'17. faded to darkness

Simply Lovin' You

Faded to Darkness

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Her body jerked forward at the impact of the bullet before falling limp against him.

 

He quickly caught her in his arms as everything around him blurred into noiselessness and his heart throbbed all too painfully against his ribcage.

 

"Jess!" he tried to call out to her. His voice was laced with agony and choked with pain at the realization of what had just occurred.

 

"Jess!" he gave her arm a gentle shake this time, his hold upon her remained firm yet tender.

 

Forbidding himself to waste any more time than he already had, the lean man swiftly swept the injured beauty off her feet and into his arms in one smooth motion, before taking off into an unstoppable shove and push past the crowd.

 

The whole place was chaotic with screams and terror filling the room, but the only thing that filled Donghae's mind was Jessica's safety.

 

He no longer cared for the damn business deal, nor could he afford to pay attention to the hysterical crowd. Even his body had become immune and numb to the harsh pushes and shoves that he gave and received.

 

When Donghae finally made it out of the building, he had never been more grateful in his life to be greeted by the sight of several ambulances.

 

Amidst the hysteria, someone must've managed to notify the police and ambulances he conjured.

 

Thank god.

 

Taking off into a powerful sprint, it was only a matter of seconds before he had the brunette safely secured within the red and white vehicle, and on their way to the hospital.

 

Grasping her frighteningly pale hands tightly in his, for the first time in his life, Donghae prayed.

 

Dear God, please let Jessica be safe. I don't need anything else, just her well-being and safety. I would trade anything for it. Please, God. She has already suffered too much. Please.

 

I love her.

 

He kissed the tips of her fingers upon completing his prayer, and held her tiny hand to his forehead as he let the agony engulf him, creating creases along his forehead.

 

The slight and sudden movements of her fingers sent his bowed head immediately upright.

 

He watched as her eyes slowly fluttered open and gently brushed his thumb across her cheeks in a loving manner.

 

Without his own awareness, a tear had escaped from his eyes and it sent a stab to the heiress' heart to witness it.

 

"Don't be sad. I'll be alright, Hae," she uttered weakly with a soft smile.

 

Her hand went up to rest against his cheek.

 

He nodded lightly, wishing her words true and placed his hand over hers, holding it in place to his cheek.

 

For the next few seconds, neither spoke a word, simply allowing themselves to sink into the gaze of the other.

 

Donghae was the first to break that silence.

 

"I meant what I said, Jess," he took in a breathe of air, "I love you. You mean the world to me, love," his voice broke, "You have to be alright. Promise me.”

 

Promise me you'll be alright," he croaked out the last words.

 

Jessica could only nod in response as her once rosy cheeks became streaked with the tears that endlessly cascaded down from upon them.

 

"I promise I'll do my best. I'd never want to leave you, Hae," her lips quivered as she spoke.

 

He didn't answer, allowing the tears to blur his vision as he brushed away a strand of hair from her face.

 

His eyes stayed fixed upon hers throughout the whole ride and it clenched at his heart every time the paleness of her face became more and more apparent.

 

It was no secret that she was hurting, despite the smile she had plastered on to assure him otherwise, and he hated himself for not being able to do anything about it.

 

When they finally arrived at the hospital, the brunette had already faded into unconsciousness.

 

This left the businessman extremely unsettled and worried, and his emotions were clearly reflected within his actions through the constant to and fro of his pacings just outside of the emergency room.

 

Hours seemed to pass by as Donghae went from kicking the wall in frustration, to restlessly fidgeting in his seat, and when his energy finally wore out, Donghae simply let himself sink to the ground, head buried in his hands.

 

His state of agony was soon interrupted when a shrill voice rang through the corridors of the hospital.

 

"Lee Donghae! This bad son of mine! How in the world could you have possibly let Jessica get hurt like that?!"

 

The elder lady pounded at her chest in agony before proceeding on to beat her son.

 

"Jinyee-ah, it's not Donghae's fault. Don't blame him," voiced Jessica's mom whom was barely containing back a sob while also managing the difficult task of holding back her friend, "We all know that once Jessica sets her mind to something, no one can stop her. That includes protecting her loved ones. She must've felt that this time around, it should be her to protect Donghae. Just as he had to her."

 

The two accompanying men solemnly nodded in agreement.

 

"Don't be too hard on him. Donghae is probably having an even harder time than we all are at the moment. We should all be consoling each other and giving each other strength in times like this," the older of the two men added in his gruff voice.

 

With those wise words spoken, each of the two ladies went back to their respective husband for comfort, and the family gathered together on the chairs in patience and in hopes.

 

It felt like an eternity before the red emergency light finally went off.

 

Donghae was the first to rush towards the doctor and despite the kind man's reassuring words, he felt his heart shatter.

 

-

 

'The surgery was a great success and she has made it through safely. I advise you to be patient with her throughout this time though, because although her willpower is strong, the bullet was located quite close to her nerves, causing an inevitable shock to her system. As a result of this, it is hard to say as to when she would be able to regain consciousness. It could possibly be in a few days, a few weeks, but perhaps even a few months or years. With her strong willpower though, I am sure that she will come through sooner than most.'

 

The tired businessman let the words ring through his head over and over again as he sat by his love's bedside, clutching onto her hands tightly.

 

"Jess. Love," he uttered wearily into her hands, "Please. Open your eyes, talk to me. Just wake up. Please."

 

When he received no response, he gently brought her gathered hands up to his forehead and after many moments of silence, Donghae cried.

 

Letting all the agony and sorrow that he had been holding back go, the weary man cried for the girl in front of him, the love of his life.

 

His shoulders shook along with each sob and from outside the door, his parents and hers, as well as her best friend and her best friend's love, each, too, with a heavy heart, left tears of their own on that lonely and tragic night.

 

-

 

Despite being extremely worn down and tired from the day's string of events, Donghae was unable to catch a wink of sleep, staying up into the late hours of the night.

 

It wasn't because of the uncomfortable sleeping conditions of the hospital.

 

It also wasn't because of the difference in surroundings.

 

His insomnia was due to the fear that once he fell asleep, he would become completely unaware if by chance, Jessica happened to regain consciousness while he, himself lost consciousness.

 

He wanted to be aware.

 

Aware and alert when she finally opened her eyes again.

 

Thus with that wish, Donghae was unable to enter into the slumber that he much needed.

 

By this time, everyone had already, albeit reluctantly, gone back to Seoul leaving with Donghae the stern instruction to notify them immediately upon any changes in Jessica's condition.

 

They had thought it best to allow the agonized man to be alone with his love, and as much as they had wanted to stay, life still went on and there was much to be taken care of.

 

Slipping his hands into the pockets of his suit, Donghae reached for his phone to check the time.

 

The amount of time that his love had remained unconscious.

 

He was surprised, however, when he found his fingertips brushing against a velvety fabric that was not a part of his blazer.

 

Taking the fabric out from within his pockets, his fingers slowly uncurled to reveal an unfamiliar red pouch.

 

Untying the pouch, he reached inside to pull out its contents.

 

A good luck amulet.

 

He was then triggered by a sudden flashback.

 

Not a movement of hers went by unnoticed by him, so when she hugged her arms together in a sign of coldness, he immediately took off his blazer and draped it over her shoulders, pulling it close around her.

 

The brunette turned to him, startled.

 

Her lips slowly curved into a demure smile soon after, and with their gazes fixed upon one another, she suddenly beamed, looking away.

 

It all made sense to Donghae now.

 

Her tardiness, her secretive smile, her sacrifice.

 

It was all for his well-being and safety, and the realization tore at his heart.

 

Perhaps if she had kept onto the amulet, she wouldn't be in this condition right now.

 

Silly girl.

 

Pabo.

 

That's what you are.

 

He blamed her.

 

How could she be so foolish as to risk her life for him with only his safety in mind?

 

Even more so though, he blamed himself.

 

How could he not even have the ability to protect the one he loves?

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm truly very sorry, lovelies!
Please accept my most sincerest apologies!
I realize it's been more than a year now since my last update and I honestly failed to honour my word, I feel horrible. 
I left you guys at such a cliffhanger too, and promised to return soon but ended up not returning until now :T
I hope everyone can forgive me!
I truly never forgot about this story and how I still had to complete it, both as a promise to you guys, my lovely readers, and myself.
I just got so caught up in everything happening around me though, that it was a bit hard to take the time to sit down and finish the story :S
I ended up finishing it on a 5 hour plane ride a few months back, but even after that, I couldn't find the time to quickly reread, edit it, and post it.
At last, I have finally managed to do so!
Sorry for taking so long, loves!
Thank you to everyone for your patience with me!
I wonder if you guys are still around to read this story :$
I realize it's been such a long time and some fans and readers may have moved on, while others may no longer be interested in this story.
I was also shocked to realize that I had so many subscribers and upvotes, I can't remember if I left off with that much, but thank you to my new subscribers and those who continued to upvote my story <3
It means a lot to me because writing is one of my passions and your subscriptions and upvotes are like encouragements, telling me to keep writing and that my writing isn't too shabby.
I really appreciate it (:
I really want to take a day to go over the entire story and fix it up as well but I'm not too sure as to when I may have the time for that, and on top of that, I'm hoping that I could write a new story as well; but that might come off as a horror for everyone considering how long my hiatus was and how long it took me to complete this story haha!
Although, if I do start a new story, I will no longer be writing about Haesica, my once otp and whom I always thought would be the main characters to my story.
It just doesn't feel right knowing who Jessica loves and is together with (even if it hasn't been confirmed, I will wish her happiness with whomever she may be with as long as he treats her right, and she is happy) (: 
To be quite honest, so much has changed in this past year, from Jessica no longer being a part of SNSD, to all the girls going public with their relationships, and it no longer feels right for me to pair up Jessica and Donghae or Taeyeon and Wooyoung.
I have to admit, I had a really hard time when the news broke out of Jessica's dismissal at first because I really loved the soshibond and believed in their love for each other.
Jessica is also my bias so it made it even harder for me to accept that she had possibly just lost 8 sisters, her whole life's work, and was going through such a difficult time back then, probably feeling that her world was falling apart, on top of that, having to deal with all the hate and criticisms ed her way.
I'm very happy for her now though, both for her success and happiness, and all that really matters for me is that she is happy and cherished by her loved ones.
In my heart though, I'll always wish that one day, if it hasn't already happened, our girls' soshibond will be mended.
Not for the fans, not for the public eye, not for the kpop world, but for themselves. 
I truly believe that they really did love and cherish each other a lot, and it would be healing for them to be able to let go of everything behind them and care for each other the way they truly want to again.
Losing each other probably felt like losing an arm. Or even 8 arms, in Jessica's case.
And we all, if not most, have that one precious friend that if given the opportunity to, you would be friends with them again in a heart beat.
Sorry for rambling guys!
Please enjoy this chapter! 
The next chapter will be up shortly!
 
With love,
 
Amidstsimplicity