Chapter 8: Need a ride?

Unseen

Minzy found a seat in the cafeteria trying her hardest to ignore how people were looking at her. She fiddled with her fork, prodding her food absently. Someone fell into the seat beside her startling her.

“Jesus,” she squeaked, “scared the outta me.”

“Oh, look, miss priss learned to cuss,” Chaelin chuckled and gave Minzy the once over, “what’s with the outfit? It’s very… not you.”

“Shut it you. Taemin’s brother didn’t have any other clothes.”

Chaelin pulled her head back, “that just raises more questions.”

“Oh please,” Taemin wrapped his arms around Chaelin’s neck, “how many times do I have to say it. She’s spoken for.”

Chaelin ran her fingers through her hair, “ah, yes. Mr. Jiyong. How about that brother of yours, is he spoken for?”

“Will you cut that out,” Taemin shook his head and slid into the booth across from the two girls, “you’re like a rabid dog.”

“I am not! I’ve been into him since forever! Don’t make me out to be a teenager.”

Minzy pushed her plate away and rolled her eyes, “what’s so great about my brother? He’s lazy and annoying.”

“You only think that cause you’re his sister, to anyone else he’s totally desirable,” Chaelin grinned, “come on what do you think Taemin?”

Taemin pouted and glanced away from the table, “I could see the charm. Don’t hit me, Minzy!”

“You guy’s are crazy. I mean, Taemin, you’ve even met Seunghyun!”

“And he’s damn y! I admit it!” Taemin crossed his arms.

“Who’s damn y?” Minho slid in beside Taemin and wrapped his arms around the boy.

“They’re talking about my brother, Seunghyun. Apparently Chaelin is totally crazy for him.”

Minho furrowed his brow, “oh yeah, I remember him. He is a pretty cool guy.”

“You’re all insane,” Minzy shook her head, “seriously.”

The group bickered back and forth as they ate their lunch, Chaelin continuously hinting at Minzy inviting her over. The first bell rang and everyone but Minzy stood up to leave.

“Oh hey, did you hear about Park Bom’s new boyfriend?” Taemin snickered, “apparently she’s totally ting it up.”

“Hey, don’t say that! She’s a sweet girl, don’t go spreading rumors,” Chaelin scolded, “besides her new boyfriend is a total tool.”

 Minzy pulled herself up from the table, “who are you talking about?”

“Who? Bom or her boyfriend?” Chaelin pushed Minzy towards the door, “Bom’s the music club’s sweetheart and her boyfriend’s name is Ru. He doesn’t really do anything.”

“I’ve never heard of them.”

“That’s cause you hold no interest in anyone else,” Minho pointed out.

Minzy nodded, “yeah, that’s true.”

 

 

Minzy sat on the edge of the stage swinging her feet while Minho and Taemin chatted about their upcoming play. She sighed and lay back on the stage, “I’m bored!”

“I’m sorry Minz,” Taemin tapped her leg, “we still have to practice, why don’t you see if someone can pick you up?”

Pouting she sat up, “is Chaelin still here?”

“Probably, give her a call,” Taemin handed Minzy his phone.

She scrolled through Taemin’s vast list of contacts and selected Chaelin’s number. The line rang a few times before she answered.

“Hey Minnie,” Chaelin answered.

“Actually its Minzy.”

“Oh, hey Minzy. What can I do for you?”

“Yeaahh. Are you still at school?”

“I was just about to leave.”

“Would you mind taking me home?” she pleaded, “I’ll let you come inside my house.”

“You got a deal,” Chaelin laughed, “though I would have done it either way. You know where my car is.”

She handed Taemin his phone and headed out to the parking lot. Chaelin was in the driver’s seat of her car tapping her fingers again the steering wheel. As Minzy approached she turned down the radio and grinned.

“Hey, what’s up?”

Minzy opened the passenger door and plopped down into the seat, “hey.”

“Wanna grab some coffee before you go home?”

“Sure, I know a good place. I haven’t been in a while.”

 

 

“Ooo, The Moirai,” Chaelin mimicked the sign above the building, “how mysterious.”

“Its more of a club than a café, but they have coffee.”

“I’m just teasing,” Chaelin clapped Minzy on the back, “lets have us some caffeine.”

The girls found a booth and ordered some drinks; a girl stepped on the small stage and began singing a happy, upbeat song.

“This place is pretty interesting,” Chaelin examined the room, “I wonder why I haven’t heard of it before.”

“I dunno, Seunghyun told me about it. He told me to come here so I’d at least be doing something.”

“Ah, it really is cool.”

Minzy leaned back against the wall and stretched her legs out on the booth, “last time I was here Taemin made me take the stage and sing. It was so embarrassing.”

 “I can imagine.”

The girl left the stage and after a while another person came up to perform. From across the table Chaelin groaned, “what’s he doing here?”

Minzy looked up from her coffee toward the stage, “oh, yeah. He comes here a lot too. Dunno why though.”

A slow song started and Jiyong stepped up to the mic, he glimpsed around the room and locked eyes with Minzy. A small smile spread across his lips before he began to sing.

 

Where are you? I want to be next to you right now

I call you but I can’t hear your voice

 

I love you-though you’re not next to me,

I want to tell you I love you

 

He continued to sing, his eyes glued on Minzy the entire time. Chaelin glanced back and forth between Jiyong and Minzy, a creepy smile forming on her face.

“Oh, he’s totally singing that for you. He likes you.”

Minzy covered her face with her hands, “shut up. This is more embarrassing than being on that stage.”

“Aw. But he’s good, why is it embarrassing?”

The song ended and Jiyong hopped off stage, making a beeline for Minzy’s table. Jiyong squatted beside the table resting his arms against it, “hello ladies.”

“Hey bottle blonde,” Chaelin flicked his ear.

“Good to see you too, Chaelin,” Jiyong frowned at her before turning to Minzy, “and how are you? Glad to see you kept my jacket on.”

He lifted her legs from the booth seat and sat down letting her legs back down against his thighs. Minzy blushed, “what are you doing?”

“I thought I would chill with you lovely ladies for a while,” the blonde squeezed Minzy’s calf.

Chaelin leaned across the table; the weight of her body was on her elbows pressed against the table. “Jiyong, tell me something.”

“Hm,” he acknowledged her, his fingers tracing a path along Minzy’s ankle.

“Are you totally in love with Minzy here?”

Jiyong popped Chaelin on the nose, “first, it’s none of your business and second, don’t make love sound like a bad thing.”

“So, is that a yes?” Chaelin retreated to her side of the table rubbing her nose.

He glared at her, “I told you it was none of your business. Go away would you.”

“I’ll be back in five minutes,” she pointed at the two before sliding out of the booth.

“You know, she’s a real pain,” Jiyong turned his attention back to Minzy, “did you enjoy my song?”

Minzy blushed, “yeah, you’re singing is as great as ever.”

“But what about the song?”

“I like it.”

“I was singing it for you,” he smiled sweetly and grasped her hand, placing a gentle kiss on one of her fingers.

Minzy’s face was burning, she dropped her face trying to hide behind her short hair, “what does that mean?”

“I like you,” he whispered leaning over her knees, he brought his face up to hers and nuzzled her cheek. She raised her face to meet his, her eyes were glistening, threatening to tear up. Jiyong captured her chin between his hands and pressed their foreheads together. “I like you. I like you.”

Minzy hiccupped, a tear fell down her cheek; Jiyong swept it away with his thumb.

“Don’t cry, please?” He pressed his lips gently against hers and felt her crumple. Minzy whimpered and threw her arms around his neck surrendering to the feeling of her first kiss. The two pulled away from the simple kiss to find Chaelin standing beside the table grinning.

“You two are super good together,” she slid into the booth, “what a cute kiss.”

“Oh my god, you were watching!” Jiyong took a swing at the girl, “what’s wrong with you?”

Chaelin dodged his punch, “so what? At least I didn’t interrupt.”

Minzy finally broke out of her daze, “you guys are really, not friendly, but that other word.”

“Frenemy?” Jiyong offered.

“No,” Minzy shook her head, “ familiar… playful.”  

“That’s cause we’ve had class together for the past seven or so years,” Chaelin leaned across the table again and pinched Minzy’s cheeks, “don’t worry. I told you before I don’t like his type.”

Minzy laughed and batted her hands away, “alright, okay.”

“Anyway, time to keep good on your deal,” Chaelin downed the rest of her coffee, “sorry to separate you two but she owes me.”

Jiyong scooted out of the booth and offered his hand to the shorthaired girl, she blushed and took his hand.

“I’ll see you at school tomorrow,” he turned to Chaelin, “take care of her.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Come on, I wanna see Seunghyun.”

Jiyong walked out of the store with them, “really, you and Seunghyun?”

“That’s what I said,” Minzy threw up her hands, finally someone agreed with her.

“You know he’s a lazy little , right?” Jiyong opened the car door for Minzy.

“She doesn’t seem to care.”

“No I don’t. Lets go!”

Jiyong closed the car door, “I mean he’s really ing lazy. He’s gross! Chaelin! You’re crazy, you know?” He shouted after the car.