Girl Time

A Slight Ounce of Hope

Chapter 9

The cafeteria was pretty crowded during the lunch time. Luckily, the mousy Samantha found a table in the back corner. It was empty but she didn’t mind because she liked to eat alone. She was used to it anyways. She wasn’t a loner, she had plenty of friends but they were at other schools so she only got to see them during the weekends. But they were just acquaintances and she decided not to keep them close. She was betrayed by someone she called her best friend before and she didn’t want to make the same mistake again.

As soon as she settled down, she put on her headphones and took out a book to read: “Anna Karenina” by Leo Tolstoy. It was her favorite book and she was finally glad she had time to read it. She had just started reading the part where Anna bought her son Sergei presents for his birthday when she was interrupted by someone standing before her. A girl stood holding her tray and looking at Samantha, “Do you mind if I sit here?” she asked pointing to the chair across from Samantha.

“Not at all,” Samantha gestured for her to sit down.

“Gosh, is this cafeteria always so crowded?” the girl complained.

“Yep,” Samantha nodded. “It’s your lucky day because there are always people at this table, or if not, it’s always a mess because people sure like to leave their for the cleaning ladies.”

The girls chuckled together, and then proceeded to eat. “Are you new here?” Samantha asked curiously.

The girl nodded. “It didn’t work out at my other school,” she said. “It’s my first semester here.”

“Oh really,” Samantha raised her eyebrows. “Well I’d like to welcome you, uh, what was your name?”

“I’m Amy,” she introduced herself, “But everyone calls me Ailee.”

“Nice to meet you, Ailee,” Samantha shook her hand. “You don’t mind if I call you Amy, right?”

The girl grinned and shook her head, “I don’t mind. What was your name?”

“I’m Samantha, but you can call me Sam,” she said.

“What’s your major?” Ailee asked curiously.

“I haven’t decided yet,” Samantha looked away sheepishly. “I’m thinking English Lit with a minor in History. I at math and science so I won’t be working as a doctor or rocket scientist anytime soon.” She said, “What are you majoring in?”

“I’m majoring in Communications,” Ailee answered. “But that’s just my back-up at the moment,” she said.

Samantha eyed her curiously, “Your back-up?”

Ailee nodded, “Yeah, I’m hoping to get into music,” she said.

“Oh,” Samantha replied. “Like show biz?”

“Yeah,” Ailee nodded, “But it’s kind of complicated. It’s very competitive. I don’t know if it’ll be possible.”

“Hey, you never know until you try,” Samantha said. “What is it that you do exactly?”

“I sing and dance,” she answered.

“Oh really,” Samantha was awed. “Well, you can’t be that bad.”

“I don’t know, Sam,” Ailee sighed.

“Do you have any film of your performances?” Samantha asked. “If so, can I see for myself?”

“If I show you, will you promise not to laugh at me?” Ailee asked sheepishly.

Samantha narrowed her eyes at her new friend. “Why would I laugh at you?”

After much persistence, Ailee took out her phone and showed Samantha some of the video covers she did on YouTube. Upon hearing her, Samantha literally got goose bumps. She seriously was talented. “I’m speechless,” Samantha said finally.

“Is that bad?” Ailee asked finally.

“NO! I’m wondering why you’re here when you could be off recording or something!” Samantha beamed. “You are AWESOME!”

“Thank you,” Ailee smiled genuinely to her. “I still think I need to work on some other things.”

“Well, if you say so,” Samantha said, “but I seriously think you’re flawless. Any producer would be an idiot to not take notice of real talent. That frustrates me thinking about it,” she sneered.

Ailee chuckled, “Thanks, Sam,” she said. “I’m really glad I met you. You’re my first friend here.”

“Um, sure,” she said, puzzled. She had to admit she was touched by Ailee’s compliment nevertheless. Maybe making a new friend isn’t so bad, she thought. “Would you like to hang out again tomorrow?” she asked finally.

Ailee beamed and nodded. “Okay! Maybe we could grab something better to eat than cafeteria food,” she suggested eyeing her tray with a look of disgust.

“Of course!" Samantha beamed. "And yes, the food here is blegh..." she feigned disgust prompting Ailee to giggle.

 

The café was nice and had an intimate setting. Samantha wished cafes were opened this late back home but taking in the scene was not as important as seeing her best friend. Ailee literally tackled Samantha to the grown upon spotting her. The girl grunted in pain when Ailee still held onto her. “Well, hello to you too,” Samantha mumbled.

Ailee pushed herself away still smiling. “Why didn’t you tell me you were here?!”

Samantha straightened herself up. “I was planning on it but I got busy,” she said. “And I assumed you were busy.”

“Well even if I had a million things to do, you know I’d still make time for my best friend,” Ailee pointed out.

“Of course,” Samantha smiled.

Before her arrival, Ailee took to ordering Samantha her favorite toffee-nut latte and ordered a white chocolate mocha for herself. She went to pick up the drinks and proceeded to sit across from Samantha. “Okay, so tell me what happened,” Ailee said finally. “Don’t leave anything out.”

Samantha explained her situation in greater detail as Ailee sat and listened. “As you can see, I didn’t know I would be here. If I did, you know I would have told you. So please, don’t be angry with me,” Samantha looked down at the table.

“I’m not mad at you,” Ailee reached over and held Samantha’s hand. “As a matter of fact, I’m glad you’re here. I miss my best friend.”

“Miss you too,” Samantha’s eyes glistened.

“So tell me, why were you supposed to be in Thailand?” Ailee asked curiously.

Samantha moved her hand from Ailee’s and started fiddling with her cup. “No particular reason,” she replied sheepishly. “You know I’ve always wanted to go… And there’s this event I’m hoping to attend.”

“What kind of event?” Ailee narrowed her eyes.

“It’s nothing special,” Samantha shrugged. “There’s a match that I just wanted to see.”

“It’s him, isn’t it?” Ailee asked.

Samantha looked away, “Maybe…”

Ailee groaned in frustration. “Seriously?” she said as if there was no surprise. It was clearly no surprise knowing her best friend. “Of all people, why him?” she asked. “What makes him so special?”

“He’s not that bad,” Samantha jumped to his defense.

“He hurt you, Sam. I don’t get why you’re defending him. I thought you were letting him go.”

“I know,” Samantha sighed. “This might be my only chance, Amy. If I don’t do this, I don’t know if I’ll ever see him again.”

“You sound as if he’s dying or something,” Ailee muttered dryly.

“I don’t know… he might be married soon,” Samantha pointed out. “I just want to be sure of my feelings for him, that’s all.”

“If he doesn’t feel the same,” Ailee started to say. “Would you be able to accept it?”

After a long silence, Samantha spoke up, “Yes.”

“Are you sure?” Ailee asked finally.

“Yes, I’ll be fine,” Samantha assured her.

Ailee sighed. “You know I hate seeing you like this,” she said. “I miss the old Sam who used to be all weird and stuff.”

“So you’re saying I’ve changed?” Samantha cocked an eyebrow at her best friend.

“Not really,” Ailee said coolly. “You’re still the same. Just a little more boring…”

“I’m boring?” Samantha repeated.

“No offense, all you talk about is Jeremy,” she said. “It gets kind of old after a while. He’s old news, Sam. Besides, there are probably a bunch of cuties here that are dying to go on a date with you.”

Samantha rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Not interested,” she said dryly. “And what makes you think they’d want to date me? I’m not even Korean.”

“Who says they have to be Korean?” Ailee asked smugly. “You just have to meet the right ones, duh.”

“Whatever,” Samantha shook her head chuckling. Checking the time, it was already 3:00. She had to be up in a few hours. “I hate to leave you but I should be heading back to the dorm right now. Another long day tomorrow…”

“Right,” Ailee stood up then hugged Samantha. “I’m really glad you’re here.” She said softly.

“Likewise,” Samantha agreed.

Pushing herself away, Ailee finally said, “Don’t be a stranger, okay?”

Samantha nodded. “Okay, I won’t. I promise,” she said smiling.

“Bye, Sam!” Ailee waved.

“Bye, Ames!” Samantha waved back then exited the café.