Chapter 5 : Stranger or a New Friend?

My Love Is Like A Star [DISCONTINUING]

STRANGER OR A NEW FRIEND?

 

A certain guy rode a bus to Seoul from the province so he can get to the place his parents bought for him to stay in during his study. He looked out of the window and he was amazed with all the establishments in the city. I can see that this will be the most exciting year for me.

As he adored the city, he heard a very soft sniffling in one corner. He scanned the bus and  saw a girl suppressing her sobs in one of the seats near him. He went to her side and brought his things with him.

He stared at her for some time and felt that she is really in pain, emotionally. He was hesitating to disturb her, but decided to do so. He tapped her shoulder gently. “uhmm.. miss? Are you alright?”

Jinri looked at the guy beside her with curiosity. He wears a pair of jeans, a statement-shirt which she did not bother reading and a thick jacket. He also has this big bag indicating that he is from somewhere and is moving in to Seoul.

She did not respond so he grew more worried. He was not used to seeing girls cry. He had seen his mother cried before when his grandfather died, and it pained me even though he was just eight years old that time. Seeing this girl beside me cry, strangely affected me as much.

She just stared at him blankly. He asked her again, thinking that she wasn’t able to catch what he said earlier. “ Miss? I said….are you alright?”

Jinri didn’t know what to say so she just nodded her head and smiled reassuringly before shifting back to the window. He knew she lied, since she still has this hurt look in her eyes when she looked away. Her eyes was bloody red, her lips were trembling. I don’t know what she has gone through, but I am sure it is something bad.

He tried thinking of ways to help her. He is not naturally helpful, especially to strangers, but there is this strong urge to help her. He checked his bag for some things that could help, and then found the sandwich his mother prepared for him.

Jinri was about to fall asleep from crying when the same guy talked to her. “Hey, do you want some? I still have plenty. I just wondered if you are hungry.” He said while handing her a piece of sandwich, which she noticed has lettuce, tomatoes and cut boiled eggs. She looked at him, a bit surprised of his action. How could a stranger be so nice to me? He is so unbelievable.

He stared back at her for a few seconds and waited for her answer. He observed her scrutinizing the sandwich, probably thinking if it’s edible.

She was hesitating to get it because she really don’t know who he is and she is so confused as to why he is so nice to her. Her mind was still arguing when he suddenly spoke, snapping her out of her thoughts. “It’s alright if you don’t want. I was just thinking if eating this will make you feel better.” He pouted. Then suddenly a very small flashback came to me. His face became somehow familiar. He looked like someone I knew before but I couldn’t point out who.

He slowly opened his bag to keep it again when she suddenly hold onto his wrist making him stop. He looked at her, slightly confused. She took the sandwich from his hand.

“ahh.. Thanks! Actually, I am not hungry, but since you said that eating could make me feel better, I wanna try it.” She gave him a genuine smile then took a big bite on the sandwich. He then felt happy when he finally saw her feeling better, even though he knows it’s really peculiar.

 

“This tastes great! Who made this?” Jinri said then stared at him while chewing her food. She was eating the sandwich and she totally forgot that she was crying moments ago. Before she knew it, she was already feeling better and a smile can be seen again on her face.

He scoffed at what she said, surprised that she liked the food his mother made.

“Hmm.. my mom made it. She is very good at cooking and I guess everything she prepares is delicious.” He chuckled and nodded, trying to convince her with what he said. But when he saw a look of disbelief and he kind of panicked, so he added. “Maybe, because I am her son, that’s why I taste her dishes that way.”

 “Ohh.. I see…. I wanna meet her soon! To be honest, I am also fond of preparing foods, but I admit I am not good at it.” After a few moments, she realized what she said is too careless. She has just given this stranger a reason to see me again. But she didn’t mind, he seemed nice for her and she thinks he can be a good friend so she just shrugged the thought off.

That’s the least he expected to hear from a stranger. She wants to meet my mom? Aigoo.. this girl’s gonna be my friend! My first friend in Seoul, to be exact.

He laughed softly to her honesty and she found herself laughing too.

“You’re silly. You know you can get better if you just practice right?” he told her with a glint of encouragement, and smiled.

“Ne. kamsahamnida.” He glanced at her as she finished her sandwich. He shook his head in her formality. He understands that he is a stranger to her, but considering that he could be her friend makes it sound weird for him.

“aiish. You don’t have to be formal. It’s okay to talk to me casually. By the way, I am Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun. You are?” He offered his hand to her, hoping for a handshake; smile never leaving his face. Maybe, I just need to introduce myself so she would feel comfortable around me.

She chuckled as she was gnawing her food before responding, which he found cute. She looks like a cute puppy. I want to squish her cheek, but no. Stop those thoughts Baekhyun. You are not even friends yet. She just might get pissed off.

“ahh.. yeah. Sorry. I was used to being formal to all the people I do not know. Jinri, Choi Jinri. But my friends call me Sulli.” Jinri took Baekhyun’s hand and shook it. She felt the softness of his palms as she slowly slips my hands into his. Seriously? Is he a guy? Why is his hand so perfect? I envy him for having such kind of hand. It makes me want to hold them forever. ughh.. pabo sulli-yah!

She was still staring at his hands when he interrupted and pulled back his hands. “Nice name. Sulli? Mind me asking why you are named Sulli?” Oh gosh, I hope he did not notice that I was staring at his hands for quite a while. I mentally slapped my face.

“ahh.. Yeah... It’s alright. Wait, do you have water?” He nodded. She slowly swallowed her food while waiting for the water.

“Here.” She took the water from his hand and drank quickly.

“Gomawo. Mm.. My dad named me Sulli because he said I have the most beautiful smile and it is really priceless” She facepalmed, being embarrassed from the truth she told him. “I don’t believe it though. I think it’s just the same with others. But I still took it as my nickname so he wouldn’t feel bad.” she nodded trying to convince him with what she said.

“hm? You’re making it sound ridiculous. But, you know what? I think I agree with your dad.” He chuckled. By then, she knew he was teasing her.

Their conversation went on like this for two more hours. Jinri has learned that he is from the province. He is older than her by 2 years. He is going to live in Seoul and continue his studies here. He asked her to tour him around Seoul if she have time, and as a friendly person as she is, she agreed. She also shared some facts about herself as well, but she did not tell him everything since he’s just a new friend, more like an acquaintance. They kept on talking about common things until her destination came.

“Baekhyun-ssi, mianhaeyo. I think I need to go now.” She said with an apologetic look. She tapped his shoulder, preparing to stand up but he stopped her by holding onto my wrist. He looked at me while grinning. “Let’s go together. I will also be going down here.”

Jinri’s eyes widened with what he said, slightly confused and surprised. “jeongmal?! Yay! That’s great! Kajja!” She pulled him up excitedly, patting his shoulders lightly to fasten his pace. “ppali ppali!!” She chuckled while walking down the bus with him.

-

Baekhyun accompanied Jinri to her house, which was unexpectedly in the same neighborhood as his.  He was glad to know that he could visit her anytime he wanted. It would be easier for him to live in Seoul if he could have someone to guide him in this big city.

“So, I guess we’re neighbors?” Jinri heard Baekhyun chuckle while she was looking down, hiding her smile. She was a bit happy about it- strangely.

“mmyeah.. I guess so..” She laughed with all her heart, completely forgetting all the pain she felt earlier. He felt relieved knowing that he has helped this girl feel better.

“I am so glad we’re neighbors. I am looking forward to seeing you again, Baekhyun-ssi.” She gave him the best smile she could give.

They were standing in front of her house. He was a little surprised with what she told him. Aigoo.. She wants to see me again?! How can I be luckier today? And yes, I am also looking forward to seeing you again Jinri-ssi! Looking down, he smiled like an idiot at his own thought.

“Take care, oppa.” She waved goodbye to him before turning around and get inside her house. Just when she was about to close the front door, Baekhyun suddenly asked.

“Jinri-ah, when will see each other again?” She turned around to answer him. He is really not sure when they will meet again so he thought he should really ask her.

“Maybe, tomorrow? After my classes has ended? Is that alright with you?” She smiled warmly while responding.

“hmm.. Ne. Since, I also have class tomorrow, in my new school. ” He pouted when he stated the word ‘school’ which made her chuckle. He remembered that he will be entering a different school tomorrow and it will be hard for him to socialize with new people. Perhaps, everybody hates school.

Jinri tilted her head to the side. “What school are you going to enter?” He knew she will ask that. He chuckled and thought for a while whether to tell her or not. He is not sure though. His uncle was the one who processed his papers for his new school, so he really has no idea. But he knows it’s a prestigious school,

“Not gonna tell.” He stuck out his tongue, teasing her a bit before changing the topic. “Well, see ya tomorrow then?” He grinned, casually walking away with his travelling bag which was clinging on his shoulder.

-

With the right directions, Baekhyun has finally reached the house that his parents bought for him. He told it was expensive and he can manage staying in dorms but his parents still insisted, leaving him with no choice.

Here he stood in front of a two-storey house made for one person. The walls were beautifully painted with blue and white. The gates are painted as well. There is a mini-garden on the front yard, and then he noticed an ahjumma on her sixties watering them.

“Hello? Hmm.. ahjumma, is this the house stated in the address?” He showed her a small paper where his house’s address is written.

She nodded and pointed at the house without a word. “oh, thank you, also for watering my front yard’s plants.” He bowed in respect before turning to the house again.

-

He threw his bag onto the couch as he opened the front door. He looked for his room upstairs and jump on the bed. He rested there for a few minutes, reminiscing on all the things that happened today.

He frowned when he remembered that he will have to meet new people in his new school tomorrow. He knows he is not a coward. He is just intimidated to meet a whole new set of people which he assumed has a very different personality than his since he is from the province. He sighed. I can do this! Meeting new people is nothing Baek. Just think of creating new friends. He nodded to convince himself.

But that moment with Jinri made him smile. I can’t wait to see her again tomorrow.

-

Jinri went inside the house and walked straight to her room, throwing herself onto her bed before smiling sheepishly to herself. She grabbed on the side table her small notebook, which she considers her diary, and started scribbling something on it.

‘In the middle of my sorrow, a stranger came to me and made me feel better. Oh, how I love his presence. I wish I could have him by my side always so I would always feel this way, even if it sounds absurd. I guess I have found a new friend?’

She smiled while rereading what she wrote. She closed her diary, stared at the ceiling for a few minutes before changing into comfortable clothes.