has a veranda that can see the ocean view. After all, Sooyoung and her room were beside each other, they can even see each other and talk if both of them are going to stand on their own verandas.

 

Yoona can clearly hear Sooyoung’s sobs.

 

She’s crying. It made her sad but Yoona can do nothing about it. She knew how the girl feels. It’s totally heartbreaking to be apart from your loved ones and to be in a place alone. As much as she wanted to comfort Sooyoung, she deemed it’s better to let the girl think and accept the situation. She knows the girl will understand it soon enough.

 

Yoona sighed while looking at the clock standing on her study table. It’s an unusual clock. It only has the numbers one to four, not the normal clock that has one to twelve. Moreover, it only has one hand. It’s neither the minute hand nor the hour hand. Yoona was already familiar with this kind of clock since the concept of time is a whole lot different in that place. The time in the “paradise” is different from the normal manmade time of the real world.

 

Yoona stares at the numbers one, two, three and four. The clock is merely divided in four. It stands for four weeks. Right now, the lone hand of the clock is on the exact place of number one.

 

First day of the first week.  

 

Four weeks. For Sooyoung it will sound like forever but for Yoona, it will be like just a blink of an eye.

 

Sooyoung will be just here for four weeks.

 

She didn’t tell Sooyoung about this because right now, it will do no good. For Sooyoung, learning that she’ll stay in there that long will make her heart break. Yoona can’t tell her that information right now.

 

Somehow, the fact that Soo will be just staying there for almost a month makes her sad as well. Her heart is pounding and she felt the surge of anxiety rushing inside her. Yoona shook her head. She can’t be like this for a single lost soul. For sure, she’ll be taken away. She’s sure Sooyoung’s going to be out of there.

 

Yoona can’t hold on that thought. The girl somehow managed to make her heart feel alive than it can ever be. She sighed while hearing the girl cry next door. She finally manages to stand up, walk out her door and go to Sooyoung’s room.

 

----

 

Sooyoung’s face is still buried in the pillow. It’s now wet because of her tears. Her eyes felt sore already but they can’t stop crying. Tears just flow freely she can’t control them. She’s hiccupping now as well. Crying never felt so tiring until this moment. She never cried this long before.

 

Sooyoung suddenly stiffened when she felt someone lied on the bed beside her. She felt that someone wrapped its long arm and felt its body move close to her back. Its arm fit perfectly on her waist and Sooyoung felt its breath on her nape. At that moment, Sooyoung realized who it was..

 

Yoona.

 

You should’ve at least called me if you feel down..” Yoona whispered. “I’m sorry. Sooyoung..”

 

Sooyoung somehow manages to release the pillow she’s hugging tightly and feel Yoona’s soft body on her back. She felt comfortable and she felt better. Yoona reached for Sooyoung’s hand and hold it.

 

“It’s not your fault Yoona.” Sooyoung said. “I’m glad you’re here with me..It’s just that.. it’s…..sad.”

 

Yoona nodded to agree on what the girl just said. She can’t argue on that. She then made Sooyoung face her. Yoona took a quick glance on Soo’s face and her swollen eyes. She wiped the tears from her face.

 

“If you feel like crying next time.. just call me and cry on my shoulder..alright?’ yoona thoughtfully said.

 

Sooyoung hugged her fully now, the same way she did with the pillow. Yoona was surprised but she hugged her back, her chin resting on the girl’s head and her hand patting her back.

 

Sooyoung cried until she fell asleep on Yoona’s arms. 


 

Yeah. next~!