Yoona and Donghae

Miss Interpreter

 

Y O O N A

A vacation with dad. Perfect. This is exactly what I need.

For some reason, I hadn’t been feeling well for the last couple of days. I couldn’t explain the sensation clearly. Let me just say that it’s like waking up and wanting to go back to sleep again because my dreams, as hazy as they are, seem to be much better than reality.

I put my hands on my hips as I studied the luggage bag on the floor. It was stuffed with only the bare necessities: my facial wash, a toothbrush, a toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner (2 in 1 because I didn’t want to bring two separate bottles), towels, underwear and clothes that would last for three days (completely consisting of t-shirts and jeans).

“I wonder if I forgot anything,” I said out loud, scratching my chin.

“A dress,” It was father. He stood outside my room and gave me a warm smile. “We will be attending a special occasion and it would be nice if you’d look nice.”

“Oh, of course,” I smiled back and went through my closet at once. “By the way, Dad. Do you know where we’re going?”

“Some country in Asia,” came my father’s reply.

My heart began to beat faster. I left the closet door open and stepped out into the main hallway. “Dad, is it by any chance Korea?”

“No. I don’t think that’s it,” my father looked up at me inquiringly. “Why?”

“Nothing,” I mumbled, went back to my room and packed up with less enthusiasm.

~~~

D O N G H A E

“For the last time, Lee Donghae, Super Junior M will not hold a concert in Dokbayo,” our manager slammed his fist on the table. “What is wrong with you anyway? I’ve gotten reports from the staff that you are not performing at your best. Are you ill?”

I shook my head and returned the topic back to the concert. “Why not? We need to extend our fanbase to that country. Almost every other Asian country is aware of K-pop. It’s time to introduce it to Dokbayo.”

Manager Kim sighed. “Donghae, didn’t you read up on your geography? Dokbayo is a secluded kingdom. Secluded meaning isolated and isolated meaning they don’t want any material entering their country without being filtered by the government. Is that clear to you?”

The manager did not wait for my answer. He immediately stood up and walked towards the door, but before he left, he turned around to face me one last time. “If you’re not ill, then I don’t want to hear any complaints from the staff. It’s either you perform at 100% or you don’t perform at all.”

I didn’t know how long I’ve been sitting around at that conference room before Eunhyuk walked in holding a bag of Meiji Chocolates. “Sup, Hae? How’d your meeting with the manager go?”

“He rejected my proposal,” I said, turning towards the window.

Eunhyuk pulled out a chair across from me, sat on it and leaned forward. “Of course he’d reject it, you dummy. Why would Super Junior M hold a concert at a country where no one knows who we are? Don’t you think it’s a good idea to send pictures first before appearing in person?”

I chuckled. “What is this? Are we pen-pals with the Dokbayonese? I believe that if we come there personally, there would be a bigger impact.”

“Expand our fan-base. Reach out to more people in need of role models,” a smug grin found itself on Eunhyuk’s face. “Tell me the truth, Hae. These are not the reason why you want to return to that island. Am I right?”

I looked away from him, annoyed.

“You want to see her again. Am I right?” Eunhyuk leaned closer.

I knitted my brows.

“You want to see her standing in the crowd, waving at you, smiling at you, screaming out your name,” Eunhyuk paused and took a deep breath. “Am I right?”

“She’s not the kind of girl who’d do that, anyway,” I snapped back, irritated.

“Am I right?” Eunhyuk sang out then laughed when I raised my fist at him. I stood up and headed towards the door.

“Come on. We still have to practice for that Global Friendship Day Concert next week,” I reminded him. Eunhyuk stood up and gave me a knowing smile because he knew he was right.