o.11

Seoul High Class Host Club *Hiatus*
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Asking you out

"Can you be my Nightingale?
Sing to me, I know you're there
You could be my sanity
Bring me peace, sing me to sleep
Say you'll be my Nightingale."

Has not everybody thought about it yet? What if? 

What if someday you get into an accident and the doctor diagnoses that you won't be able to walk or write anymore, that you are paralyzed. What if one day you wake up with cancer? What if you loose your eyesight or go deaf? What if you parents died and you're all alone, what if your friends betray you and you don't know how to make it through life? 

Those question all have passed the Host members minds but they do everything to not end like that. They are enjoying life as much as possible, to the fullest they would say and they actually did.

It's something Kyungsoo can't really understand. His dignity, existence and dream is gone. He has thought about a future and he once also dreamed of fame and a family but that was when he was still the old Kyungsoo. Famous for his singing talent, frightened because of his cold attitude towards rivals and confident because of his supportive family. Kyungsoo never had real friends except of his co-worker HakYeon who wouldn't stop bothering and claim to be his friend in this cruel world of capitalism. From time to time Kyungsoo still thinks about him and what happened after that dreadful party he was invited to. He shouldn't have left him alone as a friend, and sometimes Kyungsoo feels guilty and like a traitor because he was not able to help his only friend. 

After the incident and loosing HakYeon as friend, Kyungsoo decided to walk with open and not closed eyes through the world,  so no wonder his orbs managed to make out Kai in the crowd of rich and question him. It's no wonder his first thoughts were directed towards the boy and come to aid him when he fell.

Kyungsoo has accepted that he wanted to help back then but in the present he is not all that willingly. It's not even for Kai or Jongin -however the boy wants to be called- anymore. It's for the schools reputation,  for the school Kyungsoo was forced to attend because of his parents and the director of Seoul's richest school for the most important people. 

Kyungsoo has thought about it endlessly but he cant find a way out. He has thought so often in his life about the question 'What if?' and it never ended with a good answer about enjoying life and do your best to live on. It has always been dark, depressing for himself and his surroundings when a decision was enforced. He is not that happy go lucky child with childhood friends, with friends in general.  He had nothing as a child, not much toys to play with, not so much space to play hide and seek. He never got as much candy as the other children around him and his packed lunch never has been more than kimchi and salty rice, egg rolls and one time in a week pork. 

But even with all that he never complained to his hard working parents about anything. He took music classes seriously and made out of his talent a passion and a way to earn  money. Kyungsoo can describe himself as a hard working teenager, that never wanted more than the possibility and open future. He had it all but not now. 

Sitting in his room, without his roommate but the cause of his problems, Kim Jongin in front of him, Kyungsoo is not sure if he should be happy about what he just heard or scream out loudly so everyone hears. He is really contemplating to blow his cover because the Host club has gone crazy over the night. 

He is NOT going to make some random girl jealous and get his kicked by her. He is also NOT going to the Christmas ball with Taemin who actually is the boyfriend of Naeun. He knows the girl by looking at her because of curiosity, she seems nice and is in the committee for the events that are going to be held till the end of this year. He has heard from Krystal and Taeyeon that's she will leave for a sport and actor career to the States the up coming year and that she can make it because she is just that good. Kyungsoo easily can believe that and that's why he refuses with a strict and final shake of his head and a loud No.

"Why? I don't understand why you aren't helping out a friend.  Did you even listen to me? It's also a chance to catch the molester red handed!", Jongin tries to reason with the older man who grits his teethes and turns bright red than a traffic light, warning Jongin to not say another word but the boy is not stopping his speech.

Listening to the younger, Kyungsoo decided that Jongin has gone insane over the night from Saturday to Sunday. Why would he come and inform Kyungsoo about this plan only now? 

But if Kyungsoo recalls right, yesterday Xiumin wanted to talk to Taemin, wanted he? He is not sure anymore because he has tried to make yesterday as relaxed and normal as possible. He even went out with Joonmyun to just escape school and his 'friends' who would embarrass him only further and now what is this situation or rather the future situation when he is forced to do what the others have planned? It's going to be embarrassing and risky. The possibility of being found out is big and Kyungsoo has a bad feeling about this, another reason for him not to comply. 

"Firstly I did listen but Taemin is not my friend, I don't even know him! Secondly we should not interfere with a relationship between two people. They need to talk about it and not something childish like-"

"Stop we have already talked and discussed about it Soo. And we decided on this. I know Naeun and she is the jealous type of woman, it will work. It sounds childish to you but we need to try because Naeun and Taemin are great friends to me.", Jongin interrupted the elder, smiling innocently with a tilt of his head as if he could not understand what Kyungsoo actually wanted. There was nothing wrong with hitting two birds with one stone at the same time, is there?

"But I have a bad feeling about this Jongin. I don't want to do it.", Kyungsoo now confessed, eyes staring into Jongin's but the boy doesn't seem impressed at all. His smile fades and he has a scowl on his face when silent surrounds them in the room. The atmosphere grows awkward and Kyungsoo shifts uncomfortable on his own bed, where he sits cross legged.  He gulps when Jongin sits suddenly up in his chair. What is the younger planning now? Why is he even discussing this topic with him? He is older and should only say his opinion on the matter and tell Jongin to leave. That's it, why is he even fighting with the boy? They always end with a misunderstanding or fight about something useless. Kyungsoo doesn't like it at all, he never liked people with double personalities and Kai is more Kyungsoo's level to deal with than Jongin is. 

"If you have a bad feeling than it is just right that you go and observe the crowd from close and not far away. You don't need to worry about anything Soo, we will be there and look out for something suspicious, so no need to worry. The Host members are going to be the main attention anyway.", Jongin stares, moving closer to pat Kyungsoo on his thighs but he stops in mid air and moves away. The young still is not very comfortable with the elder. He has a duty and needs to watch and be careful. The best is to actually stay away from Kyungsoo.

But on one hand he feels need to protect Kyungsoo and help him with his problems but on the other Jongin knows that he is the problem, with his brother being the second.

"I still don't know Jongin. It's not right. Why me anyway? Go let Luhan or Sehun do it!", Kyungsoo suggests, causing Jongin to chuckle slightly.  

"Luhan would look nice in a dress I have to admit but most of the student population knows how he would look like while cross dressing. In his first week we had a challenge for him to wear everyday a different dress or he wouldn't have been accepted in the club. Why has he so many girls looking after him when not because of that? And Sehun is not the type to play and he is openly gay. Taemin would refuse him as a partner.", Jongin explained swiftly, his look saying that there is nothing to do about it. 

"Kyungsoo please understand that it is the best that can happen. Maybe we find the molester and you could leave the dress and wig and everything behind. Luhan suggested if you needed more time we should get you hair extensions. It's better and more save for you and us.", explains Jongin when he looks at the mannequin head with the black locked wig in the corner. 

"No way! I already refused it the first time Luhan came up with it. That's too much seriously.", Kyungsoo protests, hands held high as if to defend himself and that the young was exactly doing. He wears a dress and a wig and that's it. No way he really transforms into trouble.

"Alright. I know it's going to be too much but well... Kyungsoo we still know nothing about the molester and I don't understand why you don't want to go to the ball. It would help a friend of mine and it's a chance to catch the molester red handed. It's the best that could happen.", states Jongin. He looks very serious, more serious as Kyungsoo has ever seen him and in a way the older male wants to help. He needs to help anyway, he has no other choice even if Jongin makes it look like it. 

"I get it... but I am not willing at all Jongin."

"I know Hyung.", the younger voices with a gentle smile because Kyungsoo hasn't said no directly and seems to be agreeing in some kind of way. Patting the older male on the knees, in a reassuring way, Jongin only then notice how thin the boy opposite of him actually is. He furrows his brows before taking a better look at Kyungsoo. His clothes hung on his form, hair curly on the tips and even without the make up on his cheeks and lips the older looks healthy with the shade of red decorating his features. His eyes are full of something that is indescribably for Jongin but it maybe could be sadness. The elder is used and working unwilling for the school and nobody likes to be forced into something they don't even have interest in. Jongin knows that Kyungsoo is not here because he wants to but it can't be helped. He is in this situation because of his own mistakes and Jongin can only do as much as he already does. He is not the director, he is not his father and that's it. Observing the older male, how he emotionless takes everything in and agrees with a little sass, it's all Jongin can get out of his Hyung and it is alright. But he should do something in return, shouldn't he? Jongin still hasn't really looked into the whole case about the bullying thing, maybe he should ask around and do something in return for Kyungsoo. He pitys the boy but also admires him for being so strong. Kyungsoo really is something special.

Jongin's concern and admiration for his Hyung stays unnoticed by Kyungsoo who is just spacing out and thinking about everything and nothing. Sighing, the King stands up from his seat and smiles down at a surprised Kyungsoo. 

"I'll be going then Hyung. Have a nice Sunday.", the younger says and Kyungsoo nods his head, smiling the slightest bit because it is polite. 

The small gesture does wonders to Jongin but he doesn't show the affects. He only bows and walks out of the room in what he thinks is normal speed. A little out of it, Kyungsoo watches him with hawk eyes. The young is acting as if his company is infecting. Quickly walking out of the room and closing the door with a not so quiet slam. The sound is echoing in the room for a few moment before it's silence again. Kyungsoo frown deepens with time passing. He is not happy about the decision the Host club made about his current status without asking him for his permission but well... what can he do other than comply? He is such a low life. A clumsy idiot who breaks million won vases as if it is his hobby.

You're so stupid! Nerve wrecking! Dumb !

Jongin leaves the building in a rush. He walks down the path when Kyungsoo spots him from his seat by the window. The king walks like usually. Head held high, eyes focused and his presence is shining. Making the sun seem powerless. The girls walking or chatting away on the paths and benches look up from their business to watch the friendly prince charming greet and smile so angelic to everyone that crosses his way. Kyungsoo can't but think that this guy is just not the grumpy one he met weeks ago in the bar. This boy is so full of energy and life, nothing but the opposite to the Jongin he has got to know first. Which is the true Kim Jongin? Is one of the few questions Kyungsoo has when he watches the King disappear through the crowd of students.  

 

It's Sunday evening when something unexpected happens. Joonmyun has been out all day since Jongin has come and asked him too leave and come back later. His roommate took the time and went out how it seems, without him this time. He would have liked to join him. Yesterdays freedom wasn't enough for Kyungsoo but he can't do anything about it. He needs to man up and get thought with this in speed. Maybe a little bit more courage and will makes the whole mission 'impossible' easier to solve? Who knows when not tried yet?

Kyungsoo has thought about it all day long being all alone in his room and suffering from the lack of fresh air. He feels like a fish, trapped in water that has its edge by a transparent glass wall. An aquarium as its prison and right this is where Kyungsoo lives for the time being. An aquarium where everyone can look in and see the exotic fishes but the fishes don't know what their watching. There is no way a fish knows what it looks like when it  is the only one swimming up and down a wall many times. Maybe he looks funny. Clown fish? Maybe he is an octopus? Spluttering ink and wrapping around the only hold he has left and that for dear life? Reality is harsh but there is nothing Kyungsoo is able to do but do what the Host members ask him to. What Jongin ask him to because he is all this doing only for Jongin.

After doing his homework without success because he feels stupid for even trying to do mathematics without any help, Joonmyun comes bursting into their room, panting. 

"You won't believe whom I met and what he said.", its all the older boy says with flushed cheeks and gesturing widly to the door and back to Kyungsoo.  The former is lost at the lack of explanation and tilts his head to the side, a cute sight because Joonmyun is immediately reminds him of a puppy.

"What is it?", a man of few words sits in front of him and Joonmyun should have known. He knows Kyungsoo for one month an a little and the boy has never talked much expect four sentence after another. He sighs before stepping closer to Kyungsoo and pointing at him as if he is going to scold him and he somehow badly wants to. It's not because Kyungsoo is a quiet guy in real life and very grumpy at times. Not because Kyungsoo is the cute boy who kissed him to try stuff out -Joonmyun still feels a little bit used- but because Kyungsoo needs to get his thoughts sorted out so he can focus more and keep track of what is happening around him. He is ignorant but Joonmyun will hold his tongue because a mad Kyungsoo is nothing he wants to experience. Good enough that Jongin seems to get every blow of anger from Kyungsoo instead of him. The king is a living magnet when it comes to Kyungsoo's emotions and perhaps it has something to do with the whole scholarship and director business.

As curious as Joonmyun claims himself to be he has never asked Kyungsoo about the directors words on their first day in this school until now.same goes for Tao. They both heard it, saw it, notice it but they don't dare to ask just yet and maybe it's good just like that. Kyungsoo will come along when he deems himself ready, Tao would have said now but Joonmyun shakes his head to get back to the point why he is standing here, arm raised, fingers pointing at a cute button nose. 

"Byun Baekhyun just came by and asked me where Do Soora is.", he finally forces out, head falling forward and lips parting for some air. He ran here, down the corridor when he saw Baekhyun standing in front of the door, ready to knock. He can't even imagine what would have happened if the younger male saw Kyungsoo in all his manly self open the door with tired and lazy eyes that would widen in shock and surprise... enough mental drama for today, Joonmyun decides. He starts to open his mouth to explain everything in detail but Kyungsoo seems not as interested as he should be. "And what?"

"Uh...", thrown out from his line of thoughts, Joonmyun hesitates before replying.

"I told him you where going to look at the labyrinth or something."

"And why would he believe you? ", Kyungsoo questions, rolling his eyes at his roommates behavior.  

"I don't know but he believed me and went towards that direction. He is looking for you, you should see yourself. Quick before he comes back!", Joonmyun doesn't looks very good. He is pale and out of breath still, hands balled to a fist and Kyungsoo is not sure what he should believe anymore. Why would Baekhyun ask Joonmyun where he is? Why would he come to the boys dorm in the first place? Isn't the best idea to look at the girls dorm instead? He is official a girl so the conclusions that he lives in the girls dormitory is more likely than in the boys one. Maybe Baekhyun found out?

"That is bad, really bad.", Kyungsoo mutters to himself.

"I know so get dressed! You're gonna be found out. Hurry!", Joonmyun urgently whispers and with his help Kyungsoo is nicely dressed in five minutes. His wig fits perfectly and secure, a light make up one his cheek by a shaky hand and Joonmyun scowls a little at the bored sight of a very unwilling Kyungsoo but still pushes him out of the room after checking if anybody is looking. 

"That you still insist of rooming with me is a mystery. It's very difficult to sneak you out when it's daytime.", the older male says and Kyungsoo chuckles lightly. 

"We just hide in a corner and make out when someone happens to come.", the smaller male says seriously with a hidden smile. 

"WHAT?"

"It always works in movies and the heroes are left alone after that.", Kyungsoo explains and Joonmyun snorts. "Well yeah but we don't live in a movie and we definitely are no heroes or gay to be specific."

"You're not? I thought you would be and of course I am a hero Hyung! I wouldn't be doing this if not.", Kyungsoo whispers. The older rolls his eyes at the first remark while guiding the smaller male to the back exit. After a quick 'good luck' Joonmyun watches Kyungsoo skipping in his steps to the labyrinth. If he is smiling at the moment he would look very cute but Joonmyun knows better. Kyungsoo is no one who laughs out of free will. He hasn't seen the boy laugh whole heartedly and honestly in the time they live together. He giggles and chuckles from time to time, yes but if it's genuine? Joonmyun questions that. What happened with Kyungsoo to be like this?

Meanwhile Baekhyun is searching for Do Soora rather eagerly. He hasn't stepped into the maze yet and hopes Soora hasn't done it as well. It is a very complicated irregular network of paths and dead ends so Baekhyun doesn't dares to step a foot in there ever again. He has been in there once, wanting to search for a way to the other north end to visit his elder brother but he hasn't managed to get there but be lost for hours.

 The labyrinth is separating the different areas of the schools ground. It's very large and you easily get irritated when you step only one foot into the area. Baekhyun sighs when he doesn't manage to find Soora while walking around the bushes. He needs to talk to her and see her really badly. So many questions flood his mind per second and Baekhyun believes that he will explode if he doesn't find Soora now and start to solve the secrets about her mysterious  person. 

"SOORA?", calling her name is not helping either, she wouldn't he able to call back anyway. Huffing and whipping the sweat from his forehead, Baekhyun stays put and tries to think. He thought that Soora might be at Joonmyuns.  The both are close and even if not lovers,  Baekhyun has seen Do Soora going into the boys dorm more often then in the girls dorm. Actually he never has seen her walking in that direction. Taeyeon also said she doesn't knows her room number or floor. Krystal and Jessica who share a room and are her friends also don't know it. Soora always stays late in school in the library or by the Host Club when Joonmyun is present. The girl is a mystery for many people and Baekhyun thinks he has a hint of her true person. He only needs to prove it, to himself or the pupils its all the same at the end something big is going to happen. He just knows it. 

Ruffling his hair and sighing in exhaustion because its already pretty late, Baekhyun remains searching with his eyes the area. A yellow and black shadow is walking towards his direction, and a pretty head is turning in all directions looking for something or someone? 

Isn't that the girl he has looked for? What is she searching for? Him? Did Joonmyun tell her? Where was she?

"Soora!", Baekhyun calls and the girl stops in her tracks before making eye contact. She smiles before taking her overly large skirt in her hands and running towards him. She pants a little and Baekhyun is not sure what is more adorable. That she comes running to him or her smile with those heart sharped lips that make his heart flutter a little.

"What are you doing here? I was looking for you all afternoon.", the young boy says, tilting his head when Soora pulls out of her pockets a pen and a little note book. She quickly writes something down and shows it to him with a apologizing look in her eyes. She grins from her to ear when Baekhyun sight but nods in understanding. She was lost and when she walked past the boys dormitory to her own Joonmyun caught her. Didnt that meant that she passed by him but Baekhyun can't remember having seen her. He frowns a little but doesn't voice his doubt when Soora continues to smile innocently at him. She takes her notebook and start to doodle.

What did you want from me?

"Uhm... I- you see...? It's a little embarrassing but well I wanted to ask you out on a date for the next weekend before the ball on monday?" Baekhyun can't believe what he just did. That he just asked his crush out on a date as if it was nothing. It's a big deal. He never has been alone with Soora before, what should he do? Where would he go with her? 

Baekhyun has already thought about it all and planned it out. It's not an ordinary date after all, it's also detective work. He has never done something like this either. Going on a day with the opposite gender. It as always been Chanyeol and his close friends who went out to the mall in middle school. There where not many girls that wanted to join when having some time alone. Now Baekhyun is going to go out with the new student and not with a random one, no, a mute girl who has so many secrets hidden. Baekhyun immediately regrets asking her out when he looks up into her beautiful face. Maybe he shouldn't have done it after all. Soora doesn't smile as brightly anymore as she did before. Now it just seems fake and Baekhuyn can understand how she must be feeling at the moment. Not only taken by surprise but also confused at his sudden actions. Until now Baekhyun has not made it clear to Soora that he likes her. Only Taeyeon has guessed it so far but she is not the one talking about this kind of thing to her friends. Baekhyun is glad that his best friend is so considerate towards him.

He flinches when Soora opens and closes it right after. That shouldn't be the first thing a mute girl since birth should be doing. Isn't the first reaction to grab a piece of paper and write a message instead of trying to talk? First question.

Her fingers tremble when Soora finally comes to her senses again. It takes some time for her to write something on her book but Baekhyun waits patiently, lost in thoughts about Soora's behavior and actions.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter