The Job Poster

A Maid's Heart

You dragged your feet along the streets of Seoul, thinking about what to do next with your life. You were wearing a white tee with a ripped and stained light pink sweater, jeans and a pair of muddy Converses. Your life wasn't always this bad. One year ago, you had a mum, dad and a sister called Mari and you lived a normal life where you went to school, go home to eat and then sleep. But one day, your mum and dad suspected each other of having an affair and they got into a massive fight.

 

They then thought of the best way to deal with this problematic matter: a divorce. The two of them signed the papers and couldn't wait for their relationship to finally come to an end and when it did, they found themselves a new partner and your dad flew to America while your mum went to Russia. So that left you and your sister and that asked for disaster.

 

Mari hated you. She hated that you had come into this world and stole all the affection mum and dad had for her so she left the house and is living somewhere else. So what did you do? You were forced to drop out of school because you couldn't afford the fees and you had to work part-time at many shops and restaurants to survive. But all those coins that they gave you wasn't enough to pay for the bills and food. You needed a real job.

 

But who would hire a high school drop out? No office or department store would accept one so when you tried out for a job interview, before you even told them about yourself they just shooed you away. How rude! But, there is one person that you can always count on in your life. Your best friend, Kang Minhyuk.

 

Minhyuk was always supporting you through the tough times and he even paid for your bills a couple of times. You promised to pay him back but you didn't earn enough to save yourself and pay back a friend. He insisted that he wanted to help but you don't like being in debt to someone, even if it's your best friend. But sometimes, you wonder if he should be friends with someone like you. He's constantly getting yelled at by his mother about hanging out with a drop out and that it would tarnish the family image but Minhyuk wouldn't blink an eye. You were his friend and unless you did not want to be together with him, he would never leave you.

 

 But two months ago, Minhyuk's mother forced him to go to a boarding school in the US and when you said farewell to him at the airport, you could see the happiness shown on his mother's face. She was practically glowing. He was about to leave you and you could do anything about it. Unfortunately for her, he promised he would come back a better man and that he will take care of you when he's finished high school there. You knew that it was a joke but you went along with it and said that you will wait for him with a giggle.

 

So now, you only have yourself to rely on and that meant going to KFC on time. You looked at the giant clock towering above everyone in the park across the street and your eyes bulged out when you saw the time. "3:15PM?! I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THERE AT 2:55PM FOR MY SHIFT! I'M LAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!" you screamed and dashed along the pathway with people giving you funny looks which obviously translated to: 'What is that crazy girl screaming about? Is she high?'.

 

But you didn't have time to worry about what people think, the only thing you were worrying about was how the manager was going to scream at you for being late. Again. You arrived at a traffic light and punched the button rapidly to make the crossing light go green. *C'mon! Hurry up!!!! This stupid light, WHY IS IT SO SLOW?! IT'S LIKE A COW!*

 

While you were busy thinking about how the seconds are going by, a piece of paper flew into your face. You were caught by surprise and as you pulled the paper away, the light turned green. You didn't have time to put the paper in the bin so you just stuffed it into your jacket pocket and ran towards the restaurant where customers will be waiting to be served by you.

 

"Here you go. Have a nice day!" you said cheerfully and the customer just grunted and left with his tray full of fries, hamburgers and soft drinks. You were exhausted from dashing to KFC and then having to stand for 4 hours plastering on a plastic smile on your face and walking back and forth, satisfying the customers stomach with junk food. Personally, you disapprove of eating too much unhealthy food and you shook your head on the inside when you saw a customer carrying with them a bag or a tray that is overflowing with deep fried food and a litre bottle of Pepsi.

 

You sighed with relief when you were able to hang your apron in the change room. In a flash, you slipped on your regular clothes and started walking home. You stretched your arms up high and when you let your arms drop to the side, you felt something in your right pocket. Fishing the weird object out of the pocket, you realised that it was the piece of paper that flew into your face and you had hurriedly stuffed it in your clothes.

 

"What is this anyway? A restaurant advertisement?" you muttered. Slowly but carefully, you opened the crumpled paper open and you were surprised to find that it was a job poster. You smiled and quickly scanned the poster to see who can qualify to do it and how much they were willing to pay.

 

You were shocked to see that anyone could do it and then your eyes scanned to the top of the page where it read 'MAID/SERVANT NEEDED TO LOOK AFTER FIVE BOYS'. Then, you quickly looked at the payment and it said 'PAYMENT WILL BE TOLD TO YOU WHEN YOU ACCEPT THE JOB. BUT IT WILL BE GOOD'. Your smile widened and you punched the air. "YES! I can finally get a proper paid job and it is only to look after some boys! How easy it that?! Yay!" you shouted.

 

Then, your eyes looked at the bottom of the page where it told the reader who to call of they were interested. 'CALL KIM SUNGMIN AT 0408 716 239. THIS OFFER EXPIRES AT WEDNESDAY 20TH MARCH AT 8:00PM'. You quickly put the poster closer to your eyes and you re-read that last sentence at least 5 times. Then, you looked around and through a clothing shop's window, you could see that the time was 7:55pm. "Oh my gosh! The offer ends in 5 minutes! I need to quickly call this guy before it's too late!" you exclaimed.

 

Running, you scanned the streets for a public telephone booth and when you saw one, you made a beeline for it and once you reached it, you pulled out some coins from your jean pocket, put them in the hole and dialled in the number written on the advertisement.

 

"Yeoboseyo?" asked the man. His voice was a slightly deep and he sounded a bit tired.

 

"Yeoboseyo? Annyeonghaseyo, this is Jang ~~~~~ and I called you because I want to try out being a maid that looks after five boys. I saw the flyer and I was interested in the job" you tried to say in a mature voice.

 

"Ah, yes! So you want to try out looking after my boys? Okay, well the jobs is yours! No one else called me since I started handing out those flyers so I'm really glad that you called me. So, let's meet at Café Elefante near the park where there is the giant clock at 12:00pm tomorrow. Is that a good time for you?" he asked in a happier voice.

 

"Yes, that is a very good time for me so 12:00pm at Café Elefante near the park, tomorrow. Great and thank you so much!" you said happily.

 

"No worries, sweetheart. Bye."

 

"Goodbye, sir" you replied.

 

When you put the telephone back into its receiver, you jumped and started to scream with joy. "Oh WOW! A proper job with good pay! And no one else has applied so the job is MINE! ALL MINE! Woohoooo!" you screamed and you ran back home, thinking about what to wear to the meeting tomorrow.

 

The man put his mobile phone back into his pocket and smiled gratefully. "No. Thank you, sweetheart. For looking after my boys. And not anyone can do that so lets see how you can take care of them" he said and he looked back at his five boys, dancing and singing happily together.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh… wow.

MY SECOND FIC! YAAAAAAAAAAY!

-claps madly for myself-

Well, I have made an awesome comeback and thank you for everyone who has supported me and I welcome new friends and subscribers too~ Hello! (Helloooooooooooooo… Hellooooooooooo. YES SIR, I'M ONE OF A KIND!) :D

Well, enjoy your reading, fellow friends and have a great day~ >v<