Chapter 20

I'm your nanny

“ What do you think?” asked Jessica, who opened the door. Jonghyun took a few seconds to digest it in.

“ It’s okay.” lied Jonghyun.

 

“ What do you mean it’s okay? It’s gorgeous! “ Jessica snapped defensively. 

" says you " Jonghyun pretened to look uninterested.

Turning 360 degrees to check herself, Jessica thought she looked perfect. “ If I were you I would choose me over sekyung anyday”

Hearing it, Jonghyun chuckled. Jessica could be so cute sometimes. 

“ What’s that flower doing on your head?” He questioned her, eyes fixed on the pastel pink and white flower that was clipped nicely on her head.

Jessica adjusted her hair almost immediately, taken aback by his rude comment. It’s a hair clip you stupid, and the last time I checked you actually like girls with flowers on their head!

“ You look like a rat”, he said flatly.

“ A rat? “ She repeated, affronted. “ I don’t look like a rat!”.

She glanced in the mirror for quick reassurance. No. I don’t look like a stupid dirty rat.

Well at least I don't look like a short hand T-Rex like you!" , she shot back at him.

Looking back at Jessica, Jonghyun didn't even look affected. “ Your weird hair puffs up like a homeless rat,” he said with a shrug. “ I’d rather look like a dinosaur than a rat”.

Wait a minute. Since when was it that dinosaurs are better than rats?! She didn’t even know how they got onto this weird conversation.

“ Just stop it okay?!” she snapped, with dignity. " I'll do something else with their hair but I'm taking this dress!".

As she closes the changing room door  she give one last glance in the mirror.

Okay, maybe I look a little like a rat.

" So what's the plan after this?" Jessica asked, as she changed out to her normal clothes. She was speaking a little louder than normal because Jonghyun had seemed to be walking away from the dressing room and his voice was getting more distanced. Could he be any more impatient? Can't he wait for a few minutes longer for her to change out before walking out of the store and leaving her to follow after him?

"  Not much but I was  thinking since we're out shopping already we should also get some new furnitures for you, you know don't waste the day. All those clothes of yours mulitply faster than fishes you know that right? There's not even enough space to fit all your bags and shoes already, let alone your clothes", Jonghyun replied as he signed on the bill that the salesgirl had brought to him. Even for a pretty dress like this, $1,500 seems pretty ridiculous.

" Oh in that case I better buy more clothes then!" Jessica echoed from the changing room. Jonghyun stared back with his eyes widened. 

As Jessica picked up her bags and walked to the cashier, Jonghyun swung a paper bag and hit it hard on her stomach.

Jessica flinched/. " OUCH"

" PLEASE treat me like a lady. Why are you being so childish!?" Jessica immediately snapped at him. But instead of sayign something mean back, Jonghyun just rolled his eyes and muttered after his breath, " so much for being nice to you".

Looking down, Jessica realized the paper infact, contained the beautiful $1,500 dress that she had tried on, wrapped up and paid for. It's not that Jonghyun was a stingy person, but for him to pay so much it would have to mean alot to him and most likely, paying for a dress didn't seem like something he would be willing to do. But before she could say anything, Jonghyun was already half way out the door. Now she really couldn't hold back her smile.

She could really see how much he was beginning to change, and that thought made her heart beat fast. Did he really just paid all that much for a dress that he thought was " just okay"? 

--

Three hours and many bags of clothes later, Jonghyun was tired. And he found himself now walking with the over enthuistic Jessica in IKEA who was all happy and lost in this new world of furnitures. Now he regretted making that suggestion. He didn't even know why and how he was still walking here with her. But 3 months ago he would never have thought he'd give in so much for any girl, much less Jessica.

“ Is this nice?” Jessica asked excitedly, posing beside a huge white closet.

“ Of course it’s nice.. “ Jonghyun said blankly and sarcastically without Jessica hearing.

Then she turned and gave Jonghyun The look.

“ What have I said?”

Silence.

“ What have I said?”

“ What?”

Silence.

“ What?”

“ Saying it “ nice” like that. I’m not stupid Jonghyun. If you didn’t wanna come why are you even here? I don’t even know why you bother to drag me down here to get something when you have no concern or interest in this at all. You didn't have to drive to IKEA all the way from the shopping mall to be bored by me.We can just go home and forget all about it okay?”

Jonghyun was puzzled. Why did she have to get so worked up about him not caring how these stupid furnitures all look the same? But that didn’t mean he didn’t care right? Why else would he be here in the first place.. And Jessica wasn't the type to care whether anyone was paying attention to her because she was so independent besides the only reason she would be bothered if let's say, her boyfriend or someone she really cared about didn't pay attention to her then she would.. 

At that thought, it occured to Jonghyun that he had already beginning to mean something to Jessica, much like how she was to him. And he smiled.

He took a look at Jessica who was now pouting cutely, with her arms crossed at him.

“ What’s wrong with it being a “nice” wardrobe? It is a “nice” wardrobe. It’s pleasant, agreeable, congenial and pleasing to the eye.” He stepped forward, leaning his whole body limply against the wardrobe like a love sick man and pressed his cheeks against it. Then he ran his fingers along its surface, attempting to emphasis in a gay voice, “ Smooth”.

A smile gradually cracked across Jessica’s face, which eventually manifested itself into a hearty grin. He’d won her back from the edge of an argument, which was no mean feat. He gave himself a pat on the back as if he’d just defused the time bomb that could have exploded in the middle of IKEA and possibly embarrassing himself badly here.

Jessica was now giggling. Somehow, things have changed. They still argue but they don’t throw poisonous insults at each other anymore instead he opted to make her laugh and smile and she, on the other hand, had been more tolerant of him and patient with her words and tone. Of course that hadn’t gone unnoticed although she didn’t really express how much she recognized that effort Jonghyun has put in.