Donghae

Miss Interpreter

 

Author’s Note: Wow, it looks like Hae being fired triggered different reactions from everyone! Some were sad and some were happy. Honestly, I, too, wouldn’t know how to react if this really was the case!

@fallen_angel – Don’t worry. This isn’t real. Hae’s probably not on the cover of the magazine because he’s still filming for his drama. That's why Siwon probably isn't on the cover either. In this fic, the filming took place earlier. So by now, they are done with it.

~~~

D O N G H A E

So many things happened today. I don’t know exactly where to start.

Alright, I’ll start from the moment I woke up.

The moment I woke up, I looked around me for a full ten minutes. I was in my room again. The walls, the door, the ancient posters of soccer teams I hanged up – they were still there. I noticed that the ceiling was squeaky clean and there were no cobwebs or dust hanging around. Mom probably cleaned it up the moment she knew I was coming home.

I lay there, reminiscing, delving into sweet and humorous memories of the past when I suddenly realized that today was the day.

That’s right.

Today was the day I was going to propose to Yoona.

I thought about it over and over. Nobody knows if the medicine Yoona is taking will work. Nobody knows if she’s going to recover or not. So I want to make the most of my time with her. With Yoona, it’s never too early to get married.

Because nobody knows when she’d leave us.

For good.

I stuck my hand underneath my pillow and felt for the small box. Sitting up, I carefully opened it and admired the diamond ring inside. It caught the rays of the morning sun and glimmered shyly. It was beautiful, but compare to the person who’d soon wear it, its beauty was nothing.

After I washed up, I tiptoed towards Yoona’s bedroom. I wanted to watch her sleep, but as I peeked in, my jaw almost fell. Her bed was empty. My heart started to race. Where’d she go? Is she alright? Did anything happen overnight?

I was about to call my brother when suddenly…

“BOO!” Someone poked my back.

I let out a small yelp and wheeled around. Yoona was standing there with her hands on her waist. She was dressed already. And she looked like a goddess. She was wearing the pink Louis Vuitton blouse that I bought her and a white skirt that stopped above her knees. Her hair was neatly placed in a bun and defiant strands of hair framed her perfect egg-shaped face. Her doe eyes were looking at me playfully.

I guess I was just gaping at her for who knows how long because she began to turn pink.

“You said we’re going to a fancy restaurant,” she grumbled and marched away.

“Yeah,” My eyes followed her until she disappeared around the corner. I said fancy restaurant. I didn’t say heaven. Yoona, you are an angel.

~~~

The restaurant was called The Alcove. My dad used to take the family here whenever it was someone’s birthday. It was because the manager of the place was his high school friend. Looking around the polished exterior or the establishment, I can’t help but miss my father. I wish he were alive now. I’m sure he’d love Yoona as much.

“Table for two please,” I told the waitress. She guided us into the balcony where there were white tables with umbrellas attached to them and a pair of French chairs. The restaurant was located on a hilltop and its terrace overlooked the endless blue of the ocean. It was breathtaking.

We took our seats and browsed through the menu.

“What’s this?” Yoona pointed at a picture of breaded fish.

I realized just now that she couldn’t read the menu since it’s in Hangul. “That’s Saeng Sun Jun. It’s fried fish and it tastes really awesome. But here, you can also try this.”

We spent a while looking over the menu. She just nodded excitedly as I described each dish to her.

“You might find it spicy, but it’s worth a try,” I said after describing ojinguhbokkeum.

“I think I’ll settle for the barbecue,” she said. “You said it isn’t as spicy as the others right?”

“Yeah, but come on,” I pointed out. “We are at a seafood restaurant. Aren’t you going to order something from the sea?”

Yoona narrowed her brows angrily and puffed out her cheeks. She just looked so adorable I had to laugh.

“What are you laughing at?” she asked irritably.

“You just looked cute, that’s all,” I said, clutching my stomach. “Hey, I’m sorry. You can have anything you want.”

“I’ll let you choose for me,” she replied, calming down and smiling. “If it doesn’t taste good, I’m going to kick you off this balcony.”

Still fierce and tough. I grinned. “No way that’s going to happen. Food in Mokpo is the best!”

~~~

After we finished our meal, I called the waiter so I could pay for the bill.

“And please have this table cleaned up, pour us some wine and serve us slices of cheesecake,” I told him in Korean.

I guess the waiter caught on to what I was planning because not only did they do all of the above. They also put a couple of roses on the table and even got a guy to play his violin not too far away. You got to love this place.

“H-hey, what’s going on?” Yoona finally asked after she watched the waiter sprinkle some rose petals on the table before serving the cheesecake.

“They’re making this place much prettier,” I answered. “Just so it will match your beauty.”

Yoona raised her fist at me. “Flatterers go to hell, you know. Tell me!”

“You really want to know?” I teased.

She slowly lowered her fist and nodded.

“Yoona, do you remember when you told me to follow you the first day we met?” I asked.

“Hm,” she thought about it for a moment. “You asked me where the subway was, right?”

“Ever since you told me that, I couldn’t stop following you,” I continued. “And I guess I’ll never be able to stop following you even though we may be miles – worlds­ – apart.”

I stood up and at that moment, the violinist changed the song to one I was clearly familiar with. It was Marry U by Super Junior. The people in this restaurant pick up way faster than a wreck train.

“Yoona, I want to stop following you. I want to walk next to you,” I knelt on one knee before the beautiful woman – the princess – in front of me. I watched as her eyes widened in shock and as her hands flew to . I was holding the small gray box behind me, and in one dashing motion, I whipped it out in front of her. “For better or for worse, for richer, for poorer in sickness or in health…”

We were both tearing up.

“Yoona, I want to be with you,” I looked up at her. “Will you marry me?”

She was crying and nodding at the same time so I stood up and embraced her.

~~~

We barely recovered from that very emotional moment when my phone rang. I glanced at the screen.

Leeteuk?

Did something happen?

“Yoboseyeo?” I picked up. “Hyung, is everything alright?”

“Hae, where are you?” Leeteuk sounded like he gained twenty pounds overnight. “I’m not supposed to tell you this, but the rest of the boys decided that we should let you know.”

“What is it?” I asked anxiously.

You know how they say that for every good, there is bad? That for every laugh, there are tears to follow? That for every ray of sunshine, there are shadows. I guess that’s how it really is because the next words that left Leeteuk’s mouth hit me hard. “Once you come back after your three-day vacation, Manager Kim will tell you that you’ve been fired by SM Ent!”