Chapter 23

I'm your nanny

The rest of the trip was perfect and that night, as awkward as it was to talk about it afterwards, had made Jonghyun and Jessica closer than before. Whenever she was startled by something, it seemed natural now to turn to jonghyun, hiding against his arms and holding it. Meanwhile for Jonghyun, it was a natural reaction now to grab Jessica and pulled her close to him whenever he hears her scream, because he would get so worried for her over the slightest thing that scares her.

It was only 2 days since their return that Jessica heard her phone ringing and saw a familar name on her caller ID.

TOP.

That's right. She did remember on that drunk night that Jonghyun had agreed to let her go on a date with TOP to see how she really feels about him. As reluctant as she was to go now, not only because she was still disappointed with TOP's lack of committment for her for the past weeks, but most importantly she felt differently about him now. But she did owe him a date. And she didn't want Jonghyun to be making fun of her and triumping over the fact that she purposely turned down a date with TOP for him.

With a sigh, she answered the phone.

" Hey.." 

There was silent on the other side.

Finally, after a long second, she could hear TOP breathing on the phone.

“ I miss you, jessica.” 

She froze. What was that suppose to mean? Not calling her for a few weeks and now all he has to say was that he misses her? Is that suppose to explain anything at all?! As if sensing her questions, TOP continued,

" I'm sorry I haven't been contacting you. I just thought I should let you recover peacefully without having to worry about me and Jonghyun. I'm sure he'll give you alot of trouble if I called you or anything. I just wanted to give you space and a peace of mind but it wasn't easy for me to hold myself back from calling you. "

" Do you miss me? " He asked her back.

What was that all about? Now he says that he infact, didn't contact her because he didn't want her to worry and have an argument with Jonghyun over him? Why would he do that to her? Appearing like he didn't like her that much when she was crazy about him and now he was calling her to say that he misses her, openly expressing his feelings for her? What did he expect her to say? Did he not know that this was so hard for her? 

Would she choose Jonghyun, who she likes but was not certain if he is serious about her or just wants her as a prized possesion or choose him, who has been perfect and patient, dedicated to her?

There was no time for thought. The tone of TOP's voice demanded an immediate reaction. Here was her chance. She could break his heart without saying a single word or she could make his day.

“I miss you too,” she whispered quietly, hoping the flat tone would suggest to him otherwise. She couldn't bear to say it straight to his face that she didn't like him anymore.

But TOP sighed heavily with relieft.

This coulnd’t carry on; Jessica knew this of course. She had made another huge mistake. TOP didn’t want her pity- he wanted her affections. And she had none to give.She had to tell her the truth.

“TOP?” the time the tone of her voice must have given the game away because he didn’t reply. 

She could feel him tensing down the phone line, bracing himself for the blow.

“ TOP,” she began again, “ I don’t know how to say this..”

“ Don’t say it.” Said TOP. “ I know exactly what you’re going to say.”

“ I’m sorry. “ Jessica could only say.

“ Am I not good enough for you?” TOP questioned back.

Jessica was well aware how large her vocabulary was, and yet not a single word or phrase sprang to her lips in reply. She was speechless, although she was sure TOP took the length of time she took to respond as a sign that she meant Yes.

Although she thought about it again. It wasn’t that TOP wasn’t good enough. He just wasn’t good for her. And Jonghyun was.

But surprising her, TOP was more resilent that she had expected.

" But you do owe me a date. It would mean alot if you would come and meet me, even for the last time. If you don't have any trace of feelings left for me, I'll go and I won't come back unless you want me again. I promise. " 

Now this would be too hearltess if she said no. So seemingly without a choice, she agreed.

--

Jonghyun wanted to argue and stopped Jessica from going on the stupid date with TOP. It was a ridiculous and stupid idea and he wanted to throw Jessica out of the window for doing something so stupid if it weren't for the fact that he cared so much about her. 

He didn't want to look insecure because he was intimidated by his competition, TOP, but he was paranoid because Jessica was crazy about her. No doubt the bali incident had changed things for him, but Jessica's mind was a puzzle and he could only make a wild guess.

Jessica figured that since he didn't know how the phone conversation had went, naturally he'd be on his feet jumping, worried that she might choose TOP over him as the winner. Which would be the only logical explanation as to why he keeps walking up and down the staircase for no reason. He sure didn't want to lose. She sighed, realizing how disappointed she was at this thought because she wanted Jonghyun to genuinely feel jealous because he love her. Or even like, that would be good enough for her. 

Two hours have passed since Jessica had left for her date and Jonghyun was dialing her number like a psycho. He had been more worried about her than he thought possible. Of course Jonghyun didn’t expect the experience of letting his fiancée go on a date with possibly one of the hottest guy in school to be totally pain-free, but neither had he expected it to take its toll on him in quite the way he had. As soon as the line got through, Jonghyun cut it.

This isn’t the way to go. Surely he wasn’t gonna be insecure about it.

Jonghyun looked outside, it was beginning to rain heavily. And that made the whole evening even more depressing.

Until a phone call came. Never would Jonghyun thought that a misfortune of his family could bring him such inappropriate joy.