Chapter 1: Invisible

Unseen

 

Even attending such a large High School, Minzy captured the attention of no one. At least in smaller schools there is somewhat of a closer bond between students because usually they’d been together for such a long time. In large schools it was hard to connect with others, especially when you’re an introvert. After so many years of solitude she’d given up trying, people avoided her in general for the obvious reasons; she didn’t stand out, she didn’t make herself particularly appealing and no one understood her train of thought.

            Minzy closed her eyes and breathed in deeply as she stood at the schools entrance; just another day. Blinking she made her way into the massive school and maneuvered to her first class staring at the ground the entire time. She sighed, her double-rimmed glasses slipping down the bridge of her nose as she dropped into her desk.

            The classroom fit thirty students plus the teacher; like every other school it was nondescript; brick painted white, large windows that only opened a few inches and a door in the front of the room. Minzy couldn’t care less about her surroundings; she huffed and laid her head down on the desk.

            Hearing a high-pitched giggle behind her Minzy darted her eyes to the back of the room; one of the makeup caked, twig thin es was eyeing her up and down. She didn’t care enough to learn anyone’s name.

            “Nice outfit,” the girl smirked, “did you get dressed in the dark at a thrift shop?”

            Minzy rolled her eyes and turned her gaze back to the front of the room fixing her gaze on the whiteboard. What’s wrong with my clothes and why the hell should you care. She tugged at her shirt; her outfit was simple, only someone looking for dissatisfaction could be insulted by it. It was a loose, long sleeved, button up shirt, blue jeans and white high-tops converses. 

            Sighing Minzy shoved her head back against the desk; the teacher was going over differential equations.

            “Minzy,” the teacher sternly asked, “what is the answer?”

            She tilted her head slightly so one eye was showing above her arm, “dunno,” she shrugged. The teacher huffed and turned back to the board and began scribbling out the answer her arms shaking angrily for the remainder of the class.

 

            She stomped passed the front door and spotted her brother sprawled out on the couch, “Seunghyun, I hate you.”

            “Hate you too little sis,” he replied not turning his attention away from the television, “so why do you hate me this time.”

            “Stop buying me stupid clothes.”

            He frowned at gave her a once over, “what’s wrong with them? They are classic!”

            Minzy gritted her teeth and pointed a finger at him, “you! I don’t know why I even bothered, you have no fashion sense so stop buying me clothes!”

            “Fine, go away then.”

            She shook her head and stuck out her tongue, she didn’t like her brother but he was one of two people who didn’t ignore her outright. Granted, he only paid attention to her because he was her legal guardian while their parents traipsed around the world without a care in the world. Her short hair flipped as she her heel and made her way to her bedroom.

            Minzy threw her bag next to the bedroom door and flopped down on her bed. Pulling out a small sketchbook from the nightstand she flipped through it until she reached a blank page near the end. Biting the sides of her lips Minzy pressed her pencil tentatively against the white page; twisting her wrist in a fluid motion she began sketching. 

Hearing the familiar slam of the front door shutting she sat up, a small smile appearing on her face. Almost immediately she straightened her face and calmed herself down, he wasn’t here for her, he never was.

            Brushing her fingers against the doorknob she cracked the door open and peered out into the hallway. Next to the front door stood the blonde she had become use to seeing in her home. He was gorgeous; his almond eyes made each expression more intense and his full lips made his smile all the more charming.

            He laughed at Seunghyun from the doorway before glancing down the hallway and noticing Minzy’s door slightly opened. Holding his hand up he paused his conversation with her brother and trotted back to Minzy’s room.

            “Hey Minz,” he smiled.

            Minzy brushed her hair back behind her ear, “Hi Jiyong. So, what’s the occasion for your visit?”

            “Seunghyun invited me out for a blind double date,” he made a face at the thought, “what are you up to?”

            “I was thinking of going to the club to do some drawing,” she pursed her lips, “maybe they’ll have some good performers today.”

            Jiyong smiled and waved to her as Seunghyun called him back to the living room. He and her brother knew each other from school, Seunghyun graduated last year and Jiyong was soon to follow. Though Seunghyun and Jiyong had known each other for a while Minzy never met Jiyong until a month or so ago. It was nothing short of fate that they met; of all the years that Jiyong visited her house she never once step foot outside her room.

            Finally fed up with her monotonous routine Minzy went, with much urging from Seunghyun, to a simple club he suggested called The Moirai. It wasn’t a drinking and dancing club, it was for people to get together and listen to music, perform, or just relax. Ever since she first went she ended up spending most of her free time there, which was a lot. Her second week at the club Jiyong came in and preformed. Minzy dropped her sketchpad as he began to sing, he was amazing and his voice was more than that. His blonde hair shone in the light as he moved around the stage; he sang a wide range of songs from a ballad to hip hop and rap.

            By the end of his performance Minzy was apparently grinning like a fool because he caught her gaze and walked over to her. Even in the club she usually remained alone but the atmosphere was far more comfortable than at home. Jiyong came right up to her table and sat down beside her; still in awe from the situation Minzy hadn’t closed her sketchbook and the blonde was flipping through it.

            “These are good,” he smiled and stopped at a sketch she had done of her brother, “very realistic. He looks familiar…”

            Minzy blinked slowly at the gorgeous man beside her, outside of teachers and family she hardly had contact with others, especially men. She felt her cheeks flush slightly, “oh, thanks. I drew that, it’s my brother.”

            “Hm, Seunghyun?”

            “Y-yes…” Minzy stuttered, “you know him?”

            “Yeah, we went to school together,” the man grinned at her, “I’m Jiyong.”

            Minzy’s blush deepened, “oh, I remember hearing your name sometimes. My name is Minzy, I’m Seunghyun’s little sister.”

            “Honestly I never knew he had a sister,” Jiyong scratched the back of his head, “that’s rude, I’m sorry.”

            “No, its alright,” Minzy waved her hand at him, “I’m use to it. I tend to stay in my room. Seunghyun says I ‘don’t associate well with others.’”

            Jiyong furrowed his brow, “that’s not good. Why does he say that?”

            “Because I don’t have any friends at school.”

            “Oh? Where do you go to school?”

            “Same school my brother went to.”

            A strange expression flashed across his face for a split second, one that Minzy couldn’t quite figure out before he smiled, “so do I but I haven’t seen you around.”

            “Like I said, ‘don’t associate well with others.’” Minzy repeated.

            Jiyong nodded, “ah, yes. Well, if I stop by your house I’ll make sure to pop by your room and say hi.”

             Minzy watched him walk away and disappear out of the club; she smiled to herself and dove into her sketchbook to copy down his features. She wouldn’t say she was happy but meeting Jiyong at least made her feel like it was possible to be close to others.

 

            Minzy glanced around the cafeteria nervously, she usually skipped lunch and stayed in the classroom but she hadn’t seen Jiyong since they first met and she was feeling rather anxious. Spotting a tuff of blonde hair Minzy awkwardly stepped up to the full table and tapped him on the shoulder. Clenching her lips between her teeth Minzy stared down at the man blinking rapidly from behind her large glasses. Jiyong’s expression startled her and she jumped slightly, her glasses falling to the tip of her nose.

            “H-hi,” she whispered pushing her glasses up, “I was wonde-“

            A boy next to him glared at Minzy, “you were wondering what, if he would date you? God, why can’t your fan girls go away?”

            “Uh,” Minzy looked from Jiyong to the angry boy, “Jiyong? I was wondering why I hadn’t seen you lately.”

            Jiyong propped his head on his hand and watched as Minzy nervously rocked from one foot to the other, “Do I know you?”

            Minzy stopped dead, “w-what?”

            The man just smiled, it wasn’t a cold smile or a smile full or warmth; Minzy’s lips trembled and she quickly turned away from the group of people staring at her. The one time she was willing to get close to someone and put herself out there, it had to be someone that would be cruel and break the small part of her soul that was left. But the first time they spoke he didn’t seem like that type of person, was her intuition wrong from so many years with out interaction with others?