'11. okay again

Simply Lovin' You

Okay Again

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

That night went by unspoken of between the two. Everything proceeded on as regular. 

 

Donghae still continued his daily routine of watching Jessica. A secret he kept that deemed his day complete.

 

Today was no different as Donghae sunk back into his chair, admiring her from afar. He was sure that by now, she was more or less aware of his strange act but even that couldn't make him toss the habit.

 

A few times, she had glanced up from her work to catch his stare and confused, she would simply frown with furrowed eyebrows before resuming her task.

 

He always hated it when she had uninvited visitors though. Well, only the ones that wanted to court her. A good example of that was Kris, who happened to pop into her office far more often than Donghae could tolerate.

 

It had taken him all his self-control not to storm over to her office the other day when Kris had appeared with a bouquet of flowers, asking Jessica to the masquerade. Much to Donghae's relief, she had gently turned the blonde haired guy down and he was now going with someone else. 

 

The masquerade was LJ's special event for the year. Each year, LJ had a tradition of hosting a special event around summer solstice in celebration of a successful year, as well as a reward for the employees and staffs. The gathering also served as a socializing event for the corporation with its new and old partnerships.

 

It was mandatory that all employees and staffs attended.

 

-

 

The executive director let out a growl as he witnessed the scene before him unfold.

 

A man, whom was unknown but undeniably of great physique, had just entered Jessica's office and greeted her with a hug. A hug that initiated way too much skinship for his liking.

 

Donghae glared a hole into the visitor's back as he tried to keep his calm. All attempts were immediately held futile when the unknown man pulled back and brushed a strand of hair away from her face.

 

Snap.

 

That was the final strand of his patience.

 

Storming his way over to her office, he approached them with an all-too-wide smile.

 

"Jessica?" he knocked on her office door.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a guest."

 

The mystery man turned to Donghae and stuck his hand out with a smile.

 

"I'm Oh Sehun, Jessica's friend. It's nice to meet you!"

 

Donghae returned his handshake with a tight grip and menacing smile.

 

"Lee Donghae. Pleasure's mine. Am I interrupting?"

 

Sehun wrapped an arm around Jessica's shoulder and gave her a light squeeze before replying.

 

"Not at all! I'm just visiting Jess. I haven't seen her ever since she ditched me while working abroad to return to Korea, so I just thought I'd check up on her since I'm here on vacation."

 

He flashed Donghae an easy smile.

 

"Ah!" the younger man suddenly exclaimed, "You must be the Lee Donghae! I've heard a lot about you from Jessica! Please take care of this naive girl for me."

 

The brunette who had been standing on the side quietly, nearly choked on air. She gave a quick jab to Sehun's ribcage with her elbow and jumped to cover up his slip.

 

"He's just joking!" she laughed nervously, "This boy loves to greet new people with an 'I've heard a lot about you'. He thinks it makes it easier to become friendly with them."

 

Donghae's signature lift of an eyebrow had presented itself, doubting her cover up, but he decided to go along with it regardless.

 

"Did you come by to see me for something?"

 

It was now the latter's turn to cover up with an excuse.

 

"I was just coming by to check on the progress of our latest proposal," he lied smoothly with a casual shrug and smile.

 

"It's still in the works. Halfway there, but I'll hand it in to you as soon as I'm done. I'll get back to working on it right now."

 

She turned to Sehun with an apologetic smile.

 

"I'll message you later, Sehun? We'll catch up after I finish work."

 

Sehun grinned.

 

"Alright, I'll leave now. See you later, Jess. Good talking to you, Donghae!"

 

In an instant, the sore to Donghae's eyes was gone.

 

He cleared his throat at the suddenly awkward atmosphere that they were left in.

 

"I guess I'll head on back to my office then."

 

Jessica gave him a nod in response and they both exchanged a quick smile before returning to their previous activities.

 

-

 

"Friends?" the model inquired.

 

"Friends," the male confirmed.

 

The pair smiled at each other and the girl reached for the handle.

 

"Thanks for helping me realize who I truly love, Donghae. Although it started out as a game of using each other for our own benefits, I'm glad we ended up as friends instead, with our previously selfish goals no longer in mind."

 

He could tell that she was sincere and he was grateful towards her as well.

 

"It's ironic, isn't it? You've helped me realize someone who has become important to me as well. I guess we've both gained, not lost."

 

She nodded in agreement.

 

"Until next time."

 

"Until next time," he assured her.

 

Eun Seo pushed open the door to his car before halting in her steps.

 

"The person who has become important to you, don't let her slip away," she paused to smile, "I can tell she truly cares for you."

 

She tilted her chin towards his left.

 

True enough, Donghae spotted a man in black, watching him from afar as he peered into his side mirror.

 

He squinted his eyes at the man and recognition slowly hit him.

 

The man was a bodyguard of the Jung's. Jessica must had been worried about him and sent the man as a watch guard.

 

"Thanks for the heads up."

 

The model's lips pulled into a smile and she exited his car.

 

Donghae swerved his car around and floored the pedal out of the parking lot.

 

-

 

Jessica groaned in fustration, messing up her hair as she got out of bed to answer the door.

 

She had tried her best to ignore the ringing of her doorbell, hoping that whoever it was would go away, but that just seemed to encourage her visitor to ruthlessly attack her doorbell all the more.

 

Trudging her way towards the door, the sleeping beauty twisted the knob and forced one eye open to take a glimpse at her visitor.

 

"I must be dreaming," Jessica mumbled as she turned to close her door.

 

Her attempt was abruptly stopped by a foot that lodged itself in her doorway.

 

The owner of the foot let himself in as he closed her door and leaned upon it, arms crossed.

 

His stoic eyes burned into hers and she could tell that he was not happy.

 

Inwardly, he was quite amused by her discheveled appearance and was actually on the verge of a chuckle.

 

"Have a seat, I'll go get you something to drink," she urged him while combing a hand through her hair.

 

His eyes lazily skimmed her apartment complex starting from the sofa, and came around to fall upon the sleepy girl in the kitchen.

 

He felt the corner of his lips draw into a smirk at the girl before him.

 

She was clumsily fumbling around the kitchen muttering to herself and it was obvious that his presence had caught her off guard.

 

Chuckling lightly, he shifted his eyes from her and onto a room that he assumed must be hers.

 

Her door was left ajar, just enough for him to have a brief peek at her room.

 

Reflecting her cozy apartment, Jessica's room was of an identical aura.

 

A smile crept up his face but it abrubtly turned into a frown as his eyebrows pulled together into a knot.

 

Before he could get a better look or inquire her about it, Jessica broke into his train of thoughts.

 

"Here's your coffee."

 

Donghae raised an eyebrow.

 

"How do you know I drink coffee?"

 

She mentally smacked herself on the head and swiftly thought on her feet.

 

"I saw you drinking it in your office a couple of times," Jessica continued, "Did you come by to see me for something?"

 

Donghae took a sip of his drink and was surprised to find that it suited his tastes perfectly.

 

There was hardly anyone who could make his coffee the way he liked it, but he pushed the thought away as a coincidence.

 

"I know you have somebody following me."

 

The brunette bit the inside of her cheeks.

 

"I'm sorry. I know you probably don't like people invading into your privacy, but I just wanted to make sure that you would be safe."

 

His lips pressed into a thin line.

 

"I'm capable of handling myself."

 

"That's not the point, I know you are, but you didn't take my warning to heart did you? He's dangerous, Donghae. Not someone to be messed with, and he's definitely not someone to be taken lightly! I bet you haven't even taken any of the precautions I've asked you to, have you? Were those words of assurance you gave me all empty lies?"

 

Jessica was getting more worked up by the minute as she spoke and the older man had to reach out to calm her.

 

He brushed a thumb over her lips to shush her before speaking.

 

"Look, Jessica, listen to me. I'm not happy about it but I'm not mad about it either. I know that you did it out of your concern for me and how could I possibly hold you liable for that?"

 

He then smirked at her and took out a pocket knife to prove her point wrong.

 

Jessica bit her lips, embarassed at her outburst.

 

He swept a few strands of her hair behind her ear before continuing.

 

"I've also broken up with Eun Seo, so there shouldn't be anything worth fretting over for anymore."

 

She hesitated, trying to scrutinize his emotions.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

Donghae nodded.

 

"It started out as a childish game of using one another as weapons for our revenge and goal, but we ended up being friends and ended it on a good note instead. She's not as bad as the media makes her out to be. At least not anymore, if anything."

 

Her lips stretched into a smile as she listened to him attentively.

 

"She's realized that the one who she truly loves and loves her back just as much is no other than Jin Hyuk, while I've decided that revenge really takes me nowhere. There are more important things."

 

He sneaked a glance at her.

 

Like you.

 

"Besides, while we were trying to target Yoona for different matters in an immature manner, we've both also realized that for Yoona, all of it really didn't matter. She was happy where she was, with what she had, and who she was with, and no one could break that happiness. They match each other," he lifted his shoulders in a shrug, "Her and her boyfriend."

 

Donghae ended his enlightenment with a smile as his sincere eyes peered into hers.

 

She felt her heart fill with happiness.

 

"I'm really," she grinned, "Truly happy for you. And I'm even happier to hear that."

 

"I guess it's time I head home. I owe my parents an apology still. Care for some dinner with a handsome and some elderly?"

 

He winked at her.

 

She crinkled her nose at his cheesy act and shoved at him playfully.

 

"The elderly part sounds promising."

 

They laughed light-heartedly, both sharing the same relief and happiness.

 

At last, they were okay again.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Lovelies! :*

I'm truly sorry for the late update! I think it's my longest yet!

I hope I didn't keep you guys waiting for too long!

The week has just been so tiring and stressful that I couldn't get myself to finish the chapter no matter how much I wanted to ):

I actually stayed up to finish the chapter despite having a trip that I have to wake up for tomorrow so please forgive me if this chapter feels lacking!

My brain does not function particularly well with sleepiness haha!

I hope you guys enjoy chapter 11! Some haesica moments and definitely more to come (: I'll be back to make proofread after haha!

Thank you so much for the upvotes, subscribes, and comments!

You guys are amazing! XO <3

Much love (: