Together

A Slight Ounce of Hope

Chapter 15

Dongwoon burst out laughing upon hearing the story about what had happened in the convenience store. “Dongwoon, would you like to get punched in the face by me?” she asked calmly.

“I’m sorry, Sam,” he snickered. “But that is just too funny!” he started cracking up.

“You guys are so cruel,” Samantha shook her head, crossing her arms. But when she thought about it, what happened was pretty funny as she chuckled to herself.

“Oh no, Dongwoon,” Ailee feigned a shock expression. “She’s smiling! Is that a smile I see, Miss Samantha?”

“What?! No,” Samantha immediately stopped but couldn’t keep a straight face.

“I think it is,” Dongwoon pointed out. “I bet I can make her laugh again.”

Ailee gasped. “Do it!!!! I want to take a picture of this!”

Samantha’s eyes widened as Dongwoon whispered something to Peniel, “Oh no...” A mischievous smirk appeared on the younger boy’s face as he nodded. Then, both boys shifted their attention to Samantha.

“I go left and you go right!” Dongwoon commanded Peniel. “Go!”

Soon, the boys attacked her with tickles prompting her to shriek and laugh hysterically. “Stop!” she exclaimed as she giggled. Ailee laughed as she snapped a picture of the three before her. The boys were both laughing as well, then stopped and held onto Samantha posing with her.

Everyone was all smiles when the laughter died down. They managed to get one of the employees to snap a picture of the four of them together. It was a nice picture because everyone was so happy. Samantha wanted Ailee to email it to her when she got the chance so she could set it as a background picture on her computer, not to mention she planned on uploading it to her Facebook page.

 

“Did you have fun?” Samantha asked Peniel as they walked back to the dorm.

“Yes, actually I did,” he smiled. He meant it too.

“Wanna do it again sometime?” she asked.

“Sure, why not?” he nodded. “So why didn’t you tell me your best friend was Ailee?” he couldn’t help but ask.

“Sorry,” she replied sheepishly. “I forgot to tell you. We were schoolmates actually. She and Dongwoon are two of the most supportive and understanding people I know.” She informed him thinking about her best friends. Then she turned to face him.

“If the guys ask, we went to the convenience store.”

He nodded. “Convenience store, got it.” He said as they opened the door to the dorm. It was dark and quiet. Everyone was already asleep to their relief. “Alright, good night, Sam.” He whispered before going into his room.

“Night, Peniel,” she said then went into her room.

Turning on her computer, she decided to check her Facebook. With status updates from her friends and family back home, she realized she missed them. Stacy was celebrating her anniversary with Gabe and Jason asked a girl out to prom in the cutest way possible from what she heard.

To: Stacy and Jason,

“Your sister misses you guys very much. I hope you’re doing well. I’m doing okay, still trying to adjust here in Seoul. I’ve met some interesting people. You guys might like them, especially you, Stace. Tell Mom, Dad, and Marie I miss them and I love them. Be sure to tell them I’m doing fine. Alright, I’m going to bed now. Love you guys,

-love, Sammie <3”

Out of curiosity, she decided to check on him. So she clicked on his profile and viewed his recent photos. He was currently in Vietnam for his friend’s wedding. In the picture, he stood alongside the groom and the other groomsmen wearing a matching black suit. He looked really handsome, she thought clicking onto the other albums. He seemed well physically, that is… she wondered if training has been hard on him. There were just so many questions looming, Samantha had to fight the urge to send him a message. She could text him but the last time she did, he never replied back to her. Even though it was no big deal, she swallowed her pride trying to talk to him. She had given up but thought about the plan to see him again when he was going to Thailand, “We’ll meet again, Jeremy.”

Uploading the photo Ailee finally sent her, she made it into her profile picture since her current one was outdated. This would ensure everyone she was doing okay, she thought. After she was finished, she logged off and turned off her laptop. Soon, she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

 

“Sam, you know you’re special to me,” Jeremy said to her. “You were always special. That’s why no one else can have you.” She smiled upon hearing him say that to her. He’s never been the type to be open and honest like that.

But he would never say that, she thought. Then it slowly started to dawn on her that she was dreaming. Jeremy never said anything like that to her. “No, you don’t mean it,” she said shaking her head.

“You mean the world to me,” he said reaching out to her.

“No I don’t,” she refused to believe him. “You’re not real. You never say things like this. Stop lying to me!”

“I’m not lying, Sam!” he tried to grab her hand.

“No! Just leave me alone!” she exclaimed. “You’re not real! This is just a dream… This is just a dream…” she repeated to herself hearing a faint knocking sound.

Samantha woke up gasping. Looking around taking in her surroundings, she was in her room. The pounding she had heard from her dream was a result of someone pounding on the door, “Sam! Open up! Are you okay?” it was Changseob.

With a deep breath, she proceeded to answer the door. The vocalist breathed a sigh of relief. “What happened?” he asked, “I heard you yelling.”

“Nothing,” she said. “I just had a bad dream.”

“Oh,” he said, “You had me worried back there.”

“I’ll be fine,” she assured him. “I just had a dream about something I shouldn’t be dreaming about.”

“Ah,” he nodded in understanding and then proceeded to hand her a cup of coffee. “You’re gonna need this.”

Samantha took it from him, “Thanks,” she said looking around. “Where did every one go?”

“They went out,” he answered. “It’s just me and Hyunsik today. We were planning on going to the skate park. Did you wanna tag along?”

“I’m suspended, Changseob,” she informed him. “Don’t you remember?”

“Yes,” he nodded. “But Mr. Hong said you could go out as long as you have someone accompanying you… In this case, you have me and Hyunsik.” He said matter-of-factly.

“But I don’t skateboard,” she said.

“Ah-ah-ah,” he held up his index finger, “Hyunsik doesn’t either, and that’s why I plan on teaching him too. Come on, get dressed. We’re getting ready to leave soon.”

Samantha had no energy to argue so she complied with the vocalist’s wishes. It wouldn’t hurt to go to the park for one day. Besides, since she started working for BTOB she never got to spend time with Changseob and Hyunsik. For all you know this might be fun, she thought as she got dressed.

“Good news!” Changseob exclaimed from the living room. “Peniel is meeting up with us too!”

“That makes me feel a lot better,” she muttered.

 


“Changseob, I can’t do it,” Samantha nervously tried to balance herself on the board.

“Just relax,” he said from behind holding her up. Massaging her shoulders, he spoke again, “You’re too tense. Just relax.”

“How the hell can I relax when I know I’m gonna fall and hurt myself?!” she snapped.

Hyunsik and Peniel tried their best to stifle their laughter but were snickering nevertheless.

“That’s what the helmet and pads are for,” Changseob replied. “Everyone falls and hurts themselves, Sam. Just don’t be scared.” He told her still helping her balance. “Okay so follow my lead like this… with one foot on the ground and the other on the board. I want you to kick off the foot on the ground so you can move like this. Peniel, I need you to show her.”

Peniel immediately demonstrated what Changseob was trying to teach her. He was flawless. “See? Do what Peniel’s doing,” Changseob pointed out.

Samantha nodded and Changseob finally released her. When she started to move she lost her balance and screamed, “AHHHHHHH!” then landed on her back. Lying on her back, the boys ran over to her.

Surrounding her, Changseob leaned down to help her, “Are you okay?”

She groaned in pain turning over, “If I wasn’t hurting, I would murder you but you’re too nice so I’ll let this go,” she finally said.

“Are you gonna be okay?” Hyunsik asked from behind.

She nodded, “I’m just very clumsy, Hyunsik.”

He chuckled. “You’re doing a good job,” he assured her.

“Don’t pamper me,” Samantha said dryly. “I don’t have a sense of balance. My posture needs work and you know it,” She said as she went back to the skateboard.

“I’ll help you,” he said then suddenly he placed his hands on both sides of her waist.

Samantha gasped. Then she started to feel uneasy. He chuckled as he felt her stiffen when he held her, “Changseob hyung’s right, you are tense,” he said. Leaning into her ear, he said softly, “Relax.”

She gulped then soon, Peniel stood in front of her taking her hands in his. “I got you,” he assured her.

“See? Peniel’s willing to help out,” Hyunsik pointed out.

“Good! Thanks for helping her out, boys!” Changseob yelled out to them, giving them a thumb up.

“Okay, Hyunsik you move her forward while I pull her towards me,” Peniel informed the older boy.

Hyunsik nodded to ensure he understood. “Are you ready, Sam?” he asked.

Gulping, she nodded. Slowly, Hyunsik began to move her towards Peniel. “Relax,” Hyunsik’s voice brushed her skin.

She closed her eyes, refusing to look. She was afraid of losing her balance. “Okay on the count of three, I’m gonna let you go,” Hyunsik informed her.

She opened her eyes immediately, “NO!” she yelped. It all happened too fast like a flash of lightning because she had lost her balance and landed on top of Peniel, who fell backwards into the pavement.

“Are you guys okay?!” Changseob ran over to them. “I knew it was a bad idea to let go of her! Damn it, Hyunsik!” he scolded the younger member.

Samantha and Peniel both groaned in pain. “Are you okay?” she managed to ask, not realizing her face was inches away from his.

The younger boy could only groan in return. Opening his eyes, he saw multiple Samanthas with her words echoing back and forth. His field of vision was blurred by the image of her wearing a helmet. When he finally gained consciousness, he realized she was on top of him.

“Ahem,” someone cleared their throat. Peniel and Samantha turned their attention to Hyunsik and Changseob, both puzzled at the sight before them.

Looking back at each other, Peniel sat up and Samantha moved away from him. “Who wants ice cream?” she suggested.

 

Here's another update... Sorry for another boring chapter. I just wanted to include the other boys. The main character never got to spend quality time with them so I figured I'd fit this in for a bit. I'll update the next chapter again. Enjoy!