The King and Hyoyeon

Miss Interpreter

 T H E   K I N G

I was in my office when the call came.

When I saw who it was on the mobile phone screen, I hastily dropped the stack of papers I had been holding and answered right away.

“Nurse Hyoyeon? Is everything alright?” I forgot to greet properly.

“Your Majesty, sir,” Hyoyeon’s voice trembled. “Her highness collapsed just a moment ago. We are now at Saint Genesius’ Hospital. Please come as soon as you can. Dr. Hyun wants to talk to you.”

I said goodbye and as quickly as I can, I rushed to my daughter.

~~~

This was the first time I didn’t check if my car doors were locked because as soon as I got into the hospital parking lot, I hurried into the institution, past the lobby and into the elevator.

I read, for the second time, the text message the nurse sent me.

We are in Room 2203.

I tapped my foot impatiently. I wanted to get there now. There were so many questions running through my mind – so many questions I wanted to ask. Why had my daughter collapsed? Are the drugs working? Why did this have to happen to my daughter? Where did I go wrong in raising her? Is she going to die soon? Please, Lord. Don’t take my daughter away from me. You already took my wife away. Why do you have to take my daughter as well?

It was a good thing I was in the elevator alone and my face was turned away from the security camera. It isn’t a good thing to see the King of a nation crying his heart out like I did at that moment. I couldn’t help it. Even though I was a grown man, I was nothing next to the juggernaut of pain and fear that was mercilessly tramping upon all that I hold dear.

~~~

H Y O Y E O N

His highness arrived quicker than we expected. He came from the elevator, managing to walk in that dignified manner the monarchs were taught to embody since birth. Still, his red eyes betrayed him. He’d been crying.

He stopped suddenly when he saw the foreigner.

“Oh, you’re here,” The King spattered, pointing a finger at Donghae.

“Sir, I’m sorry,” the Korean spoke up. If the King’s eyes were the standard shade of red, Lee Donghae’s eyes were a thousand shades deeper than that. It wasn’t just his eyes too. His nose, his cheeks – they were all edematous and erythematous (that’s how we say swollen and reddened).

The foreigner stood up and bowed about a hundred times before sitting back down to continue his sob-fest. I couldn’t blame him. Despite the short time I had spent with the princess, I had to keep myself from shedding a tear. I guess I wasn’t as desensitized as I thought I was.

His majesty just nodded and at once, he looked for Dr. Hyun, and as if answering his question, the physician emerged from Her Highness’ room. He was met by the brother, the idol, the king.

“Tell me, is she alright? Are the drugs working?” asked the king.

“Is she awake?” asked the pop-star.

“Can I please talk to my sister?” added Yoseob. He’d been crying too, making him resemble a toddler who just threw a tantrum.

“Whoa, whoa, one question at a time,” the doctor waved his hands in front of him. “Her vital signs are normal as of now, but…”

He gave the King a look that said, “Dude, we need to talk.”

The King followed the doctor out of there and before, we could stop him, Lee Donghae followed as well.

“Your friend’s dedicated,” I observed as I watched the dancer disappear around the corner.

Hyukjae smiled. “I’d be like that, too, if someone I love is involved.”

~~~~

T H E   K I N G

“Sir, we are suspecting that her medication may not be as effective as we expected it to be,” Dr. Hyun explained.

The drugs weren’t working.

I choked. “Is there any other way? Are there any alternatives?”

I noticed that the Korean Idol was standing next to me, listening. I would’ve reprimanded him if he only didn’t show that concerned look on his face.

Dr. Hyun slowly shook his head.

“It doesn’t matter how expensive it is,” the foreigner cut in. “I’ll pay for it.”

He sounded as desperate as I was. As I looked at him, I hoped this wasn’t just an infatuation. I hoped he was truly as concerned as he looked.

“I’m sorry, both of you,” the doctor replied, avoiding our gazes. “But all that we can do is hope that this is just a temporary letdown and the drug will work soon.”

So we just have to pray that it’ll rebound.

I found myself trembling. I have all the money in the world. I have all the power one man could ask for. Yet, at this time, I felt so helpless. I couldn’t do anything to help save my daughter.

I sank down to the nearest chair and pretty soon, the tears that I’d been attempting to hold were bursting from my eyes. I was crying uncontrollably.

The Korean idol sat down and cried with me.

~~~

H Y O Y E O N

“I’m pretty good at krumping. Started practicing when I was nine,” Hyukjae was saying when His Majesty and Donghae returned. They looked more desolate than they did when they left. The doctor turned to me and asked how Yoona was.

“I checked her vital signs exactly ten minutes ago,” I answered and referred to my clipboard. “Pulse rate, respiratory rate and blood pressure are normal. Her temperature is a pushing towards high, though, at 37.9 degrees Celsius. She’s still unresponsive to voice and touch. IV fluid is at 500cc level…”

“Unresponsive? Would it be bad if I try talking to her? Maybe she’ll awaken to my voice.” the King inquired.

“You can try, Sir.” the doctor answered. I could tell that he was tired. “But make sure you wash your hands. And make it quick, too.”

“Can I go too?” Donghae asked the doctor and the doctor turned to the king who turned to Donghae. Finally, after a moment, His Majesty nodded.

~~~

T H E   K I N G

I couldn’t bear to see my daughter lying in that bed, with so many things hooked to her. A small monitor to her right showed numbers that determined her status. Her eyes were closed and her hair was disarrayed. The tears were returning.

“Y-yoona, sweetie? Daddy’s here,” I said softly as I walked towards her. Donghae went ahead and pulled out a chair for me to sit on.

“Yoona? Can you hear me? Please open your eyes, my daughter,” I pleaded and squeezed her hand gently.

We waited but Yoona continued to sleep peacefully.

“Sir?” Donghae asked quietly. “What’s Yoona’s favorite song?”

“Well…” I thought for a moment. I didn’t understand why this young man would ask me such a question at this time. Why is he only getting to know my daughter now? And why ask me? But I thought there’s no harm in answering so I said, “As a child, she always liked to sing along to 'You’ll Be In My Heart' by Phil Collins. Actually, that’s the song her mother and I used to sing to her in the morning.”

Donghae nodded. “Your Highness King, sir. Maybe we should sing that to her now. Maybe she’ll wake up.”

“Alright,” I said, thinking that we wouldn’t lose anything by doing just that.

Come stop your crying,” Donghae began in his youthful voice. “It will be alright.”

“Just take my hand,” I continued and held on to my daughter’s hand. “Hold it tight. I will protect you from all around you…”

And now, we sang together – our desperate, pleading voices blending together. “I will be here, don’t you cry.”

“For one so small, you seem so strong,” I remembered how tiny my daughter used to be as I held her in my arms a long time ago. “My arms will hold you keep you safe and warm.”

This bond between us can’t be broken. I will be here, don’t you cry,” Donghae took over. “Cause you’ll be in my heart.”

“Yes, you’ll be in my heart,” I pushed a strand of hair away from Yoona’s face.

Once again, the young man and I sang together. “From this day on, now and forever more.”

The numbers on the monitor next to Yoona suddenly changed. Then, we watched in pure amazement as her eyes slowly opened.

~~~

Author's Note: I'm sorry if this is turning into a musical with all the songs I'm putting in. Haha! Anyway, if you didn't know alread, "You'll Be In My Heart" is from the Disney movie Tarzan. It's a really sweet, soulful song. Click here to listen to it.