Chapter 12: Christmas Day

My Love Is Like A Star [DISCONTINUING]

Baekhyun went inside the house after being left by Jinri and Taemin. He brought with him the things Jinri bought during the day.

He sat at the couch while looking around the beautifully decorated house- garlands wrapped around the tree, together with the christmas balls, mistletoes hanging on the ceiling. I wonder if Jinri made all these. It looks wonderful

Mr. Choi had just finished preparing the other dishes for the midnight meal, then he noticed Baekhyun sitting alone at the living room. He smiled and decided to share a conversation with him so Baekhyun wouldn't feel disregarded. He also thought that it could be a another way of knowing Jinri's new friend.

He cleared his throat and sat beside Baekhyun. "So, how was the whole day with my Sulli?" He leaned back and looked at Baekhyun with a smile.

"I know my daughter is still so childish or immature. I hope you'll have a lot of patience whenever you are with her." He chuckled.

"Ah...yes sir. She is so bubbly and fun to be with so I don't really mind her childishness at times." Baekhyun nodded and smiled. He sat straight, still a bit uncomfortable with being around the father of the girl he likes.

"She was so spoiled with the way I treated her. I didn't want her to be sad in any way, especially after when her mother, whom she always rely on, passed away months ago. Since then, I always grant all her requests and desires, just so she would know that it will be alright. Sometimes, her brother, Siwon, would scold me for doing that. He always told me to let her discover things on her own, and let her experience what life really is. So, when she entered senior high school, I told her that I will not be driving for her anymore. I hope she did not misinterpret it. I just wanted to let her be indipendent."

Baekhyun just listened to Mr. Choi's story as he continued. "I think she understands, ahjussi. Even if I haven't known her for long, I know that she's an understanding daughter. She's a frank girl, as i can see it. She will probably tell you if she doesn't want to."

"Hm..You're right. You're Baekhyun, right? How did you and Jinri became friends?" Mr. Choi asked curiously, looking at him.

"Oh..that...err..I first met her on a bus ride . . . . ." Baekhyun told his story about how he became friends with  Jinri.

 

Jinri was sobbing silently by the window side of the bus when Baekhyun who was sitting beside her tapped her shoulder.

“uhmm.. miss? Are you alright?” The guy smiled at her. He has this bright aura that made her feel a little bit better. And she can see a little worry in his eyes that makes her feel weird. 

 

While continuing, Baekhyun remembered  the crazy stuffs they did together. But of course, he did not mention it to Mr. Choi.

 

"Jinri-yah~" Baekhyun slowly tapped her shoulder while she slept on his lap

She shifted a bit and rubbed her eyes sleepily. "Hm? What is it oppa?"

The two of them often times spend their break times together at their secret garden, just behind the school's buildings. Today, they decided to relax under the tree and enjoy the breeze of the wind. It was their University's week long anniversary celebration so there's nothing much to do.

Taemin, on the other hand, was too busy organizing multiple events for the whole week. Jinri is a bit sad about that. But Taemin promised to make it up to her after all his obligations. Being a good friend she is, she agreed and did not bother him for awhile. 

"I am bored." Baekhyun pouted. "Can we do something more than sleeping? We slept almost the whole afternoon." He continued, poking her cheeks playfully.

"Hm? Alright...Let's go to out of the campus and stay at our treehouse instead! Let's eat and play video games! I know a way out here. They wouldn't notice if we leave." Jinri suggested, making Baekhyun surprised.

Baekhyun and Jinri built a treehouse at a abandoned area in their village near their houses. It took them more than half a year to finish it. They did it together, but Baekhyun was the one who did the majority. Whenever they are feeling lazy to go home yet, they would decide to drop by that place.There, they do all the things they thought of doing. All crazy and childish things Jinri could think of such as playing video games and watching scary movies.

"Are you sure? We might get reprimanded after this." He looked at her worriedly, worried for her and for himelf.

Jinri nodded confidently and stood up. She picked up her bag and slang it on her shoulder. She held out her hand to him to help him stand. "So, let's go? Don't worry. I know how to escape quietly. I have done it before." She flashed a smile then winked, telling him to trust her. 

"aigoo~ why would you do that? You...really." He laughed while messing up her hair. He hold her hand and stood up as well. "Lead the way Master Tholli!"

Later on, Baekhyun and Jinri reached the hidden passageway. Jinri went first. She opened the door and passed through the vines that have grown on the wall. When Baekhyun was about to close the door, a student council officer noticed him.

"Hey! Where are you going?!" The student council officer ran towards the door but it couldn't open.

The two was sitting on the ground while holding onto the handle firmly so it would not open.

"Omo! Why did they even reach this area?" She pouted and looked at Baekhyun. "Sorry oppa..It was my idea. Oh! don't worry. If they scold us, I will tell them it was all my fault and I just dragged you along."

"It's fine, Jinri-ah. It's fun actually!" He said, trying to cheer her up. "Do you think we should run now? You know? They might find a way to open this door sooner or later?" He laughed and stood up.

"Let's hurry!" She stood up as well and dragged Baekhyun with her, oblivious that they were holding hands as they run.

 

Baekhyun also remembered his silly conversations with Jinri during classes. But he thought he should not tell it to Mr. Choi either.

 

"So, class....That was what explained that principle or theory." Mr. Ahn is continuously discussing about the different principles about Physics but Jinri and Baekhyun, who were seated at the back row, are not paying attention to his lessons. Instead, they were laughing at something.

"omg!" Jinri whispered and wrote back something on the paper Baekhyun passed to her.

Yes yes! He looks like a squirrel with big two front teeth...and a chipmunk because of his small voice! It doesn't really fit his physique, tbh. xD

He then laughed silently with his face hidden behind his Physics book. He replied back on the letter while giggling.

Yeah! You are totally right! If only there would be a student's day, I could blurt out all the criticisms I have for him. Haha

Their conversation went on like that, until their teacher notices them.

"Hey! Mr. Byun and Ms. Choi, What are you doing there that it seems like you two are not listening? Bring out your desks with you and study the lesson outside! now! "

"S-sir..B-but..we are just discussing about the lesson you are teaching." Baekhyun answered and stood up.

"You were disussing about how the laws and principles in Physics are applied in real life, right?" He picked up his book and started discussing the topics mentioned by the teacher, as well as those which are still to be taught for the next week.

Everyone looked at him in awe, and even Jinri was amazed. All eyes were on him and he just continued explaining until Mr. Ahn cut him off.

". . . . so if you use a rubber and you pull it away from each other, the strength used until before the rubber completely breaks is called the tensile strength. It also-"

"Alright. That's enough. Next time, I want everyone to keep quiet in the class, understand? Mr. Byun, great job. I will let it pass this time." Mr. Ahn spoke in an authoritative and arrogant manner.

"Thank you sir." Baekhyun bowed slightly and sat back on his seat.

Suddenly, the whole class snapped out of their daze and cheered for him. Even if they were already told to stop, they didn't care to listen. They just wanted to consume the time left for the class because Mr. Ahn's way of teaching bores them too much. Even the smartest students in the class gets bored.

Jinri nudged him playfully. "How could you know about those things? You're such a smartass! Omg! Teach me about the topics in this boring subject, okay?" She smiled and held her thumbs up. "I will treat you for snacks if you would also want."

Baekhyun looked at her for a few seconds then laughed. "Are you serious? Great! Seems like I need a treat after this class! And....Little Jinri, don't worry, the almighty Baek will teach you." He continued. The two laughed together and went out of the classroom to eat when breaktime started.

 

Sometimes, Baekhyun  would notice Jinri being quiet. It would be very unusual if she's like that when normally she never stops talking.

"There will be times when I will notice her sad. And as a good friend, I would help Jinri cheer up." He smiled and nodded.

Mr. Choi also smiled, relieved that his daughter will have someone to comfort her when he is not around as a father.

 

Jinri was sitting on her desk inside the classroom, looking outside of the window as if thinking of something very deep. Baekhyun sat on his chair and noticed her silence.

"Jinri-ah..are you alright? You are so quiet." Baekhyun sipped on his juice and faced Jinri. "Is there something wrong? I might be able to help."

She turned to look at Baekhyun and smiled a bit. "Ah..it's nothing oppa. I am just sad. Today's the birthday of my mom. I just miss her. "  Her voice cracked at her last sentence. Tears started streaming on her cheek as soon as she faced down.

Baekhyun felt the sadness in her tone. He then stood up and went over to her.  He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and caressed them as he speak.

"Aigoo... Jinri-ah, don't be so sad. I am sure your mom loves you. And even if she's gone already, I know she always look over at you. Watching every move you make. Remember, it is not everyone's will to lose someone very important in their lives. Even your mom probably did not want to leave you. But always think that there are still people who will fill up the space your mom left when she died. I'm here for you, as your bestfriend, even as your brother. Your appa and older brother is still there."

He tilted up Jinri's face and smiled warmly at her then wiped the tears that are continuously flowing on her cheeks. He hugged her and let her cry on his shoulder for a long while, until her sadness and longing have subsided.

Jinri looked at him and smiled softly. "Gomawo Baekhyun oppa. Thank you for making me feel better."

 

It took Baekhyun awhile before he finished his story about his friendship with Jinri. "And until now, we still treat each other the same way. I don't really mind her childishness, for I know one day she'll learn how to act like a matured person."

"You're right, Baekhyun-ssi.. I am glad that my daughter met a good friend like you. Aside from Taemin, who had been her friend since she was young. "
"Ah..yes sir. I also heard that from Jinri." Baekhyun smiled a bit, slightly envious of Taemin for knowing Jinri better than he does.
 

Meanwhile, Jinri has already prepared some rice cakes and other recipes for the midnight meal. Taemin insisted to help her, even though he was told by her that it's fine.

"Sulli-yah~ Look at me!" Taemin showed Jinri his teeth with sliced carrots, which made him look like a vampire. Jinri can't help but laugh.

"Silly oppa~ Ppalli ppalli! We only have an hour left before the midnight meal." She patted his shoulder and shifted back her focus onto the Bossam dish she is preparing.

"Aigoo..Don't rush. That's still too long. You can finish that on time. Want me to help you then?" He suggested as he placed the grilled pork dishes he had already finished cooking.

"It's fine oppa! I am nearly finished anyway." Jinri flashed him a bright smile. She then transferred the cooked dishes in a larger plate.

 

The midnight came fast without anyone even noticing it. Everyone shared a healthy and delicious meal prepared by themselves. Taemin sat beside Jinri at the dining table, still trying to get her attention away from Baekhyun. But Jinri was unaware of that. On the other hand, Baekhyun was just enjoying the meal while smiling contentedly. Mr. Choi kept on sharing stories about life to the younger ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N] I was planning to post this during the weekend...but i was too busy with school. sorry for the delay. T^T