Chapter 13: Past and Present

MY WAITING PLACE

 


"Sooyoung-ssi..

 

...fell into coma..we really don't know when she'll wake up."

 

Jessica felt as if everything, the bench, the walls, the lights, are inflatables--like something that can disappear with just a single prick. The shocking news was somehow the last audible thing she heared.

 

The doctor, however, seems not to lose his composure. For sure, he was trained enough to be calm about this. For the last 20 years he's been practicing medicine and surgery, he had seen the worst and of course, delivered the most dreaded lines families, friends, loved-ones alike cannot bear to hear.

 

"But  how's the chance of her waking up...soon?"

 

Mr. Choi slowly raised his chin and looked at the doctor's eyes. Something is telling him that he might be joking, but the doctor's face is telling otherwise. Moreover, a joke is not what the situation needs. Sooyoung's dad realizes he's just denying himself of the reality that was bared in front of him, screaming that his daughter has a 50-50 chance. A chance that no one wants to be in unless there's nothing left to lose.

 

"I'm sorry, we don't know either.  The injury drastically affected her body. When she's in that state, seeing the effects will be harder.  Let's hope she wakes up soon. It will be more difficult if she doesn't...

...The bullet went near her heart. Somehow in between her heart and her right lung. It's just a hairstrand away from the most vital organs. She's still considered lucky. If either of those organs were damaged, she wouldn't stand a chance. However, she lost a lot of blood. Even one of her pulmonary artery is affected..."

 

Th doctor waited for questions or even violent reactions. Seeing there are none, he cleared his throat and continued.

 

"At the same time..she had hypotension, which resulted to few occasions of seizures. It happened upon doing the surgery that's why it took a lot of time."

 

The girls are no experts with these terms. The doctor tried his best to explain it in the simplest way possible. Something that all of them can understand and they knew very well what it meant, Sooyoung is hanging by a thread.

 

The doctor looked down and did his best to meet Mr. Choi's pained expression. Knowing that the information is already too many to swallow, the doctor intentionally missed one fact: That it's either Sooyoung wakes up or she never will--only supported by machines which won't love these people back.

 

"We already did our best..good thing she's fighting it.. Let's just hope for the best.."

 

The manager let out a sigh  "Sooyoung...."

 

A nurse went out of the emergency room as well and handed what it seems like files regarding Sooyoung's condition. The doctor examines it, making sure he didn't miss anything.

 

"Right now..we really don't have anything to assure you she'll wake up. But we're conducting tests already. We'll still be in here to make sure everything's doing fine.."

 

Heavy breathings and low sobs are their only replies. That's not exactly what each and everyone of them wants to hear.  The doctor bowed and the nurse seems to take over.

 

"We'll be transferring her to the room to the left corner. We already had it arranged. You can see her in a bit.."

 



 

"..something happened and it made me supress the feelings I had for her.

 

Yoona managed to frown and look at the girl who's tone suggests disappointment and sadness. Sooyoung moved her feet and aligned them in front of her. She grabbed a handful of white, fine, sand and released it just above her long feet. Keeping her hand busy will make thing easier for her to explain.

 

"I buried it deep down and hoping one day I will be able to let it go.. " Sooyoung said, almost a whisper.

 

Yoona breathed in and turned her gaze to the white fluffy dog . "W..what happened?"

 

"Uhm.. that's a good question." Sooyoung said, smiling. Yoona cracked up. That line was hers before this.

 

"In every friendship, there's a line that tells you how far it should go. That's how it should be..right?"

 

Yoona nodded although unsure of what entirely a guide like her should answer.  At the same time, Sooyoung's smile faded.

 

"Well...I can't...or I wasn't able to cross the line..you know, to pursue something far greater than that."

 

all the memories came reeling in. Like they were an old, black and white movie.

 

"For me, Jessica was merely a best friend, someone I always turn to when a guy I liked suddenly confessed to someone else in the other class.. Someone who will just suddenly braid my hair and it will turn out beautifully... and honestly.. I never thought nor expected that I will fall for her. For goodness' sake, we are both the school ulzzangs. You know....."

 

Yoona and Sooyoung simultaneously smiled, both knowing that the taller girl just exalted her self. Nonetheless, It was never an overstatement. She just continued.

 

"We were always in the same class.. always together, if there's Sooyoung, there's Jessica... Until suddenly, one small rumor started and it made me stop.. that begins when we were in 10th grade..

 



 

----Flashback

Sooyoung is walking on the school hallway. Unlike the other girls, her blouse was never tucked in. She never did, even that's one of the school's strictest policy. It's hanging loosely and is covering almost half of her skirt. The school's signature butterfly bow tie hangs loosely as well, oversized but nonetheless looks good on her. Her then straight black hair flows freely, being blown by the wind as she's walking towards their homeroom. Her long legs were accentuated by the short skirt, making other girls look at her with plain envy.

 

She's wearing designer shades, hiding her swollen eyes. However, the entire school already know about what lies behind it. The news with a wicked distorted version spread like wildfire. Sooyoung of course, knew what exactly happened the night before, but pretty much oblivious of how it reached every ears in the campus.

 

"Look at her..I really can't believe it.." one girl smirked, while looking at Sooyoung with disgust. The latter didn't fail to hear it.

 

What the hell is wrong with her. Sooyoung just shrugged it off. Aside from the fact Sooyoung's very used to girls who can't accept something that's good about her, she just have enough stress that she can't take some anymore. Not today. Guys still have the same look of desire and adoration on their faces but nonetheless they have something in their eyes. Disappointment.

 

What? Did I just bear a child or something?  She sighed.

 

Before Sooyoung can enter the classroom, someone grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the opposite direction. At that moment, she knew who it was. Same thing as she is, the people who saw it were surprised.

 

The brunette just keeps on dragging her. It's almost the start of classes. Sooyoung may not abide to school rules of not wearing the uniform properly, but she can't miss the class. Even though she already knew what the teacher is going to teach, she still have to listen, just for the sake of it and because she feels she's wasting his dad's money. Being top of the class is just plain easy for her but establishing a good reputation isn't.

 

"Yah..Sica..where are we going?"

 

They were now on the edge of the school field where lush trees stand, bringing shade to a couple of bench. No one was in there and of course, Sooyoung knew this girl needs to talk. Sooyoung waited patiently until the girl released her hand and faced her.

 

"You don't know what's going on??" Jessica sighed "You really don't know what people think about us now??"

 

Sooyoung take the shades off. Exposing her still red eyes. Jessica looked at it, not expecting it could be that worse. Sooyoung has to look away. The girl is already melting her inside.

 

"W..what?"

 

Jessica shook her head and her face tells an utter disbelief. She closed her eyes and glance back at Sooyoung.

 

"The whole school has rumors that we are together..."

 

Sooyoung's body froze. Of course, "together" means that thing. The school knew they were always together; An inseparable pair. Best friends and sisters. But them being in that kind of togetherness isn't something that the school expects. At that moment Sooyoung knew what has come to them. She wanted the ground to eat her. Alive.

 

"Like...together?" Sooyoung confirmed it once again. She regrets saying the word once again. It feels stupid. And painful.

 

Jessica let out a pained expression. Sooyoung became conscious that the girl came in earlier than her. The people's harsh judgments reached this girl first. Jessica is resisting not to cry. She looked away, feeling that they are opening an awkward topic.

 

"Yes.....together."

 

Sooyoung felt something blocked . But then..she manages to speak.

 

"We're together?.that..that's...That's bull."

 

Jessica merely looked away. Not minding the word she just said.

....Because both of them know they weren't. In fact, It just made the taller girl cry a river the night before.

 

Sooyoung clenched her fist and ran back to the school building, leaving Jessica alone. She'll clear these things out and won't let this girl be hurt because of her stupidity.

 

Aside from running away at that given moment, Sooyoung knew that that may be the last time she'll have a conversation with Jessica. She's breaking away from all of it. That's the price she has to pay...

 


 

Yoona tried to look at sooyoung's eyes but the latter is somehow resisting to meet hers.

 

"As I said.. I don't know why and how I fell for her. I never dated a guy and I always wonder why I haven't gotten to choose anyone on the long queue of those who wanted to be with me.. It just struck me one day..that my heart has always been beating for her. That what I feel for her has gotten way, way beyond the friendship borderline."

 

Sooyoung's feet shook the sand away. Then again she repeated the same thing she's doing with them earlier.

 

"Everytime I was with her.. I suddenly remember how much I love her like out of nowhere, and these feelings swoop in and punch me in the heart.." Sooyoung smiled by remembering. She even punched the air with her left fist.

 

Yoona looked away. She's trying to figure out what it is that made her heart sink but she needs to listen to this girl.

 

"I confessed to her during 10th grade. At first she thought I was joking.. Trust me, you'll be shocked to know what I did just to make her believe!" Sooyoung shook her head violently.

 

Yoona scratched her nose. She's not surprised nor shocked. She didn't even feel awkward. Instead, she feels.. weird. Of course, by default, she already knew what Sooyoung did. Just a hunch will be enough. No need to voice it out or confirm it.

 

"..but then..that's the most stupid thing I did. And I deeply regret it. I wish I just laughed when she said I was just kidding her and go on with our regular programming.."

 

Both of them sighed. The white dog slowly goes back to them as if it's already tired of strolling around. Sooyoung held it in her arms. Yoona moved closer to Sooyoung and closed the gap between them. She pinched the dog's ear. After a long silence, Yoona curled her knees up to her chest and she hugged them tightly.

 

"She felt otherwise?...I mean, for you?"

 

Sooyoung nodded.

 

"Jessica.. she never felt that way for me. After I confessed to her.. everything fell out of place. I was stupid enough not to think that I toppled down the tall totem pole that is our friendhsip. I don't know how many buckets of tears these eyes emitted after that. Don't get me wrong.. Jessica never judged me the way other people did. But you know.. we were never the same."

 

Sooyoung's eyes become teary.

 

"Hul.. the sea is making me cry. The sand is entering my eyes.." Sooyoung lied. She's supposed to rub her eyes when Yoona stopped her.

 

"Dont!" Yoona take Sooyoung's hand away. "You'll just make your eyes sore.."

 

Yoong examined Sooyoung's eyes. Their faces just a few inches from each other. Sooyoung can almost hear her own heartbeat and Yoona isn't feeling differently either.

 

"Did it hurt?"

 

Yoona asked, while checking Soo's watery eyes. She can't touch her face to see..her hands isn't clean as well.

 

Did it hurt?

 

"Of course. It did.." Sooyoung replied. "A lot.."

 

Fresh tears freely flowed from Sooyoung's eyes after Yoona asked the question. Yoona meant to ask about Sooyoung's eyes being strucked by the sand or something. But upon realizing how the girl responded, her eyes widen. she just asked a stupid question and how the slim girl reacted to it is the result of it..

 

That's really a stupid question. Yoona thinks of slapping her head. Sooyoung can't control the tears anymore nor lie that it's the sand that caused it. Aside from that, what's the point of lying when she just told the girl everything?

 

Instead of looking away.. Yoona just held the weeping girl's face. They both don't care anymore.

 

Yoona sighed and hugged Sooyoung.

"Sooyoung-ah...

whatever makes you feel bad about that memory..leave it. Whatever makes you feel good.. keep it."

 

Sooyoung hugged the girl back. 

 

"whatever makes you feel bad about that memory..leave it. Whatever makes you feel good.. keep it."

 

Sooyoung felt funny....

because that's the same exact  thing she told Jessica when they've decided to be best friends once again after the deepest rift their friendship ever had.


 

 

 

the story is slowly progressing. The next chapters, I tell you, will be information overload. I'm working on them. Most likely..I'll publish them while I'm in Daegu. Kansahamnida!