Chapter 16

Unseen

So i realize that my concept of time in this story has not been so great as of the last few chapters but i dont care about it enough to do anything about it. So just ignore it...or not. Whatever.

 

Minzy shifted in her uncomfortable wooden seat in the indoor stadium at the nearby college.  Beside her Kibum was coddling Bom’s infant and on the other side Seunghyun was rapidly snapping pictures of the graduates. She rolled her eyes, positive ninety percent of those pictures would be of Chaelin. The students had already gone through the act of getting their diplomas, the valedictorian and salutatorian had already given their speeches and the principal was stepping onto the stage.

            “I want to congratulate each one of you for the accomplishments you’ve made during your time here and for all that you will achieve when you leave. Whether you continue your education, explore the world, make a family or join your career path, remember the friends and the family you have made along the way. And we, your mentors, will always be here to lend a helping hand.”

            The principal bowed and walked off stage while the audience applauded and, for the last time as students, clad in graduation robes and hats, they followed their principal out of the stadium.

 

~~

 

            The lobby of the stadium was abuzz with congratulatory remarks, questions of future plans and last minute invitations to dinners and parties. Bom rushed out of the crowd of graduates and scooped the infant from Kibum’s arms.

            “How did she do?” Bom gave Kibum a quick kiss on the cheek, “thank you so much for taking care of her.”

            “She was very well behaved,” Kibum heaved the diaper bag over his shoulder, “I’m getting use to being one of your Mr. Moms.”

            “Well I figured Seunghyun needed a break to enjoy Chaelin’s graduation,” Bom grinned, “I’m sure Jiyong is wandering around looking for you. Kibum and I are going to go pick up Taemin and Minho, but we’ll be back in time for the bar-b-que.”

            Minzy spotted Jiyong off in the corner of the lobby trying to separate his graduation robes from his dress shirt and tie.

            “Need some help?” Minzy teased while Jiyong tried to pull the robe over his head, “there is a zipper for these such reasons.”

            Jiyong grumbled, finally freeing his head, “but I’m a man, I don’t follow directions.”

            “You’re hair is sticking up,” she laughed and pushed back his hair, “congratulations. I’m so proud of you.”

            He beamed for a moment, his eyes fixed on hers, it didn’t matter how many people were around, all he saw was her. Ask anyone what they thought of Minzy and half of them probably wouldn’t know who you were talking about, the rest probably wouldn’t have anything too superb to say. On the surface she was rather average but to anyone who actually looked they could see how beautiful she was in an instant. Her whole face lit up when she smiled and her eyes glistened when she talked about something passionate.

            Jiyong took her hand, “you’re gorgeous, you know?”

            And when she blushed, she was unbearably cute.

~~

            “Jiyong!” a slightly burly, somewhat familiar guy approached them, “I heard you’re coming here for college! Me too!”

            “God for you. I figured your -for-brains wouldn’t be able to get into Clown College,” Jiyong joked.

            “Nah,” he noticed Minzy and smiled slightly, “I see this miss was able to actually catch you. Nice, nice.”

            Minzy grumbled, remembering the last time he talked to her she got so angry she went out and changed her entire image.

            “Well, we gotta get going,” Jiyong pulled Minzy’s hand up, “see you around.”

            Nearly an hour later and various stops to chat with classmates the two finally made it to his car. Neither of them really wanted to lag around the stadium but it couldn’t really be helped. Everyone was excited and they wanted to share it with anyone they even slightly knew. It was a time to celebrate.

It’s alright, Minzy had to keep telling herself. It wouldn’t be much longer till they were out of this crowded place. Not that it was going to be much better at the house, she realized. Seunghyun was hosting a party for three high school graduates, so being at home wasn’t exactly going to be quiet.

Minzy sighed and laid her head against Jiyong’s shoulder while they drove home. This was probably the most peaceful tonight would get.

Sure enough, as soon as they got home she was hit full force with the loud chattering of friends and family. Minzy sighed again but forced herself to head to the back of the house and into the backyard.

“Seunghyunnie,” Minzy laughed at her brother, “you’re turning into dad. I expected you to throw a kegger not a backyard bar-b-que.”

“You’re turning into a regular old man,” Jiyong clapped him on the back.

Seunghyun pointed the metal spatula at him, “I’m only a year older than you. Just wait till you have to take care of a bunch of idiotic teenagers, you’ll get old real quick too.”

Minzy nodded, it was understandable. He had the sole responsibility of taking care of her for most of her life and now with everything that was going on, he was a little over his head. But he was doing a good job.

She glanced around the backyard, there were Seunghyun and Jiyong’s friends, people from the tattoo shop and some of Bom’s singing group. She felt out of place, like a kid with their parents at a Christmas party.

Bom and Kibum still hadn’t arrived from picking up Taemin and Minho and she wasn’t much for initiating conversation, so she stuck close to Jiyong. Finally after twenty minutes of boring graduation talk Taemin came bouncing out of the house.

“Hey Minzy,” he smiled and enveloped her in a tight hug, “sorry we’re late. Bom’s in the living room settling Mira down for a nap.”

She nodded, even if the conversation was mostly one sided she already felt more at ease.

            “Minho?”

            “Oh, him and Kibum are bringing in some food,” he shrugged like it had nothing to do with him. “So Bom told me he got twenty-two years. That’s not bad, right?”

            “Huh?” Minzy shook her head confused for a moment, “oh, yeah. I suppose that’s something.”

            She hadn’t really thought about it but they’d missed the sentencing because of Bom and the baby.

            “Sorry, I’m sure you don’t want to talk about it but I figured it would be better to know.”

            “I know, I know,” she managed to crack a smile, “but who cares about that. Right now, we’re celebrating, right?”

            “Right! Of course!” Taemin gave her a nother quick squeeze, “so I’m sure you’ve heard this at least twenty times today, but what are Jiyong’s plans now that he’s done with high school?”

 

            Minzy bit happily into her second burger while Minho and Taemin flirted beside her. She wasn’t unhappy with her relationship with Jiyong even though they weren’t super lovey dovey, it wasn’t impossible for them to be like that again. It would just take time and determination, and that was mostly up to her.

            A few hours later the party finally began to die down leaving just the usual people; Seunghyun was scraping the grill and chatting with Kibum. “What’s the deal with you and Jonghyun? You were arguing at the shop last time and practically this whole party.”

            “Kibum grumbled and rocked on his hips, “I just cant stand him. He’s so flashy but one fling and he thinks he owns me.”

            Seunghyun rolled his eyes, Kibum was well known as only having one night stands, “right…and having a meaningful relationship with someone who likes you would be so horrible?”

            “Yes, exactly! You get it!”

            “No you wad,” Seunghyun put the grill brush down, “Jonghyun likes you despite being the you are when it comes to relationships. You’d really rather sleep with countless, useless idiots, living an unfulfilled life than try to fall in love for once?”

            “Speaking of which,” Seunghyun looked around, “where’s my little sister?”

            Kibum wandered away from Seunghyun, more shocked by the fact that Seunghyun gave him advice than the realization that he was, probably, right.

Maybe.

            “She’s in her room with Jiyong,” Bom paused in the doorway realizing how that sounded, “they’re not doing anything they shouldn’t, they just feel asleep after watching a movie.”

            Seunghyun frowned and walked past Bom into the house. He peered into the room where Minzy was curled up against Jiyong’s chest, both sleeping peacefully, “I trust him, Jiyong knows better than to do anything.”

            “Awww, they’re so cute,” Bom nudged Seunghyun in the rib, “don’t worry so much. They’re good kids.”

            “I know, I know,” Seunghyun growled, “anyway isn’t it time for you to go home? Everyone else has.”

            “Fine, I’ll knock Kibum out of the stupor you put him in,” she shook her head at him, “you should know better than to mess with his simple mind.”

            “He’ll get over it.”

            Minzy mumbled in her sleep and buried her head into the crook of Jiyong’s neck, Bom and Seunghyun’s conversation was threatening to wake her up. Reacting to movement Jiyong’s eyes blinked open, he smiled and brushed a strand of hair from the sleeping girl’s face. Still half-asleep he wrapped his arms around her tightly before drifting off again.

 

~~

            “Are you sure this is what you want to do?” Seunghyun tapped the steering wheel nervously, “cause, either way, I’ll support you.”

            “Yes,” Minzy shifted uncomfortably in the passengers seat, “believe me, I don’t want to…but, I think it could help. At this point I’m willing to try anything to get back to my old self. Or at least some version of her.”

            Seunghyun sighed and scratched his chin, “whatever you think is best.”

            “I’ll be back in a bit,” Minzy waved as she exited the car, walked up to the building and into a small, cozy room.

            “She’ll be right with you,” an older gentleman at the reception desk motioned for her to sit down. She nervously stared down and messed with her fingers until she was called into the other room.

            “So, what brings you here?”

            “Um, can I ask one thing before we start?”

            The woman nodded, “sure, what is it?”

            “Don’t use that line ‘how does that make you feel?’” Minzy smiled sheepishly.

            “Of course not,” the woman smiled back, “now, care to tell me a little about your situation?”

 

Do you want any extra/side stories about Taemin/Minho, Kibum or any of the other side stories?