Donghae and Yoona

Miss Interpreter

 

D O N G H A E

The man at the boat house mentioned that there’d be some kind of storm. But I wasn’t listening, my mind being too focused on the goal to get to that island.

Now, I stood alone at the deck – drenched in rain. My hair fell in front of my eyes like seaweed. My face was sprayed with water and I could practically taste the salt from the ocean.

The waves were like ghost hands  - their fingers reaching up to the deck, wanting to get in, wanting to topple the boat over.

The boat rocked back and forth and a thin layer of water and foam was beginning to form on the floor.

I squinted but I couldn’t see where I was. There was nothing around me but deep, dark grayness and water streaking down at a hundred miles per hour. I held the walkie talkie in one hand and repeatedly shouted for help. My other arm was wrapped around the helm.

“SOS!” I yelled into the walkie talkie. On the panel, the GPS machine the boat came equipped with blinked at me unresponsively.

I felt alone and cut off from any help I could get.

I never felt more scared in my life.

~~~

Y O O N A

In my dream, I was at the seashore. It was dark, scary and raining. The wind groaned as it bent the trees with surprising strength. The sky would be illuminated by hot, white flashes of lightning before drowning in the roar of the thunder.

For some reason, I was standing still – as if I was unaffected by all this. In one hand, I held a lantern. Somehow, the light it was emitting was unusually bright and strong.

Slowly, I lifted the lantern up.

~~~

D O N G H A E

I was certain I was going to die any moment now.

The boat rocked back and forth and tipped from side to side, nauseating me. I slid on the floor for the hundredth time and moaned as I banged my head on the wood. I mustered all of my remaining strength as I grabbed onto the railing to pull myself up.

I was going to die.

I thought of all the unfinished business I had here on earth. Back home, my brother and mother await my return. In Seoul, SUJU and the rest of the team are probably waiting for me to come back so we could finish recording our songs for our 5th album.  All over the world, my fans are waiting for the album release.

What would happen if I suddenly die?

At least I get to be with Dad and Yoona.

The thought comforted me despite the graveness of the situation I was in.

I was still holding onto the railing, trying to keep the wind from pushing me off balance, when I saw the light.

~~~

Y O O N A

In the distance, through the downpour and the fog, I could see a boat approaching. I felt myself being pulled into that boat until its wooden exterior was inches away from my face. Then, I saw a figure sprawled against the railing.

It was Donghae.

I was about to shout his name when I felt myself being pulled back. I was now at the seashore again, and the lantern was still in my hand.

I lifted it up, shouted and waved at the boat.

~~~

D O N G H A E

In the distance, there was light.

I’ve heard many stories that this was the last thing people saw before they die. A bright, white light.

Oh, Lord. You’ve come to get me.

I trudged back to the helm and tried to steer the boat toward the light. That’s when I started hearing voices.

“Donghae! Donghae! Over here!” It was Yoona’s voice and it seemed as if it was magnified a thousand times so I could hear it clearly over the rain and the thunder.

Over here! Hurry!”

I tried to start the boat’s machine, but its propellers were struggling against the waves. It was useless. Still, I went on with it. I wanted to get to that light. I wanted to get to Yoona.

The light was becoming much brighter and brighter now.

Then, suddenly, a wave rose behind me and towered like a big, blue giant…

~~~

Y O O N A

I saw the wave that pushed the boat to the shore. I watched as the boat approach me – slowly at first, then quickly, like a train. I wanted to run out of the way, but I couldn’t move. Up until now, I could still feel the weight and the intensity of that impact. I could still feel the boat crash into me and jolt me awake.

~~~

Author's Note: I really have no knowledge when it comes to boats so please forgive my inaccuracies. Anyway, please don't miss the last chapter.

I'm going to post it this Saturday.