Chapter 24

I'm your nanny

An hour later, here they were, Jessica cruely ( and with pleasure) snatched away in the middle of her dineer with TOP and sitting here beside Jonghyun.

“ I’m not being prejudiced, but this woman has like the most monotonous voice in the existence of mankind,” Jonghyun whispered to Jessica who was on his right, and she responded with a stifled giggle.

“ But this is a funeral! “ she hissed back, jabbing him once again to stop making random comments about the whole funeral, though they were really funny. Even if this was a funeral, it was a thousand times more fun than a boring dinner date with TOP.

A distant relative of Jonghyun had passed away, one so distant that he has never ever met. And although he would usually not offered to go for the funeral because no one would care much whether he turned up anyway, he had made a fuss about it on the phone with Jessica, insisting that it's important they must come. 

And so here they were, sitting in the midst of Jonghyun's large family, of most whom faces he does not recognize. And yet this was the most fun funeral they would ever attend simply because they could not stop making inappropriate private jokes with each other. 

" Ajh, by the way did you hear anything from Minho?" Jessica suddenly remembered.

" No, what about him?"

" It's just Yuri and Minho is in some sort of misunderstanding because of this new girl, and they refuse to talk to each other so I thought you know, I should do something, give me an idea" suggested Jessica, her face was lit up with mischief, and Jonghyun found this cute.

" Okay, under one condition," he fake a straight face.

" What?"

" We have to get out of here. And get pizza." 

Jessica laughed almost too loudly. It was returned with some glares.

--

“ So?” Jonghyun shoved a piece of pizza crust into his mouth.

“So what?” Jessica was picking out the pickles on her pizza.

“ What are you gonna do about it?”

“Me?” She asked, surprised.

Jonghyun was still chewing“ This has to be stopped.”

“And you think I’m gonna stop it?” amused, Jessica replied. She was taking a bite off her pizza now.

“All right,” said Jonghyun. “ What are we gonna do about it, then?”

By the time they finished eating the entire pizza, Jonghyun and Jessica had formed the XX Rescue Commissions,the purpose of which was to make sure that Minho and Yuri restored understanding and to get rid of the dreadful third party that has been spreading lies.

" This is too simple. You're gonna have to put my talent to more use," Jonghyun gestured to Jessica, planning this whole operation had been more fun than he thought.

“ Well, this is the only mission we have now. Do you have another mission?” 

“ I thought you were the mission director.” Jonghyun argued.

“Me? Then what are you?” Jessica shot back.

“ Master Hit Man.” Jonghyun replied, pretending to put on a fake shades. Jessica burst out laughing and Jonghyun joined in too. It was too hilarious watching him.

“ Okay fine I will take that. “

They looked out of the window. It was still pouring heavily. It was getting late and they do have school to attend tomorrow so it didn't seem like any option that they had to run out of the shop in the pouring rain to get to their car. Worried that Jessica might fall sick, Jonghyun had insisted that she took medication before she sleep but she didn't want to take it because it was bitter. He was frustrated that she didn't want to do that and so the only thing he could do was to snuggle her closer to keep her warm during the night, while pretending that he was sleeping so that Jessica coudn't scold him.

--

Jessica work up next morning with a cracking headache. When she rolled over and realized her alarm clock hadn’t gone off, and that it was now nine thrity, she groaned aloud. Her head was throbbing so hard that it felt like there was a hammer hitting her head, her body felt so feverish and her she was burning inside. Still, she struggled to get on her feet, god knows what kind of trouble she would be in, waking up late for school and not waking up Kim Jonghyun.

“ It’s okay, don’t get up,” said Jonghyun, nudging open the bedroom door with his elbow and plonking a tray on the end of the bed. “ I turned off the alarm. And I’ve phoned the school. I said that we witnessed a car crash on our way to school and while we tried to rescue the people outside we got a little injured so we’ve gone to the hospitals but we’ll be back to school by tomorrow morning. “ He explained.

Jessica nodded, winced and clutched the side of her head. Getting into a sitting position was worse than climbling mount Averest. One thing about Jonghyun, he certainly came up with some inventive reasons for missing school.

“ Here, drink this,” Jonghyun passed her a cup of tea. He dropped flu tablets into Jessica’s trembling hands. “ And I’ve made you some toast if you think you can keep it down, “ Jonghyun hesistated, then went on, “ please don’t fall sick anymore. It’s worrying. “

Sipping her hot tea, Jessica almost coughed out and scald herself as she listened. She looked up from where she was, checking if Jonghyun was okay? Was he ill too? What was up with the sudden mellow voice..

“ It’s not like I can help it.. “ She replied quietly, not meeting his eyes anymore. Partly because they were studying over her so intensely that she felt nervous. She’d never seen him looking so concerned over anything before. She was burning even more under his gazing. It couldn’t be.. that Jonghyun really liked her could it? Because this was far too much to do for someone who just wants to win TOP.

" Why don't you go to school? I'll be fine by myself and don't even think of using me as an excuse to skip school, " Jessica asked, testing Jonghyun.
 
He look back at her with a flustered look. He hadn't thought of how to answer her that. " I overslept too so I was late anyway.. Just.. go back to sleep and rest." He ended abruptly and walked out the room.
 
Jessica shrugged and fell back asleep, there was a smile on her face now. She wish she was right, and even if she wasn't she didnt care, Jonghyun was showing all these care for her and she couldn't feel more loved.
 
--
 
Jonghyun ended up at the couch in his living room because he didn't want to be in his bedroom watching Jessica sleep as there was a huge possibility that he might just end up watching her and feel the urge to kiss her, which will be awkward if she wakes up in the middle of it. Besides, it was creepy to do that.
He wanted to cheer her up because he knew she hated falling sick and after wrecking his head, he decided that this opporturnity presented a perfect time for him to tell Jessica his true feelings. Even if she didn't want to accept it, he's never been so sure of his feelings like now and he didn't want to lose her to anyone.Even if he would be embarrased by her rejection, he would do it.
 
He'd decided to book a place for dinner. And for the next 3 hours, he had decorated the place thoughtfully, making it as romantic as he could recall from all those korean dramas. He even took her favourite candles ( that she collected as a hobby ) and some of favourite soft toys along ( which made no sense but he lacked decorations) and ordered way too many roses that the whole place now looked like a floral shop. When he was done, he was so pleased with himself that he was sure she was going to be in tears at least. He wondered whether Jessica would be awake and whether he should return to pick her up now.
 
His phone rang and shook him out of this thought.
 
It was Se Kyung.
 
With a sigh and reluctance, he answered it.
 
" What do you want?" His hostile voice almost threw Se kyung off the phone. 
 
But she didn't care. It was her last chance to make it right. 
 
" I'm leaving the country. I've got a scholarship in New York and I'm leaving next week. I need to speak to you for awhile. Can we meet?" she asked. Her voice was pleading.
 
Jonghyun considered for a minute but she cut short his thinking. " It's for the last time. I just want to see you before I go." 
 
He battled in his mind. What would Jessica think of him meeting with Sekyung again? And yet, if he refused, he would be too heartless and it did look petty of him to be this way since it is just a farewell meeting.
 
" Okay. But I can't take too long.I have plans in an hour.Where do we meet?" he said in a soft voice. He had a bad feeling about this.
 
--

As Jessica shower and get dressed in the evening, she’s totally fixated by thoughts of Jonghyun. She’s aware she’d reverted to the behaviour of a fourteen-year-old adolescent; that next she’ll be doodling “ Jessica loves Jonghyun” with a love heart dotting the i. But she don’t care. It’s not as though the boy she loves is more mature than this anyway. 

As she walked around the house, it became clear that Jonghyun wasn't home. But where had he gone too? To get dinner? But why didn't he call her?

Thinking that he might come home soon, Jessica decided to just watch TV till he returns. 

After a few minutes, she grew bored and that was when she decided to check her phone.

It was a text. From Jonghyun. Inside it was an address and nothing more with him only adding, i'm expecting you.

What does that mean?

Yet with so many questions, Jessica found herself driving to the address.

Reaching the address, it turned out to be a 3-storey quiet cafe. A well-decorated classy place that Jonghyun would have love.Which was probably why he had asked her along. Thinking about it, it seemed strange that he would text her like that. If he wanted to bring her here, why couldnt they have left together at home? Or did he sent the text wrongly?

Venturing deeper inside the place, Jessica was liking this beautiful place even more. It was filled with candles and pretty drawings.

The text had mentioned a rooftop so she headed for the lift. As the door opened, she found a half-open door staring back at her. Beyond it was a familiar figure.

Could that be Jonghyun? But there was someone else. Who was he with? 

Was she really right about Jonghyun sending the wrong text to her?

She remained rooted to the ground for a good few minutes, wondering if it’s worth checking out.

Then she decided that she had to satisfy her curiosity. She push the door open. And immediately she regrets it.

It was Sekyung, sitting right there with Jonghyun. This place has been so well decorated, so romantic, the kind of set up you would have for a couple. And there it was, a couple sitting right in the middle. When Jessica turned to look around, she became angry. Her soft toys were here. Jonghyun must have ran out of ideas to decorate this place and thought he could borrow some of her stuffs here and maybe she wouldn't have mind if it weren't for Sekyung.

Even if he didn't like her at all, must he do this to her?

Did he meant to call her here to see once and for all that after he's won her heart, he was ready to throw it away? That he was never serious about Jessica like how she didn't want to believe? Was this his way of saying because he was mocking her?

She can barely see what she’s doing, because her eyes are so filled with tears. Stupid eyes.

"Jessica!" Sekyung called, shocked to find Jessica behind. Then realizing that she would misunderstand this. And a smile came up her face.

Jonghyun turned around, shocked, not knowing what to do he tried to explain to her but it was too late. Jessica was already walking towards the table, wiping her tears away as she spoke softly that he could barely hear.

" Don't explain. You're a jerk I know." He wanted to reach out so badly and hold her hands but she was moving too fast.

 “ By the way, these aren’t even yours- they’re mine.”, she said. Referring to the candles but really meaning both the candles and Jonghyun.

She shove past him, grabbing along all her random stuff that she had mindlessly took out of anger and spite.

“ it’s just a misunderstanding okay? Why can’t you just stop and listen?!”

“ To what?” She turned around and snapped at him.

 Jonghyun was taken aback momentarily.

Then she continues, “To your excuse? No, actually it kinda makes sense you know. I was that idioit that fell for your trap completely. You made me believe that you really love me that I was right about rejecting top and now that you’ve won me over totally, you have my whole heart. You know that I will never ever go back to TOP because I already love you and completely weak to that fact. So it’s okay for you to finally get back with Sekyung now and leave me here heartbroken after you’ve won your battle.It makes perfect sense! so you know what? Please don’t explain. I’ll do both us a favour and just leave now. You could have told me nicely, you didn't have to bring me here to see it even if you couldn't say it out from your mouth“

Jonghyun was frustrated now.“ Why are you being so sarcastic right now?”But she didn't seem to listen." No. Look, you’re getting it all wrong! Why can’t you just let me talk!? Damn it Jessica!”

She was heading for the lift and he was desperatly following her.

Jessica wanted to get out of the place. She felt sick to her stomach. But it’s sort of hard to make a super dramatic and spiteful exit like that, though, when you have to stand there and wait for the lift to come. Jonghyun leans on the wall beside the lift, staring at her.

“ You know I’m not gonna run after you, “ he said.

She don’t say anything. Not like she wanted him to run after her.

“ I know you’re upset and it’s not what it looks like. Just cool down and we’re talk about it later okay?” he goes on.

Jessica stares at the numbers above the door of the lift, one by one. They’re abit blurry because of her unshed tears.

“ Jessica, okay?” Jonghyun repeated in his infuriatingly reasonable tone.

Thankfully, the lift finally came. Jessica gets on it without looking at him.

“ Goodbye Kim Jonghyun.”

As if TOP had a sixth sense, he called her at the right time as she was about to drive off.

She must have been way upset because she told him everything that happened, and TOP came straight for her.  And suddenly she’s taking his arm.

Which is how, an hour later she finds herself nesting on his warm soft couch. He just let her rest there and said she could talk to him if she wanted to. But she didn't. Instead, she just sat there thinking about the whole mess. Her hurt feelings, and replaying the whole scene when she shouldn't even be doing. The whole time TOP would sit by her, not saying anything. But understanding how much she love Jonghyun to be hurt this way, and how he would never have that place in her heart. Instead, he decided he would be her friend. A friend that would always be there for her, just like now.

Jonghyun felt stupid. Why didn't he think of that? To think that he could just meet Sekyung for a short while at the place he'd prepared for Jessica, of course she was going to misunderstand. He only thought Sekyung was going to leave after 10 minutes and then he would still have time to pick up Jessica but Sekyung didn't want to leave, she insisted on sitting down and great, now it must have look like he prepared this for Sekyung. 

The more he thought about it, the more regret crept up on him. Why couldnt he just meet Sekyung elsewhere, even if he didn't have enough time to drive elsewhere?

Being late to meet Jessica would still be better than this.