Chapter 14: Longing

My Love Is Like A Star [DISCONTINUING]

Chapter 14: Longing

Baekhyun arrived in France after hours of travel. As soon as he stepped out of the airport, he snatched his phone from his coat’s pocket but his mother took it from him.

“No gadgets until we settle everything here, alright? Help me and your father in this. Hm?” His mother smiled and patted his head. He just sighed in defeat.

Throughout the ride to their temporary home, he kept thinking of Jinri. He’s worried that she might think that he forgot about her already. Instead of feeling grumpy of the situation, he thought of many things Jinri might be doing at that hour.

Without him knowing, he and his family arrived at their hotel which is just few minutes away from the airport. It looked like an old century hotel from the outside but it is surprisingly modern inside. The Byun family checked in on their suite and got their keys.

They stayed at a 2 bedroom suite- one for his parents and one for him. It’s quite classy but he did not pay attention to the design. Instead, went straight to his room and rested.

“Appa, Eomma…I’ll go first.”

Due to exhaustion and time difference, Baekhyun immediately drifted off to sleep; completely forgetting about sending Jinri a message thru SNS.

 

Days passed and all Baekhyun did was look for a nice school he can study at during his stay in France. Each day, he will visit a University to check their facilities and take an entrance exam. It wasn’t hard for him because he has always been a witty student, though it’s not obvious on his looks. He would not only work on his school requirements, but he would also run some errands his parents tell him to do, such as doing paper works for his father, sending his father a meal his mother made, etc. Indeed, he is a very obedient son to his parents.

Almost a month had already passed. He is not that busy anymore, compared with the first weeks he stayed there. Today, he was just waiting for the results of the exams he took in all the Universities he had visited.

Just then he remembered to check his SNS account since he has nothing to do for the day. His parents left to check their new house the company his father is working at offered.

He smiled the moment he checked his inbox. He then checked Jinri’s message and his smile turned to an idiot grin when he read her message.

I miss you already oppa. My namja chingu. Hope you’re alright. Jinri tries to be happy even when you’re not here to cheer me up. I love you. Neomu saranghaeyo~

“Aigoo Jinri-ah..You’re so cute.” He chuckled and started typing his reply.

Aww..sorry replying so late Jinri-ah. I just had so many things to finish. I am kind of exhausted. I wish you are here to make me feel better. I miss you too, even more than you do. I’ll call you once you are at home already. I remember you go home right after school. I want to hear you speak, I miss your voice. I love you Jinri-ah. My girlfriend.

He clicked send and waited for Jinri’s reply. He looked at his phone to check the time then frowned. It read, ‘8:36am’

“I guess she’s not home yet.” He lied down on his bed and looked up at the ceiling for some time before deciding to go out and buy stuffs for Jinri. 

 

Jinri went to the library during her break time to research on some topics for her project. She sat on in front of one of the computers and started doing her work. Indeed, she’s slowly coming back to her old self. She no longer wanted to be alone and she tried to engage in conversations like the usual. Probably because Taemin was there to help her. In the midst of surfing through the internet, she remembered to check her SNS account.

She felt a sudden spark of happiness when she read Baekhyun’s message. Unintentionally, she squealed like a little girl inside the library then buried her face on the computer table as she tried to suppress her emotions. “waahh~ omgomgomgomg!!”

Suddenly, one of the librarians on her forties approached her and tapped her shoulder.  “hm..excuse me? This is a library. Please observe silence. ”

Omo! I am so embarrassing. ><

Jinri bowed apologetically and took a deep breath before replying to Baekhyun’s message.

Oppa! Omg. It’s alright. I’ve been busy as well so I won’t able to reply right away. Anyways, I will expect a call from you later on when I am home already. I love you oppa!

Contented with the message you wrote, you hit the ‘send’ button on the screen.

She gathered her things as soon as she was finished with her research. She then headed towards the exit when suddenly someone tapped her shoulder. Surprised with the unexpected touch, she held her breath before turning around just to see Taemin smiling at her. “Sulli-ah.”

He had his bag slung on his shoulder and a thick folder held by his other arm, which she assumed are papers for the school government.

“Omo! Never surprise me like that.” She pouted and patted her chest in relief. “I thought you were the librarian, trying to scold me again for doing something wrong inside the library.”

 “Hm? Why? What happened earlier?” He chuckled slyly and wrapped an arm around her as they walk out of the library.

“Ah..it’s nothing! The librarian probably just got bored and wanted to scold innocent students.” She laughed.

“Alright.” He ruffled her hair and smiled. “Want to go out for some bubble tea?”

She nodded vigorously and clang to him. “Kajja!”

 

The two spent hours of talking random topics with each other but it had never been awkward or bored when you’re with Jinri because of her talkativeness. And so, the conversation went on and on. They only went home when Taemin told her so, for he saw the nightfall almost sheathed the skies.

He insisted to walk her home though she refused to. They stepped infront of Choi’s residence and she thanked him before going inside. But Taemin caught her wrist to stop her.

“Sulli-ah, is it alright if I bring you out tomorrow?”

She turned to face him then smiled brightly as usual.

“Sure! I’d love to. I don’t have anything to do anyway.” She nodded. “I better get going oppa. You should go home too. It’s getting late. Good night! Thanks for the treat!”

He watched as she closed the house’s front door. He smiled to himself and turned his heels to the direction of his house.

Aigoo..Sulli-ah, I’ll try my best to make you happy. I won’t let anything make you sad; even that Baekhyun guy won’t make you feel bad.

His tongue tasted bitterly when he thought of the guy who always steals away Jinri’s attention from him, the guy who tried to pull his first love from him. With a light heart, he went home hopeful that all his efforts will not be put to waste.

 

Jinri went inside her room after taking her dinner and other usual routine she does at night. She took out her things right away and started doing her school papers. When she opened her laptop’s browser, she instantly remembered to check her phone and waited for Baekhyun’s call. She sighed once she saw any missed calls.

I hope you’ll call. I miss you.

Setting aside her disappointment, she focused on the things she needed to do.

Hours passed which seemed like just minutes for Jinri. She is actually a diligent student. She always tries her best though she doesn’t top in the class. Stretching her limbs while yawning, sleep came to her earlier than she expected.

She shut her eyes closed after packing her things. Her phone vibrated just when she was in the middle of falling into a deep sleep. She groaned and answered lazily.

“Hmm.. Yoboseyo?”

The person from the other line chuckled and told her impishly. “Aigoo..why sound so lazily? I thought you missed me?”

Her eyes suddenly went wide when she recognized the voice then sat up. “Omo! Baekhyun oppa!”

“Hey~ How was your day lazy yeoja?” Baekhyun smiled and rested his back on the headboard of his bed. He just woke up but decided to call Jinri immediately.

“Yah! I am not lazy” She yawned a bit and laid back down on her bed. She kept her voice low, taking note that her father might be already asleep. “I actually did a lot of school paper works just awhile ago. Don’t you pity me?”

“Poor Jinri. Want me to help you?” He offered unhesitantly. “I have nothing to do the next few days. I am just waiting for my exam results from the Universities I went to last time. Just tell me anything I can help with you, eh?”

“Eo~ Alrightey!! Thank you so much!! You’re such an angel!” She said brightly albeit a still sleepy.

“Aww.. You don’t have to tell me that just so I can help you.” He stood up from his bed and walked to the bathroom with his phone pressed on his ear by his shoulder.

He noticed that she’s not talking anymore so he decided to ask. “Are you still there sleepyhead?”

He just heard her hum and he smiled.

“Good night my love. Sleep well. Don’t stress yourself out.” He told her softly.

She smiled inwardly and muttered on her phone. “Eo, good morning for you there, oppa…I love you..”

“I love you too..” With that Jinri hung up for she can’t stand the drowsiness anymore.

 

The next day, Taemin went early to Jinri’s house for their day out. Jinri woke up slothfully, just like the normal her. She was surprised when she saw Taemin seated on the couch. She instantly ran back to her room and fixed herself. Even though she’s not so into him anymore, she still wants to look nice in front of him since he’s still her best friend. Not mentioning that he was her first love.

She went out of her room after combing her hair and washing her face. She skipped to him gleefully with bread on .

“Why so early oppa? Did you have you breakfast already?” She asked while chewing on her bread.

He nodded and smiled. “I ate at a nearby café shop. Faster! We should leave early so I can show you to a lot of places.”

“Aigoo..vacation is even done, yet you’re asking me out as if we have no school works to do.” She clicked her tongue and looked at him in disbelief.

“Aiish! Stop complaining, alright? I just want you to relieve from stress.” He messed up her hair, and she blew them out of her face like she doesn’t care.  He chuckled. “Don’t worry. If you need help, just call me and I’ll help you. I know you are a diligent student. You can do it without anyone’s help.”

“Aww.. so thoughtful.” She said, a little impishly. She hugged him and smiled.

 

It took Jinri awhile before she got herself prepared. Taemin stood by the gate, leaning on the wall with his bicycle. He raised his head to look at Jinri who was wearing a simple shirt and skirt with her hair loose.

He smiled. “Let’s go?”

She nodded and skipped to him like a happy bunny. She hopped onto his bike and held on his shoulders firmly.

He took a small glance at her before pedaling his bike to their destination. He sped up and went into the main road, making her tighten her grip by wrapping her arms around his waist. He smirked and continued biking.

They arrived at an unpopulous street at the park, next to a small river. Taemin halted then let her hop off the bicycle carefully. He led her to a bench and sat with her.

“I always pass by here whenever I want to have some peaceful moment with myself.” He told her mindlessly.

“Hm..It’s a nice place actually. How’d you find this place?” She asked, her eyes focused at the flowing river.

“Well, it’s not a really nice story. It was when I was in the first year of my University life. Someone brought me here and confessed her feelings to me.” He smiled at the memory. “I don’t have any feelings for her so I rejected her right away.”

He then heard her clicked her tongue. “Nappeun neo. She should really felt bad after that.” She looked at him in disbelief. “Haven’t you thought of giving her a chance?”

“Nope. Never thought of anything like that.” He sighed. “But I guess she’s fine already?”

“Aigoo.. You guys really don’t know how girls feel.” She pouted.

Taemin suddenly felt a tug on his heart when he heard what she said. He frowned. “Right. But, I don’t think girls know how guys feel to be honest. This is why sometimes couples fight. Due to their differences.” She looked at him and he saw sadness in his eyes. “Sulli-ah, do you want to know how I feel?”

He took her hand and placed it on his chest. She blinked for a few times, looking at his face and on her hand on his chest. She felt a sudden rush in her veins and her cheeks heating up. Undeniably, her feelings still haven’t vanished after a very long time, though she admits that it was only infatuation. “O-oppa…”

He touched her face and softly caressed it as he smile at her. “Jinri-ah…I’ve been thinking about this for quite awhile. I want to let you to know that….”

She held her breath, waiting for him to say what he’s going to say. Suddenly, she saw him smirk before leaning down to her ear. “..you’ll be hosting the graduation ball this year.”

Annoyed with what he did, she hit him repeatedly. “Yah!! I hate you! I thought you have something serious to say.” She groaned and stood up from her seat then just in time, her phone rang, making Taemin stop from pulling her back.

He heaved a sigh and gazed at her as she walk away from him. Forgive me Jinri-ah.. I don’t think I am ready to tell you how I feel. I love you…You’ll know about it soon enough.

 

She answered the call when she’s more than a meter away from Taemin. She smiled brightly when she saw the caller…..‘Baekhyun oppa’

She pressed the ‘answer’ button and said. “Oh..Oppa!”

She heard him smile from the other line. “Hey! You’re up so early! What’s up?” He said gladly.

“Uhh.. I am with Taemin oppa. He asked me to go out for today.”

“I see.. Have fun then! Were you able to finish what you were doing last time? Did you get enough sleep?” He asked, completely ignoring the fact that his girl is with another man, ‘cause he knows Taemin is just her best friend; oblivious that the other has feelings for Jinri as well.

She chuckled before nodding. “uhm~ I finished everything. And I had a very very good sleep!”

 

The two continued talking, not knowing that there’s a pair of ears listening to their conversation. Taemin kept quiet, unintentionally eavesdropping to Jinri’s talk on the phone even though he tried to focus on something else like playing games on his phone. It just doesn’t work because of the quietness of the place; he could only hear Jinri talking.

Then he heard her…. “Ne, Saranghae oppa. Good night! Take care, my namja chingu~” She giggled and turned off the call with a big grin evident on her face, which he noticed.

Hehad his eyes widened, still couldn’t process the information he heard.

He looked at Jinri  who sat back beside him and decided to ask. “W-who was that you were talking with?”

“Hm?” She looked at him innocently and glanced at her phone before keeping it in her bag. “Oh..It was Baekhyun oppa.”

His face fell and he felt as if he was poured by very cold water. Right then and there, he heard his heart break. Although he’s feeling bad about it, he tried to muster a smile. Was I too slow? Was I not quick enough to let her know how I feel? Ugh! I !

He hummed. “Uhh..want me to bring you home?”

She turned to him with a confused look on his face. “Oh..but I thought we have so many places to go to?”

He shook his head slowly, pressing his lips together as he force himself to maintain a smile. “I find out that the places I thought of bringing you are closed today. Maybe we could go next time?”

She just nodded and went home with him without any doubt. Jinri can be very ignorant sometimes.

While on the ride home, she asked. “Oppa, about the girl you told me awhile ago…Want me to help you with her? I-I mean, maybe you should apologize to what you did to her before?”

He shook his head and smiled bitterly. “It’s fine, Sulli-ah..I don’t want her to have hopes just by asking her forgiveness for rejecting her. I don’t want to hurt her more, much as I don’t want to waste your efforts.” Just then, he remembered that Jinri is one kindhearted cupid. He sighed again. You’re the one I want. Not anyone else. Stop pushing me to anyone Sulli-ah..

 

Days passed that Taemin tried to keep himself busy. Jinri noticed that he’s  a bit distant to her the past few days. Sometimes he would look away from her when they see each other at school. He would also turn of his phone whenever she calls. She knows there’s something off but she decided not to investigate further. He must be really busy.

She decided to study for her lessons so she went to the rooftop of one of the school’s buildings. It’s one of the places Jinri thought is good to study at. It didn’t take her awhile to reach the place. Just when she was about to open the door of the rooftop, she heard giggles from a few people, which are actually moans from a couple.

She slowly opened the door, and was surprised by a familiar couple who first broke her heart. Kai and Krystal

Curious as she is, she opened the door a little more, finally seeing what the two were doing.

Krystal was sitting on Kai’s lap while holding onto his shoulders as she grind her hips with his. The two kept like there’s no one around them. He then caressed her legs to her inner thighs, revealing the thing that’s happening under her skirt.

Jinri closed the door quietly and backed away and felt the recognizable pain she experienced before. She clutch on her chest and sighed heavily. However, there are some things she realized after and she told herself.

Sulli-ah..You don’t have to feel bad anymore. Because of them, you cried. Because of them, you met the guy who claimed to take very good care of your heart. There’s nothing to feel bad anymore. Besides, Krystal was still your best friend. You have to be happy for her and the guy you once have given attention. They’re already happy. Just be thankful for everything.

 

Jinri arrived home at her usual time. She walked straight to her room and stared at the ceiling for long while she try to take in everything that’s happened.

I miss Baek oppa….

It’s been almost a week since he last called. She knew that it’s his first week in his new University but she can’t help but long for him. Then she remembered how distant Taemin is right now.….

I wonder how Taemin oppa is already..I hope he’s not mad at me. I hope I can ask him what happened so I could help him.  

She then raised her phone and stared at the keychain Taemin gave her when they were younger. She smiled as she reminisce one of their childhood moments.

 

On the other hand, Taemin was left at school though it’s already 9 o’clock in the evening. He tries to finish all his works as the school’s student government president; although all that he’s doing is not urgently needed to be finished. He thought that he should focus more on his responsibilities as a student and as a student government president. Not mentioning that he wanted to get over the hurt he’s feeling after what he has found out. Even though he’s been avoiding his best friend, Jinri, he knows that deep inside him, he misses her.

Sorry Sulli-ah…Just let me get over this.

 

Baekhyun was still stuck with school though. He’s trying to adjust to his new environment. His family also transferred to their permanent home so he wasn’t able to steal even a small time to talk to Jinri. Even if he has time to call, he’ll realize that she might be asleep so he just shrugged and left her a message thru SNS. As soon as he entered the school, he saw a very hyper girl who’s campaigning for the upcoming student body elections. That certain girl made him miss his girlfriend.

I’ll call you soon enough Jinri-ah..I miss you so much.

-----

 

Omf- now that I realized…I am a very lame author ;; I can’t express my feels so much. I should read more stories and improve my way of writing stories, esp non-dramatic stories like this OTL please excuse slight at some points xD Don't worry if i don't update the story immediately...I am typing the chapters offline. OMG sorry my dear subbies for being so slow. //3 author-nim loves each and every one of you. ^^