'13. broken

Simply Lovin' You

Broken

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Staring at his reflection in the mirror, the businessman adjusted his tie with a confident smile.

 

His eyes flitted to the watch on his wrist for a glimpse of the time. It was almost time that he went on his way.

 

Thought aside, Donghae proceeded out of his condo and down to the basement where his car was parked.

 

The sleek, black car opened with a beep and its owner stepped into it accordingly.

 

A smile rendered him happy as he maneuvered his car towards her condo.

 

Halfway to his designated location, Donghae's phone sounded throughout the car.

 

He placed the bluetooth to his ear and the call was accepted with the press of a button.

 

"Hello?" he answered.

 

After listening to what the caller had to say, Donghae immediately stopped in his tracks and switched into the next lane to take a different exit.

 

His hands tightly gripped at the steering wheel before one loosened itself to search for his phone.

 

He dialed in her number.

 

"Donghae?" the receiver picked up.

 

He didn't answer her right away as he inhaled in a breath.

 

"Jessica, something came up and I won't be able to pick you up for the masquerade. Can you meet me there instead?"

 

Her reply came out kind and reassuring.

 

"Sure, it's no problem! I'll see you there then!"

 

He could feel her smile into the phone and he smiled back lightly.

 

"See you there."

 

-

 

She leaned onto the balcony railing, taking in the lively night sky.

 

Stars.

 

He had once said that she would always be able to reach him through the stars in the sky. 

 

She smiled.

 

No further than the stars in the sky would she ever have to reach, he had promised her.

 

That thought had always comforted her.

 

Even when he had been absent by her side through all the years, every time she had peered up into the night sky, he was with her.

 

"This was where we first talked on the night of LJ's anniversary."

 

She spun around, surprised by his sudden and silent presence.

 

His eyes enveloped her into a soft gaze.

 

"You look beautiful tonight."

 

She began to shake her head to refute his compliment when without any warning, he trapped her into a kiss against the railing.

 

Unlike their last kiss, it was more rough and demanding. His body pressed against hers, leaving her breathless, as the arms he wrapped around the small of her waist pulled her close unto him. Heat and electricity radiated from the duo, giving warmth to the chilly night breeze. 

 

He bit and nibbled at her lips until they turned swollen, but even then, he was not satisfied. His tongue brushed upon her lips, asking for entrance and what he asked for, she gave. Thus, engaging their tongues in a dance to the masquerade's music. 

 

The kiss became more and more passionate by the second, as it did aggressive. 

 

She intuitively felt that something was off. As passionate as their kisses had gone, it was never this aggressive. 

 

The only time it had ever turned aggressive was the one time when Donghae had been jealous and angry over her friendly gestures towards the new transferee at their school.

 

Angry. That's right, he was angry.

 

The realization left her alarmed and so unwrapping her arms from around his neck, she placed it on his chest to push him away.

 

He didn't budge and in return, only held onto her even tighter, pulling her in even closer.

 

For a few minutes, it was like a tug of war between the two as she struggled against him.

 

When she finally broke free, she noticed that his eyes had turned hard and stoic.

 

She took a moment to search them.

 

"You know."

 

It was a statement, not a question.

 

His fists clenched and he nodded stiffly.

 

A soft sigh escaped her lips.

 

She turned to face the night sky.

 

"We were childhood friends," she paused, "Best friends, and lovers," she smiled gently in reminiscent.

 

Jessica Jung. She was your childhood friend and later, girlfriend as well.

 

"We grew up together and became particularly close. Just as our parents were bestfriends, so were we."

 

You guys lived in the same neighbourhood, went to the same school, and stuck together like glue. You guys were inseparable.

 

"Sixteen years into our friendship, you asked me to be your girlfriend."

 

Expectedly, your friendship turned into love.

 

And that was when it happened.

 

"Two months into our relationship, we got into a car accident on our way to Alms Cottage," her voice was barely above a whisper as sorrow tinted it painfully.

 

Donghae listened intently, his fists still tight, despite having been told the exact same story just prior to his arrival.

 

You couldn't remember her.

 

"You lost your memories after the incident. When you came to, the doctor concluded that the chances of the recovery of your memories were very slim. In the end, they became unrecoverable."

 

Shortly after, she moved to an all-girls private school. Then, as soon as she graduated, she went on to further her studies abroad and held a job there as a photographer. For six years, you both became void of any contact. That is, until her return a few months ago.

 

He didn't let her continue as he moved in to pin her against the railing.

 

His dark orbs glared into hers while he let out a scoffing smirk.

 

"Let me finish that for you. And so, you left me upon the knowledge, depriving me of the truth."

 

Her head hung low.

 

"I'm sorry, Hae. It was for the best."

 

"For the best?" he retorted bitterly, "Who are you kidding? I became an eyesore didn't I? A hindrance. A burden. That's why you left. That's why you abandoned me!"

 

Laced with anger and dripping with hatred, his words stabbed at her.

 

Her head instantly whipped up to look at him. 

 

Tears blurred her vision as she looked him in the eye, disbelievingly.

 

"Is that what you think of me? A shallow person who would easily abandon her love at the first sight of trouble?"

 

Sarcasm etched his dark chuckle.

 

"Isn't that right? You speak as if you love me, but you couldn't even love me enough to stay! When I needed you the most, you left! You don't love me. You never did, did you?" he growled.

 

One by one, tears streaked her cheeks as she pushed at him.

 

"You can accuse me of anything, but you can't say that I never loved you!" she screamed at him as her sobs grew uncontrollable.

 

Hurt was evident in both their eyes, their hearts wallowing in an endless pit of agony.

 

"I never stopped loving you with all my heart. Not even for one second," her voice came out as light as a feather, and as soft as its touch.

 

Then, with one final shove, she ran.

 

She ran with all her might, her tears trailing behind her.

 

Away from the balcony, away from the building, and away from him.

 

She ran until her feet were sore with blisters and she couldn't carry on any longer.

 

Then, crouching down upon the bridge that she had ended up running to, Jessica cried.

 

The brunette buried her face in her hands as she poured her heart out.

 

When she finally regained some sense of calmness, she searched for her phone with shaky hands.

 

"Taeyeon-ah, can you come pick me up?"

 

-

 

He stood frozen in his spot, stunned by the words that she had left him with upon her departure.

 

Letting out a frustrated cry, Donghae punched at the railing.

 

The pain that immediately surged through him couldn't compare with the one that he felt.

 

Rummaging a hand through his hair, the agonized man slowly sank down to the ground.

 

-

 

Two hearts. Broken.

 

Stranded along the boulevard of sorrows.

 

Can I believe her words?

 

How could he have doubted me?

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi lovelies! (:

I do realize that it has been over a week since my last update and I'm truly sorry for that!

Things had just been busy and hectic, leaving me no time to sit down and type until now.

I hope I didn't keep you guys waiting for too long though!

You guys are the best, you know that right? (:

This chapter may be a bit hard on the heart but I hope you guys enjoy reading it regardless!

Thanks for all the subscriptions and comments since my last update guys! 

Much love, XO (: