Chapter 8

Unexpected Lovers

Daehyun stood behind the counter, looking at the different labels and recipes until he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned, only to come face to face with Aram.

"Where Byunni?" She asked. The boy only shrugged his shoulders but Aram eyed him. "You don't talk much do you."

Daehyun tilted his head in confusion as Aram walked away to meet up with Byunni who just walked out from the back.

"Unnie!" Aram called. Byunni turned toward her friend.

"Oops. I forgot you were here." Byunni teased and Aram pouted.

"You're so mean." Aram pouted just as Himchan came out.

"You guys should really start working. School's over and you know how students are going to file in soon." Himchan said. Aram froze and Byunni nodded, walking past her friend and over to Daehyun.

"I guess you've noticed the labels and stuff?" She asked the older and he nodded. "So I'm sure you got the basic idea of how to do things?"

Once again, the older boy nodded.

"Then you're able to handle the customers?"

"I'll be fine. Stop worrying you old prick." Daehyun said.

"Meanie. I'm just trying to help." Byunni said and walked off, cleaning tables. Yongguk followed, changing the morning prices to afternoon prices. Himchan was preparing the baked goodies. Jieun was handling with the few customers that still remained.

"Daehyun-ssi. I know you're new but can you get the mop in the back and help clean the floor?" Jieun asked from behind the register. The boy nodded and walked to the back to get what he needed.

Aram was watching Byunni clean.

"I seriously don't get you. I mean I understand what you're trying to prove. But you have everything you could ever want." Aram commented.

"Shh. I don't want to be looked at as some sort of rich girl. I want to look normal. I'll just look rich when I buy presents." Byunni said as she wiped the table clean.  Aram only sighed in defeat and watched Himchan who was restocking the display case of goodies. Byunni looked over at her friend and shook her head in amusement.

In the back, Daehyun pulls out the mop, with its little bucket. Just as he stepped back out to the front, he again bumps into Byunni.

"Ha, we keep meeting like this." The girl smiled  and side stepped, allowing room for Daehyun to move. Just then, customers started filing in.

"Himchan! Take over Daehyun's job so he can learn for today?" Jieun called.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Himchan muttered as Daehyun handed him the mop.

"Mianhaeyo Himchan-ssi." Daehyun whispered but Himchan shook it off. Unexpectantly Yunhee and the twins walked in, along with Youngjae and the others coming in after a few other customers. The boys met up with Aram who was sitting alone, still day dreaming about Himchan.

"Oh look, little rich girl is working?" Yunhee commented and her followers laughed.

"Back off Yunhee. No one asked you." Youngjae shouted from across the cafe. Byunni sighed and apologized to Jieun for her friends.

"Don't worry about it Byunni." Jieun smiled and took orders from the customers that filed in. Jongup came up and waved over to Byunni before ordering for everyone at the table.

"Guys! A large non-fat green tea frap, a caramel latte, strawberry short cake, and three vanilla cake pops." Jieun called. Byunni gathered the snacks form the display cases as Daehyun made the drinks.

He looked over the labels and found the recipes for the drinks. But Daehyun froze in his spot. He knew those orders were for his new friends and he already made a bad first impression during school. Byunni tapped him on the shoulder which snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Need help?" Byunni smiled. The older nodded. She grabbed two cups, one for the frap and one for the latte. "The latte is simple and easy. It's mostly the base of every coffee drink." Byunni said, handing him the cup for the latte as she began the more complicated green tea frap.

She easily blended the ice and the flavoring together to create Youngjae's favorite drink. Just to annoy her friend, she added a red alcohol cherry to his drink, knowing he hates eating those. She smiled and placed his drink aside and watched Daehyun successfully make his first beverage for a customer. She grabbed his cup and smiled.

"Nicely done... Oppa." Byunni smiled and placed the orders on a tray as she carried it toward her friends. But since Yunhee was there, nothing wasn't going to go so easily for her. As she walked by Yunhee's table, Kira stuck her leg out and Byunni tripped. Bracing herself from the fall and spills from the drink but it never came.

Byunni looked up and realized Himchan caught her, smiling. The drinks however, were caught by Yunhee. Not exactly caught, but fell on her... Yunhee immediately stood up and screaming at the new stained on her blouse.

"You little brat! You planned this!" Yunhee screamed and everyone's attention turned to the group of friends.

"She didn't do anything. Your follower tripped her and I bet it was your order to do so." Aram shouted, defending her friend. Himchan blushed as he helped Byunni to her feet.

"Thanks Sunbae." Byunni said shyly. She wasn't close with Himchan or Yongguk as she was with everyone else in the shop.

"Just helping out a friend." Himchan said but he glared at Yunhee and the twins. "As for you three? Don't you have a decency to even think about the people around you. I don't know what's going on between you brats and Byunni, but this is a public place for everyone. It's not a war zone for your amusement."

"What's going on?" Hyosung stepped out of her office, after hearing the commotion. Immediately, Byunni stood up straight, in fear of Hyosung's personality. She was sweet but there were times where she was just plain scary... She looked at the mess and instantly looked over to Byunni and Yunhee. "I don't know who you are, but you've caused a lot of trouble just stepping into my shop."

Hyosung pointed her finger as she glared at Yunhee. But Yunhee tried her best not to looked scared.

"Byunni is a little sister to us here and by humilating her, you insult everyone else in this shop. Now I order you to leave before I call the cops." Hyosung threatened. Yunhee groaned and stomped out with the twins always following.

"Thanks Unnie." Byunni said to the older before turning to her friends to apologize for their order. "I'll make new ones for you and it could come out of my paycheck."

"Noona wait!" Zelo called, but it was too late since the girl had already rushed back to the counter to create new drinks for her friends.

Hyosung sighed. She just couldn't stop Byunni and her kind heart.

"Sorry about that guys. But since your friends of Byunni, I'm sure you understand? I won't take it out of her paycheck if that's what your worried about. It wasn't her fault. But she'll be back shortly with your order." Hyosung said and went back into her office.

Behind the counter, Daehyun watched the event take place and grew worried. In his mind, he knew it was his fault that Yunhee became more of a bully.

"Byunni?" He called. The girl turned to him as she remade the drinks in a matter of seconds. "I'm sorry."

"For what silly? You didn't do anything. Yunhee was always like this." Byunni said as she grabbed the snacks from the display case. "She's more jealous than anything. She believes I conspire against her so I can be superior. She's that stereotypical bully, you know what I mean right?"

Daehyun nodded.

"Sorry don't worry about it... Oppa." Byunni smiled. "Anyway, I'll be right back."

The girl left the counter with a full tray and walked toward her friends. From where Daehyun was standing, he heard the girl apologized and watched as her friends surrounded her with hugs and worry. She waved it off and returned to Daehyun.

"Today's going to be a long day." Byunni sighed and fulfilled the orders Jieun called out, but at the same time, she tried to teach Daehyun the best that she could. Lucky for her, he was a quick learner.

By 8PM, Byunni's friends had left and the employees started to close up for the day. I'm glad I survived through the day. Now only to survive home. Daehyun sighed as he mopped the floor.

"Something a matter?" Jieun asked. Daehyun shook his head. "You know you can tell any of us anything. We're all family here."

"She's right. You're a part of us now." Hyosung smiled as she counted today's profit.

"Thanks." Daehyun smiled. Byunni came from the back room, dressed in her usual clothes.

"Is everything alright? I sense tension." Byunni froze, causing everyone to laugh.

"No tension at all." Yongguk smiled. "Just family talk."

"Oh yeah! Welcome to the family Daehyun Oppa." She smiled. "But I have to go home now. I still have homework to do."

"You better be walking with someone." Hyosung warned. "Cause there's no way I'm letting you go home alone at this time of hour."

"I can drive her home." Himchan offered who came out from the back door, finishing throwing the garbage away.

"No, it's okay. I don't want to bother anyone." The younger girl said.

"Did I not just say I wasn't going to let you leave alone?" Hyosung said sternly.

"Fine!" Byunni muttered. "Sometimes I hate you for being so scary."

"What was that?"

"Nothing." The petite girl smiled sheeplishly.

"Sorry Byunni. Give me a minute to change out." Himchan said as he walked to the employee room. Daehyun put the mop and bucket back into the closet.

"You can get home safely right?" Yongguk asked the boy. He nodded. "I'm sure Chan won't mind to taking you home either."

"I'm doing what now?" Himchan asked as he stepped out.

"Take him home too." Jieun pointed to the new member.

"Sure, I guess." Himchan shrugged as he grabbed his keys and walked out. "You two coming?"

Byunni nodded and left after him. Daehyun grabbed his things and walked out behind her.

"You guys notice the triangle too right?" Jieun asked once the door shut behind Daehyun.

"Please, I noticed it when they first walked in." Hyosung said.

"That's not true. Technically I saw them walk in first."

"Would you two cut it out?" Yongguk but in as he went to clean out the coffee machines and wash the rest of the plates. "Knowing what happened today, it isn't going to be easy for those three."

"Bang, you notice it too?!" Jieun exclaimed.

"Only idiots wouldn't be able to see it." He replied.

"Let's just see what happens." Hyosung sighed as everyone walked out, closing up the shop for the day. "See you guys tomorrow."

The three went their separate ways as the night grew with the full moon, shining through the darkness. However, in the car with the other three, was only awkward and silent...