Chapter 12

Unexpected Lovers

The following morning, Byunni was the first one up. She took her usual morning time to get ready for the day. While she was in the shower, Zelo was the first one to wake up out of the guys. He quickly brushed his teeth and woke up Jongup too. Still sleepy, the usually happy-go-lucky kid questioned why he was up so early.

“Let’s make breakfast for noona!”

“Andwae, Soojin-ssi will make breakfast for all of us.”

“But it’ll be nicer that we helped and tried to cheer up noona since Aram noona couldn’t be here.”

“Araso, kaja!” Jongup climbed out of his blanket and washed up before going downstairs with Zelo.

Youngjae woke up from the noise and noticed that the two just left the room. He wanted to ignore what they were up to, but curiousity got the best of him as he got out of the blankets and followed them downstairs.

“What are you two up too?” Youngjae questioned as he saw the two tie aprons around their waist.

“We’re making breakfast for Byunni noona.” Zelo chimed.

“You guys are going to burn the house down!”

“No we’re not, Soojin-ssi will help us.” Jongup smiled.

“It’s Saturday. Soojin-ssi goes home for the weekend, remember?”

“Ooh yeah…” The two boys looked at each other in disappointment. “Hyung, do you want to help us?”

“Ani, I won’t be responsible for burning the house down.”

“Buy Hyuuuunnnggg!” Zelo whined and eventually the older gave in. He grabbed the other apron and took out the ingredients for pancakes. “Yay!”

Jongup started looking for the pots and pans as Zelo started to look for the spatula, plates, and bowls. Being the youngest, Zelo started to set the table as Jongup heated up the stove as Youngjae started on the batter. 

Everything was going well until they tried to start flipping the pancakes. Jongup had accidently let one burn and it was starting to smoke out the kitchen.

“Yah! I told you to pay attention to the pancakes!” Youngjae scurried over to the stove and tried to scrape the burnt pancake into the trashcan. Unfortunately, the heat burned the plastic bag and started to smoke until a flame ignited.

“Hyung, what’s burning?!” Zelo came in after setting the table. “Hey! What’s with the fire?”

“Shut up and just help put it out. Go get a bowl of water.” Youngjae instructed as he tried to swab it out with the dish towel. Byunni came down after hearing the commotion.

“What in the world is going on here?” Byunni questioned and as she noticed the fire, she quickly ran under the sink to get the fire extinguisher. “I don’t want to know what happened. Just be happy that you guys didn’t burn my house down.”

“Mian noona… We just wanted to make breakfast.” Jongup apologized.

“Gwenchana. Here, I’ll help. What kind of pancakes do you guys like?”

“Blueberry!”

“Chocolate Chip!”

“I prefer waffles… but banana pancakes works.”

“Okay! Coming up.” Byunni took the rest of the batter and divided it into three portions.  She got the fruit out of the fridge and the chocolate out of the pantry. Mixing everything in the three bowls, she made the pancakes in a matter of minutes. Youngjae got orange juice and milk out while Jongup took the syrup and butter to the table. Zelo grabbed the plates from the table and gave it to Byunni to stack the pancakes. The three boys sat at the table and waited for their friend to finish making breakfast. “Orders up! Bananas for Youngjae. Blueberry for Jongup. And Chocolate Chip for Zelo.”

“Gomawo Byunni-ah!” Youngjae smiled before he dug into his plate.

“Gomawo noona!” The two younger chimed before eating theirs.

Byunni went back into the kitchen and made the side dishes of eggs and sausage. She made her plate of toast and brought everything out to the table. Just when she was about to sit down, the phone rang. She immediately ran over and picked it up.

“Yeoboseyo? This is the Song’s residence.”

“Byunni-ah? Is that you?”

“Umma?” Byunni questioned and the boys immediately stopped eating and watched the girl speak on the phone.

“It’s so nice to hear from you! How have you’ve been lately?”

“I’m doing okay. How’s your trip?”

“It’s splendid! We met the nicest people and they have an amazing son. He’ll be the best husband and the best son in law. I can’t wait for you to meet him. We’ll be home in a month.”

“Umma! I’m only 19!”

“Age is nothing but a number sweetheart. You’ll find him charming. I have to go now. See you soon baby.” With that, Byunni’s mother hung up on her. Byunni sighed and hung the phone back to the receiver.

“Noona, what’s wrong?” Jongup asked as he grabbed another sausage link.

“Ani, nothing’s wrong.” Byunni took her seat and looked at her food. “I’m not really hungry anymore…”

“Okay, something’s wrong. What did your mother tell you?” Youngjae questioned.

“I’m fine, really I am.”

“Song Byunni. I have known you since we were in kindergarden, now tell what is wrong with you or I will poor syrup in your hair.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I don’t know Byunni. You should know better than anyone that I would.”

“Araso.” Byunni forced a laugh out before telling everyone what her mother had said on the phone.

“Bwoh?!” The three gawked at the girl.

“I think this is the first moment where I want you to date Daehyun.” Youngjae commented.

“I can’t either way. He’s ‘dating’ Yunhee.”

“That’s not true. We found out yesterday that he likes noona.” Zelo smiled.

“I guess… But I can’t do anything if my parents are planning an arranged marriage. I don’t even know him. It’s not fair.” Byunni sulked.

“Don’t worry noona. Everything will work out in the end. I just know it will.” Jongup’s words gave Byunni hope.

“Thanks guys. Let’s finish breakfast and we can continue that movie you guys fell asleep to last night.” Byunni frowned again but started to the breakfast she made.

“There’s the Byunni we all know and love.” Youngjae smiled before he scarfed down another pancake.

 

 

 

[At Daehyun’s House]

Daehyun sighed as he got up from his bed. Normal teens would get to sleep in on a saturday, but Daehyun wasn’t a normal teen. He had to get up early and get to work so he could help his mother pay rent. It was hard living the way he did, but he managed. He got dressed and kissed his mother goodbye after their morning breakfast.

Ten minutes after the boy left, Yunhee stopped by the house with one of her servants. He was bigger than the average man and carried a briefcase. Yunhee politely knocked on the door and waited for Daehyun’s mother to answer.

“Annyeonghaseyo. I’m sorry, but may I ask who are you?” The mother asked politely.

“Joesonghamnida Ummoni. I’m Daehyun’s friend from school.”

“Ah. I’m sure my Daehyunnie is getting along with you okay. I hope he isn’t causing too much trouble.”

“Aniya. He’s doing very well. I came here to ask you something.”

“What is it sweetie?”

“I want your permission to date Daehyun-ssi. I won’t take no for an answer and prepared payments for your agreement.” Yunhee signaled her servant and he opened up the briefcase, revealing stacks of money.

“Joesonghamnida. That is not my decision to make. You should be asking my Daehyunnie for permission like that. I will not force him to date a girl he doesn’t like and if you went through all this to get my son to date you, then he must’ve said no already. I’m sorry sweetie, but I must reject your offer. Have a nice day.”

Before she could step inside again, Yunhee shouted out, “You live like this and you dare to refuse a money offer this big?!”

“I am assuming you come from a wealthy family and you grew up with everything that you wanted. Am I correct?”

“Yeah so?”

“I choose to live like this because I have a son to be proud of and I know he wouldn’t want me to stoop this low to earn money when we are happy the way we are. This must’ve been the reason why he didn’t want to date a rich selfish, snobby girl like you. Have a good day.” Daehyun’s mother shook her head and shut the door before Yunhee could say anymore.

Yunhee was fuming now. She just got lectured by a poor person and not just any poor person; she was the mother of her newest target. Yunhee had never received a ‘no’ in her life and it wasn’t a pleasant feeling. She stomped off with her servant and stayed quiet the whole way home. If it’s the last thing I do, I will tear Byunni and Daehyun apart. Just wait and see.

[At the Café]

Daehyun came in just as scheduled as Hyosung and Jieun were writing today’s specials on the chalkboard outside. Yongguk was preparing the dishes and brews while Sunhwa and Hana were cleaning the tables. Himchan and Byunni were nowhere to be found. Ignoring that two of them were missing, Daehyun quickly changed in the back room before helping Yongguk with the treat display.

“Hyosung sunbae, where’s Himchan sunbae and Byunni?” Daehyun asked.

“First off, it’s noona, oppa, unnie, and/or hyung in this café. Byunni only calls Yongguk and Himchan sunbae because she’s, well, Byunni. I’ve told her countless times but she refuses to call them oppa. Secondly, Himchan is on a trip and Byunni said she’ll be coming in at 3.”

“Araso. Gomawo noona.”

“No problem. At least you listen to me.” Hyosung smiled before continuing to help Jieun.

The day went on normally like it usually did. However, since it was Saturday, a lot more students came in during their free time while others brought in their books to study or just to relax and read a nice story. Eventually 3 O’clock rolled around and Byunni arrives like Hyosung said. Daehyun instantly smiled seeing the girl. However, he had noticed that Byunni wasn’t smiling like she usually did; Byunni was still upset about her talk with her mother this morning.

Daehyun followed the girl to the back until the door was shut, he knew that Byunni was changing and didn’t want to barge in. He waited outside until the door opened up.

“Byunni… Gwenchana?”

“Oh Daehyun Oppa. Neh, waeyo?”

“Well… You’re not smiling like your usual self. I got kind of worried something happened.”

“Oh. Thank you, but everything is fine… I guess.”

“That doesn’t assure me what so ever in any way possible.”

“It’s really nothing. Let’s get back to work.”

“Wait…” Daehyun stopped the girl as she passed by. Byunni turned and looked at him questioningly. “I’ve been thinking about this a lot and I know Yunhee is going to make a lot of trouble but I really like you Byunni. I’m not dating Yunhee nor do I ever want to date her. Byunni, is it possible for you to be my girlfriend? I know I’m not like everyone else at school but I’m willing…” The boy was cut off with a simple kiss on the cheek.

“I know it’ll be troublesome, especially you being new around here. However, I’m willing to give it a shot. So yes, I would love to be your girlfriend.” For the first time today, Byunni genuinely smiled.

 “You mean it?” Daehyun asked the girl after he had asked her out.

“Of course, I really like you too. It’s weird for me to say so cause I never really liked another guy…” Byunni blushed at her confession.

“Chinja?! But you’re so kindhearted and pretty.”

“Well the guys at school are always saying that but I never got to know them personally to think about dating… There was Youngjae Oppa, but he’s too much of brother for me to even think that we would date.”

“I guess so. Anyway, thank you for giving me a chance. I’ll make sure you won’t regret it. Let’s try to survive Yunhee-ssi together.” Byunni nodded.

“Yah! What are you two doing? Hurry and get back to work.” Hyosung called from the end of hall and the two laughed before heading back to work.

During work, the two kept stealing glances at each other which didn’t go unnoticed by the other staff. Girls came in looking at how perfect Daehyun was. Since Yunhee wasn’t anywhere in sight, they used their time to look at the sweet eye candy. The guys that came in followed suit with Byunni. Like Daehyun said, Byunni was always kindhearted and very pretty which attracted more attention to her than Yunhee.

When it was closing time, Jieun and Hana prepared the menu for the following day as Yongguk and Sunhwa cleaned the remaining tables. Daehyun and Byunni were left on dish duty. Everything was going well until Daehyun started splashing water at the girl.

“Yah!” Byunni laughed as she shouted and splashed water right back. Daehyun laughed with her and went back to scrubbing. Byunni grabbed a handful of the foamy bubbles and tapped Daehyun’s face. When he turned to her, Byunni burst into laughter at the sight of the bearded boy. Daehyun frowned before wiping some of the foam into Byunni’s hair.

“Wow. Byunni ahjumma. Man time does fly by.” Daehyun laughed. Byunni stopped laughing and soon enough a whole water fight broke out between the two. The others looked at the two.

“Unnie, aren’t you going to stop them?” Jieun poked at Hyosung.

“Let them have fun. It’s been awhile since I saw Byunni that happy.” Hyosung smiled at the younger.

“But what about Himchan?”

“If he’s willing to go far enough… He might have already won this battle.” Hyosung sighed at the mention of their good friend. “The things people do for love.”

“All is fair in love and war.” Yongguk commented as he brought the dishes to the other two.

“You guys better clean up your mess.” Hyosung called.

“Neh!” The new couple called and seriously got back to work.