Chapter 15: Confession and Confusion

My Love Is Like A Star [DISCONTINUING]

Chapter 15: Confession and Confusion

 

 

Taemin went inside his house with an unusual weariness on his face. He had been overworking himself out and his co-officers in the student government noticed it. Almost a week had passed but he still refused to have any communication with Jinri. Every time she would try to talk to him, he would make an excuse that he needs to do something else or he’s in a hurry. He is not really mad at her but he has a reason why he is trying to do that.

He went inside his room and laid down on his bed in exhaustion. As he stared at the ceiling, his heart started to thump again for he has thought of her once again. Jinri

He shook his head while he groaned in frustration. Never in the past week that he forgot about her, though had he attempted to push her out of his mind. Sometimes, he would think that he might be crazy. But he knew it was just his crazy love for her. He rolled out of the bed and prepared his dinner.

Sitting by the dining area, he smiled while eating his bowl of ramyun. For a few seconds, he only looked at his bowl mindlessly. Then all of a sudden, Jinri’s smiling face popped out from his bowl of ramyun, making him gasp and push back his chair. “What the-” He sighed and planted his face on his palm. “Am I really going crazy? Aish!”

He went back to his bedroom when he has finished all his nightly routine. He stared on his phone and hesitated to call Jinri. “Should I call her now? ..or not?”

He kept tossing and turning on his bed until he has thought of the best thing to do. He smiled and decided to doze off. Jinri-ah, I’ll make sure to see you tomorrow.

 

The next day, Taemin went to school with a hopeful heart. Today, he will do something he has never done in his life. He gathered all his courage before deciding on this matter. As soon as he stepped in the school, he went to Jinri’s room straight away. Being her best friend is an advantage for him for he knows her schedule, likes and dislikes, he even know when she laughs or when she gets mad. He even predicted her reaction for what he will do later on.

He barged in their classroom, ignoring all the indifferent stares thrown at him. Good thing the professor wasn’t still there. He grabbed Jinri by her wrist and pulled her out of the room, astonishment can be seen on her face. He continued to drag her until they reached an almost secluded place within the school campus. He brought her in the school garden which was always empty during the day.

Jinri pulled her hand from him and hissed, gently caressing her wrist. “Yah! Oppa! Why did you drag me here?!”

For a moment she was so annoyed with him because of what he did.  But after realizing how much she missed him after a week of being ignored, she felt so happy.

“Omg! Oppa, I missed you!” she hugged him tightly, his back facing her.

Taemin’s eyes went wide and held his breath for awhile. He smiled upon knowing how much he longed for her touch. Within a split second, he turned and cupped her cheeks before leaning down to face her. He tilted his head and kissed deeply her plump lips. He did not need any words to tell her how he feels for her.

Jinri, on the other hand, was surprised with what he did. D-did my first love just kiss me??

When she did not push him away, he took it as a chance to kiss her more. He nibbled on her lower lip as he gave her a kiss he did only to her. It was actually his first kiss.

She closed her eyes and just enjoyed the moment; her mind seemed to be so hazy. Even if her gut tells her to push him away, she couldn’t. Instead, she responded to the sweet caress his lips were giving her. Taemin was just good kisser and she never knew it until that time. Besides, to kiss her first love seemed like a dream come true to her.

 

Taemin left her lips with a sweet peck and smiled. He looked at her with his forehead leaning on her and noticed her flushed face.

He chuckled. “Aigoo.. What’s with those pink cheeks?”

Jinri gasped in shock and covered her cheeks with her hair before turning away from him. “Ah..I-it’s nothing.” She sighed. “O-oppa..why did you kiss me?”

He smirked and enveloped her with his arms, resting his chin on her shoulder. Once again, she felt butterflies in her stomach. Indeed, first love never dies.

“The kiss? It was just my way of expressing my feelings for you.” It seemed like her world stopped for a short period of time and she couldn’t explain how she felt. Guilt? Regret? She doesn’t know.

“What do you mean Taemin oppa?” She turned around to face him, her face full of curiosity. She can’t just assume that I understood what he meant so she asked.

“You’re so naïve, Jinri-ah. ” He messed up her hair before taking her hand. “Sulli, I think I love you. Ah.. wait. I really do love you.” He pecked her knuckles and smiled.

It took awhile before she replied. “Oppa…” She bit her lip and focused her gaze on the ground. So what I thought was right. Omo! What should I do? My first love confessed to me. But Baekhyun… I don’t want to lose him. Ugh! I really sound so selfish now. She sighed for the nth time “I already have a boyfriend, Taemin oppa… I’m with Baekhyun now.” Her voice trailed off, losing her courage to speak any more.

Instead of walking away, she heard him chuckle then she felt a familiar warmth hugged her. He patted her head oh so gently and nodded. “I know Jinri-ah..I know about it.”

“What? H-how? Since when?” She asked all at once, surprised with what he said.

“You don’t have to know the details.” He chuckled, albeit bitterly. “Don’t worry. I don’t expect anything, Sulli. I just wanted you to know how I feel.” He sighed in relief. He poked her cheek playfully. “Now that you know. I feel so relieved. Sulli-ah, let’s stay best friends even after this alright? I couldn’t afford to lose you. Even just as a best friend, I’ll be there for you.” He smiled sadly and caressed her cheek gently. “I hope all the luck to your relationship with Baekhyun. Don’t hesitate to call me once he hurts you, alright? I’ll take up his place in your heart if that happens.”

A sudden burst of laughter came from the two of them. Their laughter weren’t forced, it was blissful. No pressure, no awkwardness. Just natural between friends. Although the male honestly wanted something more than just being best friends.

“Yah! Oppa..” She nudged him when her laughter ended. “Thank you…” she smiled and continued. “..for always being there for me. Just stay by my side and be my angel.”

“I’ll always be your angel Sulli-ah..”

Those words that made her felt secured and warm. It only made her more confused, but she held onto her promise to her boyfriend. She’ll stay loyal to him. Not a single confession can break them. On the other hand, he thought of keeping his hopes up. He thought, boyfriend-girlfriend relationship isn’t for forever. He still has the chance to have her in his life….even more than as a girlfriend.

They stared at each other for quite awhile with different thoughts running through their minds. They still had not realized the time they have spent already while the classes went on.

 

Someone passed by the corridor and noticed the two at the garden. He groaned and whispered to himself as he shook his head in disappointment. “Aigoo.. These young students really.”

“Hey! You two! What are doing there at this hour?” He shouted at Taemin and Jinri with an authoritative voice.

The shout pulled the two back to reality. They broke the little staring contest before chuckling. Their eyes widened when they saw the annoyed face of the guy who called them. Apparently, it was one of the discipline officers roaming around the campus during class hours.

“O-omg. Let’s go oppa…” Jinri stuttered, pulling Taemin with her as she jog out of the area.

 

Jinri went back to her class fifteen minutes before it was dismissed. She sighed when she become conscious of the lessons she missed. She laughed softly to herself when she suddenly remembered something. If Baekhyun oppa were here, he would probably laugh at me and tell me.. ‘kkaepsong~’

She shook her head at the thought with a smile on her face then marched out of the room, heading to her next class.

The whole day was spent light-heartedly. She doesn’t have to worry about her best friend acting strangely anymore. For her, everything’s perfectly fine now. So when the classes are all done, she asked Taemin to go home with her just like the usual. Of course she made sure that she isn’t bothering him in any way.

 

“Oppa, how was your day?” Jinri asked out of the blue. They are seated at the bus, already on their way home. Taemin promised before to always bring her home first before he goes home.

“Hm? It was nice. Not too stressful. I have less works to do for the student government since I already finished more than a half of it the last week.” Taemin said, heaving a relieved sigh.

“Waah! That’s great then!” She said cheerfully, beaming happily with her thumbs up.

“Yeah..It is.” He nodded in agreement. “How about you? How was your day?”

“It was good, I guess? I almost skipped my first class unintentionally.” She pouted.

“Aigoo..Was it my fault? Sorry. Really sorry.” He took her hand and caressed it with his thumb. “Let me help you with what you missed then. You want?”

“Aww.. It’s alright oppa. I can cope with the lessons I think? But if you have time, is it okay for you to teach me?” she asked him with a glint of hope in her voice.

“Yeah.. I always have time for you. So, when do you want?” He looked at her and pinched her cheeks playfully.

“How about tomorrow after all my classes ended?” She puffed out her cheek and tried to appear as persuasive as possible. Although, she always knew that he would help her.

“Alright then. I’ll teach you tomorrow at your house.”He chuckled when he noticed her aegyo.

“Yayy!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!” She hugged him happily and giggled. “You’re such a very nice best friend to me!!”

The last sentence actually pained him. Sulli-ah..I want to be more than your best friend. If only I told you my feelings earlier. Afraid of ruining the moment, he pushed the sad feeling away. He never wanted her smile disappear from her face.

 

Not an hour had passed before they reached Jinri’s house. She waved goodbye to him like the usual. And she watched him as he left and went straight to his house.

Her eyes went wide as soon as she realized something. She dashed into her room to check her SNS account for any messages from Baekhyun. She smiled when she saw one status update of him and she noticed that she was tagged.

She placed her laptop on her lap and laid back on the headboard of her bed, giggling like a little girl.

“Omo! Cute oppa~” She was looking at a picture Baekhyun took when he went to the Eiffel Tower. He had his bright smile while doing a ‘peace’ sign with both of his hands. He was standing in front of the famous landmark with only himself. In the picture, there was a message attached and she guessed that it was for her.

“My cute girl, I will bring you here soon enough. Just wait, alright? I love you.”

She blushed so much without her knowing. For a second she was seated on her bed, now she was rolling around her bed; just like how a fan girl would spazz over her favorite idol. It may seem weird but she can’t help it. Every word of love from makes the butterflies in her stomach flutter.

“OMG!!!” She screamed on her pillow and sat up again when she already calmed herself down and was ready to type down her reply or comment on his picture.

“Yayy! Thank ya! I would want to spend a vacation with you there. I love you too! Take care of yourself always.”

She smiled just by the thought of going on a vacation with him. She thought that it would be nice, but she knew that her father is still unaware of her relationship with Baekhyun. She heaved a sigh, thinking of plans on how she would tell her father about her relationship with Baekhyun.

Just when she was about to change into her home clothes, her phone rang. She snatched her phone from her school bag and checked the name of the caller.

‘Taemin Oppa’

She stuck out her lower lip and sat on her bed; a bit upset for not being able to talk to the person she’s been waiting to call. Of course she wouldn’t dare calling him. She thought that it’s not nice for a girl to call a guy, so she always waited for him.

She looked back at the phone’s screen and answered the call a little half-heartedly.

“Yoboseyo?” her voice sounded a bit bored.

She was changing from her uniform when she heard Taemin chortle from the other line. “Hey, why sound so bored? Or…perhaps, are you annoyed because I called?”

“Ahh..nope. I was just a bit sleepy.” She lied. “Hm, why did you call oppa?”

“Alright then. Ah, I called because I want to ask if you have something to do this weekend. I was thinking maybe we could go to the places I promised to bring you before. Is it alright?” she heard murmurs from the other line. She assumed that those were only people talking from the television. It’s good that he’s already home.

She smiled and nodded, though cannot be seen by him. “Oh…sure! Where should we meet then?”

“I’ll just come to your house and we’ll go together similar with last time.” He suggested. Like what Jinri thought, he has already reached home and was having his afternoon snack in his living room.

“Alright then. See you tomorrow!” She replied cheerfully, unaware that she wasn’t upset anymore.

She hung up and threw herself back to her bed with her eyes staring into nothingness. Baekhyun oppa..Will you still call today?

She held up her phone once again, waiting for her boyfriend to call.  She went out of her room to prepare dinner for her and her father, leaving her phone on her bed without her noticing.

 

Baekhyun had only woken up from his sleep. It was yet another day of pressure for him. It’s been more than a week since he first entered his new university. He had been having a hard time socializing with totally different people, especially with their differences in language and culture. While still adjusting on his new environment, he tries to study hard for his parents; and now, also for Jinri. She has been one of the persons who are giving him inspiration. Every morning when he wakes up, he would call her not only to make sure she’s alright, but also because her voice alone gives him courage for a tough day ahead.

He sat up from his bed and reached for his phone that was placed on the side table. Still rubbing his sleepy eyes, he pressed ‘1’ on his speed dials and called Jinri. However, the first time he tried, he was told that the line was busy. Aigoo.. Who might she be talking with?

He frowned when on his third try it was still the same. He placed down his phone with a heavy heart and started preparing for school.

After almost an hour, he picked up his phone again for an attempt to call her again. He continuously tried contacting her but she would not pick up. He groaned, not in annoyance, but of worry. He was afraid that something bad happened to her already.

“Jinri-ah..Pick up please?” He muttered under his breath. He was already walking to his university, worry still growing inside him. If she would not pick up the phone, he would not be able to focus on his lessons.

 

Meanwhile, Jinri had just finished taking her dinner and doing her nightly routine. She went straight to her room and checked her phone right away. She was surprised to see twenty-three missed calls all from her boyfriend. She constantly whispered words of apology to him, even if he won’t be able to hear it.

Not a minute passed before the next call came. She pressed on the ‘answer’ button and answered right away.

“Omg! Sorry oppa. I’m sorry.. I’m sorry.. I’m sorry.. I’m sorry..” She panicked, not really knowing what to say.

Baekhyun sighed in relief and laughed softly. “Aigoo..It’s alright Jinri-ah..I was so worried when you did not answer.”

“Aww..You were worried of me? Thank ya!” She giggled, resting on her bed with a blanket around her.

“You don’t have to thank me. Pabo! It’s natural for me to get worried for my girlfriend. Aish!” He sighed in slight annoyance.

He had just gone out of the condominium building his parents bought for him and now he was on his way to school. He was only using his bicycle since it’s only few blocks away from the place where he stay. He put on his earphones and continued speaking with her.

She blushed when he heard him. By the tone of his voice, she knew that he’s annoyed so she thought of apologizing once again. “Oh..sorry. I won’t leave my phone anymore. I don’t want you to feel that way anymore. Please don’t be mad anymore, eh?”

His annoyance faded and he chuckled. “Hey, I’m not mad. It’s alright. I know you aren’t the type of person who would ignore someone intentionally.”

She doesn’t exactly know what to respond. She smiled widely,a little surprised that he knows that side of her that she herself doesn’t know.

The conversation stopped so she tried to think up a topic. She was about to speak when he said. “So…how was your day?”

“Uhm..It was nice?” She gulped, not really sure if she should tell her about the confession Taemin did that morning. 

He cocked an eyebrow. “Hm? Really? Why does it sound untrue? Come on. Tell me, alright? We used to be best friends anyway.”

She sighed in defeat and nodded. “Alright. Sorry oppa. I was only afraid on how you would react to what I will say.” Taking in a deep breath, she said the next words a bit nervously. “Taemin oppa went to my class room this morning. He pulled me out and brought me in the school’s garden. Remember the place we used to go when we want to study in a quiet place?”

“Yeah. So what happened there?” he asked, wanting her to continue.

“When we reached the place..h-he…”

“..He what?” He asked eager to know what happened.

“H-he kissed me.” She bit her lip and hid her face on her pillow, as if he was there to see her. She was so ashamed of what happened; slowly guilt was building inside of her.

“What?!” Baekhyun stopped on his track and tightened his grip on his bike’s handle.

“Why did he do that? Why did you let him do that, huh? Jinri-ah-” For a second, he did not know what to say. She felt the pain in his words then she felt a lump forming on . She was about to cry.

“Oppa..Mianhaeyo..I was..surprised. I wasn’t able to push him before he did. I’m sorry. Please believe me...” She said, her voice trembling a little. Finally, a tear dropped from the corner of her eyes.

He did not answer even after few seconds had passed, so she continued. “Oppa, he actually confessed to me after the kiss. He admitted that he’s been in love with me. But even if he is my first love, I did not accept his feelings because I thought of you. I don’t want to hurt you, much as you don’t want to hurt me. I love you Baekhyun oppa. You are my boyfriend and he is just my best friend.”

She heaved a sigh and went on. “I told him about us and he said that he understood. He told me that he just wanted me to know his feelings that he’d been keeping. So, don’t worry oppa. I won’t leave you. Please don’t be mad…Please?”

It took time before his mind processed everything she told him; his aching heart did not help him think rationally at all.

He exhaled softly. “Jinri-ah..I am not mad. I am hurt…” he paused for a minute then explained. “I am hurt because you let another man kiss you. The kiss you are supposed to only share with me, as your boyfriend. And the fact that he is your first love makes me more worried. I am afraid he will be able to take you away from me. I don’t want that to happen. But what can I do? I don’t control your feelings. I hope everything that you told me is true because I will believe in you. I love you Choi Jinri.”

He continued his bike ride to school, which was only thirty seconds away from where he stopped.

She was holding her breath unknowingly while listening to him. She felt so relieved and fortunate to have found someone as understanding as him. With that, she wanted to love him more.

“Thank you Baekhyun oppa….for being so understanding. I will never break the trust you are giving me. And again, I told you not to worry about Taemin oppa. I just see him as my very best friend.” She tried her best to sound reassuring. She doesn’t want him to think about it anymore.

Nodding his head, he let out a chuckle. “It’s alright. I won’t let this one thing separate us. Anyway, are you about to sleep now?”  

“Hm..Not yet. I want to speak to you more. ” He heard her giggle and it made him smile. “Are you in your school now? Is your class starting?”

“Aigoo.. If you’re tired you should sleep, alright? And yeah, I just reached my school and I am heading to my classroom. The class isn’t starting yet. ” He told her while walking towards his classroom.

 “Yes sir! Also, good luck on your studies sir!” She laughed.

“Yah!! I am just being thoughtful! Stop the formalities, okay?” He replied seriously, but laughed before even a second passed.

“Alrightey~ My thoughtful boyfriend.” She sing-songed teasingly.

“Good. Now, go rest and dream of me.” He demanded playfully.

“Pabo!” They burst out laughing.

However, their laughter was cut off when Baekhyun’s class started.

“Jinri-ah..Sorry, I have to go. Talk to you later. Good night to you. I love you.” He said, a bit rushed.

“It’s alright oppa. Hwaiting! Study well. I love you too.”

“Thanks! I really have to go.” Though he still wanted to talk to her, he had to turn off the call and focus on his class.

 

Jinri stared at her phone for awhile and heaved out an exhausted sigh. She hasn’t thought that it could be a very tiring day for her. Her mind and heart went into a day full roller coaster rides.

Just before she could sleep, she pulled out her bunny keychain from her side table’s drawer and reminisce some memories she had with Taemin. Definitely, it holds a significant value for it was a gift from her first love. Her thoughts suddenly thought of something she did not expect.

What if Baekhyun oppa did not come into my life? Would I be with Taemin oppa right now?

------------

[A/N] I’m back with another update!! This is a chapter for my Taelli readers. <3 saranghae~ Hope you enjoyed!

Btw, I am thinking of putting up another story. Lol …even if I haven’t finished any of my stories. XD I won’t be abandoning this though. This time, I will finish the writing the whole story first before posting it up…or maybe post 4-5 chapters every time I would update.

I know I am not a good writer, but I am trying to be one. ^-^d nothing’s impossible if we’ll strive hard for our goal, right? I will read more commendable stories so I can learn from them and so I can grow as a writer. 

I was actually thinking of nice and unique stories during my alone times. haha Just like what one of my favorite authors said…let’s quit reading stories with so typical plots. >< *peace out* no offense~