Chapter 16: Sooyoung

MY WAITING PLACE

Illus. 1. : The small river boat, island trail.


 

Yoona looked at the notepad. It has thousands of things listed in it. Hana is plain genius.

 

or maybe really just being an angel.

 

Yoona sighed. Sooyoung looked at her, kind of worried.

 

"So..something bothering you?"

 

Yoona beamed. "No..nothing. I'm just awfully thankful of Hana..she's doing real great."

 

"Yeah. too great for a visitor..huh?"

 

Yoona stopped. So that's what she told her. "Ye..yeah. It makes me ashamed of what I'm doing..being your guide and all.."

 

Sooyoung shook her head and laughed. "Don't..you're doing perfectly fine.."

 

Yoona blushed and looked away. Sooyoung held her hand. Unknown feelings came in and make her heart  flutter.

 

"So..where are we going?" Sooyoung asked, scanning the similar trail they walked on yesterday.

 

Yoona looked at the long list. All are awesome. What should she pick? Sooyoung leaned closer to look at the notepad. Yoona managed to hide it on her back.

 

"Yah..can't I see that?" Sooyoung said, pouting.

 

Yoona grinned. "no. This notepad contains surprises you shouldn't see and you shouldn't know unless we're already there."

 

Sooyoung gasped. "It's okay as long as it doesn't involve things like seeing spiders.. hunting bears and meeting wild animals on the way."

 

Yoona let out her signature laugh. The girl's preference pertains to the things she watched so much on the television.

 

"Ja..you want to ride a boat? the river is really..really nice."

 

Sooyoung smiled. "That's a good idea.Do you know I want us to own a boat when I was a kid. Too bad our house doesn't have a river beside it or something..so my dad says it's useless..

 

Yoona smiled back. Good thing the girl's taking her advice. Good things must come into mind rather than the sad ones.

 

They reached the same green meadow they went to yesterday and the lone tree is still standing there, more majestic as it can ever be. At this moment, the sun was being blocked by the clouds, making it's rays bearable for a person to feel it.

 

Sooyoung approached the bank half running. Sooyoung never noticed yesterday, but there is a wooden riverside platform deck where a white small boat is tied. Yoona followed right after, their feet makes thumping sound on the wooden plank. Soo woah-ed by seeing the river too closely. It's crystal clear. She knelt on the platform deck and leaned to touch the water. It's warm.  Yoona grabbed the rope of the boat and pulled it closer to the deck.

 

"Sooyoung, hop in."

 

Yoona reached for Sooyoung's hand and make her comfortably sit on the boat. Sooyoung excitedly grabbed one oar.

 

"I'll paddle! Hehe.."

 

"Of course..you will. Silly girl.." Yoona said while hopping in. She removed the rope from the boat itself. It freely drifted away from the plank. Sooyoung grinned.

 


 

After minutes of paddling, stopping and talking and paddling again, the boat reached an end. Of course, the river doesn't stop there but the edge became narrower, steeper and consists of rocky floor.

 

"where did that suppose to lead?" Sooyoung asked, pointing at the narrower part of the river, the boat cannot clearly go on that path.

 

Yoona looked over her shoulder. "Ah..that? if you follow that by foot, there will be a pretty waterfall at the end"

 

Sooyoung gasped and her eyes widened "W..waterfall? Seriously???"

 

Yoona smiled. "Of course. Where do you think the river will start? The water comes from the mountain, you know.."

 

"Ah..I see." Soo nodded while imagining the geographical image of mountain, waterfall, river and sea on her mind. Geography 101. She imagined that waterfalls are beautiful water forms. She never seen one her whole life. For sure, that's something they must see. She looked at Yoona. "Just how big this island is? Like everything is in here.."

 

"See..I told you. You have an outstanding paradise..Hehe." Yoona winked at her. "And how big this is? Well, big enough to not let you go bored while you stay here.."

 

Sooyoung nodded, accepting the vague answer the girl gave her. She turned her gaze everywhere, adoring the beautiful scenery. She closed her eyes and make an imprinted memory of the place in her mind. This is too beautiful to forget.

 

"So..I'll be staying here for more than I can imagine..Will I?"

 

Yoona can't answer her right away. She regretted saying something to the girl that would make her think that way. Yoona shook her head but can't think of the right word to say.

 

Sooyoung smiled "It's okay. I..I guess that's fine..Anyway, this is a wonderful experience..".

 

Yoona knew this girl is trying hard to make her feel alright. She looked away.

 

'Sooyoung-ah.."

 

"Huh?"

 

"do you want to know..how long you'll be staying here?" Yoona offered to tell her. Maybe that's the right thing to do.

 

Sooyoung reached out and feel the river's warm water on her hands once again.

 

"I guess.. I don't want to know.. "

 

Yoona breathed slowly. She felt somehow relieved. Sooyoung beamed and held the oar again.

 

"Let's go back! and hey..I want to see the waterfall some other time. Take me there okay?"

 

Yoona nodded and paddled. "Sure.."

 


 

Sooyoung and Yoona continued to paddle when the sun's strong rays seeps through the clouds. It's getting hotter. They didn't bring an umbrella with them for obvious reason that they rushed getting in this place. They can now see the lone tree and the wooden platfrom deck situated on the riverside.

 

Yoona placed her hand parallel to her forehead to block the sun's rays on her face.

 

"It's hotter this time. Ugh..Let's just jump in and swim to the bank!"

 

Sooyoung throw her hand immediately in front of her, forming an "X" sign. She can't blurt out the right word.

 

“What? You don’t want to jump? It's irritating..the sun..Come on!" Yoona said. Pleading.

 

"err..you don't know how to swim?” Yoona asked, not expecting the girl’s inability to swim..

 

Sooyoung shyly shook her head. She blushed.

 

“Weird. Your name’s equivalent to the word swimming yet..” Yoona hesitated to continue what she’s saying. She then smiled and knew what to do.

 

“Can you stand up?” Yoona playfully asked.

 

Sooyoung faltered “Why would I? What if this boat suddenly turned over?”

 

Yoona smiled “Just stand..I’ll hold your hand. Oh well..both of us stand..”

 

"I don't want. I won't stand up!" Sooyoung insisted, folding her arms.

 

Yoona grabbed Sooyoung’s both hands and forcibly make the taller girl stand. Sooyoung panicked and had no choice but to stand up. She gasped since their actions made the boat rock and sway a bit. When both of them are settled on their standing positions, Yoona smiled. They are standing face to face, holding each other’s hands.

 

“Sooyoung…” Yoona slowly said.

 

“W..what?”

 

“Do you know how deep this part of the river is?”

 

“How should I know?” Sooyoung shook her head and loudly replied to Yoona. That made the boat sway violently. Soo’s hand almost squished Yoong’s hand due to her fear of the boat toppling over...

 

“Easy..easy..” Yoona said while wincing in pain due to Soo’s crazy hold. “You’re crushing my hand..”

 

Sooyoung’s become aware of it and soften her hold but she never let go of the girls’ hands. She’s too afraid to do that.

 

“Soo…” Yoona said, almost whispering now. “Do you know that people can know how to swim or at least float because of their fear from drowning..?”

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “Re..really?” she doesn’t like where Yoona’s heading to.

 

“Uhum…” Yoona nodded. She let go of Sooyoung’s hands and put her hands up in the air.. “ja! Let’s go!!!”

 

She pushed Sooyoung’s shoulder a little bit strongly away from the boat. Sooyoung screamed and managed to grabbed Yoona’s shoulder. Both of them fell to the river which gladly meet their bodies.

 

Sooyoung’s head became blank. She felt the warm water splashed over her. Before she knew it, her body is now under water. She struggled to make her face go up. She did. But her feet can’t reach the ground, it made her panic.

 

“Yoonaaaaa…yaaaah!”

 

She saw Yoona’s head emerged from the water as soon as she did as well. They are about two meters apart.. Yoona met her eyes. She’s laughing loudly.

 

“Easy.. just stay afloat and relax!!!” Yoona shouted.

 

I can’t relax!!! Sooyoung’s struggling to stay afloat. She’s now sinking.

 

“Help me, you rascal! I’ll kill you!” Sooyoung manages to shout back. She just heared the girl laugh louder. She’s not swimming towards her to help her.. Sooyoung’s head has been in the water for the fourth time.. She can’t properly breathe. She keeps shut to prevent water intake.

 

“Just somehow dance in the water. Like moving the curtain aside from the window pane!” Yoona instructed while she manages to float. “and your legs, just use them like your running..slowly.. Aish! you have long legs..use them!!!”

 

She didn’t remove her eyes from Yoona’s “I’m drowning! I’ll die.. glarbreabsjwdejd..!!!”

 

Yoona laughed by what Sooyoung said like it was a joke. Sooyoung realized what she just said as well.. She somehow get it why the girl laughed. Yoona swam towards Sooyoung but she maintained her distance, making sure the struggling girl won’t grab her.

 

“Stay afloat Sooyoung.Or you’ll really die.. Hahahaha” Yoona shouted. “Just think this river has a number of sea alligators residing somewhere near….you must learn to swim before they reach you!!!!”

 

Wha..what? Sea alligators? The hell? Sooyoung felt panicky as ever that she started kicking and her arms to stay afloat and swim towards the boat. She heared Yoona burst into laughing again. Sooyoung felt stupid and useless for not learning how to swim when she’s younger.

 

Just like dancing in the water. Heh. As if that’s easy!! Sooyoung thought, she never tried that since she’s afraid in the first place. She never knew she’ll be in this situation because she’s always careful. Now that she have nothing to lose.. There is no point to not trying. She should at least try it…

 

Screw this. Sooyoung concentrated. She won’t let this beat her, she thought. Just relax and do what she said. She emerged from the water again to build a good momentum and start threading.

 

“Oh..There! You’re floating! See, I told you!” Yoona said rejoicing. “Who needs a floating jacket now huh?”

 

Sooyoung felt that she’s now floating. She can’t feel herself going back under the water anymore. She managed to smile and continue to do what she’s doing.

 

“Just slowly..or you’ll get tired easily.” Yoona added.

 

Sooyoung nodded. She’s smiling widely now. She can’t believe she can do this at this point of time. It’s never too late to learn something new.. Thanks to this crazy girl.She told her self. She glanced back at Yoona and gave her an appreciative smile. Yoona saw it and felt proud of her. She then swam closely to Sooyoung and wrapped her legs and her long arms to Soo’s body playfully.

 

“Yes..she can do it now….” Yoona playfully said. “Can you swim now? Let’s go there..you’ll feel the ground just a few meters away from here..this river isn’t that deep you know..I won’t push you if this is that deep…”

 

Sooyoung nodded. Their bodies are too close. “I..how should I move?” Sooyoung hesitantly said.

 

Yoona swam towards the direction she just told to Sooyoung. “Just follow after me..”

 

Sooyoung studied what the girl is doing and followed her. Later on, she felt the ground and she can now stand on it. She felt rocks under her feet and felt relieved. She looked back to see the boat just floating freely, quite far from what they reached. They are now quite near the bank and near Yoona’s favorite tree.

 

Yoona splashed the water to her. “You can go “sooyoung” now..Sooyoung” She made sure to emphasize the Sooyoung as the verb and Sooyoung as the noun.

 

Sooyoung walked towars her and placed her arm over her shoulders and started strangling Yoona’s neck.

 

“yah. You forgot what I told you earlier..I’ll kill you for trying to kill me!” Sooyoung said.

 

Both of them struggled. Sooyoung laughed. Yoona realized that Sooyoung is hugging her back comfortably. She shivered and felt her heart beat faster. Sooyoung stayed that way and leaned closer to Yoong.

 

“Thank you.. Yoongie”

 

Yoona breathed slowly, realizing how sweetly Sooyoung addressed her as “Yoongie”. Yoona smiled and nodded.

 

“But let’s go before the alligators manages to reach us..”

 

Yoona quickly swam towards the bank, leaving Sooyoung who is still too slow to swim but nonetheless she can already do it. Sooyoung panted when she reached the river bank. Yoona manages to laugh even she’s panting as well. Her body is being supported by her knees. Both of them are wet and the water is dripping from their hair.

 

“you are crazy..” Sooyoung said. “Are there really alligators in this river?”

 

Yoona laughed and shook her head. “How come? True, rivers near the ocean should have.. but this is a perfect world. This is your own version of paradise right..? There should be nothing in here that should hurt you.. theoretically speaking..” Yoona explained.

 

“I can’t believe how I believed everything you said about alligators..” Sooyoung said, feeling stupid. “You’re the only alligator here! Aish!”

 

Sooyoung ran towards Yoona to scold her physically but Yoona ran towards the tree to escape Soo’s rage. Both of them laughing and feeling happy as they could ever be.