Chapter 17: Mind over matter

MY WAITING PLACE

 


------- Flashback

 

Shoulder to shoulder, Sooyoung and Jessica lie on the latter's big bed. They just finished a school project and they agreed they partnered in. After a tiring day, Jessica convinced Sooyoung to stay and no longer go home. They are both facing the ceiling which is full of glowing stars. When they were in 6th grade, both of them struggled to put those glow in the dark stars on Jessica's room's ceiling. Sooyoung did most of the job, being the taller girl.

Sooyoung's arm rested on her forehead, now tired of looking at the glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. Jessica her side, wearing a smile.

 

“Sooyoung..do you remember, sea otters hold hands when they float in the water and taking a nap?”

 

Sooyoung removed her arm and met Jessica's gaze. She smiled back, remembering the cute video they watched about the sea otters.. “Cute creatures but fairly weird. How come they can take a nap while floating on the water?”

 

Jessica laughed. "Right! But you know what.. wish I was a sea otter instead.just napping all day..”

 

Sooyoung smirked and mumbled something that Jessica somehat heard as "you're weird.." but Sooyoung backpedaled and grinned at Jessica 

 

“Well..You’ll be the cutest sea otter..”

 

“of course!” Jessica turned back to her back, returning her stare at the ceiling.

 

"Thinking about it, you must have been a sea otter in your previous life.." Sooyoung said as a matter of fact-ly. "Sea otters sleep while on the water. You, you fall asleep almost everywhere..you sleepyhead!"

 

Then after a moment of laughter, the two of them fell silent.

 

Jessica slowly reached out and held Sooyoung’s hand.

 

“Sooyoung-ah. I won’t ever let go of your hand..let's sleep like those cute sea otters."

 

At that moment, Sooyoung’s heart relayed so many messages on her brain in which it cannot fathom.

 


 

Jessica’s on her whole night vigil.

 

She promised she won’t sleep until her best friend woke up. After an hour, she felt very tired and there’s a pang of hunger. She also felt her legs are becoming tired of sitting down, after all, she’s been staying in that same position for more than an hour. Sooyoung’s dad hasn’r arrived yet from their house. She’s wondering what took the old man so long..

 

“Sooyoung-ah..I bet you’re so hungry right now..aren’t you?”

 

The sound of the electrocardiogram seems to be a music playing in her head now. For sure, when she go outside, it will be stuck in her ear. She looked at Sooyoung again and she swept the sleeping girl’s bangs aside. Her forehead becomes visible. Then Jessica thought of a brilliant idea. She stood up and walked towards the big brown couch. She inhaled deeply and with all her strength, she moved the couch on Soo's bedside. The couch creaked as it was being pushed away it's previous location.

 

"This is heavy..ugh."

 

Despite her effort, every strong push she made creates just a little movement on the couch. She continued to push until just a small gap remains between the couch and Sooyoung's bed. Jessica's arms become numb by pushing.

..

....

"Sooyoung help me.."

 

She realized she suddenly blurted the request out. Of course, Sooyoung's always help her. She's always there for her. There was never a time this girl abandoned her. That's how it is. She's the best of the best friends ever. How come she only realizes it when the girl's on the verge of living or dying?

 

 What's worse..is there are numerous times wherein she let Sooyoung down. All are reeking in. She's a terrible best friend. Jessica felt her body's remaining strength evaporated into thin air. She slumped on the couch which is not that parallel to Sooyoung's bed. Jessica hopelessly looked at Sooyoung. The tall girl remained inanimate, not knowing what is happening and obviously can't come to cater her request.

 

"Yah..be honest.. I've been a terrible best friend. Am I?"

 

Beep.

 

"I won't be... from this day forward."

 

Jessica stood up and gathered all her remaining faculties of strength. Mind over freaking matter, she thought. With a single strong push, the couch moved, meeting Sooyoung's bedside. Jessica thought that what she'd done of rearranging the couch is against the hospital policy but she doesn' care anymore. She inhaled and removed her flat shoes, grabbed a throw pillow and placed it on the edge of the couch. She jumped into it and lied down, facing Sooyoung. They seem to be lying on the same bed now.

 

"I made it.. I moved the couch. Haha. Just me. Be proud of me, Sooyoung."

 

Upon lying down and facing left, Jessica felt a tear fell down her face.She's crying again. She held Sooyoung's hand even though there are wires of some sort something that are clipped on her fingers. Whatever those are, Jessica doesn't mind them. She placed her hand on Soo's palm and closed her eyes.

 

"I bet it's okay to sleep this way.."

 

"Isn't it? Sooyoung.."

 


 

"Jaebal....wake up..and let's be happy...

 

Together."

 

Hana looked cautiously at Yoona who stopped in the middle of eating the lunch Hana prepared. The latter did not fail to do the same. Sooyoung seems to be oblivious of how the two suddenly acted. She just continuously munch on the savory feast in front of her.

 

Hana bit her lip and looked away. Yoona looked at Sooyoung.

 

They both heard it.

 

Hana then looked at Yoona and Sooyoung. "I'll go get another plate of kimchi..you guys already finished the one I served you earlier..bunch of gluttons......"

 

Sooyoung laughed. However, Yoona cautiously felt the cue. "I..I'll help you..I'll go with you." She looked at Sooyoung again. "Wait in here Sooyoung.."

 

"okay..go ahead. Hehe.." Sooyoung replied while shoving a spoonful of rice into .

 

In the kitchen, Hana carefully opened the container cotaining kimchi, merely focusing on what she's supposed to do. On the other hand, she seems to be waiting for Yoona to speak.

 

"Someone's talking to her already.." Yoona broke the silence as Hana expected. She nodded.

 

"It's her best friend..you heared it completely, don't you?" Hana answered back.

 

Yoona reluctantly nodded. Hana weirdly smiled. "You..you are becoming more like me. Each and every day...That's really, really odd..."

 

Yoona scratched her forehead and leaned back on the fridge. "I know.. but why on her? only her?"

 

"I don't know. Maybe you're meant to be her guide. Like for real, after all.." Hana grinned like she thought of something amusing.

 

Yoona worriedly looked at Hana. "Do I need to tell her?"

 

Hana's about to leave the kitchen with a plate full of side kimchi. "Of course..you're her guide now. You should play the part..."

 

Yoona breathed rather deeply and walked behind Hana.

 

What she heared, she needs to tell Sooyoung. Every word of it and every feeling it conveys.

 

Yoona bit her lip. Tsk, every feeling it conveys.

 

This is what really makes her think she does not qualify to be the girl's guide.