Chapter 16: The real one.

MY WAITING PLACE

 


 

"whatever makes you feel bad about that memory..leave it. Whatever makes you feel good.. keep it."

 

Hana looked at the beautiful view of the sea. She felt as if it's calling her. At the same time, her blank, expressionless eyes shifted to the white sand meeting the blue waves of the calm sea. She can't obviously see the two girls and the white dog that are roaming on it but nevertheless she can hear everything that's happening from there. Despite the distance of the bar and the shore, her hearing is very uncanny.

 

"Very..very odd. Their hearts and minds are like two puzzle pieces that fit.."

 

She flashed a weak smile to no one and she is talking to no one. She sighed by the weirdness she felt and continued to slice a big mango and put it's juicy pulp in the blender. The blender's noise didn't however make her ability falter.

 

"Sooyoung-ssi.. Yoona-ssi, you make my stay here very interesting. I'm looking forward to what will happen next.."

 

Hana then pour the newly made mango shake into 3 equally sized glass and smiled. She then is expecting at exactly 1 minute the girls will come back to the bar.

 

As expected.

 

The fluffy dog came running first. A few moments after, two equally beautiful girls came in, the first noticeably just finished crying and the other has her arm wraped around her shoulder, swaying as they walk towards the house. Hana smiled to both of them. She grabbed Bokshil and bring the dog close to her chest.

 

"let me guess..the sea made you cry..isn't it, Sooyoung-ssi?"

 

Sooyoung made a weird questioning face but later on smiled and nodded. Yoona ruffled her hair and drag her to the high chair. Hana released Bokshil who then run around. Hana washed her hands and handed  the drink to them.

 

"I made it. Hope it makes you feel better."

 

Yoona tsk-ed and attempted to bury her knuckle to Hana's head but the latter ducked. All three of them laughed. Yoona drank the shake rather very fast. Sooyoung and Hana just stared at her as she finished it.

 

"Haha. Such a glutton."

 

Hana looked at Sooyoung and smiled. "Don't be like her.. she always rummage around the kitchen and eat anything she can find even in the middle of the night!"

 

"Yah! I'm not like that.." Yoona defended as she slammed the glass kinda hard on the wooden bar table.

 

Hana rolled her eyes and folded her arms "Stop lying! Sooyoung, this girl is very, very dangerous."

 

Sooyoung nodded "Yeah. Seems like it.."

 

Yoona gave a sly look to Sooyoung. "As if! You like food more than I do! You're more of a shikshin than I am!"

 

True. Sooyoung just shrugged and stick her tongue out. Hana shook her head. She can deal with one shikshin but true enough, with Sooyoung's arrival, she'll be dealing now with two. It's like being a mother to two stubborn girls.

 

"I won't complain if Sooyoung unnie will eat everything she likes to eat.. after all, you know, this place is hers."

 

Hana then leaned over the counter and looked closely at Sooyoung's pretty face. Yoona just stared at the two girls. Surprisingly, there is somehow a weird resemblance between the seemingly South East asian girl to Sooyoung. Their smiles are somewhat similar as well. Hana then switched her stare at Yoona, noticing what she's thinking. She raised an eyebrow and proceeded in drinking her mango shake.

 

Yoona nodded violently after looking away  "But.. I'm her guide so I can have as much as I want also!"

 

"Are you okay with that? Sooyoung unnie?" Hana asked rather skeptically.

 

Sooyoung touched Hana's cheek and let out a sigh. Yoona, once again, uncontrollably had the same thought she had earlier. Sooyoung and Hana both flashed a similar type of smile.

 

"Hana-ssi, it looks like you'll be doubling whatever it is that you'll serve.."

 

Hana's mouth flew open "Oh no.. Oh no.. You two...!"

 

Yoona raised both of her hands, celebrating. "Yay! You're the best, Sooyoung!"

 

Hana sighed and smiled "Well I guess.. the more..the merrier."

 

Sooyoung clasped her hands on both Hana's cheeks and smiled.

 

"Of course..we'll help you! Especiall Yoona! Right, Yoona?"

 

Yoona nodded and Hana managed to accept it. After Sooyoung let go of Hana's face, they give each other a high five. If someone can see these three girls, they looked like they are very good friends who knew each other for a very long time. The closeness seems to be a given, the bond is outright natural.

 

"I have doubts if you guys can really help me and cook the same way I do.." Hana said.

 

Yoona smirked and met Sooyoung's eyes. "We'll help you later! You'll see.."

 

"Oh well. Yeah.You will.." Hana said and she mumbled few other words that Sooyoung and Yoona failed to hear..

 

Smirking the way Yoona did. Hana turned to Sooyoung. "What do you want for lunch then, Sooyoung unnie?"

 

"Uh.. what do I want? Err..let me think.."

 

Sooyoung acted surprised. Of course, she now wants Korean seafood dishes. She somehow craves for it. But can this girl do it for her? She then glanced at Yoona who's also waiting.. Yoona gestured to go ahead and tell the girl what she wants. Sooyoung hesitated, she then sighed and continued to think..

 

Ohjinguh bokkeum *Stir fried squid*, Hoedeopbap, Godeungeo gui *grilled makerel*.... all the other things...

 

Hana scratched her eyebrows and patiently waits for Sooyoung's answer.


As if she doesn't already know what she wants..

 

"Er..I guess. I'll ask Yoona. Yoona-yah..what do you want?"

 

Hana sighed and her shoulders dropped. The girl is still naive. Well, it's just the second day. Yoona sticked out her tongue and thinks.. She glanced at Hana.

 

"Oh well.. I won't listen to Yoona-unnie."

 

"What?!" Yoona gasped. "Why are you just pro-Sooyoung?"

 

Hana shrugged "Duh~If not for her, I won't be in this wonderful place. I'm just serving the rightful master.."

 

Yoona made a face. While Sooyoung smiled and felt incredibly honored. "Well. whatever you like to cook, we'll go with that. And as promised, we'll help you.."

 

The teenaged girl nodded and stretched. "Oookay. I'll cook Korean food today. I'm thinking of seafood dishes.. He..he.."

 

Sooyoung looked at Hana, confirming if what she heard she said is correct. "E..eh?..re..really?"

 

Hana sensed the element of surprise and excitement at the slim girl's tone. She can't help but to grin like crazy.

 

"Yeah.. I can cook Ohjinguh bokkeum, Godeungeo gui, Hoedeopbap, Doenjang chigae and all that seafood dishes!"

 

Sooyoung let out an emulous laugh, feeling a little bit scared at the girl's sly grin and her knowledge to Korean food and of course, what's inside her mind. But nonetheless, she wanted where she's getting at.

 

"and don't help for now.. Yoona got numerous of things to show you."

 

Hana got a notepad with listed attractions and activities the island can offer. She's like the island manager, sans the fact that this is all but a dream-like place, a built-in paradise in the host's mind. If the place is indeed real, Hana is one hell of a great manager.

Yoona looked at Hana, a bit surprised. She then nodded and got the notepad from the girl's hand. It has Hana's handwriting. Everything that won't make Sooyoung get bored while staying in the place was listed there, from the boatride on the river up to the natural jumping site on mountain side to the sea. She wanted to applause for Hana's realistic way of viewing things and of course, her greatest ability of seeing through them.

Sooyoung, on the other hand, finds it very odd that a teenaged girl can know exactly what's going on and what exactly she is thinking. Anyway, she's had enough mystery and wonders on this place, that everything in this island seems to be in their most perfect sense and people have their uncanny abilities. Yoona, for example, can see the outside world and it seems that her existence beside Sooyoung is all the latter can ask for. Hana, is a mystery, but a very acceptable one at that.

 

What would another visitor can do is just "normal" in this place.

 

"Are you sure?" Sooyoung's forehead wrinkled, looking a bit worried for Hana since the latter is asking them to explore the place and not help her.

 

Hana smiled and put on the apron 'round her body. "It's okay.."

 

Hana looked at Yoona and winked.

 

"I guess.. I'm just being an angel..

...

.....

...right, Yoona-unnie?"

 

Yoona opened but she can't say anything. Sooyoung, oblivious of the pun Hana blurted out, hugged her over the counter as a form of gratitude.

 

"Thank you Hana-ssi! You really are an angel!"

 

Hana laughed.

 

"Figures.."

 

Yoona shook her head and weakly smiled at the younger girl.

 


 

Mr. Choi went home to get his things. After all, he will spending everyday in the hospital. It's a matter of choice. After what happened, every second, minute and hour counts. He just simply don't want to be apart from her daughter. Not at this moment when all of them don't have any clear cut knowledge of what's gonna happen.

 

Half-rushing, Sooyoung's dad changed the clothes he's wearing. He put every necessary things he need inside his duffel bag like he doesn't have the luxury to go back and retrieve them. He even went to Sooyoung's room and grabbed his daughter's favorite pillow and blanket. The one Sooyoung can't sleep without.

 

He suddenly remembered the thing Sooyoung gave him on his most recent birthday.

 

"Where is the running shoes my daughter bought?"

 

He went all over the corners of the master's bedroom, his bedroom, to search for the most recent thing his daughter bought her. His heart is beating fast due to the fact that he knows it's somewhere, but he don't know where exactly that is. He then slowly knelt beside the king size bed and look underneath it. No trace of running shoes. Nothing.

 

Mr. Choi get his back up. Scanning the four corners of the room with his eyes. He then took a glance of his wife's picture that is resting on the top of the side table. Her smile is the same exact smile of his daughter, who unconsciously is lying on the hospital bed.

 

The man felt a pain in his head. He looked down. He then cried, while clenching his fist on his chest.

 

"Honey..About our Sooyoung. I'm sorry.."