Chapter 13

Unexpected Lovers

Saturday night ended late with the secret new couple. After their little water fight, the two said good bye as Hyosung closed up the shop and everyone went their separate ways. Without Himchan, the two didn’t have a ride home.

“Where do you live? I’ll walk with you so nothing happens.” Daehyun offered.

“No, I’ll be fine. It’s getting late and you need to be home. I’m sure your mom will be worried about you.”

“She knows I work. I usually don’t get back until 2am sometimes. She’ll understand. Besides, your safety is most important if you’re my girlfriend.” Daehyun smiles as he interlocked his hand with Byunni’s.

“Alright… But you insisted, just don’t be surprised.” Byunni said and led the way to her house. The two talked about anything that came up. Little did they know, in the distance, a man was watching them in his car, smiling.

In no time, the couple had reached the Song’s mansion.

“So Daehyunnie~ Welcome to my home.” Byunni pushed open the gates.

“This? This is where you live?” Daehyun gawked at the huge house.

“I told you not to be surprised…” Byunni pouted and led the speechless boy to the door. “Oh my gosh, you didn’t eat dinner yet! You have to stay and I’ll make you something quick.”

“I really shouldn’t. Besides, it’s getting late and I can always make food at home.”

“Okay, that’s not fair because you insisted you walked me home for my well-being and I can’t make you food that makes you healthy?”

“I’m not hungry.” Daehyun lied and at that exact moment his stomach started to growl.

“Sure, you’re definitely not hungry.” Byunni unlocked the door and pushed it open. The three boys fell over, holding the side of their faces. “Bwohya!?”

“Uhm, we were totally not listening…” Youngjae scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and rushed back inside.

“We didn’t hear anything either!” Zelo shouted and rushed back inside with Jongup trailing behind.

“I’m sorry… I had the house to myself and I didn’t want to stay alone. I swear I’m not a .” Byunni explained.

“I know you’re not a , but you know who is?” Daehyun smiled.

“Who? Yunhee is so sweet and innocent.” Byunni said sarcastically and led Daehyun inside.

“Ha-ha very funny; you can’t joke about her like that. She doesn’t even deserve to be falsely advertised that way.”

“You have a point, but I also don’t have a heart to hurt anyone. Besides, she probably has a reason why for being the way she is…”

“You’re defending her… You’re defending the one person that made your life a living hell.”

“Yeah, but I guess it’s somewhat my fault… We used to be best friends.”

“Really? The angel and the devil, friends?” Daehyun gawked.

“She isn’t lying. We used to all hang out…” Youngjae trailed off as Byunni set the table.

“What do you mean? Why is she acting this way to you now then?”

“I honestly don’t know. We never did anything wrong to her. One day we were friends and the next, well, we weren’t.”

“It’s like she suddenly craved attention. She wanted to be center stage and the only way to do that is either get on stage or be the source of the drama and have everyone fear you.” Youngjae added. Byunni shrugged it off and went into the kitchen to make dinner.

“How does someone switch personalities like that over night? That doesn’t make any sense.”

“Well, my teacher told me that if someone craves attention, then there’s usually a problem at home.” Jongup blurted. “That, or she could have mental issues and need therapy.”

“Jongup, don’t say that.” Byunni scolded from the kitchen.

“Yes noona…”

“Hey is food ready yet? I’m starving!” Youngjae whined.

“Almost done!” Byunni answered as she placed the kimchi fried rice into a large bowl. “Junhongie, can you bring this out? I need to wash the pan.”

“Coming!” Zelo grabbed the bowl and placed it in the middle of dinner table. “Noona’s cooking is the best!”

Zelo took the serving spoon and gave himself a large serving before passing it on to Daehyun. The older boy nodded his thanks and gave himself a portion of the large bowl as Byunni brought out the other side dishes.

"Wait, so how did you guys end up not being friends anymore?" Daehyun asked as he passed the bowl to the next person.

"I don't know, but it started randomly. One day, she just snapped." Byunni explained.

"Nini, you're completely oblivious." Youngjae added. "Byunni, Yunhee, and I used to always hang out and well, just like Aram and Byunni were inseparable, Byunni and Yunhee were tied at the hip. They did everything, told each other everything. Yunhee had a few crushes here and there. However, more often than enough, the guys that Yunhee liked chose Byunni over her. But knowing Byunni, she rejected them because of her respect for Yunhee."

"That's it? Yunhee's being a witch to Byunni because a couple of guys chose her?" Daehyun asked.

"I wasn't done Mr. Interruption." Youngjae snapped. "One day, some guy finally chose Yunhee and she was excited. Girls being girls, Yunhee told Byunni and introduced her to him, but Yunhee knew something was up when he kept inviting Byunni on their dates. A week later, the guy broke up with her and told her that he only dated her to get closer to Byunni."

"That's low and pathetic. I understand why Yunhee has a grudge against Byunni." Daehyun sighed. "But that's no way to treat a person. Putting itching powder and faking a video, it's just so petty."

"She's done worse. Like locking me in the janitor’s room, telling the sports team I would be a woman with them, hiding my clothes after swim practice. It's a struggle just being the victim. I don't know how you're going to date her." Byunni said, finishing up her plate. “I can’t even tell the school board about it because her dad is the head of the committee.”

“Yeah, but did you say your parents are a part of the board of education?” Daehyun asked.

“Well yeah, but they’re always so busy, so I just put up with it.” Byunni sighed.

“That’s why Byunni has such awesome friends, like me, to cheer her up.” Youngjae smirked.

“I’m starting to agree with Zelo and Jongup that you are a complete doofus.” Daehyun commented. “Anyway, I think it’s time for me to go. Thanks for dinner Byunni. I’ll see you on Monday?”

“If you’re free tomorrow, you can come over to do homework with us?” Byunni asked shyly.

“I’ll think about it.” Daehyun smiled. Byunni walked Daehyun to the door. “Really, thanks for dinner. It’s been awhile since I got to eat like family.”

“You’re always welcome here.” Byunni smiled and Daehyun smiled back. The two fell into an awkward silence, but they felt the chemistry. Daehyun slowly leaned in, almost touching her lips until the rest of the boys came out.

“Byunni, where did you the dish soap?!” Youngjae called as he looked up, Daehyun pulled away and Byunni’s face flushed to a deep red. “Oh you’re still here. See you tomorrow bro!”

“Yeah, see you tomorrow.” Daehyun cursing under his breath and opened the door. “Bye Byunni, sleep well.”

Byunni waved goodbye and locked the door. She turned and glared at Youngjae.

“What?”

“Where’s the dish soap? You’ve been here how many times and you don’t know where the dish soap is?”

“Gotta protect my little sister somehow?” Youngjae smiled, knowing that he fully planned the interruption.

“Oh my gosh, you’re such a dork. Just put the pans and dishes in the dishwasher.” Byunni called. “Jongup, Zelo, come and get ready for bed. Youngjae-ssi can clean up!”

“Coming noona!” The two boys called.

“Hey that’s unfair!” Youngjae whined.

“You’re the one interrupted my first kiss.” Byunni teased and ran up the stairs with Jongup and Zelo.

“This is so not fair… I get punished for protecting her and this is the payback I get?” Youngjae whined and trudged himself into the kitchen as the others got ready for bed.