Chapter 4: Confidant

Unseen

Pulling off her heels Minzy padded down the hallway mindlessly aiming to get as much distance between her and that bottle blonde pain in the . The halls, like usual, were empty and quiet, the classroom doors closed tight. Huffing angrily Minzy meandered through out the school shooting a look of pure evil at any teachers who tried to corral her back to her classroom.

Spotting the large auditorium doors Minzy smiled, Taemin could cheer me up. Pulling the large wood door open she examined the auditorium; classic red velvet curtains and stage seats to match, the drama class was still practicing. Taemin wasn’t on stage, instead a tall, good looking man with dark hair was reciting lines. Pursing her lips Minzy glanced around; the teacher was standing at the bottom of the stage giving instructions to various other actors.

The bubbly redhead hopped up from his seat and clamored onto the stage before tackling the actor. Minzy cocked her head and stifled a laugh, this boy really was too much. Aside from Taemin and his victim, most of the students had made their way off stage and were mingling, chatting about the upcoming play or techniques.

Minzy grinned and waved at the boy from her seat at the back of the auditorium. Waving back Taemin spoke a few words to the boy beside him before he bounded down the aisle and sat next to Minzy.

“You know, you really shouldn’t sit like that,” he pointed at her bare outstretched feet against the back of the seat.

“How come?”

“I could see your undies,” he laughed.

Puffing out her cheeks Minzy dropped her legs to the floor, “sorry.”

Taemin snorted and rested his head on the girls shoulder, “hey, you see that guy.”

The red head pointed at the guy he was previously hugging, “him.”

“Yeah, he’s quite good looking.”

“Yes, yes he is,” Taemin blushed, “I like him.”

Minzy paused, did she hear that right? Raising her brow she turned to him, his face was beet red.

“Jeoldae andwaeyo! No frickin’ way!” Minzy gasped.

“Ah, it’s true,” he sighed, “but he just thinks I’m a ditzy flirt.”

Minzy pouted, “Poor baby Minne.”

“Anywho,” Taemin waved his hand, “so what happened with you? I told you you wouldn’t escape my questions.”

 Minzy slid down in her seat and scowled, “nothing.”

“That is such bull,” the redhead yanked his hair out of its bun letting the long locks hit his shoulders.

“Have you,” she murmured to herself, “ever felt so insignificant?”

Glancing sidelong at the lively boy she sighed to herself, no probably not.

“Uh,” Taemin raised a brow, “not particularly.”

The chatter in the auditorium died down as the break bell rang and the students clamored up the aisles. Breaking eye contact with Minzy he glanced at his dark haired crush, sending him a small smile as he exited the room.

“You and I,” he forcefully poked Minzy’s shoulder, “are not through. I have Maths next, ugh. Meet me after school at the front, ok?”

“Yeah… Sure.”

“I’ll hunt you down,” Taemin narrowed his eyes. The red head his heel and bounded away leaving Minzy to sulk as she pulled on her shoes. The late bell rang while she still struggled with her heels; groaning to herself she stood up, threw her bag over her shoulder and tripped her way to class.

“Minzy,” the teacher huffed, “late again.”

The teacher passed back a clump of papers with a large red mark, “your test from the other day. I am not pleased. Should this continue I would suggest a tutor.”

Minzy shook her head and laid her head down on the desk, she could easily out sleep her teachers rambling. Nap time!

 

~

 

A sharp bang and the rattling of several desks woke Minzy from her daydreaming, staring blankly around the room she caught her history teachers angry gaze. Woops, she wiped her arm across , time to go. Hurriedly grabbing her bag Minzy booked it out of the room and to the front of the school.  

Taemin was taking forever, where was that boy? Tapping her foot Minzy pulled at a lock of her hair and tried to ignore the groups of people happily chatting around her. The little red head finally appeared following forlornly behind a happy couple.

“Ah, Minnie!” Minzy smiled and attached herself to his arm, “took you long enough.”

Taemin sighed and glanced from the couple in front of him to Minzy, he looked like he was about to cry. “Wh-what’s wrong?” Minzy gripped his shoulders turning him to face her.

Shaking his head Taemin tried to regain his composure. “Minzy,” he forced a smile, “this is Minho and his new girlfriend…Sulli.”

The other girl smiled warmly, she had a small face with delicate features, small eyes and full lips. “Hello,” Sulli raised her hand in a small wave, “are you Taemins…?”

“Oh,” Minzy giggled, “no, no, no. I don’t know him well enough for that.”

The tall man beside Sulli shot a fleeting look at Taemin, “ah, well, we’ve got to go. Ill see you tomorrow, Taemin.”

Minzy watched as Minho and Sulli walked off, hand in hand. Beside her she could feel Taemin trembling and turned to find him wiping away tears.

“Come on,” Minzy gripped his hand, “we’re going to go somewhere I really like.”

The normally talkative Taemin just followed as Minzy hauled him away from the school.

 

~

 

“My brother told me about this place a while ago. Its one of my favorite places now.”

Taemin sighed heavily as he was pushed into the building. Glancing around the club Minzy groaned, “nevermind. Lets go somewhere else.”

“Is… is that who I think it is?” Taemin pulled his hand away from the short haired girl, “oh, my god. It is!”

Cursing herself Minzy was pulled into the dim club, why, why, why now?

The red head shoved her into a booth and scooted in beside her, his mood seemed better at least. The club was packed with students just getting off from school and club activities. Taemin was still occupied with the figure he spied earlier while Minzy slouched down in her seat.

“God, he is so gorgeous!” Taemin swooned, his earlier heartbreak pushed out of his mind for the time being.

“Heeee’s a ,” Minzy singsonged angrily.

“Huh?” Taemin leaned back, “what do you mean?”

Pointing to the blonde chatting happily to his table Minzy rolled her eyes, “he is my problem. You were asking earlier, right?”

“Wh-wha?” Taemin faltered, his mouth agape. He looked absolutely stupefied. “I-I’m just not sure what’s going on. Do you know him? Like, really?”

“What? Are you a fan boy?”

“Duh, who isn’t? He’s amazing… so gorgeous.”

“You would be sorely disappointed. He’s a tool.”

Taemin had a look on his face of utter disappointment and confusion. Setting his face into a determined frown Taemin snatched a book from his bag and began to leaf through it. Grinning he stopped at a page and turned to Minzy.

“Sing me the first verse of Like Being Hit By a Bullet.

Minzy furrowed her brow but obliged. Rocking his head back and forth Taemin scrunched his nose and dove back into his bag.

“This,” he handed her a piece of paper and pushed her towards the stage, “sing it.”

“What?!” Minzy’s eyes bulged, “are you crazy? I can’t sing! I wont sing especially in front of all these people.”

Taemin pushed her onto the small stage, “show him how amazing you are. You don’t need him, tell him you wont be his whatever anymore.”

Minzy stood awkwardly on the platform as the red head hopped over to a small booth and whispered into the persons ear. Instantly a quiet, soft melody sounded throughout the room.

, Minzy could feel her face burning, already missed the first line. Breathe, breathe, breathe… Minzy closed her eyes and wet her lips before shakily grabbing the microphone:

Tell me what you want, I am not afraid
Look into my eyes and tell me so
Don’t try to hide, no need to lie
I just wanna know, why you gotta go

(I Know), I guess you got another girl
(I Know), your love for me has faded away
(You know) Still you can’t seem to let me go

 

Finally opening her eyes Minzy glanced around the room continuing to sing, almost every patron was watching her. Oh god, Minzy hesitated, missing a beat, I’m horrible, stop staring at me.

Trying to calm herself down Minzy looked around for Taemin, hoping for some reassurance from the redhead. Instead she caught someone else’s gaze, a particular blonde. The short haired girl stumbled over the lyrics, the way he was staring made her feel even more out of place.

The song ended and Minzy dropped her head to the floor, she wanted to get out of this situation and fast. The sudden eruption of applause was not what she was expecting. Taemin bounded onto the stage and wrapped his arms around her neck, “oh my goodness! You were so incredible!”

Minzy grimaced as she was led off stage, god, next thing you know this ditz will try pulling me into the drama club. Pulling her into a tight hug Taemin grinned, “ah, you made my day better.”

“Are you still gonna fan girl over Jiyong?”

“Of course!” Taemin patted the booth beside him, “but I’m still totally devoted to Minho, even if he’s a total douche bucket and dense as platinum.”

“Oh, he still doesn’t know?”

“Nope.”

Minzy pursed her lips, “I hate you for making me do that.”

“Why? Your voice is wonderful.”

“I don’t like people, I don’t like being in the spotlight, don’t do it again or I will end you.”

Taemin feigned fear, “oh no, what will I ever d-“

He was interrupted as a man plopped down into the booth across from them. Minzy squeaked as the blonde grinned at her, why was he here? Taemin’s eyes widened and he stealthily slipped out of the booth.

“Hey,” Jiyong cocked his head to the side, “been a while.”

“Uh-huh,” Minzy scooted back against the booth, “whose fault is that though?”

Jiyong scratched his neck, “I never knew you had such a voice. It was really something.”

Smirking Minzy ran a hand through her short hair, pretending not to hear him. The blonde groaned and slid around the table beside her, trapping her between him and the wall.

“Ignoring me now?”

“Aniyo,” Minzy frowned at him, “I’m not the one behaving like head anytime I’m around you. You’re like, bi-polar… no, schizophrenic! Multiple personalities?”

“I am perfectly normal, thank you,” Jiyong grumbled, “you don’t act different around different people?”

“Hello,” Minzy motioned to herself, “this is me we’re talking about. Social outcast. Friendless.”

“Hey, what about that little red head?”

“Ok, I have one friend and it’s like, a super recent addition.”

The blonde ran his fingers along Minzy’s forearm, “so, there’s no way you’ll ever forgive me?”

“Aniyo,” Minzy flinched and pushed his hand away gently, “if you want me to forgive you, you think of something. Until then, I will continue to be mad at you. Now, go away and bring me back Taemin.”

Jiyong frowned as he stood up from the table and Taemin took his place. The red head glanced sidelong at Minzy, “so, what was that?”

“Nothing.”

“You’re still mad at him?”

“Oh, my god! Of course I am! Why wouldn’t I be?”

Taemin shrugged, “cause he’s so charming and he really liked your singing. You should have seen him he was practically drooling. If you learned how to own the stage you would be absolutely stunning.”

“Well I don’t want to be stunning.”

“Oh yes you do! Key did his part and did it well, right?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Now it’s my turn.”

Minzy scowled, “I don’t think I’ll like this.”