One Last Time

A Slight Ounce of Hope

Chapter 24

Samantha took out her luggage and began packing her belongings. The boys were not home yet and she wanted to make it quick before they saw her. She hadn’t figured out what she would do yet but given the fact everyone hated her at the moment, she would have to stay in a hostel for the night and book an early flight to Thailand in the morning. That sounded like the best plan for now. Her thoughts were soon interrupted when the door to the dorm opened and she froze in her tracks hearing BTOB enter. “What’s up with Peniel?” Minhyuk’s voice rang out along with a shuffling of footsteps. Soon, she found herself eavesdropping on the question as she took a peak into the living room.

“I don’t know,” Hyunsik shrugged. “He’s been acting strange all day.”

“We’re all having a talk with him when he gets back,” Eunkwang announced.

“Do you think it has to do with Sam and Jihoon?” Ilhoon asked curiously.

“Where is she?” Changseob asked. “I haven’t seen her all day either…”

Eunkwang sighed. “I don’t know either,” the leader answered. “I just heard from the staff that she gave Mr. Hong her two weeks’ notice. She’s probably getting her situation settled as we speak. I know you guys aren’t fond of her leaving us but it’s her decision and if we care about her, we should support her decision. I’ll be happy to know she’s happy. Now, I don’t know about you guys but I’ve come to accept her decision and I’m not mad at her anymore. I suggest you guys do the same.” Samantha tried her best to blink back tears upon hearing Eunkwang’s little speech.

“It’s going to be really quiet without her,” Hyunsik finally said.

“Yeah, with her weird antics,” Ilhoon chuckled. “There were a lot of fun times with her.”

“She’s really pretty too,” Minhyuk chimed in.

Samantha chuckled between tears as she continued to listen. “She promised me she’d teach me how to make carbonara,” Sungjae said. Right, she thought remembering the promise she made after cooking dinner for them.

Suddenly, her phone chimed prompting everyone to freeze. . “Who is it?” Eunkwang asked, his tone sounded as if he was scared.

Samantha stepped out slowly from her room. “Hi, guys,” she said softly.

“Oh, it’s you,” Eunkwang sighed in relief. “You scared us…”

“You mean you’re the one scared, hyung,” Ilhoon snickered prompting the leader to glare at the young rapper.

“Have you been crying?” Minhyuk asked suddenly.

Samantha wiped her eyes. “I’ll be fine,” she told them.

“What were you doing?” Hyunsik asked curiously.

“I was just packing some of my things,” she answered looking away.

“Oh,” they all replied somberly.

With a hopeful smile after a long silence, she spoke up, “Who wants carbonara?”

 

“Okay, Sungjae,” she turned to the younger member. “I need you to stir around the pasta.”

“Is this okay, Sam?” Minhyuk asked from behind. He was in charge of chopping up the bacon and onions.

“Perfect!” she gleamed. “Now, I just need you to put simmer those onto a skillet. Got it?”

The visual nodded and did as he was told. “Now, Hyunsik,” she turned to Cube’s Eye Smile Prince. “I need you to warm up the sauce.” Hyunsik, in turn, nodded the heat for the sauce as he stirred around.

“How’s that pasta looking, Sungjae?” she asked glancing over his shoulder from behind.

“I don’t know…” he replied sheepishly.

Samantha chuckled. “Here, let me see,” she took the spoon from him stirring it around. “Let me show you something a friend back home taught me…”

The maknae eyed her curiously. “Okay…”

Samantha in turn grabbed one of the noodles and decided to hurl it at the ceiling above them.

“Wow…” Sungjae, Minhyuk, and Hyunsik uttered with their mouths agape.

“If the noodle gets stuck on the ceiling, it means it’s ready,” she pointed out. “Do you guys want to try it?”

Soon, the boys were enjoying themselves tossing the pasta into the ceiling. Samantha couldn’t help but giggle at their childish antics. Good things must come to an end, her subconscious said. Her smile became pained as she tried to be strong. After taking a deep breath, she said, “Alright, we should start eating.”

That night, she could not bring herself to eat with everyone else so she sat and brooded playing with the food on her plate. Eunkwang had caught on when he looked at her. “Is everything okay?”

“Huh?” her eyes met his. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

He was unconvinced nevertheless. “Are you sure about that? It’s like there’s something on your mind at the moment,” he said.

Samantha sighed. “A lot of things are running through my mind, Eunkwang,” she said finally.

“Is it about your plan on leaving?” he asked with a hint of sadness.

She nodded. “I’ve been meaning to tell you,” she started to say. “Something came up and I might have to leave sooner than I thought.” She blinked back tears. “I haven’t been honest with any of you guys and I’d like to tell you why.”

Soon, she had proceeded to tell them the story about her plan to go to Thailand not for vacation but it was to see someone. This was someone she had feelings for but was never sure if he would return those feelings and she had taken to following him just to get closure. But things didn’t go as planned and here she was staying with BTOB and Jihoon. “I don’t want you guys to think I’m using you just to stay here. I needed a place to stay and a job. I mean I love working with you guys despite your antics and if I could choose to do this again I would but I can’t stick around forever,” she looked down at her plate. “I hope you understand.”

Eunkwang gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. “We understand,” he said. “We wish you the best of luck and hope you get what you ask for.”

“Thanks, Eunkwang,” Samantha smiled.

The door to the dorm opened and in walked Peniel. “What is she still doing here?” he asked sharply glaring at Samantha.

“I’m just leaving,” she said standing up to go to walk to her room but Peniel grabbed her arm.

“We’re not finished,” he gave her a warning tone.

She shook him off and glared at him. “After that little speech from earlier?” she scoffed. “There’s nothing to talk about. I’m doing you a favor so if you’ll excuse me, I’m gathering my things. A cab should be here soon.”

“What the hell is going on?” Eunkwang chimed in. “Did we miss something?”

Samantha violently brushed away her tears and turned to BTOB’s leader. “I failed to inform you guys that I’m leaving tonight,” she sniffled. “I’m sorry you had to find out this way.”

“Wait, what?!” the other exclaimed.

“But they said you were leaving in two weeks?!” Changseob exclaimed.

“I made arrangements with Mr. Hong,” Samantha announced. “The decision is final. I’m so sorry guys…” she looked down.

 

She had asked the driver to take her to one stop before the hostel. With a deep breath, Samantha stood in front of Ailee’s dorm and decided to press the buzzer. After enough shuffling, she was surprised to find Jihoon answering the door. “Sam…”

Samantha found herself face to face with the guy who opened his heart to her. Guilt took over as she thought about what had happened and she couldn’t bring herself to face him. “Is Ailee here?” she asked averting her eyes away from him.

“Jihoon, who is it?” Ailee stepped out from behind the shadows glancing from behind the taller guy’s shoulder. Her expression immediately darkened when she spotted her best friend. “Sam, what are you doing here?”

“I needed to talk to you,” Samantha said as she glanced over at Jihoon, “Alone.”

As soon as they were outside, Ailee spoke first. “I saw the whole thing earlier. That is just messed up, Sam and you know it. Jihoon is a good guy and doesn’t deserve to be treated this way. I can’t let you hurt him anymore, Sam. That’s why I’m—“

Samantha groaned in frustration. “I’m not here to talk about Jihoon!” she exclaimed angrily. “You guys suit each other anyways.” She added. “I just came to say goodbye because I’m leaving first thing tomorrow morning and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

Ailee’s eyes went wide. “W-what?!” she exclaimed. “You can’t be serious…”

“Well, I am,” Samantha’s voice broke. “I wish you and Jihoon a happy life together. Turns out, I’ll be enjoying warm Southeast Asian weather in no time. So goodbye, Amy.” She started to cry then walked off.

Ailee caught up to her and turned Samantha around to hug her tightly. “You can’t leave,” Ailee cried. “I don’t want you to leave.”

“I have to, Amy,” Samantha sniffled. “I don’t belong here…”

“It means you’re choosing him. You’re letting him win,” Ailee said, “Why?”

Samantha pushed herself away. “Because he makes me feel like I belong,” Samantha said. “I know he’ll accept me as I am. I can’t be with guys like Peniel or Jihoon because of the suffering I would have to endure with their fans. And I would have to compete with the likes of you and other beautiful people for them. I don’t want that, Amy. I’m scared and you know it. So choosing him is my only chance. I still have an ounce of hope left.”

“No,” Ailee shook her head. “Please, give up, Sam. He doesn’t care about you. You don’t belong with him. I’m not letting you go to him.”

“I’m sorry, Amy…” Samantha cried.

“I’ll let you stay with me until then,” Ailee suggested but knew it was no use.

“I have to go,” Samantha said turning to leave.

“Sam!” Ailee exclaimed pulling Samantha’s arm. Samantha shook her best friend off and went into the cab.

Ailee watched helplessly as the cab drove off with her best friend. Sobbing, she sunk to the ground. “I didn’t try hard enough to keep her here…” Before she knew it, someone helped her up: Jihoon. He allowed her to cry on his shoulder as he held her close.

 

A/N: Here's another update for you guys! I hope you enjoy! Again, I think this chapter is kind of choppy so I apologize! >.< As a reminder, I have to work this weekend so I might not be able to update... In the meantime, please enjoy! -Manda