Table Talk and Plans

A Slight Ounce of Hope

Chapter 4

As if for the first time, Samantha actually enjoyed herself having dinner with both groups. They were really dorky and funny, not to mention hyper. She was surprised they had this much energy despite their hectic schedules and she commended them for it. She could only sit and watch as they joked around. Sitting with Beast felt a little more comfortable for her because she knew them better than BTOB. One day, she would like to get to know BTOB a little better. They seemed really nice from what she noticed and making new friends wouldn’t be so bad especially if she considered staying here a while. Because she was so caught up with her own problems, she had forgotten about spending quality time with her friends. She missed it a lot.

“How’s your food?” a voice interrupted her thoughts. It was Hyunseung.

“It’s yummy, thank you for asking,” she smiled, and then resumed eating.

“It’s really great seeing you again,” he said softly. “No lie.”

She was touched by the compliment. “I feel so special,” she blushed. “Well, I’m glad I’m here.”

“What brings you here?” he asked curiously.

Samantha froze. “It’s kind of a long story,” she answered. “And it’s also complicated.”

“I’ve got time,” he said giving her his full attention.

“Ahem,” someone cleared his throat: Doojoon. “Mind telling us what you’re talking about?”

The rest of Beast stared at them. Hyunseung’s eyes went wide. “Well, Sam was about to tell me a long story,” he answered.

“Does this have anything to do with why you’re here?” Junhyung asked in his usual blunt manner, prompting the girl to look down at her food. She was flustered.

“Junhyung!” Yoseob hissed at Beast’s rapper. “Can’t you see she’s uncomfortable? Don’t listen to him, Sam. If you don’t feel comfortable telling us, then you don’t have to tell us. Just tell us when you’re comfortable.”

“Well, Yoseob, guys,” she started to speak, “It’s kind of complicated.” She nervously looked at Dongwoon. “That’s why I needed to talk to you, Dongwoon. I’ll tell the rest of the guys after.”

Dongwoon knotted his eyebrows. “Is everything okay?” he asked in a concerned manner.

“I kind of need your help,” she announced.

“Help?” Kikwang repeated. “What’s wrong? What do you need help with? How can we help you?”

“Yah, Kikwang!” Doojoon spat out to Beast’s visual. “Stop asking so many questions.” Turning to Samantha, he asked. “Are you okay, Sam?”

“I’m fine,” she assured everyone. “I promise to tell you guys after I talk to Dongwoon.” She looked at her best friend.

Dongwoon nodded. “Okay, we’ll talk after dinner,” he said then resumed eating.

 

The rest of the evening consisted of BTOB asking Samantha questions about herself. Like how old she was (22), what her hobbies were (she liked knitting and reading, and she sometimes liked to write), what her musical tastes were (she listens to anything but rap and techno, much to the dismay of everyone because that’s what they enjoyed listening to >.<), what were her favorite movies (Black Hawk Down and Pearl Harbor because Josh Hartnett was in both films), and what her goals were (she did not think too far ahead yet).

Overall, they gave her a good laugh due to their random antics. She felt like this could be a start of a great friendship, she thought.

Suddenly, Changseob asked, “So how do you know Beast?”

The question caught Samantha and Beast by surprise. “Actually, I met Dongwoon before everyone else,” she began. “He needed my help and you can say we became buddies after that. Then I met the rest of the guys, and we kept in touch ever since.”

“Wow…” BTOB murmured.

“It’s true,” Dongwoon chimed in. “Despite her being a pain in the when we met, I warmed up to her.”

Samantha glared at him. “I’m a pain in the ?!” she exclaimed, “Says the one who nearly got me fired!”

“Hey! I was in a sticky situation!” he retorted. “Give me a break!”

“You still owe me after what I did,” she discreetly pointed out while examining her nails.

“I know,” he said dryly. “How could I forget?”

“Well anyways,” she continued. “Dongwoon and I bonded and soon became the best of friends. So to clear things up, we are just friends and nothing else. It’s hard trying to convince the B2uties otherwise.” she sighed glancing at Peniel across the table, remember how they met earlier in the day.

“I’m curious, how did you meet BTOB?” Kikwang asked narrowing his eyes at Samantha.

“She was with Peniel,” Sungjae answered.

Dongwoon eyed his best friend then looked at Peniel. “Oh really?” he cocked an eyebrow at Samantha.

She scoffed. “Please,” she said. “Don’t get the wrong idea. Technically, Peniel here is my very first friend upon my arrival. Right, Peniel?”

Everyone at the table turned their attention to him. Nervously clearing his throat, he finally spoke up, “Yeah, I guess.”

“Thanks for looking out for her,” Dongwoon said. “I don’t think she’d survive on her own if she didn’t know anyone. Ow!” he glared at her. She had kicked his shin from under the table.

“You make me sound as if I need constant supervision,” she stated.

“Well to be honest, I’m telling the truth since you sure like to wander off without looking,” he sneered.

“You are so lucky we’re in public,” she eyed him darkly. “Jeremy taught me how to throw some punches and a few kicks and I’m not afraid to show off my newfound moves.”

Dongwoon feigned a scared expression. “I’m so scared!”

“Watch your back, Dongwoon!” she hissed. “Or else I’ll open a can of whoop-!”

“I didn’t know cans of whoop- even exist!” he barked back.

The rest of the guys could not help but watch in amusement the exchange between the two. Whenever, Dongwoon and Samantha argued, it was like watching siblings bicker back and forth. They had to admit it was pretty funny. “Alright, you two,” Doojoon intervened. “I think that’s enough bickering for the day. Save your energy for tomorrow. Which reminds me, we should be heading back to the dorm.”

Eunkwang looked at the time. “Oh right! We should also be heading back,” he announced to his own members. “Thanks for joining us!” he said to his seniors.

“Thanks for having us!” Doojoon went over to bid them farewell. “We had a lot of fun. Let’s do this again!”

“Come on, Sam,” Yoseob put an arm around the girl’s shoulder as everyone got up to leave.

As soon as they were outside, Dongwoon took Samantha aside away from the guys. “Alright, talk to me,” he said.

She proceeded to tell him about her dilemma boarding the wrong flight and now she was stuck with basically nowhere to go. “My family is convinced I’m in Bangkok and they’re expecting me to call them to ensure my safe arrival,” she pointed out.

“Bangkok?” Dongwoon repeated. “Don’t tell me. Is he there?”

Samantha looked away nervously. “Maybe,” she said softly as she kicked her foot lightly against the pavement.

Dongwoon groaned in frustration. “You can’t be serious,” he scoffed. “What do I do with you? I’m not letting you go to Bangkok, especially for him of all people.”

“Come on, Dongwoon,” she pleaded. “It’s not what you think. I just want to see him one last time. Just this once, I’ll get my closure and be done with it. Please understand.”

“Let’s say you get your closure,” he said, hypothetically, “And then what?”

She became silent, not thinking too far ahead. He made a valid point. “That’s for me to figure out,” she answered. “Don’t worry too much about me.”

“So what about now?” he asked. “Have you decided on what you plan on doing for the time being?”

She gave him a small smile. “Well, I was actually hoping you could maybe help me?” she asked coyly.

He crossed his arms. “Depends on the favor,” he narrowed his eyes at her.

“I need a temporary job, and a place to stay for the time being,” she said quickly looking away. “I mean, remember that time we first met? You told me you owed me a favor in return for me helping you…”

He sighed then rubbed his temple with his right hand, then let out an annoyed groan. “I’ll see what I can do,” he said. “In the meantime, you’re spending the night in the dorm with us.”

“Oh my gosh!” she hugged him. “Thank you so much!” She grinned widely like a child and one couldn’t help but smile with her.

He gave into her sudden action, smiling to himself. “Hold on,” he pulled away from her. “Don’t get your hopes up, yet. I have to ask the other guys’ permission first. If they’re okay with it, then great but if not, there’s always plan B.”

She looked at him in confusion. “Plan B?”

“You could spend the night in the Cube building,” he said.

Her eyes went wide. “What the hell?!” she exclaimed. “Isn’t that building haunted or something?”

Dongwoon chuckled. “Oh yeah, there was this story about this trainee who died from a freak accident. They say his ghost likes to lurk around the halls at night,” he spoke in an animated tone.

She shoved him, glaring. “That’s not funny!”

Dongwoon started cracking up. “Oh come on, the look on your face was priceless!” she crossed her arms and continued glaring daggers at him. He calmed down. “Okay come on, let’s go back to the guys,” he said leading her to them.

 

A/N: Hey guys! Here's another update! I hope you enjoy it. Sorry it's kind of boring but I'm trying to build up the plot in some ways. I know my writing needs  a lot of work lol. I'm writing as I go. But enjoy! :D