(Useless) Worries

3 Ways [Hiatus]

 

>_____<;;

Namjoo turned to look at the door when it opened and watched Luhan walk in. Giving him a smile she tugged on the towel draped around her shoulders.

“Do angels ever get tired?” Namjoo asked rubbing her feet against the ground as he sat beside her.

“Sometimes.”

“Then that’s a yes,” Namjoo said turning to look at him, “do they also have feelings like us?”

“I have feelings.”

A smile etched her face as she reached a hand up to run it along his hair. Namjoo closed her eyes as she felt his nose brush against her face while he kissed her. This touch and this feeling was so familiar. She’d longed for it and she’d missed it unknowingly, and not until now had she experienced it again. But she didn’t know which kiss would be the last one now. She didn’t want to know when his last day would have to be.

A weight of regret weighed itself in her heart when they pulled away from each other and Namjoo blinked back tears before smiling at him.

“Do you want to go take a walk outside?” he asked and Namjoo nodded in reply.

Tightly holding hands they walked closely under the stars that had suddenly appeared. This was nice. Namjoo really liked being with him like this. She grabbed his arm with her free hand and slightly leaned against him.

“We walked like this once,” Namjoo reminisced, “so long ago.”  

Luhan lowered his head and smiled.

“Namjoo, lets make new memories,” he said.

“It would have been nice if we had a family of our own.”

“It would have been nice, but it doesn’t matter anymore.”

“Can’t you…take me with you?” Namjoo stopped and turned to look at him.

She met with his sorrowful eyes, but he didn’t say anything for a minute. Her heart wept in silence knowing he wouldn’t.

“There’s an open chapel up ahead, want to go sit inside?” Namjoo asked.

Upon his nod she led him across the street to a tall white chapel. A large tower with a golden bell hanging inside resided at the top of the building when they neared. The yard was empty, but a lamp had been above the door. They passed two angels with palms pressed together and enclosed wings standing on opposite ends of the staircase before Namjoo pushed open the heavy wooden door. Luhan ran his eyes over the statues before following her lead.   

“My grandma used to bring us here for mass every Sunday,” Namjoo explained, “but we stopped coming after mom died. I used to come alone and sit by the altar at night.”

Then she turned to give him a smile before leading him toward the pews up front. Their steps softly echoed throughout the whole building as they walked along the soft red carpet. They sat beside each other at the front facing the podium and the empty stage. The large wooden crucifix nailed to the wall loomed over them as they sat there quietly as if it were guarding them.

Namjoo stared at the grand piano sitting by the wall and turned to look at Luhan with a smile. Tears sparkled in her eyes and she tightened her grip on his hand.

“You used to cry here.” Luhan said.

When Namjoo turned to look at him he purposely stared straight ahead as if he didn’t notice.

“And you thought you were alone,” the words came slowly and Namjoo felt memories pierce her heart.

“I will be,” Namjoo lowered her head, “when you leave me again.”

He finally turned to look at her with a soft smile, “No you won’t. The one tied to you is someone more capable than I could ever be. He won’t hurt you the way I do.”

Namjoo turned away. “You talk about it like you don’t even care.”

“Don’t cry. Namjoo, learn to be happy.”

“I’m not,” she turned to him and pulled on a smile.

He also smiled and rubbed his thumb over the side of her face. 

“I really don’t want it to be this way.” Namjoo felt her voice shake.

“Me too.” His voice was quiet.

“Is it possible for you to be mine the next lifetime?”

He only smiled at her and Namjoo had no choice, but to continue smiling. Once her lips started quivering she quickly said, “I’m going to go outside for some fresh air.”

Letting go of his hand she turned around and walked down the long aisle before she stopped outside. Namjoo heaved a few deep breaths to steady her emotions, but the tears were already seeping out of her eyes. Honestly, she was so sad she couldn’t bear it anymore. With a sob she crouched down and hugged herself.

>_____<;;

Luhan turned as Namjoo hurried passed him and lowered his head. His insides were tearing themselves apart. The emotions were too much for him to handle. He was so sorry for making Namjoo go through this kind of experience again. She would have it hardest, but at least she wouldn’t be alone and he’d put his hope on that. This time, Namjoo had family and someone else waiting for her.

Clasping his hands together he leaned forward and closed his eyes to pray. If miracles really existed, he’d want stories to change and be the one that held the end of that red string that belonged to Namjoo. And after he left this time, he wished Namjoo would finally be able to find peace with herself and allow herself to be happy.

He sat in the chapel for a few minutes and cried to himself wondering if he’d done the right thing by choosing to appear. Had he ruined her chances for a better life? Would Namjoo have been happier without having seen him? But even so, he’d missed her so much he couldn’t help himself. Luhan had really wanted to be by her side again. Why wasn’t he allowed to stay?

After calming himself he finally left the pew and slowly trudged toward the door. Peeking outside he discovered Namjoo sitting on the steps.

“The stars are really pretty tonight,” Namjoo said when she noticed his presence.

Luhan sat beside her and ran his hand through her hair. “Are you tired?”

“No.”

Namjoo grabbed his hand again when he sat beside her and they sat like that for a long hour before Luhan finally got up.

“I’ll carry you back.”

“You’ll just tire yourself out,” Namjoo turned away.

“It’s a once in a lifetime chance,” he smiled hoping to catch her attention.

She scowled at him before obliging. Luhan could feel her jump on his back and wrap her arms around him as he started back toward the house.

“I like your back.” Namjoo’s voice became muffled as she leaned against his shoulder.

Luhan slightly laughed and said, “I like your back too.”

And he could see her smiling against his shoulder dreamily.

“Will you still be here by morning?” Namjoo asked.

“I’ll be here,” he promised.

“Good.”

And he wanted to keep carrying her forever.

>_____<;;

“You’re always up early nowadays,” Victoria commented as she walked through the kitchen doorway. “Is Namjoo up?”

“Don’t think so,” Chorong replied from the kitchen table, “I think she went out last night. I heard the door open in the middle of the night.”

“Just enjoy your date today. Heading out at noon?” Victoria poured herself a cup of coffee.

“Supposedly,” Chorong blankly replied. “I’m nervous. What do we do on dates?”

Victoria let out a laugh amused, “Why are you asking me? I’m not a pro at this. I have nothing to teach you.”

“Oh yea, I suddenly remember you’ve had no interested in men before. At least not after your boyfriend’s ex threw water on you.”

“I’ll kill you for that!” Victoria tossed her fist up into the air.

“Then what about the one night stand incident?” Chorong asked. “There must have been something full of longing inside you.”

Chorong laughed to herself before Victoria tossed a bag of bread at her.

“Shut up!” Victoria scolded.

Chorong laughed teasingly again. “It’s ok Victoria, don’t get so worked up. We’re all people with hormones.”

“Oh really? Then I hope your hormones start getting worked up on this date of yours,” Victoria retaliated, “or better yet, if Suho’s does.” Then she let out a loud laugh, “Ha! It’d be kind of amusing to see you pinning him down.”

Chorong shot her a stark frown as she walked out of the kitchen.

“Ugh…now I have a splitting headache,” Victoria muttered before grabbing her bag by the door and picked up her keys. “I’m heading out!”

>_____<;;

As time drew nearer Chorong became more anxious. What was the date going to be like? Suho said they were doing anything she liked, but what did she like? Why was he putting her in charge of the plans? She hadn’t gone a date ever in her whole life and she needed serious advice. She couldn’t interrupt Luhan and Namjoo’s time together without feeling guilty.

She paced back and forth downstairs stopping every few minutes to look at her watch. Suho would be there in two hours and she still hadn’t a thing prepared. Did she need to dress up? Put some make up on and try to look nice for once? But was it really required? It was just a casual date, right?

Chorong stopped and slightly pounded her head against the wall flustered.

“What are you doing?” Namjoo’s voice stopped her from the top of the stairs.

Chorong turned to see Luhan standing behind her before deciding to just go for it.

“I’m stealing my sister for a second,” Chorong told Luhan before running up the stairs to grab Namjoo’s hand and pulled her after her.

Once the door to her bedroom was closed Chorong threw her hands to her sides.

“I don’t know what to do.”

“Huh?” Namjoo asked confused.

“I have a date!” Chorong almost shouted. “Earth to Namjoo, who’s a pro at this.”

“What? Me? Pro?” Namjoo pointed to herself before laughing. “No, no. I think you’ve confused me up with something here. I haven’t gone on that many dates.”

“Oh yes, you have,” Chorong’s voice rumbled.

Namjoo stared at her blankly before saying, “So what do you want me to do? Go on this date for you?”

“Ugh!” Chorong grumbled before totally dropping onto her bed. She started rolling and thrashing around after a few seconds before digging her blanket up underneath her chin. “No one’s helping me. Even Victoria is making fun of me.”

“So…what’s the problem?” Namjoo asked. “You need help deciding on what to wear or something?”

“Oh! I almost forgot about that!” Chorong immediately jumped to sit up. “Do I need to worry about that? Pretty myself up with makeup and all that?”

“Well it’s a date,” Namjoo slightly frowned and slowly nodded her head. “But you’re just getting to know each other so don’t overdo it.”

“Ok,” Chorong nodded. “Then what should I do?”

Namjoo blinked her eyes as if Chorong was asking a question that could be dealt with the common sense. Turning around Namjoo rummaged through her closet before picking out a nice blouse and pants to match with it.

“Something casual, I’m assuming your Suho will be dressed up to flatter you,” Namjoo told handing the clothes to Chorong who immediately stood to take them. “And some light makeup will do.”

Namjoo glanced around before looking at Chorong. “Anything else?”

“Um…well…he, like, said I should choose a place to go to after the movies or something,” Chorong started off calmly before panicking, “but I can’t think of anything!”

“Are you stupid?” Namjoo asked. “Just go to the park and walk around or something. You’re just getting to know each other, right? Do something simple, but if he likes you this much,” Namjoo put her thumb and forefinger to her chin, “then I think he’d have some kind of event planned.”

“Event?” Chorong’s eyes flung wide open.

Namjoo laughed and slapped her hands on her shoulders, “Just enjoy yourself. Have fun, since you usually don’t anyway.”

After Namjoo left her room Chorong quickly dressed and did her makeup. By the time she checked her watch almost an hour and a half had passed. She spent the next 20 minutes looking for shoes to match with her outfit and by the time she’d found something Namjoo came knocking at her door.

“What the heck are you doing!?” Namjoo questioned. “Suho’s already downstairs waiting for you.”

“Agh!” Chorong shouted before dropping onto her bed again. “I can’t do this. Go for me.”

“You’re kidding me, right?” Namjoo asked before pulling Chorong up. “Just go have fun. What are you worrying about?” Namjoo slightly angled her head before saying, “If you’re being this nervous you must have something for him.”

“What! No! It’s not like that.”

“Sure,” Namjoo agreed before pulling her out of the bedroom. “You’ll enjoy the date, trust me. Just let loose and you’ll find out you’re having fun too.”

“Are you sure? What if I do something stupid and he thinks I’m an idiot.”

“So you care what he thinks,” Namjoo eyed her before crossing her arms.

“Oh my god, I don’t know anymore,” Chorong turned away to gently slam her head against the wall. “I’ve never been on a date before, Namjoo. I don’t know how this stuff goes.”

“Go with the flow and learn,” Namjoo patted his back. “Don’t keep him waiting. That’ll embarrass you even more.”

“Ugh…gosh…” Chorong muttered before starting down the stairs. “You’re lucky you don’t even have to date your angel to know him.”

“Whatever,” Namjoo said following her down.

“I look ok?” Chorong turned to face Namjoo, who gave her a nod.

“Now go on!” Namjoo whispered.

Chorong heaved a deep breath before she turned toward the doors and opened it. Suho immediately turned around and Chorong saw that he’d gelled his hair up. He did look nice, maybe handsome and he’d put effort into dressing nice just as Namjoo had said. 

“Hi,” he greeted.

“Sorry, you didn’t wait long, right?” Chorong nervously asked.

“No,” he smiled in return. “You look nice.”

“Oh…” was all Chorong managed flustered. She always had no idea what to say in return. “You too.”

Suho slightly laughed, “Should we go?”

Chorong nodded and followed him to his car.