Chapter 9: Under the lone tree

MY WAITING PLACE

 

“….“How come..do you know so much about me?”

 

 Yoona looked at Sooyoung. Am I gonna tell her anything I knew? Yoona is gauging at to what extent she’ll tell the girl and how she happened to know everything about her.. Well, she really didn't know exactly in the first place.

 

She was just told about what happened to this girl, how and when she will arrive and of course, when she will leave. Yoona didn't also miss the important points of this girl's life--those people living outside this world who are important to her and the setting of this perfectly created paradise as a product of this girl's heart and mind.

 

She was just told. She just came to know it. Like a default setting imprinted in her mind.

 

She just happen to wake up in this unfamiliar island as well. And being a lurker as she is and being with different people in their own versions of paradie, Yoona just casually accepted her job as a guide. She's just doing the same old thing for Sooyoung. It's just that this girl seems to be a whole lot different than the others. It's like meeting a person who is and will be an important part of her life. Yoona of course knew the technicalities of this world and how it should work for people such as Sooyoung but she greatly hesitates if this should be told to this estranged girl who badly wants to return to her normal life.

 

"It's already in here when I woke up in this island.." Yoona pointed to her head. "And my heart tells me you're one good girl with a good heart."

 

Yoona flashed her cute smile which made Sooyoung to not entirely comprehend what she just told her. So she'd woken up in this island the same way as her. Only this girl knew how things work in here and what should be done while she's here.

 

"Can you really see the other side of this..world?" Sooyoung continued to ask. "And how come I can't see or hear them myself?"

 

Yoona understands the girl's curiosity and she felt the need to answer them in the best way possible. Best way means something this girl can accept. Yoona looks at the small white boat parked at the edge of the bank near the tree they are currently at.

 

"Well.. people always knew that people like you...those in deep sleep.. can still feel and hear what people are saying so they have the tendency to still talk to them, given that they are still unconscious..."

 

Sooyoung nodded, finally grasping the girl's thought. She already played this kind of scenes as an actress. A person lying in bed and comatosed can  still hear what the person might have to say. So in the movies.. the most dramatic lines are being delivered when the person is lying on the hospital bed.. asleep and helpless.

 

Yoona smiled and finally looked at Sooyoung's curious face. She reached out and tucked a strand of Sooyoung hair behind her ears. "That's a common misconception Sooyoung. People who are in coma cannot hear what the other people in the outside world is telling them.. they just happen to know it because they have something like us..we are kind of a 'messenger' ; We deliver things that you ought to know while you're in here, at this perfect place.."

 

Sooyoung felt opened in awe. So this is how things work in here. So this person is an important instrument to her. A lifeline towards the normal world.

 

"I hope you do understand that.."  Yoona beamed. She held Sooyoung's hand. She loves doing that and Sooyoung is becoming used to her hands being held by this beautiful girl already.

 

 "I don't know why it's you.." Sooyoung just blurted the thought out. "But then, thank you for being here.. for me." Sooyoung said. She smiled back to Yoona and placed her hand on the latter's cheek.

 

Yoona felt a weird sensation inside her stomach. It's almost make her twitch.

 

"I don't know why either. But i'll always be here for you..I'll be at your service!" 

 

Yoona playfully bowed and they both giggled.

 

"But.. I don't know all the things about you.. just the general information." Yoona hesitated "I still want to know more about you.."

 

Sooyoung smiled.  "Well then..you can ask me questions as well.."

 

Then while the sun continued to shine to them and make the island more beautiful and enchanting, Yoona and Sooyoung askes each other questions to make them know each other better. Like a budding friendship, they started off from the simple "How old are you.." "What is your favorite food." "What do you do most during free time.." kind of questions. Despite being in here, Sooyoung managed to feel happy by knowing a new friend. She felt less lonely.

 

She just realized Yoona is the eighth person who'll make it to her private circle of friends. Sooyoung knew this girl is for keeps. Minutes turn to an hour and they didn't notice the time until a girl, which Sooyoung knew is the same girl who's serving in the beach house bar, shouted at them, asking them to go back to the beach house already and telling them to eat something that she prepared. It made Yoona and Sooyoung became aware of the time and finally stand up.  Sooyoung stood up first and she offered her hand to stand Yoona up. Yoona reached out but a sudden thought made her stop.

She saw an image of Sooyoung's dad arriving at the hospital. An image of an old man with an overly worried face registered. At that moment Yoona knew who he is.

 

“W..why?” Sooyoung asked, slightly worried.

 

“You’re dad…

 

…already arrived to the hospital..” Yoona can't hide the pained look on her face by seeing how Sooyoung's dad cried and all the other girls break down.

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened and felt panic in her chest.

 

Her dad.

 

Her beloved dad, already arrived to the hospital. She felt the burning desire again to wake up from this world. She wanted to see her dad. Even though she can't see him herself, Sooyoung exactly know how it is going to be for her dad. He will be miserable and Sooyoung can't hold on to that thought.

 

"Yoona..tell me what's happening.."

 

Yoona looked at Sooyoung. Her face questioning what she see. She hesitated. How can she do this?

 

"Tell me...." She repeated the command.

 

Yoona pressed her lips tightly and looked away.

 

"Your dad..

 

...is crying. He's intently asking why that happened to you.. You're friends are in there as well.."

 

Sooyoung, who just stand up felt her body return to the floor grass again.

 

-----------------------

 

This chapter is kinda short. Im sorry *bows 90 degrees to you*. I find this chap really tiring to write. Idk why. Probably because of thinking how the situation should be explained. I'm not a native English speaker that's why I'm having issues with the right words to use as well. Hahaha.

Oh well.. anyway, chapters are piling up and i'll publish them soon enough. Thaaaaanks.